PDA

View Full Version : questions on shipping

General Squeek Squeek
10-01-2009, 17:15
I was going to ship a ton of marines that I have to a friend that across the country. I dawned on me today though that I don't know the safest way to pack up 100+ miniatures. Anyone with experience in this field if you could help I'd be forever in your debt. ;)

Edit: wow yeah its across the country not county. LOL yeah... I really need to proof read before I post.

Laser guided fanatic
10-01-2009, 17:20
I can think of several ways to do it but they're pricy.

But the marines in foam buffed flight cases (they cost around 10 each and are normally the size of a GW army case)

Put in cardboard boxes with foam or fluff inside

Deliver it in person (seems best to me minimalises risk of damage and 100 marines will cost a lot to ship).

General Squeek Squeek
10-01-2009, 17:27
I'd love to deliver it in person, but I just can't afford to actually fly out there.

HsojVvad
10-01-2009, 17:28
It could be a big country, doing it in person might not be viable.

Foam foam and more foam. Even if you get the stuff that alike little foam snow flakes. Yeah it can be messy when out of the box, but it should be IN the box and will keep them safe. I like the idea of putting cardboard between them as well and layer them. If shipping by postal, make shure you have insurance on them so if they do get damaged, hopefully the insurance will cover what is broken.

Gwedd
10-01-2009, 18:58
Comrade,

I have shipped thousands of minis all over the world, and I can tell you what works best: Puffed Rice Cereal. Take a box big enough to hold whatever it is you are shipping, then lay down a couple of plastic grocery bags to cover the bottom. Pour in about a 2" layer of cereal. Lay down the minis to fill the area, then recover with cereal. Repeat until all the minis are encased. Now place a couple of plastic grocery bags on top to hold everything down, and seal up the box and ship.

The cereal costs no more than foam, is bio-degradable, and it is small enough to get into the areas between minis and hold them in place. The recipient can simply dump the cereal onto the lawn for the birds to eat, or put it into a mulch box or whatever.

Seriously, I've painted minis on commission for more than 30 years, and I have never had a report of a broken or damaged mini from using this method.

Respects,

The Base
11-01-2009, 00:30
Plastic models should be fine in a stiff box with some foam bits mixed it.

Metal however is much more risky.

First I would wrap the model in bubble wrap, so if it does move it will absorb it's own impact. Next I would try to totally encase it in foam so it can't move.

BLARGAG!!!
11-01-2009, 01:44
what i do is take some bubble wrap, and line as many minis as you can fit along the edge, then fold it over a few times (until your satisfied that they wont move around), then cut the bubble wrap. do this until you are out of minis, then stack them in a box and fill whatever remaining space with more bubble wrap.

not especially space efficient, but it definitely keeps the models safe without adding a huge amount of weight to the package.