PDA

View Full Version : mono chaos armies?

robnixon
08-01-2009, 14:53
Im thinking of starting mono chaos armies one will be a slaanesh army and one will be a khorne army do you think they could work? i really like the zhufor model for forgeworld and think im goig to buy it.

also wondered about drednaughts in chaos are they worth it, i thought for khorne a two hand weapon one as then it cant shoot itself

i really need some help here

Hellgore
08-01-2009, 14:59
I just must support this idea... I've seen too many TS/WE/EC/DG-mixed armies now and I'm just annoyed just how all the fluff got shot out of the latest dex. And I believe, these could still be powerfull armies.
Give them Khornies mobility so the units can quickly charge their enemies.

Whitehorn
08-01-2009, 15:01
Chaos Dreads don't shoot themselves, they have a small chance of shooting a friendly unit IF you happen to be closest to it. You could take a safe option of missile launcher - pick frag if you have to shoot yourself.

EVIL INC
08-01-2009, 15:05
Yes, go for it.
It is now more possible then ever to field mono-god or legion armies. In earlier editions, the chaos list was bland and lifeless as the legions were one dimensional travesties. Now, you can use icons (definately needs work) to add in other units such as raptors, bikers and such that were unfluffily removed from the legions. True, the icons are not perfect and need work but half a loaf is better then none at all.
Now, you can field actual fluffy and well rounded mono-god or legion armies that are competative and fun to play.
Of course, there are a few out there with thier heads in the sand who are still throwing fits over the loss of thier free champions and unfluffy daemon bombs.

Reaver83
08-01-2009, 16:13
I've got a couple of mono god lists, my old WE and a DG mini list, whilst they are fluffy, I've found using multi god lists more enjoyable to play, it makes the most out of what's available in the codex and just is more flexible!

Bassik
08-01-2009, 16:48
My all Nurgle list works damn good, and I am certain other mono-armies would also rock, not in the least because they look amazing.

Sanctjud
08-01-2009, 17:27
"the chaos list was bland and lifeless..."

I say that about the new Codex, IMO.

As someone once said, I don't mind balanced unit, I don't mind underpowered units, I just don't *********** want STUPID units, and there are stupid units in this codex.

IMO all lists can work, it's more to do with how you use them.
I think Pure lists based on old fluff make some armies an uphill climb.

I think Thousand Sons would be hard, while everyone else would be much easier...but to be honest, I personally don't like TS at all...

My 7 Cents.

Bassik
08-01-2009, 18:28
You are, affcorse, reffering to the Chaos Spawn and Possessed. And maybe the Dreadnought.
I don't mind the Possessed that much, I usually take them. Sure, terminators would be betther, but possessed look so loveley on the battlefield, and their abbilities are all usefull, except for scout.

The dreadnought... is fun in a Khorne army. It realy fits the Beserker theme.
Its not the best choice, but its certainly not stupid.

But... the stinker.
The spawn.
These are indeed very dumb.
They suck at close combat, they can't shoot, can't claim objectives, have no protection at all, and are expensive.
I mean, what where they THINKING? You can't even direct them properly, because they're allways running to the nearest enemy, usually to DIE of rapid fire.
And if they get in combat, they still are useless!
WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING?
I'd rather put three plasma cannon Dreadnoughts behind my marines then take ONE spawn.
I'd rather proxy my terminators with coins! I'd rather use Skaven rules for my Chaos Marines then to use those spawn! ITs insane! I HATE THEM!
I HAAATE THEM! RAAAARGH!:mad:

Gray Hunter
08-01-2009, 18:36
I am currently working on an all Death Guard army. I have a good friend who has played a dedicated Emperor's Children army since third edition.

Frankly I think most Chaos Marine armies should be dedicated to one god. The worshipers of the different gods of the Chaos pantheon have very different objectives and motivations, and will normally only work together under exceptional circumstances or under the leadership of a particularly strong-willed lord (e.g. Abaddon).

squeekenator
08-01-2009, 18:36
Ok, so we agree that the current Chaos codex can make good mono-god armies. Done. The old codex does not come into it, and neither do Possessed, Dreadnoughts or Chaos Spawn. Just because the title has the word 'Chaos' in it does not mean that this is a 3.5 vs. 4th argument. We had one of them way too recently to start it up again.

