PDA

View Full Version : The Warseer Book Club

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Wintermute
18-03-2005, 20:16
Greetings Fellow Librarians,

For those of you not familiar with the old PBC, it exists to allow members to pass intelligent judgement and criticism of books published by Games Workshop/The Black Library and non-GW/Black Library products. Comments on any books are welcome but most comments will centre around the book the WBC members have decided to study in depth over a period of a few weeks.

How do you join the Warseer Book Club? By listing your favourite books (and their authors) from the following list of genres:

1. Science Fiction (must not be a GW/BL publication)

2. Fantasy (must not be a GW/BL publication)

3. General Fiction

4. Non Fiction

5. Games Workshop/Black Library

Please note that graphic novels are not acceptable as nominations for the above even if they were written by Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Frank Miller or J Michael Straczynski etc :p

Before Portant's untimely demise we were discussing First and Only by Dan Abnett, published by The Black Library.

The first session of the rejuvenated WBC will open today. We will conclude our discussion of First and Only and, as is custom, will award the book a score out of ten.

Our next novel for discussion will be a non-BL novel (we alternate between discussing BL and non-BL novels). The novel selected for our next non-BL book by PBC members, on the previous forum, was Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I'll announce the chapters for study and the opening date for discussion next week.

Thats enough explanation for the moment, its time to begin discussing books again :cool:

Wintermute

Books rated by The Warseer Book Club
(All ratings are out of ten)
Double Eagle (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=304) by Dan Abnett - WBC Score: 6
Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Robert A Heinlein WBC Score: 6.42

Gaebriel
18-03-2005, 21:56
Hello together, no n00b to Portent but to the PBC - I'll join here now I don't have to read a monster thread to feel comfortable.

So, I have a couple of questions.

a. The books should be neccessarily still in print, I guess, so what do I take as reference? Amazon.com?
b. If a favourite book is not the first part of a trilogy/series, should I then rather leave it out or just name the first book (if it's any good)?
c. Does Science Fiction include similar genres as Dark Future (Cyberpunk), or do these fall under General Fiction?

I'll have to leave First and Only out, but I'll for sure reread Snow Crash.

edit :

Count Zero by William Gibson (second part of the Neuromancer trilogy)

Katzenspuren by Christel Scheja (from a german series based on a popular german rpg)

I'll leave out The Lord of the Rings, because it's a classic and beyond rating for me.

3. General Fiction

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

4. Non Fiction

C/C++ Programmer's Reference by Herbert Schildt

I'm afraid I don't read much non-fiction...

I only know the first two Eisenhorn novels, and though I like them, I wouldn't call them most favourite.

Wintermute
19-03-2005, 22:14
So, I have a couple of questions.

a. The books should be neccessarily still in print, I guess, so what do I take as reference? Amazon.com?
b. If a favourite book is not the first part of a trilogy/series, should I then rather leave it out or just name the first book (if it's any good)?
c. Does Science Fiction include similar genres as Dark Future (Cyberpunk), or do these fall under General Fiction?

I'll have to leave First and Only out, but I'll for sure reread Snow Crash.

Hi Gaebriel

To answer your questions:

a. It doesn't matter if the book is out of print and just because you can't find it on Amazon it doesn't mean the book is out of print or unavailable.

b. It doesn't matter if book is the thity-fifth of a series, its still YOUR favourite isn't it?

c. You have answered the question yourself Dark Future (I assume you are referring to the Role Playing Game, not GWs Dark Future game) is heavily influenced by the novels of Wlliam Gibson, Bruce Stirling and the other cyperpunk authors and is therefore science fiction.

The Phoenix
20-03-2005, 01:38
I'd like to join. In answer to the 5 questions...

1. SciFi - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

2. Fantasy - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. General Fiction - Catcher In the Rye

4. Non Fiction - Super System

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - Um... the old Wood Elf army book? I've never read any of the Warhammer / 40K novels :eek:

Odin
20-03-2005, 02:03
OK then....

