PDA

View Full Version : Regrets?

LeeJerrum
11-01-2009, 00:40
Hello

A question came up at the games club last night. "Do you have any regrets during your time in the hobby?"

I got thinking about this and decided taking Guard to the GT (failed to qualify) and buying models off eBay (you know the kind that come with heads stuck on upside down and two left arms) were my most regretful 40k moments. The kind I'll never repeat.

So, are there any regrets you've had during your warhammer addiction?

Adra
11-01-2009, 00:56
Hmmm interesting one. I regret buying an entire Nid army and just letting it sit in boxes unmade for almsot 2 years now. What a terrible waste. i really should get around to selling it.

I also regret giving up on my Death Guard Land Raider which started out so amazing and now sits in two halves unfinished. Again another shame.

In fact all my regrets are based on my lazy attitude towards models.

Oh yes i regret making that god aweful defiler conversion...

And I regret always forgetting my ipod when i go into my local GW. They do nothing but play metal and Journey. Dont get me wrong i love a bit of Journey, what man does not? Just a bit of veriety is always nice.

Um anything else? I regret throwing away my gaming board but no where left to store it. But mainly i regret my current attitude to the hobby. i wish i loved it more than i do.

And I regret going to Holland to meet that girl, but i wouldnt change it for anything.... sad times.

AmBlam
11-01-2009, 00:59
Playing Chaos given thier neglection from GW.

I now have a lot of alternate coloured marines with a lot of unfieldable options. It's a regret of sorts.

Adra
11-01-2009, 01:02
Playing Chaos given thier neglection from GW.

Awww snap I was about to come back and put that one in my post :D

AmBlam
11-01-2009, 01:05
Awww snap I was about to come back and put that one in my post :D

Such are the woes of a new thread.

neXus6
11-01-2009, 01:14
Regrets...I've had a few...but then again...too few to mention.
:p

Okay maybe not quite too few to mention but not many.

My only real one for 40k is my giving up the game mid 3rd edition and 4th edition being bairly different.
I regret having so much 40k stuff but just being totaly bored stiff of the rules.

I'd tinker with house rules, probably a mix'n'match of 3rd and 4th ed, and the like but a GW store is really the only place I can play games and naturally they enforce "must use current rules."

I really like the 40k setting, I love the background, some of the newer models coming out are great, but I've just become totally jaded with the rules. :(

Aside from that the other would be that I've always been a horrible sufferer of not being able to stick to one army. Even though I have started giving stuff away to people or at least selling them for very cheap I've still got models/small armies for half-a-dozen different forces.

So while some people can boast 10s of thousands of points of one army, I've got 4-5k of my main army, guard, and before I started getting rid of stuff a good 10,000 points or more of random little/half started armies.

Filthy O'Bedlam
11-01-2009, 01:32
Missing the Cut at Golden Demon Canada by one model.
Twice
*sigh*

Dranthar
11-01-2009, 01:33
Well...

...uh...

Actually, after 12 years in the hobby, I don't regret anything.

BLARGAG!!!
11-01-2009, 01:38
Well...

...uh...

agreed, but change that 12 to a 7 for me.

*EDIT* my one and only regret was selling my bitz box.

Rutteger1
11-01-2009, 01:46
Buying models when i was young that i never used and were wasted money. Then when i got back in the hobby they became my awesome bitz box! so not really :D

Kymmerus
11-01-2009, 01:51
I regret not buying one of those Imperial "Citizen Beware" Posters talking about not touching spore mines... had the change to buy one... didn't... and now want one :P

So far no real regrets...

Putty
11-01-2009, 01:53
i regret starting a wood elves and black templar army.

sold them both and now i have a tyranid and warriors of chaos (was hordes of chaos) army.

i'm pretty happy with them both.

Reflex
11-01-2009, 01:57
i cracked the ***** one day and threw out all my paints/brushes/hobby tools/bitz box.... all up there was a fair amount of sctuff thrown out.

also selling my dark eldar army, was only like 1000pts or so, but ah those pirate bastards,, gotta love em....

Captain Frankus
11-01-2009, 02:08
I kinda regret taking up space marines as my first army instead of chaos...back when they ruled.

Triszin The Wrath God
11-01-2009, 02:15
NO REGRETS, NO REMORSE!!!!

my only regret is not being a better painter. :(

ctsteel
11-01-2009, 02:58
I regret not making more use of the bitz service while it existed. In particular after it was made known that it was on the way out, and I kept putting off ordering stuff, then when I did right near the end, I did it in a rush and forgot some other items that I wanted to grab for future conversions. As they say, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Filthy O'Bedlam
11-01-2009, 06:11
I regret not making more use of the bitz service while it existed. In particular after it was made known that it was on the way out, and I kept putting off ordering stuff, then when I did right near the end, I did it in a rush and forgot some other items that I wanted to grab for future conversions. As they say, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Oh, yeah, forgot about how much that hurt.

laudarkul
11-01-2009, 06:35
No regrets 'till now but I'm the new guy in town (1year).I play IG and I also started to collect/paint DH and WE(this army is going to be a pain in the """ to paint it). Is fun.

Nabeshin1106
11-01-2009, 06:38
I regret starting too many armies that came to nothing. I often get the idea to start an army, I'll use it 3-5 times, then never touch it again. I recently had to sell 6 different 40k and Fantasy armies so I could focus on the ones I know I'll stick with.

Ghilleman
11-01-2009, 06:51
Not as such so far. Except maybe totaling how much I've spent on it, heh. I'm never, ever doing that again.

Plebian
11-01-2009, 06:55
I regret GW closing down their forum. It was an ugly, unloved little thing, but it was where I took my first steps to damnation. I also regret trying to get involved in WFB when no one plays it...quite boring.

Born Again
11-01-2009, 07:28
I regret the way my Tau evolved into not much. After a long break in playing, I got back into the game with Tau. I painted my first squad, then foundation paints came out. Using citadel colour, it was taking 3 coats to get a solid colour on my models. That really slowed down my already slow painting time, and I ended up getting sick of painting Tau and finishing the army at 1000pts. They army is great to look at, I'm proud of it and wouldn't change it, but it's very limited game wise because I ended up not getting a lot of things I was planning to in a 1500pt army. I blame GW for not releasing foundation paints a couple of months earlier :p

squeekenator
11-01-2009, 07:33
I don't really regret anything. I have dabbled in armies that never got off the ground, but since I like every race I'm just keeping those models for when I get back into them, so I don't really regret those purchases.