Col. Dash
08-01-2009, 18:54
Chaos marine armies are supposed to be mono themed. A khorne and Slaanesh army would never willingly work together and the demons would duke it out. Same goes for Tzeetch and Nurgle. When I say willingly, I mean someone more powerful than them would have to order it to make it happen. As for the non-aligned legions, they are a little more loose in who they work with, although they would be quick to doublecross each other if it was to their advantage.

Democratus
08-01-2009, 18:59
That's the old fluff. In the new codex and fluff all of the Chaos forces have no problem working together.

I'd say that all of the mono-forces are effective with the notable exception of Thousand Sons. Keep in mind that a force dedicated to a single god can not have Obliterators (imo) because they are infantry that can not carry a mark or icon.

Gwedd
08-01-2009, 19:09
I have an entire Khorne army. No other gods accepted, thank you very much. I also keep to the old fluff, 90% CCW armed, all troops are Berserkers, all units have 8 minis, etc.

It's fun to play. :)

Cuda
08-01-2009, 19:22
I have 4 Chaos 'mono' armies.

Emperor's Children; all painted with ROC mini's, 1st Dread, Land Raider & the first ed. Daemonettes. Came in 2nd tournament and won best painted twice.

Iron Warriors; all converted and not shiny, dark and angry, very shooty. Opponents want to buy this army.

Night Lords; scary looking (modeled after Jason, Pyramid Head and assorted slashers. Chaos Lord on a bike, lightning claw and long hair, vampire-bikers. All are Night Lords, no Heavy Support but a lot of Bikers.

World Eaters; Running Berserker Dread, all mobilized Berserkers and a Cannon of Khorne that counts as a Vindicator.

Working on a Death Guard army next.

I may not win very much but when I do it makes it all worth the time and effort. I can't play Chaos any other way. BTW, I use all those duff units like Predators, Havoc Squads, Dreadnoughts, Spawn & even Possessed. The key to these games is fun first...I win.

Cuda...

loveless
08-01-2009, 19:27
I support mono-god armies. Especially Slaaneshi ones. I'm still trying to figure out why I don't have an all-Slaanesh Chaos force of some sort...

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 20:14
I support mono-god armies. Especially Slaaneshi ones. I'm still trying to figure out why I don't have an all-Slaanesh Chaos force of some sort...
You don't! Heresy! I demand you do one at once or no tentacles and spiky bits for you.

Me? I have 3 Slaaneshi armies. Thinking of doing a 4th one.

Sanctjud
08-01-2009, 20:18
Just because it's 'old' fluff doesn't mean it's dead.

It depends on the individual player and what he wants to do with his own army.
Certainly nothing stops them from doing what they wand and nothing stops some of us for complaining up 'non-fluff' stuff, but it's up to them and what they want to do, GW has decided that we can do mono or mixed, nothing wrong with it, all legal, but without own written fluff it does certainly look pretty.......messy, as if there is no identity to the army just being a 'warband' is IMO a sidestep to the hobby as a whole.

/shrug.

@Bassik:

Dread: THEY DID NOT NEED TO TOUCH THE CRAZED TABLE, it was fine before. They took out the 'if no enemy in sight' part = stupid.

Spawn: as you agree, stupid (points wise IMO)

Possessed: DID NOT NEED TO BE TOUCHED, but yea.. they got changed, one word makes them Stupid IMO, "after".... it should really be "before" but no ****.

Greater Daemon: Stupid decision which results in Blandness.
Lesser daemons: more blandness.
Lords w/ marks without Cult upgrades, stupid.
Daemon Weapons, robbing ALL attacks on a 1, stupid.
Plasma Pistols vs. Melta guns = stupid.
Taking away autocast powers from TS = Stupid
Giving the autocast power to Typhus = lol, but stupid again.
Taking away Lucious' CC prowess and giving it to Kharn (like he needs it) = stupid.
Taking away plague swords so the only viable special CCW's on champs are powerfists = stupid.
Taking aw.......etc.... and like the previous posters have said, no need to get into this.

Possessed and scouts, I love scouts when not playing on Dawn of War missions.
Dedicated transport = 12 move to enemy lines... if you get first turn, congratz you just moved 24" into almost into enemy delpoyment zone first turn...a great distraction.

