PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if this figure is genuine?

b4z
10-01-2009, 10:48
(i wasnt sure where to post this)

I collected valhallans a long long time ago when i was a kid, well over 10 years ago, and i remember practically all of their models, including the other ranges mordians/praetorians/tallarn etc.

i still have 100 or more valhallans sitting in a gaming case untouched and have every variety of miniature from the range.

i distinctly do NOT remember ever seeing a Valhallan Plasma guardsman...

yet on ebay there is one available...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-Imperial-Guard-Valhallan-PLASMA-OOP-RARE_W0QQitemZ250353775990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item250353775990&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

has anyone ever seen these in an official catalogue or on sale from GW?
i looked through catalogues i had from GW from around the time all of those ranges came out and i cannot find it at all....

is this a knock-off ? or a part sculpt or something?

can someone confirm?

ankara halla
10-01-2009, 10:57
Hmm... looks like a cast of a conversion from the grenade launcher guy.

If it is such, it's not half bad. In fact, I kinda like it. I especially like the cable/belt from the gun to his back, too bad there is no rear view of the model. It could make or brake the model.

Anyway, as far as I know (and despite possible conception, I actually *do not* know everything... ;) ) GW never produced a Valhallan plasma gunner.

b4z
10-01-2009, 11:02
it seems to have the overall pose of the flamer/grenade launcher models yes.

the lower body of the grenade launcher [because the flamer model has the lead and the fuel tank etc]
the upper body of the flamer

is it me of do the fingers holding the front end of the plasmagun look a bit 'chopped'

Deamon-forge
10-01-2009, 11:04
That to me looks like a recast/conversion. Some detail is very well smoth, like were the gap is from the gun to his arm area were a stock would go. mat be wrong tho. its do look good tho.

Dodgy Ed
10-01-2009, 11:17
Short answer without better photographs no we can't tell if it's genuine or not; however afaik there have never even been any rumours about unrelased valhallan plasma gunners. although there are unrelased guard special weapons from that era.

I will point out that from this angle it looks like somone has done a bloody good job if it's a recast, it differs quite substanially from the flamer figure on which it appears to be based, no webbing or flask and I wouldn't mind a dozen or so in my army.

is it me of do the fingers holding the front end of the plasmagun look a bit 'chopped'

I don't think those are fingers, they look more like a foregrip.

I guess it might be worth emailing the seller for an image of the back of the mini

<edit> Question sent

b4z
10-01-2009, 11:24
I wouldn't mind a dozen or so in my army.
i had the same sentiment, but without any knowledge of casting/equipment/materials it is but a wish.

I guess it might be worth emailing the seller for an image of the back of the mini
i have done so, i will await the reply!

Dodgy Ed
10-01-2009, 11:30
D'oh so have I, the poor buggers going to be inundated with requests now

ehlijen
10-01-2009, 11:48
That is defintely the newer style plasma gun muzzle which I thought wasn't introduced until after the valhallans?

edit: I just checked the 3rd ed rulebook, and this plasma gun is definetly more like the most recent one than the metal cadian and catachan ones up to date at that time. And I don't recall any valhallans being released since then.

DarkReaver
10-01-2009, 12:20
I have to say that someone casted a mold and made this themselves. I have an old citadel annual book that has the all the old metal Imperial Guard models including the Valhallan model range in it and there is no plasma gunner.

Maybe it's just me but doesn't the plasma gun seem like it has a different metal used that the valhallan itself? Or is it just the lighting?

Mannimarco
10-01-2009, 12:53
its a conversion, a pretty decent one but still a conversion

Darkhorse
10-01-2009, 16:53
The plasma gun looks familiar, Necromunda Escher heavy plasmagun shortened at the back perhaps. Not sure where the cables come from but I suspect there's a couple of possible sources.

Edit: The guy has posted a rear view on the auction.
Going through his feedback I noticed that he sells the same lot several times;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250347073874
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250344012051
Including our valhallan plasmagunner...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250309552558
The guy has more than a whiff of recaster about him.