1. Science Fiction - Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks (although I love Dune by Frak Herbert as well)

2. Fantasy - Terry Pratchett (difficult to choose an individual book, they're all great) (LotR as well, but that's just too obvious)

3. General Fiction - the Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

4. Non Fiction - IBM and the Holocaust - (don't recall the author's name)

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - Eisenhorn Trilogy

SpectreLegacy
20-03-2005, 04:27
Awesome! Now that this place is re-starting, I'm not intimidated by hundreds of pages of existing posts and will actually join! So, the favorites...
1. Sci-fi: Ben Bova - Mars
2. Fantasy: Terry Goodkind - Stone of Tears
3. General Fiction: It - Stephen King
4. Non-Fiction: Richard Marcinko - Rogure Warrior
5. BL: 13th Legion - Gav Thorpe

Frodo34x
20-03-2005, 10:09
1. Science Fiction - Children of Dune

2. Fantasy - The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

3. General Fiction -Mort

4. Non Fiction - Does The Bible count?

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - Necropolis

Great Harlequin
20-03-2005, 10:41
Hobey-Ho!

It's better than good to be back. :)

1. Science Fiction - Ender's game

2. Fantasy - Pendragon series

3. General Fiction - The Antipope

4. Non Fiction - Rifles

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - Ghostmaker

Hey-Ho let's go!

Edit: First and only

Well I really think First and Only exceeded alot of my expectations. I've heard many people go on about it before but I never thought it would live up to the hype. It did. I feel that the book provided amazing descriptive qualities and a decent storyline with plenty of twists and cliffhangers to keep you guessing. The battles are very detailed and dramatic. But what I think the book delivered best was the characters personalities. You really did get to know all the characters and grow to love them. I am assured that the characters are described in yet more detailed in his second novel "Ghostmaker" which I have purchased. Overall one of the best Black library novels I've had the fortune to read. I would like to give a rating of:

salty
20-03-2005, 11:39
Yea, why not, I'll join:

1) Red Dwarf novels - Rob Grant and Doug Naylor... it IS sci-fi, it IS!!!

2)White Wolf - David Gemmel

3)The Godfather -Mario Puz AND the Godfather: The Lost Year - Mark Wingardner

4)Naval Warfare in the Age of the Sail

5)Necropolis

Salty :)

Firebreath
20-03-2005, 12:50
1. Science Fiction (must not be a GW/BL publication): Ilium by Dan Simmons.

2. Fantasy (must not be a GW/BL publication): I'm still not much of a Fantasy reader, I'm afraid. :(

3. General Fiction: can't think of one. Not really interested in it.

4. Non Fiction: see above. :o

5. Games Workshop/Black Library: Sabbat Martyr by Dan Abnett.

If only I could remember what I put as my favourites first time around. :D
As for mopping up First and Only by Dan Abnett: it's the second best book in the Gaunt's Ghosts (IMHO) and I'd like to reward it a mighty 8.

I started Snow Crash yesterday and I was grinning fiendishly throughout the first two chapters. Nice piece of writing, so far.

Gaebriel
21-03-2005, 11:38
Lately I realized that I couldn't get myself to read through a whole novel, reading up to maybe half, and reading half a dozen books at a time. Now this might have to do with a - kinda - questionable quality of authors (my standard fodder used to be Battletech and Shadowrun for years...), old age, or simply too much easy multimedia distraction.

I then experimented and found out I could more easily 'cope' with short stories, and so I started delving into those - and it worked. I've already read through Deathwing (Black Library), and am right now reading Into the Maelstrom (BL), Heinlein's Future History, and rereading Lovecraft.

What I learned liking about short stories were characters and plotlines that were not unnecessarily drawn out, and a kinda "fast gratification" in way of reaching the story climax.

Now to my favourites or notables among the recently read.