_Si_
11-01-2009, 08:05
I've been in this hobby going on 18 years now.

If I'd taken up cross-stitch instead I could probably have cleared my mortgage by now..

Colonial Rifle
11-01-2009, 09:56
Not many really. Probably shouldn't have started Beastmen AND Orcs and Goblin armies, but have sold one now so no great loss.

Don't regret selling my Chaos and LatD. Very grateful I didn't sell my Guard army a year or so ago - would have missed them.

Greatoliver
11-01-2009, 10:54
And I regret going to Holland to meet that girl, but i wouldnt change it for anything.... sad times.

:(

For me, I regret little... Maybe leaving things in boxes, but I guess I can sell those. Maybe allowing a gaming group to disband after lack of motivation, I probably should've tried to hold it together.

And letting my beloved juve die in a Necro campaign... He was so close to being ok, but never was after the sixth roll on the injury table...

T_55
11-01-2009, 11:02
Regrets....

Dropping the last cookie in the painting water.

Godgolden
11-01-2009, 11:12
buying a full metal army :(

Vampiric16
11-01-2009, 11:23
My only regret is gluing a plastic carnifex. Never make that mistake. Magnitize the bugger!

Edzard
11-01-2009, 11:48
buying a full metal army :(

Haha, I celebrate the fact that I have a maybe 2000 points only infantry SoB horde lying around ;) All 2nd hand, and every single model metal!

My regrets are.. loving the Necron army, while it is so neglected and unplayable :(

vman
11-01-2009, 13:31
Regrets... mmmmm

Falling into the trap too many times, and purchasing many things that i dont need. If i could stick to one army, and only purchase a 2nd army when my first was entirely completed... Im the jack of all trades, but the master of jack *****!

Taking games workshop stuff so seriously... i find im always regretting something, or stressing to no end because i have troops sitting on sprues, and im so anal about getting their paint right i dont want to assemble them all before i paint... when im probably a crappy painter anyways...

gah... gw

yeh i regret alot

Galatan
11-01-2009, 14:19
12 years behind me and the only thing I regret is never finishing that wood elf army that is now in a box on top of my closet. Will probably never finish it because I don't really like the models anymore.

I can also say that I regret switching army's so many times, but having a short attention span for some things is more a glitch in character and I don't regret who I am :P .

djinn8
11-01-2009, 14:42
I regret choosing guard as my army - don't get me wrong, I think the boys have great rules and charater, its just that I'm a damn good painter and my talents are going to waste painting countless faceless guardsmen. I was going to get Chaos, but my mate who joined the game with me jumped in and picked some up first. I've just finished painting Abbadon for him as a Christmas prezzy and it stings that there is, and probably will never be, anything in my army that looks as cool as he or any of the other Chaos range.

SaleanDominus
11-01-2009, 17:09
Regrets? Hmm...got lots of them sadly...
The Warhammer/40K ones?

1) Starting every damn army before I finish assembling the one(s) before.
2) Not painting nearly enough...I find it relaxing really and I get a sense of accomplishment when a unit/tank/monster is finished, so I don't get why I don't do it more.
3) Neglecting certain armies. Necrons, Chaos, Tau and Imperial Guard spring to mind and then Empire, High Elves, Lizardmen and Dwarfs.
4) Not playing enough games.
5) Taking the game a *little* to seriously.
6) I can't get enough of the models and spend hours reading and planning army lists.

Still, I love the games :)

Lord Cook
11-01-2009, 17:19
I regret that people don't value conversions anywhere near as highly as painting. I lovingly convert my armies, then get them painted by someone else, and so everyone seems to think it isn't really my army, like I'm just sort of renting it. Why are there endless "best painted" awards but nothing for people who like the modeling aspect more?

it stings that there is, and probably will never be, anything in my [Guard] army that looks as cool as he or any of the other Chaos range.

I regret that some Guard players don't convert awesomely cool models that make anything in the Chaos range look like a piece of spiky dirt.

Velsharoon
11-01-2009, 17:43
Coming back to the hobby and being scammed for 60 quid on Warseer trading forums. Good times.

Adra
11-01-2009, 17:47
If you have no regrets then you havent been taking risks.

gamer2456
11-01-2009, 18:01
kinda regret choosing Orks first. I love the lads, I do, but I bought about $130 worth a few years ago, built/painted them all, used them once, and then left the hobby for a couple years. Came back at the beginning of this year and began an IG army, now i got over 3000 points. With those $130...i could have got a baneblade with my shadowsword, and 20 more guardsmen.

I just got the Black Reach Orks from a friend, though, so I might be interested in getting more. The Stompa looks like quite the model :)

MrP
11-01-2009, 18:14
Using all the roadwheels provided for Chimaerae and Russes, I think. And not finding out about plasticard earlier! And not buying it at once after I did. D'oh.

Ironmonger
11-01-2009, 18:18
Regrets? Aside from being addicted to FW...?

Selling off a pretty decent 2,000 pt Guard army less then a year before getting back into the hobby. I kept them for years, swearing I'd never make the same mistake I had before (as a kid, I had the perennial problem of buying an army, and then selling it for a fraction of the price to start another army), and then caved. Come 5th, I was right back into it, and missing those Basilisks and Demolishers:cries:

Coragus
11-01-2009, 18:22
Honestly, as much as I've enjoyed the hobby, I regret even finding out about the hobby in the first place. So much money has passed through my hands through the years, armies bought and sold at loss, time spent on models that have never seen the surface of a table, seriously, there's a piece of me that wishes that I'd never heard of a Space Marine.

Giganthrax
11-01-2009, 18:30
The first thing I bought for my SM army was a 10 men tactical squad. I ordered it from GW site, without knowing that in Serbia, "toys" bought on the internet require me to pay 50% of the price (postage included) to the Serbian post service.

