PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos, 2250 pts.

Makaber
09-01-2009, 20:09
I originally didn't plan to jump on the Warriors of Chaos bandwagon, as I allready have a Beastmen army and I felt that was Chaos enough. However, my friends had other plans for me and conspired to give me some Warriors boxes for crimbo. So, doing a quick tally of the crossover units I already had, plus what I got, I discovered I was only a regiment or two away from a Warriors army anyway! So, here's what I got to work with. Stuff I haven't brought in orange.

Characters:

Chaos Lord - Daemonic Steed, Shield, roughly 50 points of wargear: 310 pts.
Exalted Hero - Shield, Battle Standard, roughly 30 points of wargear: 165 pts.
Chaos Sorcerer - Level 2, Mark of Tzeench, Disk of Tzeench, Cojoined Haemunculus, Golden Eye of Tzeench, Power Familiar: 230 pts.
Chaos Sorcerer - Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls: 170 pts.

Core:

21 Marauders - Shields, Light Armour, Full Command: 146 pts.
24 Marauders - Shields, Light Armour, Full Command: 162 pts.
5 Marauder Horsemen - Light Armour, Flails, Musician: 86 pts.
5 Warhounds: 30 pts.
5 Warhounds: 30 pts.

Special:

4 Dragon Ogres - Great Weapons: 308 pts.
5 Knights of Chaos - Full Command, Mark of Tzeench, Blasted Standard: 310 pts.

Rare:

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - Great Weapon: 285 pts.

VVar
10-01-2009, 01:36
Chaos lord is better off with barded steed...if you're going to go with another mount use either disc for a fast lord, or khorne+jugger. Also, chaos lord is inferior to a sorcerer lord in most lists, so unless you are determined to use one you could switch to a level 4 and add quite a bit of magic punch and also usability.

Cartoon
10-01-2009, 02:13
If you plan on using sorcerers in more than just a scroll caddy set up, I can't recommend infernal puppet enough. It can really save your bacon, especially if you decide to go with a sorcerer lord (which I also recommend). It's also very useful if your opponent like to bring magic as well.

Edit - one more thing, you may find that your marauder blocks get left behind the rest of your army. While this wouldn't be a problem for your sorcerer, it may limit the effectiveness of your exalted champion. You may want to find a way to put him on a chaos steed and stick him with the marauders, although they may loose their fast cav benefits so maybe it's not worth it.

Makaber
10-01-2009, 13:16
Chaos Lord, well I got the model for Crimbo. Besides, I'm a firm believer that Marauders blocks are the backbone of a successful infantry based chaos army, which is somewhat what I'm going for. Seeing as I don't believe the Knights need the support of a character, using the hitting power of Chaos characters with the cheap CR of the Marauders seems a good idea.

I like the Juggernaut model a lot, but as I said, I already have the Chaos Steed one. Besides, I don't want the liability of Frenzy, especially in a slow infantry block.

I certanly like the Infernal Puppet a lot, but in the current list, there's just no room for it. I'm not a stranger to the idea of simply "swapping lords", making the current Lord a hero and upgrading the disc sorcerer. However, this is my starting point, with regards to what models I'm buying and in the end, are putting on the table at the start of a game.

I'm pleased to see nobody has any huge objections on the actual selection of models though, which means I'm more or less going for it. Thanks for the feedback!

VVar
10-01-2009, 16:39
I think the point is that a lord on daemonic mount is a gigantic waste of points, although I didn't put t that bluntly in my first post...that and since yup haven't decided on gear for two guys there's not much to critique in that sense. Furthermore, if blocks and infantry suit your fancy, you'll find having a strong magic phase will actually allow you to do damage the first few turns. A unit of knights and some horsemen can't take on an army on their own, and even a list with a weak shooting phase will have no trouble plinking away for a couple of turns

Makaber
11-01-2009, 02:05
Yeah, you're right, who in their right mind would pay 50 points for +1 Armour, 2 WS4 Strength 5 attacks, and Fear? They must be idiots, it's a "gigantic waste of points".

:rolleyes:

Dexter099
11-01-2009, 22:27
Barded Chaso steed is better. It's critical that you have a 1+ armor save on your lord rather than a 2+. The Lrod himself should be providing the killing power, not the steed. The steed should really be there to protect the lord. Especially if you plan on tkaign something like a hellfire sword.