It's Deathwing by Bryan Ansell & William King, because I always like to delve into the emotional side of Space Marines, and learned much about Dark Angel history. Devil's Marauders by William King for an impressive if short visualization of an Imperial Commissar. The Alien Beast Within by Ian Watson for it's very personalized description of the main character's (Callidus Assassin) inner struggle.

On to Heinlein - well, some of them was rereading stories I already read during the eighties, most of the early stories (e.g. The Roads Must Roll, Blowups Happen), seem a bit involuntarily humoristic from a modern point of view - especially his outlook on atomic energy management. I liked The Long Watch (which I vaguely remembered), as it captures a part of my own character in sense of duty and laconic behaviour.

So what do you think about short stories, as opposed to full novels, or even major series?

Xhalax
21-03-2005, 13:14
I kept meaning to join in before Portent died, but coz I was so busy and am such a terribly slow reader, i thought against it. But now....what the hell. I'm looking for another book to read after Iv'e finished Crimson Tears....so First and Only is as good a place to start.

Dune

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (I'm not one for fantasy novels really)

3. General Fiction

Prey by Michael Crichton

4. Non Fiction

I don't really read non-fiction....though I was looking at the biography section on Amazon and pining If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. And sicne I think he rocks....may have to get it.

I really can't narrow it down to just one book as it depends on my mood at the time. And it changes when I read.
But I love the Eisenhorn Trilogy, Love Ragnar series and I adore the Cain series and Angels of Darkness always hold a special place in my heart.

Done and done. Now I've got to pick up First and Only and start reading it.
*pulls out Crimson Tears and starts reading like she's never read before*

Badgobbla
21-03-2005, 13:33
Hey hey hey,

finally some good news: the PBC is back! Yay! And so am i :D

Ilium by Dan Simmons (can't wait till june for the publication of the sequel), Foundation series and some robot short stories by Asimov, Neuromancer (I'm still struggling to get through this one, but it's a blast)

Anything by Pratchett (especially the earlier discworld novels)

3. General Fiction
The Name of the Rose by Eco and some thrillers by Belgian and Dutch writers, but nothing springs to mind as it's been a while since I read in dutch.

4. Non Fiction
my latest cookbook :D

Haven't read much, but Grey Knights was pretty good.

At the moment I'm still in the middle of reading three (!) books: "Neuromancer" by Gibson, "Von Bek" by Moorcock (I really don't like the second story in this book. The first one "the warhound and the world's pain" was good, but the second one is kinda boring) and "the complete robot" by Asimov (some good short stories on robots).

I'm hoping to finish at least "Neuromancer" before the next PBC-discussion, but, as I'm in a painting-frenzy these last couple of days, it won't be easy.

Glad to be back and very glad to see some other old members from the PBC

PS now I know where Wintermute got his nick ;)

Firebreath
21-03-2005, 15:33
So what do you think about short stories, as opposed to full novels, or even major series?
Short stories can work very well, but I feel I'm not really attracted to them.
Probably because I like to be emerged in the 'universe' in which the story is playing, I like to be able to identify with the character(s), I like the gradual development of the plot.
A short(er) story like Diamond Dogs by A. Reynolds works very well because it's a compelling story with a sharp twist and because it happens in a grander setting which is the Revelation Space-universe.
With that in mind, short stories set in the WH40K-universe might work as well, but I just haven't tried them yet (although the original PBC did a bundle of short stories, I was busy with other things at the time).

So, I like full novels better.

