PDA

View Full Version : Mournful Knights Review

Frobozz of the Nine
09-01-2009, 14:35
I received the Gamezone Mournful Knights in the mail yesterday and wanted to post my review of these models for your consideration.

Model Size:
The first thing I noticed about the models is that the horses are about the same size as the older GW horses. This means they are a bit smaller than some of the current GW stuff and definitely smaller than Chaos Knight horses. I don't own the GW Blood Knights (thankfully), so I can't compare the size to them. The riders themselves are a bit on the small side, definitely smaller than the GW mounted vampires. It's not an issue to me because once you have the model assembled with the rider it looks fine size-wise.

Horses:
Which brings me to my next point - the Gamezone horses don't fit together terribly well and will require a fair amount of putty work. It's not a big issue for me as I do a lot of sculpting work on other models, but for some this may be a problem. The gaps between the two horse halves is significant in places and may require sculpting some details to make the two parts seamless.

Riders:
The riders assemble without much fuss, there is one rider which is two halves split around the shoulder area and there is a significant gap that will need to be filled. Two of the riders have a separate torso and lower half. Several also have a separate weapon arm. I really like the unit champion model and his severed jester head which is attached to his helmet. There is still a vampire face inside the helmet, I think it's a cool concept. The musician is one piece and the standard bearer is three pieces if you include the banner arm. This is poorly designed in that the banner pole and top are attached to a hand which has a tiny peg on it to attach to the wrist. I think it's going to be a challenge to get that hand to stick to the rest of the arm which is part of the rider body. Very small contact point, it will probably need to be pinned but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Overall:
All in all, I am happy I purchased these models. They are full of character and are visually a big improvement over the GW Blood Knights, as many people have indicated already. I really like the tattered cloaks and the other bits like bat-wing helmets, chains on the horses, and the detail on the horse themselves. I made a comparison of the Gamezone Mournful Knights to the new Count Mannfred model (which I own) from GW and I feel he will fit in well with the rest of the unit. His horse is slightly larger as is the rider, but that seems appropriate for a character model. Visually and stylistically, I think Mannfred fits in well with these Mournful Knights.

The detail on the Mournful Knights is quite good and seems comparable to GW, but the quality of the castings is a bit worse. I haven't undercoated the models yet, that may yield more insight, but at this point I'd say that the GW castings are cleaner and the parts fit together better. These models may be a bit trickier to prep due to gaps between joined areas, but I feel it's worth the trouble for a unit I'm hoping will look spectacular once painted.

Lord Malorne
09-01-2009, 14:37
This is better suited for fantasy general discussion.

Good review, will have to consider them now.

StarFyre
09-01-2009, 14:46
Just a comment, i suggest on metal models (GW includes) take a very fine sand paper (800 or 1000) and sand down any smooth metal areas, curves, etc. Gives a much nicer finish. Also, automotive primer is smoother and less grainy than GW primer. i find it much better for competition pieces but good for anything really.

Sanjay

galenus
09-01-2009, 16:08
My experience with their Chosen Knights equivalent pretty much went the same way. They are more difficult to get to the painting stage due to gaps but are excellent models once assembled. However, I still have not found a way to make the things rank up. The musicians' drums extend too far out from the base. I think I'm going to have to scrap the drums and come up with something else.

EmperorNorton
09-01-2009, 17:03
Thanks for the review.
Any chance of pictures of the assembled models?
The pictures I have seen so far were all too small to see all the details.

Frobozz of the Nine
09-01-2009, 17:21
Thanks for the review.
Any chance of pictures of the assembled models?
The pictures I have seen so far were all too small to see all the details.

I'll see what I can do but I doubt my pics would be any better than the 360 rotating ones which have been on the web. I thought those showed the detail pretty well, actually.