So, technically I ended up paying almost 40 British pounds for 10 marines. I regret that a lot. :|

noobzor
11-01-2009, 18:38
Selling about $100 of assembled, primed (and some painted) guard to a friend who convinced me... for $50...

Re-starting a Guard army 1 year later, influenced by the same friend...

Failing my Ld9 tests whenever possible... :p

Buying Eldar- "I can't use my own color scheme? WTF? I can't paint!"...

Buying Guard (Twice)- "I need to buy that many guys to be legitimate? I can't afford that!"

Being in this hobby- I could have bought a pretty decent computer with the amount I have invested into this. Not to mention the time I would have....

Still, now that I am in it I will never be free. :p I am having fun though.

Thud
11-01-2009, 18:39
Bought a Tyranid army. Played one game with it. Now it's been collecting dust for more than two years. :(

Grindgodgrind
11-01-2009, 19:37
And I regret always forgetting my ipod when i go into my local GW. They do nothing but play metal and Journey. Dont get me wrong i love a bit of Journey, what man does not? Just a bit of veriety is always nice.

Your local store isn't Swansea, by any chance?

Inach
11-01-2009, 20:41
Buying Pariah's... :cries:

Fire Harte
11-01-2009, 20:56
*EDIT* my one and only regret was selling my bitz box.

YOU SOLD YOUR BITZ BOX!?? MAY AS WELL HAVE SOLD YOUR SOUL!!

---

I regret not buying some plastic glue before the law changed so I couldn't. I instead wasted the money on a Bullet for My valentine CD. :(

I also regret throwing away some space hulk terminators...

Sir_Turalyon
11-01-2009, 20:57
Buying too many tactical marines I have no idea what to do with. Between my Guard players mentality ("I'll always find use for another squad") and good second hand deals, I accumulated way above hundered of tactical marines. I used up a hundered in making full DA company I never field at full strength (filling table with power armoured bodies is not fun way to play a game), and still have enough to make another army... if I had money for vehicles / support units it.

Bigbot
11-01-2009, 21:56
Selling armies. I sold my 1k ultramarines on ebay (2nd ed but still) for 30. My 700 points of nids to a mate for 20 and 500pts of guard for 5 (the classic metal stuff).

Never again

Honestly, as much as I've enjoyed the hobby, I regret even finding out about the hobby in the first place. So much money has passed through my hands through the years, armies bought and sold at loss, time spent on models that have never seen the surface of a table, seriously, there's a piece of me that wishes that I'd never heard of a Space Marine.

Then get out while the getting it good. Me I've spent thousands on this hobby. Hell 2 days ago I got a chaos warhound titan. My wife knows and understands all this...but the joy, the sheer unadulterated joy, of gaming, painting, making friends, having a laugh, Hell even getting frustrated...have all been worth it

Rutteger1
11-01-2009, 22:02
Me I've spent thousands on this hobby. Hell 2 days ago I got a chaos warhound titan. My wife knows and understands all this...but the joy, the sheer unadulterated joy, of gaming, painting, making friends, having a laugh, Hell even getting frustrated...have all been worth it
Bigbot you are so right

nedsta
11-01-2009, 22:11
All the times when i thought it would wise to browse flea-bay while intoxicated :(

vman
11-01-2009, 23:49
All the times when i thought it would wise to browse flea-bay while intoxicated :(

tell me about it

the other day i ended up buying a massive rifle from gears of war 2 on ebay due to late night intoxication

woke up the next morning saying wtf have i done

Adra
11-01-2009, 23:52

In fact it is.

Son of Makuta
12-01-2009, 00:12
Starting an Eldar army.

After many proposed army-revisions, occasional spurts of converting or playing them, never being satisfied with how they were... I've come to realise that they're not for me. I never had that much enthusiasm for them no matter how awesome my converted Wraithlords looked. I guess I'm Tyranid through and through. So I'm selling the pointy-'eads and hopefully using the proceeds to buy more Cryx for my tiny fledgling Warmachine army (and catch up on our club's other 3 Cryx players, dammit).

Other than that, none really. Well, I wish my 'Nid Warriors were better converted from the get-go, but I didn't really have that level of skill or ambition when I built 'em and reconversions on plastic models never work (as you can't remove the arms, making the job very, very limited). I'll be remedying this soon though after completing my current load of to-do conversions, with some scratch sculpted, casted-up Warrior bits, so I can replace all 15 of 'em for next to nothing and sell the others on ebay or whatever.

I regret that people don't value conversions anywhere near as highly as painting. I lovingly convert my armies, then get them painted by someone else, and so everyone seems to think it isn't really my army, like I'm just sort of renting it. Why are there endless "best painted" awards but nothing for people who like the modeling aspect more?

I regret that some Guard players don't convert awesomely cool models that make anything in the Chaos range look like a piece of spiky dirt.

Edit for this post being extremely, extremely true. Although I did once see a converted Guardsman on a Segway. Top that, Kharn.

Brother Gabriel
12-01-2009, 00:21
Starting an Eldar army.

QFT
I did the same and i guess i will never finish them. They are in a Box under my hobby work/paint table. Since i invest all my time in painting my marines.

I actually regret having so many ideas for conversions and army themes and really dont that much time.

Impulsive buying on ebay because its "cheap" but really it could have waited for 6 more months since i wont paint or assemble it in the near future anyway...

Cheers

beeny13
12-01-2009, 05:10
starting space marines before assault on black reach. all the crappy paint and brush sets i bought then replaced, buying terminators before assault on black reach.

i think that is about it, if assault on black reach came out before i started i would have saved well over a hundred dollars.

oh and also not buying more from bizarre bazaar, less from ebay

alphastealer
12-01-2009, 06:11
We all have some regrets...

You know how it goes, me and a few marines were up late one night telling each other old war stories. I was doing most of the talking since they were well and truly in their paint pots. We ended up playing a little truth and dare. Anyway one thing led to another and before you know it I am waking up with a headache and my left hand painted life a powerfist.

