PDA

View Full Version : 2k Ogres for upcoming tourney, need advice!

Dtrik
08-01-2009, 19:07
Hey everyone, there's a big tournament coming up and yes I'm bringing my ogres. Typically not the most competitive army, I've still had alot of success with my ogres but have only recently been playing games 2000pts and up. Anyway, the list is very restricted to models that I own, using just about everything I currently own. Originally I thought the tourney required a BSB, now I realize that it doesnt. So my dilemma is to keep my awesome BSB conversion in the list, or finish up my 3rd butcher conversion. With a low Ld army of low CR ogres, the BSB is pretty valuable, however, with 3 butchers I would have much more reliable magic support and defense, but would lose out on the Ld support and combat brutality of a BSB toting bruiser. Here is the list so far (very rough, needs work):

Tyrant
-GW, HA, Kineater, Gnoblar Thiefstone (or Wyrdstone Necklace)

Bruiser
-BSB, HA, Warbanner

Butcher
-Halfling Cookbook, Dispel Scroll

Butcher
-Dispel Scroll

3x Bulls
-Bellower

3x Bulls
-Bellower

3x Ironguts
-Bellower, Standard

3x Ironguts
-Bellower, Standard

9x Gnoblar Trappers

3x Yhetees

2x Leadbelchers

Scraplauncher

Gorger

Gorger

This is pretty much exactly 2000pts. So either I drop the BSB for a Butcher with room for full magic item allowance (bangstick? skullmantle? blood cleaver? got options) which might negate the need for 2 scrolls with the extra dispel dice, freeing up some more points. The only other options in my collection are two more leadbelchers, I don't field all four anymore since they are very prone to blowing themselves up and doing very little, although they may be of more use than the scraplauncher which I have rarely used (although it has proven pretty useful, moreso as a chariot than a warmachine though).

So what do you all think? BSB or Butcher? Any other advice? Help an ogre out.

Malorian
08-01-2009, 19:15
Change the cookbook to a bang stick for a little eaxtra magic power.

Between the BSB and the butcher I'd have to side with the butcher.

Catferret
08-01-2009, 19:20
To be honest, I'd abandon the Scraplauncher in a tournament environment. Too many cannons around. It'll be paste after a single hit. More Ironguts will likely stand you in better stead.

I'm personally not a fan of the Halfling Cookbook either. I think the Bangstick will serve you better as something to zap annoying skirmishers with, or maybe draw out dispel dice.

It's been a while since I used my ogres but those are a couple of things I can remember at least.

Dtrik
08-01-2009, 19:50
so scraplauncher dropped for belchers and BSB dropped for butcher? I may have some nice points left over too. thanks