PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt dwarf army need help please

maze ironheart
09-01-2009, 09:53
Hi I've been playing warhammer for over 9 years now and have decided to play in a GT tournement.I went to my local GW manager and he warned me that I should expect loads of chessy armys so I've come up with one.

(Lord Choice)

1-Thorek Ironbrow.505pts

(Hero Choice)

1-Thane with crossbow and shield and master rune of alaric the mad and rune of stone.132pts

(Core Choice)

15-Quarrellers with shields and standard bearer and musicain.195pts

16-Quarrellers with shields and standard bearer and musicain.207pts

10-Thunderers with shields.150pts

(Speacial Choice)

1-Cannon with rune of forging.125pts

1-Bolt thrower with engineer.60pts

(Rare Choice)

1-Gyrocpter.140pts

1-Organ gun.120pts

Totol-1694pts

I just need help in making this list perfect if any one can help I'll be greatful just need to see what else I should add should I take a runesmith or a engineer.

Aeolthir
09-01-2009, 15:26
You have an Anvil of doom so you must take a unit of miners maybe 8 to 12 strong with steaming drills. This choice is quite simple... you get the miners on turn 2 or 3 due tu reroll and charge in the rear of an opponent the same turn with the power of the anvil on doom.
Perfect to take out war machines or charge good block of infantry (no bonuses for rank and you get +2)

Replace at least one unit of quarrellers for a block of 20-25 warriors.
Then, with the points left, think about a unit of ironbreakers or hammers (15 to 20 strong).

I think that's about it!

maze ironheart
09-01-2009, 16:30
You have an Anvil of doom so you must take a unit of miners maybe 8 to 12 strong with steaming drills. This choice is quite simple... you get the miners on turn 2 or 3 due tu reroll and charge in the rear of an opponent the same turn with the power of the anvil on doom.
Perfect to take out war machines or charge good block of infantry (no bonuses for rank and you get +2)

Replace at least one unit of quarrellers for a block of 20-25 warriors.
Then, with the points left, think about a unit of ironbreakers or hammers (15 to 20 strong).

I think that's about it!

I was thinking miners but thought should'nt I just use the anvils power to blast the enemy to slow them down and shoot them to death.

Ozorik
09-01-2009, 19:19
Miners have limted use. Personally I use 10 of them. They work now and again but against some armies you would be better off simply using a warrior unit with great weapons.

You really need solid infantry blocks. Your firepower cant stop everything and if something reaches your lines in a reasonably healthy state you had better hope that they are goblins.

Id take a BSB or a dragonslayer instead of an engineer (expensive and doesnt add much) or a runesmith (you already have 6(7?) DD).

Gunlines = meh.

Aurellis
09-01-2009, 20:20
This army is going to be extremely vulnerable to Dark Elves, Nurgle WoC, Wood Elves and Combat Vamps.

The problem is you have nothing that can take a charge. Against armies with strong cavalry, fast infantry, or just keep getting backup you'll have serious problems. Try adding in a Unit of 20 Ironbreakers and a unit of 25 Warriors. A BSB would probably be a great addition too.

maze ironheart
10-01-2009, 10:39
This army is going to be extremely vulnerable to Dark Elves, Nurgle WoC, Wood Elves and Combat Vamps.

The problem is you have nothing that can take a charge. Against armies with strong cavalry, fast infantry, or just keep getting backup you'll have serious problems. Try adding in a Unit of 20 Ironbreakers and a unit of 25 Warriors. A BSB would probably be a great addition too.

Ok heres a little update to the list.

(Lord Choice)

1-Thorek Ironbrow.505pts

(Hero Choice)

1-Thane with BSB upgrade with master rune of Valaya.190pts

1-Runesmith with rune of stone and shield.77pts

(Core Choice)

24-Dwarf worriors with shields and full command.241pts

24-Dwarf worriors with shields and full command.241pts

10-Quarrellers with shields.120pts

(Speacial Choice)

(Rare Choice)

1-Gyrocpter.140pts

1-Organ gun.120pts

Totol-1999pts

hows this any better or still need more.

Aurellis
10-01-2009, 11:10
Your Quarallers can do a bit of damage in combat so they'll be fine. It looks like a decent Gunline to me :cries:

Frankly
10-01-2009, 11:55
Its a gunline, but a good one, I like the list, its solid, but your going to have troubles with opponents going to soft scores in GTs against it.

Personally I'd go for dropping the warriors units down to 20 and replacing your 505pt lord with something cheaper to get another unit of warriors in the list. The reason being is that your shooting units coming towards you, you can concentrate fire to whittle down rank bonuses, so you should hit combat with better static CR. meaning you don't need the extra models.

I'd go for 4 x B.throwers or even 6 x B.throwers over a organ gun and cannon at tournaments, they're just more consistent and if you take them in numbers they can destroy whole units at range. They're better utility MWs since they deal with both H.cavalry and rank and file equally as well.

maze ironheart
10-01-2009, 16:12
Your Quarallers can do a bit of damage in combat so they'll be fine. It looks like a decent Gunline to me :cries:

Is it a good gunline or have I made a mistake I plan to test it on my local GW manager as his daemon army of tzeentch really is annoying to fight and see how it dose.