That being said this lifestyle hobby has been good fun over the years.

omgadinosaur
12-01-2009, 06:14
I paid about thirty dollars on the 6th edition Eltharian on Foot model. It was discontinued and my dad had thrown my old one out long ago and it was my favorite model from when i was around twelve.

But thirty bucks for a character model on foot is...a ton of wasted cash.

It hardly gets used as well, which is the real shame. My Dragon is just too cool.

I also regret buying about 80 Genestellers. I don't know why I thought I'd use all of them. Some guy had a deal and I went "someone will bid higher then this." and no one did.

march10k
12-01-2009, 06:25
I can't decide whether I regret the paint job I chose for my tau, or whether I regret getting into tau in the first place. As it is, I have enough sprue to get my 32 fire warriors up to 72, as well as nine more sniper drones (didn't realize that those were a 0-1 choice and thought I'd go with six sniper teams and one broadside team in an all-infantry army). I also HATE the amount of puttying and sanding required to make a tau skimmer look good, due to the **** poor fit and finish of the kits (which clashes with the silky organic flow that they're supposed to have, if not remedied), leading to an oath not to go beyond the one fish for my pathfinders and the one railhead. Overall, I guess you could say I regret my tau army, one way or another. No, it's not for sale. I'll put them in a curio at home and maybe play a small game with them once a year. I can't let go, as much as I wish I hadn't taken the plunge).

TheOverlord
12-01-2009, 06:25
Not buying stuff from the bitz section of GW when I still had the chance :cry:

Adra
12-01-2009, 06:32
Yeah i have regrets about the Bitz ordering service myself, but my anger outweighs my regret.

Caprosmaster
12-01-2009, 06:35
Regrets, hmmmmmmm

New Number one: Starting SM only to realsie a guy at my local GS plays them and has the tactical mind of a doormouse(sorry to all you doormouses out there), who puts their Devo sqaud, futher forward, outside of the Deployment zone(cheating but nobody saw him) in order to be closer to an onrushing Nid horde WTF
1. Lacking the skills in the painting area, a big one for me
2. Finding Warseer, takes away valuable painting time =P
3.A complete lack of wanting to actually paint= lots of primed models

Caprosmasrer

spaint2k
12-01-2009, 06:53
I deeply regret choosing white as the main colour for my Space Marines.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x6/angryboy2k/EliteCadre.jpg

Steve

willydstyle
12-01-2009, 08:28
I regret doing a lazy job on the paint of my Chaos Marines. I have one squad of Black Legionnaires who looks awesome (it's really hard to shade black and have it still look black, but to also give it depth) One squad who looks meh, and about 20 that look like crap.

I'm making up for that with the paint job I'm giving my new Eldar army though :)

I regret choosing guard as my army - don't get me wrong, I think the boys have great rules and charater, its just that I'm a damn good painter and my talents are going to waste painting countless faceless guardsmen. I was going to get Chaos, but my mate who joined the game with me jumped in and picked some up first. I've just finished painting Abbadon for him as a Christmas prezzy and it stings that there is, and probably will never be, anything in my army that looks as cool as he or any of the other Chaos range.

Well done Guard armies get tons of attention though. Last week we were playing 1000 points for our monthly league, so I got to use my best-painted minis. My opponent was using his guard army. Individually his models are not painted to a very high standard, but on the field of battle they have a very uniform look, and look like an army. Even though my minis were individually better, his army got a lot more attention from passers-by. Chaos might look pretty, but guardsmen get all the ladies :)

Ironmonger
12-01-2009, 08:46

At least you get metal! The most metal we get is Metallica=hard rock. Would a little Annal Nathrakh be too much to ask for?!

probably...

Oh, another regret: choosing SoB as an army to build, coupled with my FW addiction. I could've just about put a down payment on that TT by now!:wtf:

Duce
12-01-2009, 09:03
mine is split into 3 parts. all linked.

Giving away a 9k odd eldar army about 5 years ago thinking i'm not playing this game anymore. Which also meant I binned all my old models or left them unloved /broken under the house (basement) and thirdly for binning my old GW items.

The only saving grace is i kept my white dwarves and after reading them a bit i got back into the hobby... and with the few marines i found i decided since they survived the binnings and revlots of me not playing.. they are all being restored and made into the highest honours 1st company vets.

The only advice i can give... never under any circumstances bin or sell your stuff unless your 100% sure and have thought about the decision at elast 10 times over a numbe rof occasions... the feeling of when you think how you had loads and got rid of it all is upsetting.

09Project
12-01-2009, 09:08
Over 12 years I have probably bought enough marines to form an army, but I get them out model them up then suddenly have the realisation, they Marines, return to store buy more Orks.. Then use the marines are paint scheme testers or give them away.

This situation is repeated on at least a once every two years basis.

I still have no idea why either....

Jellicoe
12-01-2009, 10:25
Not buying the Realms of Chaos books when they came out in the 1990's - just as I was entering my wilderness years and being a poor student, albeit I bought a number of map and counter games instead and developed my 'historicals' side. I could have easily made back the cover price had I bought those 2 tomes

Otherwise I do regret not getting enough games in but the modelling and painting alone are good for the soul

Cannoness Radegunda
12-01-2009, 10:38
Well for me it has to be ducking out of the hobby for a decade between 93 and 2003.

Actually, I don't really regret the time I spent out - lots of fun was had - but I do regret giving all of my stuff collected since the late 80s - tonnes of original RT and fantasy minis, Realm of Chaos and RT books, White Dwarfs with issue numbers in double figures, the edition of WHFB in a box with card counters representing the Lichemaster etc and lots of WHFRP books including the entire Enemy Within campaign - to my cousin who subsequently binned it all.

:cries:

Surfing SOL and seeing literally hundreds of minis I used to own is very sad. But it does save me from the shame of having to see my teenage painting. In my mind it looks quite good...

Since then I regret starting two all metal armies and a number of impulse FW purchases that are stacked up in my spare room awaiting some free time.

