PDA

View Full Version : The Crone

thrawn
08-01-2009, 14:09
Last night whilst I had nothing to do, I opened the Dark Elf army book as is my want to do during such dull nights, and began reading through to ensure I had not missed anything of value. Well, my eyes fell upon Crone Hellebron, a special character in the book, and after some tinkering, I believe I have come up with a pretty great combo.

Put Hellebron in a unit of Black Guard with the Banner of Hag Greaf. Now you have a character, who on average will have 8 attacks that ASF, WS7 (can reroll in first round of combat) @ S10!!!!!! No, no, maybe you didn't hear me. A8, WS7, S10 reroll first round of combat and ASF. Why wouldn't you do this? Plus the unit is stubborn and immune to psych, so in the ultra off chance you actually lose (which I don't think would ever happen, even against chaos warriors of Khorne) you don't have to worry about running away. Let me know what you think.

Freenut
08-01-2009, 14:40
Know a guy who did that in a recent tourney. Worked great until she got into a challenge with a khorne herald with armor that made here mage weapons count as mundane. As long as your opponent does not plan for it should work great.

Cambion Daystar
08-01-2009, 14:41
Welcome to the next "Deathstar" unit. So many points in 1 place. My mortars will have a field day...

PARTYCHICORITA
08-01-2009, 14:44
It's indeed pretty nasty but the crone is still naked and the guard poorly armored. If you are planning to field such a unit i would put a cauldron somewhere on the list for the 5+ ward blessing.

Goruax
08-01-2009, 15:27
I took her down with a Tzeentchian Exalted and a lovely killing blow. Soooo many points down in a single hit :)

Malorian
08-01-2009, 15:33
Very nasty indeed. Only problem is that much like Grimgor or a nasty dwarf lord, the unit will be shot up, flanked, or redirected and ignored.

But for sure use it now and then to surprise your opponents ;)

thrawn
08-01-2009, 15:58
ya ya no doubt it's not invicible, but as most of you said a nasty surprise. like any expensive character any unit she joins will cost an arm and a leg. oh how i wish they let witch elves and executioners have 50 point magic standards. i know why Gav didn't, wanted people to take the cauldron, but man how i wished you could.

Dooks Dizzo
08-01-2009, 16:04
Um...doesn't she have the 'Khainite' rule? Meaning she could not join the BG.

You could use a hag BSB and a unit of executioners to do what you want though.

Magx
08-01-2009, 16:27
She has the Khainite "ability" but she still can join a Non-Khainite unit. It's the Khanite unit that can't be joined by Characters that don't have this ability.

"...note that Khainite characters may still join non-khainite characters..." p.43.

g0ddy
08-01-2009, 16:33
Khainite characters are free to join any unit.... However that doesnt work the other way around....

This is one of the main problems I have with crone, given her T3 and complete lack of any save... This "Combo" is one of the only logical ways to use her... however - I would deem it as rather excessive/op/cheesey for normal play...

One of the only other routes to use her successfully is probably in a witch elf unit that stacks hand of khaine in order to protect her.

PS... Dont forget the 9x S4 ws5 rerolling missed hits... I6 ASF attacks from the BG themselves.

~zilla

Frankly
08-01-2009, 17:02
Very nasty indeed. Only problem is that much like Grimgor or a nasty dwarf lord, the unit will be shot up, flanked, or redirected and ignored.

But for sure use it now and then to surprise your opponents ;)

And the big difference is that the DE armybook is a really good book to make lists that can delivery hammer units to where you want them to go. There is alot of LOS blocking mobility that's really good at dealing to enemy shooty support.

Grimgor kinda has mobile support in wolf rider for example but DE have it in spades.

But your right it'll be a really nasty surprise to anyone who doesn't read the DE armybook.:)

...... and why wouldn't you chuck in an assassin.:evilgrin:

sulla
09-01-2009, 05:51
"Grrrrrr! Zombies/Dogs/Fast cavalry! Lets get them boys!"