Dodgy Ed
10-01-2009, 18:29
Damn that is some nice work; re cast maybe, I'm not one to cast judgment but the original conversion is very good, the flamer is totally removed and replaced with new ammo flask, I want several

<edit> change the 'maybe' to almost definitly, in his completed auctions there's one with an unmarked tab and this one has marked tabs, shame as it's a nice job too, it looks like it's proabably a cast conversion

boogle
10-01-2009, 18:48
It's most definately a conversion, however it's a really nice one at that

Bregalad
10-01-2009, 20:55
I am quite certain that GW didn't produce a plasma gun with an ammo belt ;)

b4z
10-01-2009, 21:03
i was sure it wasnt an official model. its just it was so well done that i wasnt sure.

does anyone recognise the back part of the model/plasma then?

so are we presuming then, judging by a few posts above, that he is casting from his own moulds and selling as genuine GW products?

[dont want to, nor going to get into any sides about whether this is right or wrong]

ankara halla
10-01-2009, 21:18
Well, yes.

As far as I know, that isn't a official GW model, but it is nevertheless a really nice model all the same.
And it fills a gap in the official GW line of models that GW never filled. For a decent price, I'd say it's a very nice substitute for a homemade conversion of a Valhallan plasma gunner.

Pokpoko
10-01-2009, 21:23
to be honest i do seem to remeber a valhallan with plasma, it was in 3rd ed rulebook i think...but i don't have it anymore, so maybe i mistaken it for something else?

b4z
10-01-2009, 22:06
i think it is a great conversion, the fact i thought it might be official and made this thread is testament to that. i really like it.
now where to get 10 of these guys? i wonder :)

ctsteel
10-01-2009, 22:06
The imperial guard collector's guide doesn't contain a plasma model for valhallans.

From comparing this plasma model to the other genuine models, they've taken the flamer model, cut the original weapon off just above the hand, and replaced with plasma, then they've cut the flamer canister off and reattached it on the back. Smooth over the gaps with greenstuff, add cables again and recast.

b4z
10-01-2009, 22:09
the plasma gun is indeed as someone rightly pointed out above from the Necromunda Escher Girl Gang Plasma Model as is the cannister and cable. It comes as a separate piece in that 3 part metal model, so would have been easy to add to this miniature.

Dodgy Ed
10-01-2009, 22:16
There's nothing easy about the work that's been done on this, removing the fuel canisters and pipes is awkward at the best of times, plus there is a substantial ammount of very subtle re-sculpting that has been done, overall (recasting ethics very much on the side) it is, as has already been mentioned, a very nice piece

Triszin The Wrath God
10-01-2009, 22:53
wow i live in ohio..... i wonder if i know the person in RL.... time to go check me sources.

the way i can usually tell if its a recast is the very bottom piece that connects to the base. great cast except for the bottom of the fig, it looks like zig zags down there.

Cypher, the Emperor
10-01-2009, 23:46
it seems to have the overall pose of the flamer/grenade launcher models yes.

the lower body of the grenade launcher [because the flamer model has the lead and the fuel tank etc]
the upper body of the flamer

Nah, its just made from the flamer, you can see the marks where they shaved off the tube.

All aside, its a pretty good conversion.

Corax
11-01-2009, 07:43
Its a conversion, there's no doubt about it. I've got the 1999 Annual (catalog) in front of me, which includes the figures from this era, and it is not part of the range. There is a Flamer, a Meltagun, and a Grenade Launcher, but NO Plasmagun. This piece is definitely a recast, plus its wrong anyway, because it is using a more recent design of Plasmagun, rather than the type that were in the range at that time.

Flame Boy
11-01-2009, 12:27
I'm impressed at the work that must have gone into it, it's just a bit of a shame that filling in gaps in a model range with a model like that would be frowned upon from a legal perspective I would imagine, as it doesn't look like a rush job by any means.

Dodgy Ed
11-01-2009, 12:42
its wrong anyway, because it is using a more recent design of Plasmagun, rather than the type that were in the range at that time.

Are you sure about the plasma design being wrong, as was mentioned earlier it looks like it is probably the Escher (heavy) plasma gun from necromunda and it also matches pretty closely to the gun on Tallarn plasma gunner of the same era

<edit> hmm having dug out my old guard it isn't a perfect match, it does however match the IG preacher from that second ed era