I still love the WH/40k setting but I'm happily assembling 10mm WWII russians for a very reasonable price :)

feelnopain666
12-01-2009, 10:56
I regret buying things from a Company, who doesnt give a f#$%, about his costumers. They only cares about making more money, without thinking about the players who spend large sums of money over the years, only to find out that with the new codex, you now have lots of ilegal minis (my Aspiring Champions with lightnight claws, nurglings, plague bearers, etc).
YES, I'M A DEATH GUARD PLAYER, NOT A SPACE PIRATES PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fortunally, theres a lot of others games companies out there, and they never give me that same treatment.

PS: I was very close to start a Death Korps of Krieg army, but since the new codex's remove every and any variation in armies, I will not do it. What's the point of having a DKoK army if the rules are going to become the same as Cadia, Vostroya, Catachan, etc?

MajorWesJanson
12-01-2009, 12:48
Attempting a Land Raider Paladin conversion only a few weeks into the hobby.

Buying a bunch of Chaos and CSM stuff just to paint and build. Should have got a bit more Tau or guard for the same price.

Dropping my Pred Annhilator which was my first model bought, built, and painted, just after coming home from a tournament where I gave it unit of the match for my army.

Wolflord Havoc
12-01-2009, 12:59
I regret not playing enough linked campaigns and not becoming a Tread head sooner and learning the joys of the Imperial Guard (in victory and defeat) until I reached my 30s.

x-esiv-4c
12-01-2009, 13:06
No regrets here.

Granitearm
12-01-2009, 13:33
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of odd looks here, but my biggest regret is not buying Man O' War when it was available. Those little boats just looked so cool, and now it's almost impossible to find any of them anymore.

And sometimes, just sometimes, I regret all the money and time I've put into it. I love my models, I really do, and I love gaming, but I've spent an obscene amount of money over theyears (though not nearly as bad as some). But as my wife told me, you have to do something with your free time, and a good hobby is better than a lot of alternatives.

Darkstar2586
12-01-2009, 13:53
Regrets hey?

As most have said, the amount of money I have spent over the years on it.

Starting a new tau army 3 years ago and never really giving it much love, as I use the other two armies (SM and Eldar) and could have improved them instead.

And although my painting at present is quite good, i do regret all the previous painting it took to get me here! So many models that wont ever be used again due to bad painting and being plastic!

Jellicoe
12-01-2009, 14:32
So many models that wont ever be used again due to bad painting and being plastic!

nothing a bit of Simple Green can't fix. I have just finished stripping down some RTB01 marines very badly painted circa 1987/88. They will be good as new soon! Can't beat missile launchers with top mounted loading racks!

Future stripping projects include my 2nd/3rd ed Orc/gobbo army which will remove another horrific teenage painting regret!

09Project
12-01-2009, 14:38
Regrets..

Re-reading this thread, realising I have been playing more than 16 years not 12. Then feeling older again. :(

maze ironheart
12-01-2009, 16:16
Well...

...uh...

I too have no regrets.

Forlorn
12-01-2009, 16:20

Man I hear ya. Buying countless rule books and army books that go obselete. Then buying the new ones. Pouring money out on armies that become unplayable do to changes to the rules. I just can't stop myself from buying something.

Is it just me, but when I see an unpainted figure in a blister or on a sprue I never "see" the figure unpainted. I see it fully painted on the battlefield in the center of the action.

Thud
12-01-2009, 21:48
I was at my parents' this weekend and I found a Vampire Counts army. I guess I'd repressed my memories of that little venture into Fantasy. :p

At least you get metal! The most metal we get is Metallica=hard rock. Would a little Annal Nathrakh be too much to ask for?!

Yes, yes it would be. ;)

brother_fandango
12-01-2009, 22:26
I regret selling my SM and IG armies before coming to college. I havent gotten too much a chance to play, but I will one day, and I miss them alot...

Edonil
12-01-2009, 22:55
I regret starting Space Marines. (Fixed that- traded it in for Eldar!) And getting the fantasy Chaos Spearhead- love the models, but I hardly ever use my Chaos nowadays, the poor little buggers...

szlachcic
12-01-2009, 23:14
I have two regrets dealing with the hobby and I guess in reality they are similar situations. Both times I was interested in a new army release and would run out and buy basically the entire army at once. The first time was a Bret army for WHFB as I hadn't been playing with my Dark Elves in a while and wanted something new. I found out that even though I liked a lot of their models, I hated painting them and the army's play style was extremely boring IMO. The second case was when the second 3rd edition IG was released I made the same mistake. Luckily I didn't collect quite enough models to make a 1850+ point army, but it was still a good chunk of money.

Basically I learned to play test my lists before I buy a bunch of models no matter how cool it sounds in my head. I guess the IG wasn't a complete bust b/c they are great for filling up gaps in Apoc games and the like, but I really should sell my brets as I never touch them. I actually wouldn't mind starting another guard sometime, but it would definitely be a mechanized force (possibly with DKoK models) as I didn't like the infantry horde style list.

Something else I would have regretted if I had followed through with it would have been leaving the hobby. Around two and a half years ago I was thinking about dropping out of the hobby as I was in somewhat of a slump. I seriously considered selling all of my armies and moving on, but luckily I had a change of heart and am still in the hobby today. I am currently enjoying both 40k and Fantasy immensely and am playing, painting, etc. more than I have in years.

Starchild
14-01-2009, 06:00
I regret selling my Steel Legion platoon. :cries:

Adra
14-01-2009, 10:33

Well i just want more lily allen but guess thats just me....

I to regret the chaos codex so much. i regret thinking it would be good. but most of all i regret how badly it effected me with its crapness. my fault really as i basicly stopped all aspects of the hobby. i should have just moved onto something new...silly

Smiling Banshee
14-01-2009, 11:30
My regret is becoming disillusioned with 40k during 3rd ed. Convinving myself that I wouldn't ever play again and then selling my entire 2500pt chaos army to a good friends nephew for 20, just to make space. (I know I could have got more for it but at the time I wanted to help a new player get into the hobby)
I then got back involved late 4th ed and decided I wanted to collect Chaos again. Prices had gone up and I had to start all over again.

Let that be a lesson to anyone thinking of getting rid of your stuff? Don't do it unless your really, 100%, absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, sure that your not going to want it in the future. And don't ever let generosity get the better of you. Oh what a plank I was.