Its a gunline, but a good one, I like the list, its solid, but your going to have troubles with opponents going to soft scores in GTs against it.

Personally I'd go for dropping the warriors units down to 20 and replacing your 505pt lord with something cheaper to get another unit of warriors in the list. The reason being is that your shooting units coming towards you, you can concentrate fire to whittle down rank bonuses, so you should hit combat with better static CR. meaning you don't need the extra models.

I'd go for 4 x B.throwers or even 6 x B.throwers over a organ gun and cannon at tournaments, they're just more consistent and if you take them in numbers they can destroy whole units at range. They're better utility MWs since they deal with both H.cavalry and rank and file equally as well.

The reason I have thorek is because he can take care of himself and his Anvil's true power can be done on a 3+ instead of a 4+ and can re-roll if he fails but I'll have to think on it.

Frankly
10-01-2009, 16:16
LOLLLLLL man! Sorry I've totally gotten mixed up a special character soz soz soz my fault. Its been awhile since I've played stunties.

In that case why ain't you playing a more aggressive type of dwarf list, more bash bash than bang bang?

maze ironheart
11-01-2009, 11:50
LOLLLLLL man! Sorry I've totally gotten mixed up a special character soz soz soz my fault. Its been awhile since I've played stunties.

In that case why ain't you playing a more aggressive type of dwarf list, more bash bash and bang bang?

Do you mean more combat or more shooting then how can I do that I thought I could just shoot them to death with the anvil then slow the units down then just blast them with my shooting then my units beat the stuffing out of them.

Hospitaler
11-01-2009, 12:28
This is a nice gunline, just stop flankers at all costs, and don't let your warriors get isolated and surrounded.
More bash bash would be having better combat units, warriors will hold up people, but have limited killing power! so you will be relying on the missile to make your kills... duh what am i saying, this is a gunline :p
for a pure gunline you are good, any more combat units will be pushing towards a mixed force, harder to use, probably less effective, but more fun imo!

Frankly
11-01-2009, 14:15
Do you mean more combat or more shooting then how can I do that I thought I could just shoot them to death with the anvil then slow the units down then just blast them with my shooting then my units beat the stuffing out of them.

Sorry, more bashing and CC units.

Yeah I can see where your going with your list.

Playing with Thorek is just brilliant, almost broken .... if not broken, it effectively gives you an unstoppable 12" charge moving on units like miners, which is combat winning against alot of units.

In tournaments I've seen alot of different Thorek lists, mainly using elite choice CC units, they seem to be pretty powerful. I've seen some shooty lists with Thorek, but that seem to lack a CC to finish off combat.

That being said I'd love to hear about how your list going while your testing it.

maze ironheart
12-01-2009, 11:27
Sorry, more bashing and CC units.

Yeah I can see where your going with your list.

Playing with Thorek is just brilliant, almost broken .... if not broken, it effectively gives you an unstoppable 12" charge moving on units like miners, which is combat winning against alot of units.

In tournaments I've seen alot of different Thorek lists, mainly using elite choice CC units, they seem to be pretty powerful. I've seen some shooty lists with Thorek, but that seem to lack a CC to finish off combat.

That being said I'd love to hear about how your list going while your testing it.

So how can I add more close combat units should I replace my worriors with elite units like ironbreakers and hammerers or should I stick with my worriors but reduce them to 20 to get some despell runes.

Aeolthir
12-01-2009, 15:12
You could reduce the warriors units to 20 and instead of an elite unit just upgrade one of the warriors unit to Longbeards. More WS and Str.

If you want an elite unit, i suggest the hammerers for their stubborn rule.

maze ironheart
12-01-2009, 17:13
You could reduce the warriors units to 20 and instead of an elite unit just upgrade one of the warriors unit to Longbeards. More WS and Str.

If you want an elite unit, i suggest the hammerers for their stubborn rule.

So I should reduce the worriors as for hammerers it dose sound like a good idea and I can use left over points for my runesmith to have some despell runes or give my BSB a runic banner to give him a 5+ ward save I'll write a list up and post it.

maze ironheart
13-01-2009, 15:36
Ok heres a new list.

(Lord Choice)

1-Thorek Ironbrow.505pts

(Hero Choice)

1-Runesmith with rune of stone and shield.77pts

(Core Choice)

(Runesmith gose here)
19-Dwarf worriors with shields and standard bearer and musicain.186pts

(Speacial Choice)

(BSB gose here)
19-Hammerers with shields and standard bearer and musicain and rune of courage.295pts

(Rare Choice)

1-Gyrocpter.140pts

1-Organ gun.120pts

Totol-1998pts

Ok the plan is thorek just uses the ancient power of his anvil to do rune of wrath and ruin to blast the on coming enemy units they have their movement halfed.Then my gyro flys over and march blocks them and steams them to death they will take ages to get to me while I just blast them.When they get close I just then use the rune of oath and honour to move the dwarfs into combat how dose that sound.