And off they run...

Usopreme
09-01-2009, 06:01
throw an assassin in the unit and you have yourself the definition of all eggs in one basket.

Jericho
09-01-2009, 06:15
Yeah they are begging for Hellblaster/Organ Gun/magic missile death even without the Assassin. Extreme overkill.

Cambion Daystar
09-01-2009, 06:19
throw an assassin in the unit and you have yourself the definition of all eggs in one basket.

Then add a BSB too while we're at it...

Scythe
09-01-2009, 06:45
Crone is (and always was, in previous editions as well) a glass hammer. She hits like a wrecking ball, but dies if anyone sneezes in her general direction. She is the prime example of models relying on the 'if you kill it before it strikes, you'll never get hurt' principle. Naturally, dropping her in a unit with the always strike first banner is a prime solution to achieve this... Not much, besides people with absurd ward saves, can stand against 8 S10 hatred attacks. It can be a very nasty surprise for people who never encountered her before. She has hitting power at Archaon level, for half the points cost, but at cost of survivability.

Problem, of course, is surviving long enough to reach combat. Black Guard, especially, die very fast to shooting / magic (the latter can be partially negated trough the ring of hotek though), and they still only move 5 inches. Of course, there's also the risk of Hellebron chasing after some fast cavalry conveniently popping up before the unit. In short, in can be a nasty trick against those who are unprepared, but it is certainly not unbeatable.

I took her down with a Tzeentchian Exalted and a lovely killing blow. Soooo many points down in a single hit :)

I guess she was not in a unit with the always strike first banner then ;)

Cambion Daystar
09-01-2009, 08:52
I'd just park my GUO with pestilent mucus and noxious vapours against her. I get to strike first (4 strength 8 attacks), and if she wounds me, she gets to take a T test for every wound i suffer, together with all the other models in B2B with me.
Or a bloodthirster with Obsidian armour, or a chaos lord with runeshield, ....
Lots of ways to get around it/her.

thrawn
09-01-2009, 20:41
daystar, there is not doubt about it, there are ways around her, but what i'm sayin' is if you don't know she is in your opponents list and you just take a regular all around army, you'll struggle to beat this. you won't even know who she is untill your in combat with her. i mean you'll just suspect a regular DE army, then you'll charge the BG and get smoked. i still wish executioners could take a 50 point standard, i would rather put her in that unit, just more fluffy!

Cambion Daystar
09-01-2009, 23:09
Why won't you know she is there beforehand?

Goruax
09-01-2009, 23:44
Actually, a GUO Level 1 with Pestilent Mucus is pretty all-roundery, just horrifically resilient in combat.

@Scythe;
She had the ASF Banner. I'm what's known as a jammy git ;)

Though she does hit like a ton of bricks, the trick is to not let her.
This is where units such as Hounds and other throwaway units come in reeeeeally handy.

"Oh, you've got Archaon/Hellbron/Insert-Name-Of-Another-Awesome-Sauce-Character have you?"
*Pokes the Hounds to run in front of them*

Dooks Dizzo
10-01-2009, 01:09
The Great Unclean one is a great spoiler to the Crone, but any Druchii player worth his salt would avoid that match up pretty easily.

I personally would string some shades or Harpies out in front of her and keep her from Frenzy'ing off to her doom :)

You can make BG pretty darn resiliant really. The Ring of Hotek does a serious number on magic.

I run a unit of Cold One Knights right next to my BG for support and it has worked magnificently for me for several games. (I use Malus, so no Stupidity problems for me!)

Edit: Thanks for clearing up that Khainite thing for me guys! Don't know how I missed that...

Scythe
10-01-2009, 09:42
@Scythe;
She had the ASF Banner. I'm what's known as a jammy git ;)

Ahh, the joy of the dice going against special characters is not like any other, is it? ;)

Nothing more satisfying as taking down a 400+ character with a 100 pts wight with killing blow for me personally. :p