Born Again
14-01-2009, 11:33
I deeply regret choosing white as the main colour for my Space Marines.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x6/angryboy2k/EliteCadre.jpg

Steve

Why? They look good.

Another one, I regret the Land Raider collecting dust in the top of my wardrobe. I bought this excitedly when the LR was first released all those years ago now, completely in over my head as it was the first vehicle or even large model I attempted to build. As a result i stuffed up, spilt some glue where it shoudn't go, and the front ramp doesn't open properly. It hasn't been used in a long time, due to that fact and the mediocre paintjob. If I ever get another LR for a future army, I'm considering tearing this one apart to use the bottom floor plate in the new one... it's distinguished by having Jes Goodwin's signature on the bottom. It therefore not only is a regrettable model, but one of my favourites :p

daemonkin
14-01-2009, 11:35
I regret selling my Ravenguard army (http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/category/2) but was out of work and needed a quick cash injection - 400 on ebay.

D.

DarkReaver
14-01-2009, 12:13
Some of my regrets.

Selling/losing/chopping all my Necromunda models :cries: I so loved them all and could of used them in my LATD army.

Not buying any of the old metal Chaos Cultist models when they were available. I loved the look of them but never bothered.

Butchering the sponsons on my Baneblade. Two sets of sponsons and I ruined them making them useless. Shame on me.

jfrazell
14-01-2009, 12:16
When I first got back into 40K (late 3rd edition) buying so much marine and guard stuff-much still unopened.

Buying marine stuff.
Buying Epic and BFG. Great games but not enough people play.

Frankly I agree on finding the hobby in the first place. Too much money spent on this hobby.

Doppleskanger
14-01-2009, 12:57
Ooooh, here goes

Deciding Blood Bowl was the future just before my Games club changed its night to one I couldn't intend. Boxed set and four teams that have never been used.

When I started up again after a 10 year break I got a new tau army, which I loved and painted with a custom paint job, of a light blue with white details. The army looked good, even been nominated for best painted a few times, but mixing the blue takes forever to get just right and the white over a dark grey undercoat takes eons to do, about 7 coats! So the army got to 1800pts and will never grow. Never choose a main colour not straight from the pot, and NEVER paint white!

Getting cheap SoB in a grab bag deal at GW and then buying a load of expensive metal minis to complete the army. It sits unpainted and unloved waiting for a decent codex...

I don't agree in general about the cost though. I got back into the hobby when my kid was born, to save money and keep me out of the pub. When I'm on a mission doing a new army, and there have been many, many, I don't go out very much. I reckon if each night I'm painting and not blowing 40 quid down town I'm very much quids in, healthier and generally happier. So yes I've spent a fair few grand over the last few years but if I'm bored I tend to drink, and by having something else to do I've probably saved a lot of money and have something to show for it rather than just a bigger belly and an iller liver.

NeonDante
14-01-2009, 13:44
I regret losing my old ork army. I don't know if it was stolen or what... but so much effort lost in an instant. :cries:

I'm only now getting my new army done.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 13:48
Selling my 3000pts+ of Eldar when I was in my early teens for a rediculous price then spending years watching friends play and being unable to afford anything substantial (dad had bought me the Eldar). :p

Filthy O'Bedlam
14-01-2009, 16:02
Some of my regrets.

Selling/losing/chopping all my Necromunda models :cries: I so loved them all and could of used them in my LATD army.

Not buying any of the old metal Chaos Cultist models when they were available. I loved the look of them but never bothered.

Oooooh, that sucks. I am eternally grateful that I resisted the urge to chop up my redemtionists, and bought a few packs of the cultists right when they came up

Cheers

Fist of Crimson
14-01-2009, 16:10
Not buying the Praetorian boxed set when it was available!

I was young and broke at the time.

Thrain
14-01-2009, 16:12
Good topic.

My big 40k regret was getting rid of all my 2nd edition stuff. I had a bunch of 2,000+ point armies with Armorcast goodies. All the rules and source books and I gave most if it away. I hope the people I gave it to still appreciate it. Man do I wish I could have my 2,000+ points of Vahallans back though.

Corporal Chaos
15-01-2009, 02:22
Not being younger when it all started. I also regret that I am in a GW Warhammer/ WH40K null zone. The game shops are all disapearing and the gamers in my area are so hard to find they must be in camo....well Enough of that. Most biggest regret is that I have become a responsible adult. This sucks.:rolleyes:

noobzilla
22-01-2009, 18:30
Selling about $100 of assembled, primed (and some painted) guard to a friend who convinced me... for $50...

Re-starting a Guard army 1 year later, influenced by the same friend...

Hey, you were the one who needed and wanted money for Eldar, I was willing to pay for some of your guys, and I needed them for my list,

Guard Rock, there should be no regrets there, especially because your list is the Baddest, Most Awesome List I've ever seen. How awesome is a Bad Company of Guardsmen that has their own Bad Company?!

My regret is buying Marines when I had no idea how to paint so they look atrocious and when I converted them to a Blood Angels successor chapter, they took a big hit too, I can't sell them, but I want to get rid of them! I really want another shooty army... TAU! :P

Wolf Sgt Kirke
22-01-2009, 18:55
i regret nearly all of my paint jobs because after 17 years of painting - i'm still garbage - as an example it wasn't until about six weeks ago someone in my club pointed out that if i used a table my model would be steadier whilst i painted - doh! i'd always just held it up - now i feel dumb! I also regret buying nids - i learnt my lesson though and now only play the two armies i love - SW and Tanith.

toymaker
22-01-2009, 19:10
I don't know if I have any regrets. Mine are more transient things. Sometimes I wish I had a different army. I have 10k+ of Chaos across 2 chaos armies and sometimes wish I had something different. But when I do the neat conversions that chaos can offer I feel better. Plus I have a support group, one is my fiancee who likes what I do and another is a fellow chaos player who pushes me to stick with it. Can't complain in the long run.

sneaky
22-01-2009, 19:18
I regret selling my fantasy chaos army a few years ago, It would have been nice to use now. Luckily i got more than i payed for it. But the time i spent painting it I can't recover.

