PDA

View Full Version : Vlad VonCarstein's mysterious block of nothing

agent032125
09-01-2009, 02:33
I bought Vlad Von Carstein this morning and was cleaning him up for priming, but there is a mysterious block pewter between his right elbow and his bear cloak.

At first I thought it was sprue or excess pewter, but it's in a devilish position to remove, but seems to serve no purpose. It's just a rectangle of unadorned metal.

I went on CMON to see how other painters were removing the obstruction, and to my suprise, none of them had. Even the well known and highly rated painters just left it there, despite its apparent lack of purpose. Most people just paint it like part of the armor and pretend it's not there.

Has anyone else mentioned this? I'm trying to see what GW did with it, but thier website is trash and won't load on my work computer.

BattleofLund
09-01-2009, 03:06
... it's not his elbow armour, then? No, you would have thought of that.

My guess is, from seeing quite a few odd casting details, that it's a 'blind spot'. I.e. a point in space where there should rightly be nothing, but due to limitations in casting a bridge of metal is left.

When I come across this on my models, I try to remove it IF it is really visible - from the main viewing angle. Otherwise I ignore it and paint it in an unobtrusive colour; life's too short etc. I know at least one obsessive perfectionist who has sawn apart a model for this reason, removed the offending piece of metal, and then glued the model back together.

But I have some SANE friends too... :)

agent032125
09-01-2009, 04:16
That's what is so odd about it... it's not in an obscure position on the figure; in fact it's visible from the primary viewing position, is clearly not part of the design (unless the sculptor intended Vlad to have a 2x4 growing out of his elbow like some strange cancer) but everone, and I mean everyone, just paints it right in as though it were something.

Once you notice it you can't ignore it. Go to CMON and you'll see what I mean.

Halelel
09-01-2009, 04:44
Well, after looking through several pictures on CMON, it seems most are treating it as a piece of armor (think of it as a loose roof shingle) that is just loose because he is bending his right elbow. However, after looking at it for a while, it does seem to be rather out of place on the mini.

And you are right, not many seem to notice or care, as every model I've seen thus far has it painted as a piece of armor.

Braad
09-01-2009, 08:56
Indeed. Very strange that they didn't notice it. I always cut away such bits, but sometimes while painting I find more... Dunno, maybe it doesn't look weird enough.

Nuada
09-01-2009, 11:06
I think it's a channel feed to the bear arm of the cloak, but it doesn't make sense because you'd have thought the mould maker would have put it closer to the claws. I'll ask someone who made the master

vahouth
09-01-2009, 11:13
Is this the mysterious block?
It is also in the same place on the left arm, so i guess it must be armour...

The Clairvoyant
09-01-2009, 11:13
Having looked at my vlad which is still unpainted, its just a bit of elbow armour. On the elbows are two sticky-outey bits. One is a bat wing, and the other is a spike. Its the same on both elbows.

Unless i'm looking at the wrong bit :S

vahouth
09-01-2009, 11:53
Having looked at my vlad which is still unpainted, its just a bit of elbow armour. On the elbows are two sticky-outey bits. One is a bat wing, and the other is a spike. Its the same on both elbows.

Unless i'm looking at the wrong bit :S

Correct! It just looks a bit funny (the right one i mean).
IMO though, the problem with Vlad is the funny looking fingers, especially inside the palm.