Aeolthir
13-01-2009, 16:26
Sounds good to me

maze ironheart
14-01-2009, 14:07
Ok had a thought here it is.

(Lord Choice)

1-Runelord with anvil and shield and rune of stone and rune of resistance and rune of persavation.363pts

(Hero Choice)

1-Runesmith with shield.72pts

(Core Choice)

(Runesmith gose here)

(Speacial Choice)

(BSB gose here)
19-Hammerers with shields and standard bearer and musicain and rune of courage.295pts

15-dwarf miners with standard bearer and prospector with steam drill.210pts

(Rare Choice)

1-Gyrocpter.140pts

1-Organ gun.120pts

Totol-1996ptspts

I would be entering the great devouer tournement would this list be better or should I stick with thorek.The good thing is is that the runelord dose not cost as much and can survive abit more but sadly using the anceint power will only be done on a 4+ which would make things abit risky.The miner turn up on turn 1 or 2 I use oath and honour to move them into an early combat and wipe out a unit but again should I stick with thorek or do this list.

Aurellis
14-01-2009, 16:00
I'd go with the no-Thorek list, both lists are highly competitive and without using Thorek you will get a better comp score. Also, the extra Bolt Thrower is always useful, especially against ranks of Marauders and DE Warriors.

ishoog
14-01-2009, 16:16
Looks pretty good overall. A couple of small recommendations if you can free up a couple of points.

See if you can equip your runelord and runesmith with great weapons. The option to go with either str 6 or 1+ armour in combat is pretty handy

For the runelord, if you can free up 5 points, a rune of the furnace is a pretty good thing to take. It protects him from flaming attacks like spirit of the forge which is a good way of getting your opponent to waste dice for a turn.

maze ironheart
14-01-2009, 20:42
I'd go with the no-Thorek list, both lists are highly competitive and without using Thorek you will get a better comp score. Also, the extra Bolt Thrower is always useful, especially against ranks of Marauders and DE Warriors.

Ah good because special charecters are not things I usually use I only use them in 40k as they are not super unkillable people Now all i need to buy is the runelord on the anvil model and some miners and a bolthrower and some hammerers not to much to get.

maze ironheart
15-01-2009, 11:32
Ok just to say thanks to the following for helping me make this list possible.

Aeolthir
Aurellis
ishog
Frankly
Ozorik

So to all the people above thanks for your help.

Quetzl
15-01-2009, 12:55
Ok had a thought here it is.

(Lord Choice)

1-Runelord with anvil and shield and rune of stone and rune of resistance and rune of persavation.363pts

(Hero Choice)

1-Runesmith with shield.72pts

(Core Choice)

(Runesmith gose here)

(Speacial Choice)

(BSB gose here)

15-dwarf miners with standard bearer and prospector with steam drill.210pts

(Rare Choice)

1-Gyrocpter.140pts

1-Organ gun.120pts

Totol-1996ptspts

I would be entering the great devouer tournement would this list be better or should I stick with thorek.The good thing is is that the runelord dose not cost as much and can survive abit more but sadly using the anceint power will only be done on a 4+ which would make things abit risky.The miner turn up on turn 1 or 2 I use oath and honour to move them into an early combat and wipe out a unit but again should I stick with thorek or do this list.

Too many Special choices, should be 0-4 you've got 5.

If I was you I'd remove the Hammerers and add 20 Longbeards instead the old grumblers rule is fantasticly useful at Ld9. Or remove one of the Bolt Throwers and add a couple more Quarrellers to each of the above core - so like 12 in each for example. I've got some expierence with Dwarfs at Tournies, expect to get moaned at, like all the time - and expect to draw a lot. But the lists looking pretty good, gunlines are always frowned on, but I suppose you've got a solid base to now take stuff out to add combat units in later Tournies however if you feel up for it. I myself am taking a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers to Winter War should be interesting :D

TonyFlow
15-01-2009, 13:08
two bolt throwers for one special choice. So only 4

maze ironheart
15-01-2009, 14:43
Too many Special choices, should be 0-4 you've got 5.

If I was you I'd remove the Hammerers and add 20 Longbeards instead the old grumblers rule is fantasticly useful at Ld9. Or remove one of the Bolt Throwers and add a couple more Quarrellers to each of the above core - so like 12 in each for example. I've got some expierence with Dwarfs at Tournies, expect to get moaned at, like all the time - and expect to draw a lot. But the lists looking pretty good, gunlines are always frowned on, but I suppose you've got a solid base to now take stuff out to add combat units in later Tournies however if you feel up for it. I myself am taking a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers to Winter War should be interesting :D

I do expect to be moaned at and yes 2 bolt throwers do count as one special choice so I do have 4.I would add longbeards but hammerers are abit better due to stubbon rule and with rune of courage they won't run from fear.