@Wolf Sgt Kirke :

For the painting if you aren't leaning on the table, trying cupping you're hands, just link you're little fingers. Then when you're hands shake they move together so it doesn't affect the paint job as much.

brightblade
22-01-2009, 20:10
I stopped the hobby for twelve years, did university, career, long term partner, house etc.... Realised I had stopped doing what I enjoyed and concentrated on making other people, who weren't worth it, happier and so hoped they would 'like me more' (All subconscious).
Pathetic.
Met a friend through other friends, saw his models and awoke. Like fog clearing to reveal glorious sunshine.:)

Walking into my local GW with a clear credit card and saying 'right, I will have one of them, two of those, six of them and fxxxin' all of those' was brilliant. Something I always wanted to do when I had no money. Now I have no money for a different reason. I give it to GW. No regrets.:D

ReveredChaplainDrake
22-01-2009, 20:13
I regret playing Eldar earlier than later. I would've been a much better painter than I was only a few years into the hobby. Now I have a bunch of useless Starcannon bases and barely enough Guardians to make them worthwhile. Everything that was even remotely decent was sold. My good Warlocks. Eldrad (with spiffy paint job). Wraithlord. Falcon and Wave Serpent. Rangers. Wish I could take another crack at them now that they have a much more even Codex and now that I'm a considerably better painter.

I regret not taking better care of my Hormagaunts. I know they suck, but I used to have an Endless Swarm. Now I just have a buttload of Gaunts.

I wish I never played Word Bearers and stuck to Black Legion. Black Legion was a simple paint job that I could make look very, very good. However, in 3.5, painting Word Bearers was a nightmare that I still have regrets to this day about because Mechrite Red had not come out yet. But in the 4th CSM codex, Word Bearers sucked terribly and were pointless without fun stuff like the Accursed Crozius + Daemonic Rune + Terminator Armor combo that I miss very, very much.

On the vein of Chaos Marines, I regret not buying a ton of plastic jump pack parts when I had the chance. All I want are Raptors that don't (1) break the bank, or (2) break at the Green Stuff joints.

I regret basing my earliest models with Kitty Litter. Did not work. Hilarity did not ensue.

Recently, I know it was Fantasy stuff, but I regret not reading the label on that textured spraypaint more carefully before using it to undercoat Morathi, my Harpies, and my Manflayers. :cries:

I wish I kept my brother's Orks and did them up for 4th edition. (In fact, my brother had a number of half-a**ed armies that I inherited, including my first Tyranids.) Then, maybe I could actually win a Tournament.

I regret not buying the Tau Rapid Insertion Force. Yes, even despite the silly name.

laudarkul
22-01-2009, 20:23
I regret selling my Steel Legion platoon. :cries:

Sorry man..I mean I have to find some spare money from other project to invest in SL...And in this year holiday I want some spare time to paint them...My regret will be if this year I will not finish them perfectly.

Ronin_eX
22-01-2009, 20:24
I regret spending money on 4th Edition stuff thinking GW had started on the road to positive change.

I regret getting rid of a lot of my 2nd Edition stuff the first time (never again!).

And to put the two together I should have gotten into 2nd Edition again when the 40k bug bit me again instead of simply going with 4th. All the fluff I love with a rule system that isn't quite so dire as the majority of core games GW seem to release.

I also regret not getting into Epic/Necromunda/Warmaster until now. Much superior to the core offerings and much more fun. At this point it is a hard sell to get more people into these games until I build up a second demo force for them.

Finally I regret not getting into non-GW stuff sooner. I missed a lot of awesome stuff when I started gaming (wishes he had started a Chronopia army while he had the chance).

chromedog
22-01-2009, 20:51
My one regret ...

I sometimes regret joining certain boards.

Other than that, life is too short. Play something because YOU want to, not because someone you like does, or because you want someone else to like you.

TheOneWithNoName
22-01-2009, 21:22
I regret buying more than one army.

Angelwing
23-01-2009, 00:51
I regret not buying loads of squats, chaos dwarfs, epic and other now OOP models when I was a red shirt.....

Pink Horror
23-01-2009, 01:05
I regret convincing people to get models less popular armies, such as the Chaos Dwarfs in fantasy, or the Dark Eldar or Sisters of Battle. They would have been happier with Marines or Tyranids.

Triggerdog
23-01-2009, 01:06
I regret getting involved in it all together.

Now I've blown thousands of dollars and I am quickly running out of space to put things.

Brother Captain
23-01-2009, 01:52
I mostly regret my lazyness and lack of motivation...

-I regret that though I absolutely love painting, most days I'm too tired/bored to paint anything.

-I regret building and painting my 1500 points Blood Angel sucessor army and not having a game with it. Its been sitting in my display cabinet during the last year.

-I regret bringing this army with me when I moved to London and still not having a single game.

-I regret that I didn't run any painting tutorials at the gaming store of my hometown when I had time.

Though I don't regret:

-Getting in the hobby

-All the people I met in the hobby

-Traveling 1000km in one day to run a painting tutorial

-Traveling 1000km in one day to enter a painting competittion

-Focussing more on the painting aspect of the hobby. I love my brushes! :D

Edit: I regret not buying that unreleased Acolyte model I had spoted on Ebay a year ago. And I had some spare cash at the time... :mad:

AngryAngel
23-01-2009, 02:11
I regret having not enough time to play games with the models I've spent so much time and money on. Other then that, I have no regrets, they are a waste of time. Do only what makes you proud, and say to heck with it. We only live once to spend in regret is a damn shame when its over too quick.

DaSpaceAsians
23-05-2009, 12:12
I regret converting all three of my Leman Russes to Vanquishers to use the Forge World Rules for them and seeing the rules change in the new codex:cries:
I regret not having a job and being too lazy to get one to pay my army:cries:
I regret badly painting close to 60-70 IG:cries:

I don't regret starting 40k and having fun with friends on weekends.:D

Wicksy
23-05-2009, 12:26
All i regret is binning my blood angels army after i finished with 40K in the late '90's. I wish i'd kept them to paint like a friend did. Now he's at the point that he could enter the golden demon without looking stupid and i have just learned what washes do :D

htj
23-05-2009, 13:06
I regret falling out of contact with the friend who had my 2000pts of High Elves and BFG fleet at his house. I really should have picked them up.