Don't get me wrong... I've had plenty of games with my CRAP LEGION... (an army list I came up with, with all the units I find that are crap):

HQ-Lord, MoK, DW. (random, eat my own face)
HQ-DP, no wings. (no no-brainer wings)
E-Dread, Multi melta. (maybe I'll fry my own rhino)
E-8 Possessed, IoCG, Rhino. (WHAT WILL WE DO??)
T-7 TS + Sor, PI, BoC, Rhino. (we can take on MEQ's, BUT I WANT TO SHOOT THAT TANK!!)
T-7 Zerkers, Champ w/ Plasma Pistol, 2 plasma pistol, PI, Rhino. (WE R SHOOTY LOLZ)
T-8 Lesser Daemons. (WE ARE HERE TO ANNOY YOU AND THEN DIE?)
FA-5 Raptors, 2 plasma guns. (Min sized, rapid fire...jump) troops...what could go wrong?
FA-3 Chaos Spawns. (Giving us a 'chance'?.....what's that? Can we eat it?)

So far I've had much fun and record so far is 2 wins and 2 draws.

Rock Stars include possessed, spawn, and the dreadnought funny enough. I personally still hate to use them in my serious lists... but it's alot of fun.

My 7 Cents.

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 20:33
Just because it's 'old' fluff doesn't mean it's dead.

It depends on the individual player and what he wants to do with his own army.
Certainly nothing stops them from doing what they wand and nothing stops some of us for complaining up 'non-fluff' stuff, but it's up to them and what they want to do, GW has decided that we can do mono or mixed, nothing wrong with it, all legal, but without own written fluff it does certainly look pretty.......messy, as if there is no identity to the army just being a 'warband' is IMO a sidestep to the hobby as a whole.
I do agree that even if you are free to mix and match, you can make themed armies. The problem is that as all the codexes and army books are balanced so that what one god lacks, another fixes. So the end result is that picking a mono-god list is not shooting yourself in the leg, it's sawing your leg off with a rusty spoon.

It would be nice if there was even some consideration to the fluff, but then a Warriors of Chaos has all daemonic gifts in one pool, it makes me a sad panda. I mean, come on, a Slaaneshi hero running around with a Collar of Khorne.

loveless
08-01-2009, 20:45
I mean, come on, a Slaaneshi hero running around with a Collar of Khorne.

Well, that one's a bad example, since the description for a Collar of Khorne just says that it's a prize for besting a Fleshhound in combat.

Now, a Nurgle Sorcerer with the Third Eye of Tzeentch - there's your "fluff abomination" :p

redbaron998
08-01-2009, 20:56
Mono-Khorne for me. I refuse to ever mix the Gods. If I did as soon as the game started my units would have to assault my own units with different marks, which would be bad. Ha Ha

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 21:01
Well, that one's a bad example, since the description for a Collar of Khorne just says that it's a prize for besting a Fleshhound in combat.
Yup, yet Chaos Marines can't take assault cannons and grav-plates from loyalists...

Besides, aren't daemonic stuff suppose to disappear once the daemon dies, as they loose the link to the real world? I mean, I don't remember reading much about piles of daemon corpses rotting in the sun for days on end. I think there was some story where a someone who wanted to study a daemon's corpse. They were away for a few minutes to get some supplies, and in this time the daemon and all its belongings had disappeared.

Lord Inquisitor
08-01-2009, 21:23
Im thinking of starting mono chaos armies one will be a slaanesh army and one will be a khorne army do you think they could work? i really like the zhufor model for forgeworld and think im goig to buy it.
I have an Emperor's Children army and it does very well for itself (I've won several local RTTs with it). Mono-Nurgle armies are very common (assuming you can actually bear to take to the table without the Lash of Submission). I've not actually seen a pure-Khorne army recently, but it should certainly be do-able (you can always take CSM units with Icons of Khorne for more shooting ability).

Chaos Dreads don't shoot themselves, they have a small chance of shooting a friendly unit IF you happen to be closest to it. You could take a safe option of missile launcher - pick frag if you have to shoot yourself.
Dreadnoughts are ... sadly lackluster. The table is a major pain. There is a 1 in 3 chance it will go mental and when it does, there's a 50% chance it'll do exactly what you don't want it to.

Running at the enemy with Fleet isn't too terrible to happen (although it can be annoying) but if it Fire Frenzies that's a complete pain. Unless you stick your dreadnought way out in the opposite end of the table from the rest of your army like a naughty schoolboy, if it Frenzies it is very likely to shoot your own stuff (because it'll turn to shoot the nearest squad). So you need to plan on it shooting your own stuff - as a result if you do run a Chaos Dreadnought, try not to give it anything more powerful than a pea-shooter. As a consequence the two-CCW variant is the only one you really see hit the table as it doesn't carry any really powerful shooting weapons.

