PDA

View Full Version : What happens if...

Mireadur
10-01-2009, 22:58
If you want to charge a unit which is already engaged and although you should charge by it's front, theres no room in there because of your other unit already fighting it.

By common sense i just charge by the flank, but it looks like there's 'zero' reference in the BRB to such situation and i suddenly had some RAW remorses.

Wapniak
10-01-2009, 23:05
You move the unit fighting in front to make room. You can't charge the flank. If no room can be made (say 2 units are fighting to the front already) you fail the charge.

Kalandros
10-01-2009, 23:15
Don't go confusing him with "making room". He already mentionned both units were fighting and that the 3rd unit wanting to join in had no room in the front which is where it would have to charge.

A charge cannot be done, so no charge declaration and if you did declare one, it simply fails.

marv335
10-01-2009, 23:52
If you can't make it into combat, the charge simply fails.

Mireadur
11-01-2009, 00:37
You guys sure about this? it certainly makes no sense. Um...Unless looked at it from a different perspective, i guess if we think about it as an abstraction, we have to suppose the charging unit has no real LoS at all in such situation.

Anyway im not totally convinced about this one. Just appears to be strange. More opinions about this would be really appreciated. Specially the one from Atrahasis.

Necromancy Black
11-01-2009, 06:27
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Look at the second question in that FAQ about charging. It states is you start in the front arc you may not charge the flank, and must spend a turn or so moving so you start a turn with the majority of models in your unit in the enemies flank.

So in your case their is no room and the charge would fail. Better to not declare the charge.

EldarBishop
11-01-2009, 12:42
Not even sure why they needed to FAQ that, the rules are pretty clear. If you are in the target "front" then you must charge the front. If you are in its "flank" then you must charge the flank.

There are NO rules to support "making room", as Wapniak has described, for a new unit joining a combat... the charge would fail in this case (OP).

Wapniak
11-01-2009, 13:24
Imagine a situation: A single Model on a 40mm base charges a unit of 6 wide 25mm models in the front. There is space for another unit to charge the front next turn, so by 'making room' I meant moving the models fighting already to make possible to put as many models as possible into contact with enemy after the charge is resolved (just as the rules order to). I wasn't clear. Sorry.

EldarBishop
11-01-2009, 13:29
That would be a case where you should plan ahead a little :)... and charge the left side of the front (as long as you are still engaging as many models as possible, in this case, the three on the left). Leaving yourself room so that the second unit can charge in, on the right, on the next turn.

Wapniak
11-01-2009, 13:35
Yes of course, but I think that the rules are clear that if the charge would mean that not all models that can be in fight are in fight, you shall move them.

Example

EEEEEE

and then unit two charges in:

EEEEEE
1122222X

Model X is not in contact but could be so you move the unit to look like that:

..EEEEEE
1122222X

But maybe I am mistaken...

Atrahasis
11-01-2009, 13:49
You are mistaken - once a unit is in combat it cannot move, except as part of "redress ranks" or a free maneouvre on winning combat.

Mireadur
11-01-2009, 13:51
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Look at the second question in that FAQ about charging. It states is you start in the front arc you may not charge the flank, and must spend a turn or so moving so you start a turn with the majority of models in your unit in the enemies flank.

So in your case their is no room and the charge would fail. Better to not declare the charge.

Thanks discussion finished =)