SharpSilver
23-05-2009, 13:24
I regret, Nothing.

The Blood of the innocents shall be spilled!

EldarBishop
23-05-2009, 13:33
Being in this hobby- I could have bought a pretty decent computer with the amount I have invested into this. Not to mention the time I would have....

LOL, there's some of us who could have bought a new CAR, or a (perhaps even) a small HOUSE! (I'd be in the CAR section). :p

Regrets... starting a couple armies and then selling them off WAY cheaper then I paid for them... too quickly. Should have hung on to them, and got a bit more back.

Other then that, wish I had more time to paint/play/game/etc.

Been enjoying the hobby for around two decades :D

Tokamak
23-05-2009, 13:35
I regret creating a nurgle ork army.

Deon
23-05-2009, 18:57
my only regret is not having the time to play more games.
my best friend and i both work and have different hours
so we only get like 1 game a month maybe 2 if we are lucky
so i dont get to beat the cr*p out of my best friend and eternal arch enemy
at least not on the table :p;) and if we're on the table he usualy beats me:cries:
we do have a lot of fun when we do get a game :D

LonelyPath
23-05-2009, 19:32
My only regret is when I took 2 years out from gaming and did nothing but the modelling side of things. I wish I'd stuck at gaming as well for that period.

Well that and not buying more of the old Blister Box Sets when they were still available. 10 man metal squad for 6, what was I thinking not buying more?!

Ddraiglais
23-05-2009, 20:28
Recently I've been regretting coming back to the hobby at all. My CSM sit in my closet waiting for a new dex that could be years off. Until then all I really do is check Warseer for signs that a new CSM dex or a legions dex might be on it's way.

Halliprue
23-05-2009, 21:14
I regret gaving my mate all my warhammer, around 5,000pt space marine army 100s of paints white dwarfs and codex's. Because I wanted to quit and never return 18months later (today) I bought some ig and started all over again :P

DhaosAndy
23-05-2009, 21:51
Two

1/ being unable to open a box/blister and just build the bloody contents, unaltered.

2/ 4.0 CSM codex (That Wretched Document)

TheBigBadWolf
23-05-2009, 21:53
In my younger days when I was out of 40k I swapped my complete space hulk, deathwing and genstealer box sets for a boxed NES and a few games, what was I thinking :(:o

DarkstarSabre
23-05-2009, 21:58
My only regret is gluing a plastic carnifex. Never make that mistake. Magnitize the bugger!

When you have 12 of the buggers you tend to say 'sod magnets!'

Crube
23-05-2009, 22:01
I thought quite a bit about this...

do I regret the hours I spent painting and modelling stuff that ended up rubbish - nah

do I regret the (and ) on models - nah

do I regret working for GW - nah

My one regret... I left the hobby for a year a while ago. I sold all my stuff. Brace yourselves - bearing in mind this was about 10 years ago...

3000 points of lead skaven - 70
3000 points of Goblins
2000 points of marines
2000 points of orks
3000 points of High Elves
Talisman with all expansions
125 copies of WD
1 of every Army book
WH armies
both realms of chaos books - all for 120...

:cries:

Malice&Mizery
23-05-2009, 22:31
I regret spending so much on a hobby, it'd be cheaper to be a crack addict than this :p

Imperius
23-05-2009, 23:33
Well I am really new to this hobby, so all Ican say is AoBR.
I don't play Space Marines and I could only sell off the Dreadnaught.

Lord Humongous
24-05-2009, 00:50
First getting into the game mid 3rd edition, just as all the "trial rules" were coming out.

Buying the figs and vehicles for a LaTD army... and never even getting them assembled, let alone painted.

Not buying / trying rhinos and land raiders for my chaos army sooner.

Refusing to ever run proxy models / test an army build before making the models.

Treadhead_1st
24-05-2009, 01:38
1) Gaming for some 10 years and STILL not having a single, fully painted and based SQUAD

2) Throwing away 2000pts of Imperial Guard Catachans when my dad left (which were 3 colours on every model and tank)

3) Being drunk whilst reading this thread (go JackD!) and getting incredibly upset about the lack of gaming in the last 2 years thanks to going to uni (and dropping out again).

4) My job (for the last year) that means I have 1 day off a week, the same day my local GW is shut, and thus not getting anywhere with painting this year.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world though. I love this plastic-crack hobby of ours. Even if I never do anything.

Joewrightgm
24-05-2009, 02:43
I love this hobby. That is why I'm in it.

I regret . . . loosing steam lately. I love this game, but the only army I've had any fun with or success playing with is my Necrons. Odd, I know.

Hopefully the Dark Gods of Chaos will answer my prayers and I'll get back to hitting the painting table hard.

I also regret being on this site sometimes. I read things that make me sad. Sad because a lot of people on here don't seem to appreciate the hard work that goes into a lot of what GW does, and dismisses things are rubbish.

Above all else, I regret being a part of a community of callous people that hide behind their 'opinion' to urinate happily on the work of the designers with no thought to the humans that were behind creating yet another extension of our hobby. No thought given to the person sitting at their keyboard staring at a blank screen, trying to get inspired. The sculptor sitting at his desk with a blank dolly in his hand and a wad of hardening green stuff on the table. The people in the studio, trying the tenth or eleventh list permutation and realizing how bad it is. Again.

I also regret typing this, because more than likely people will call Troll, maybe report this post, or respond with their biting wit about how designing a codex is hardly work at all.

Warsmith_13
24-05-2009, 06:56
Assembling a unit of Chaos Marines before i read the army list. Used all the special weapons i could, then realised you're only allowed 2 in a 10-man squad!

Caprosmaster
24-05-2009, 06:59
starting space marines and now feeling obliged to do a 1.5k army of them |:(

chromedog
24-05-2009, 07:33
Apart from giving away 30-something Harlequins mid 2nd ed.
I just regret giving them away as they looked better than the current lot.

Apart from that, whilst there may be things I'd have done differently in my 25 years or so of gaming, there's no other regrets.