Gods only know why they took the old rules (which were unpredictable, but at least if you rolled a Fire Frenzy it shot twice at the enemy) and nerfed it so badly. People rarely took Dreadnoughts back then and now they're completely not worth the points. I take one periodically because I like the model but it's really swimming upstream, I count myself lucky if it doesn't actually have a negative impact on my army!

Besides, aren't daemonic stuff suppose to disappear once the daemon dies, as they loose the link to the real world? I mean, I don't remember reading much about piles of daemon corpses rotting in the sun for days on end. I think there was some story where a someone who wanted to study a daemon's corpse. They were away for a few minutes to get some supplies, and in this time the daemon and all its belongings had disappeared.
Depends. Especially weapons and armour are often made from material components. A soul-grinder that is destroyed probably will leave some material components when the daemon is banished. Obliterators are quasi-daemonic, and of course there are daemonic artefacts like daemonswords. A collar of Khorne can certainly take a form that is at least semimaterial.

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 21:39
If it's pure Warp stuff when summoned, it should return to the Warp too. Lets face it, whether it's flesh or metal, its still Warp energy in one form or another. I doubt there are great factories within the Warp to produce blades and armour for daemons from metals and such. They're powers gifted by their gods, and used as such.

Weapons and machines forged from corporeal materials and then imbued with Warp energies, would hold its form. Such like defilers, obliterators and daemonic weapons.

Lord Inquisitor
08-01-2009, 21:47
There are great factories within the Warp to produce blades and armour for daemons from metals and such. ;) Check out the fluff for Soul Grinders - it is called the Forge of Souls.

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 21:57
There are great factories within the Warp to produce blades and armour for daemons from metals and such. ;) Check out the fluff for Soul Grinders - it is called the Forge of Souls.
I only have the WHFB book, so no Forge of Souls there to explain the Collars. Besides, is there information on what the Forge is, besides some of GW's latest concoction, which might disappear the way of the Squats, Zoats and Farsight's longevity?

Lord Inquisitor
08-01-2009, 22:12
There's quite a bit on this Forge of Souls, it appears that this is a region of the Realm of Chaos itself, but the most prized creations are made of materials that originate from the Materium, but have felt the touch of chaos - such as the mighty war machines of the Chaos Titan Legions.

At least in 40K, there are also many references to blasted machine-worlds in the Eye of Terror where the materium and Warp meet.

MrBigMr
08-01-2009, 22:29
Well, naturally such creations would be sort of "kill in the house and garden" variant (wonder if such weapons have dual forms for the material plain and Warp, like the Soul Reaver sword has in the Blood Omen/Soul Reaver series has a both material and spectral form), but things like the Dark Mechanicus places within the Eye, etc., are only recent making. I somehow doubt that all the stock daemon goods are made there. I don't see much point, as daemons can morph their own weapons and what good would it be to waste corporeal material on a daemon that once dead, leaves it behind?

Corporeal materials with daemonic abilities are mainly good when used by mortals. A daemon can be gifted with a weapon that it won't leave behind, but a weapon that might loose its stability in the material real in the hands of a mortal who lives there, is not good either.

the neckbone
08-01-2009, 22:50
I love my mono slann army, had it since 3.5 ed
and as for dreads i take mine with two close combat weapons its tasty

adreal
09-01-2009, 00:19
Yes mono-god armies can do well, I take a mono slaanesh and it does do well for itself, but I also take some totally unmarked squads (icons are pricey) and some oblits. I've found howeer that sticking to the numbers does hurt alot, and especially with slaanesh you usually need two units to do ones job if you stick with 6.

But thats the price for having bass guitars they blow people's insides out I suppose.

Hashshashin
09-01-2009, 00:33
I play a WE only army since 3rd, and it's still pretty rugged after all these years. They either wipe the floor with the opponent or get schooled, usually one or the other.

Recently I've thought about throwing in some oblits and I fielded raptors with the MoK a couple of times, but Berserkers in rhino/Land Raider never fails...if they get to an enemy unit, even at half strength of 4, they usually destroy it pretty quickly.

So I say to the OP do it...you can do it.

ps. and I recently got the FW Lord big Z and I use him as a counts as Abbadon, he never fails to kill mad enemy models (infantry, tanks, dreads, whatever) and take an incredible amount of fire before he falls, if he falls.