And major series really need to end somewhere, especially if the same characters are going to crop up every time. Case in point: the extended Star Wars-universe. The X-Wing-series was good and so were a lot of other books, but it just went too far when the Yuuzan Vong(sp?) started to show up. It became tedious (imho). I haven't tried anything of the recent prequel/Clone Wars-stuff, so maybe that's somewhat more intruiging, but I doubt it. Besides, I'm too busy reading the high-end SF stuff. ;)

arxhon
21-03-2005, 15:38
*throws some books into onto the table*

Holy Fire - Bruce Sterling

Flamesong - M.A.R. Barker

3. General Fiction
Don't read much, really.

4. Non Fiction
Age of Spiritual Machines - Ray Kurzweil

Don't read, don't care. :D

Aureus
25-03-2005, 10:35
1. Science Fiction
Caves of Steel + Rest of the Robot Novels; Isaac Asimov
Foundation + Rest of the Foundation Stories; Isaac Asimov

3. General Fiction

Rainbow Six; Tom Clancy

4. Non Fiction
Investment Biker; Jim Rogers
Adventure Capitalist; Jim Rogers

Hideous Loon
29-03-2005, 21:48
1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Wildly hilarious.

2. The Belgariad by David Eddings.

3. Needful Things by Stephen King. It's interesting to see how everybody in a small town can start to hate each other like they do in that novel.

4. Don't read much non-fiction, but I read, as research to my essay about Adolf Hitler, "Hitler: A Study in Tyranny" by Alan Bullock. About 700 pages about a homicidal tyrant.

5. Don't read much BL publications neither, but The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer was rather good.

For all of you who like Dan Brown, and in particular "The da Vinci Code", I'd like to whine at you for several reasons.
First, the historical texts that he bases his theory about (the Gnostic Gospels) is written some time into the 2nd century, and base themselves at most parts on the Big Four. True, they *have* found the Gospel according to Thomas, where it says that Jesus was but a human being. So we have four texts that point out Jesus as the Son of God, and we have one, read one, text where it says that Jesus was a normal man. I believe the odds are in our favour.
Second, he refers to a Roman Emperor during the 3rd century, who I believe was called Constantin, who together with the leaders of the church "decided" whether Jesus was the Son of God or not. The truth (according to another article I read the other day) is that Constantin had no motives, neither political nor any other, to make such a decision. The Roman Empire was Christian at this point, and no decisions of that magnitude was to be made.

My 2 cents...

hairyman
01-04-2005, 09:53
never noticed this place before....

1. The Player of Games (Ian M Banks)
2. The Gormenghast Trilogy (Mervyn Peake)
3. Either The Alexandria Quartet (Lawrence Durrell) or The Glass Bead Game (Herman Hesse)
4. Existentialism & Humanism (Jean Paul Satre)
5. Never read any

My main problem with Dan Brown was that he was a very very trashy writer.... the Mills & Boon characters my mum loves have more depth.

@ Gabriel.. I prefer a good novel to a good short story, but appreciate that a tight and well written short story is very possibly harder to write. It's also the one area where sci-fi really comes into it's own (Philip K Dick, Robert Silverberg, Jack Vance etc all write a cracking short story)... and probably produces the best short fiction going.

worldshatterer
01-04-2005, 11:14
1.Sci Fi=Snow Crash[Neal Stephenson],its a true cyberpunk classic and reads much better than William Gibson .
2.Fantasy=Game of Thrones[George R.R. Martin] the only epic saga that i've read that can actually handle multiple plot threads and characters with any skill
3.General=Either anything by Hunter S.Thompson, or George MacDonald Frasier's Flashman novels. Both make me laugh, Hunter S.Thompson is genuinely a gifted writer, and Flashman is full of bizarre historic based humour which was inherent in early 40k
4.Non-Fiction= History of The British Royal Navy[Eric J.Grove], The authors one of my lecturers and you can hear his genuine passion about naval history in the writing .
5. Black Library/Glorified FanFic=Caves of Ice[Sandy Mitchell], the only black library author i've read who manages to embrace the dark desperate humour of life in the 41st millenium, and produce a central character whose sole concern isn't the advancement of his faction/race .

Short Stories can be amazing, Sci Fi, especially when its focused around a single concept comes into its own in the short story, where one can forgive problems such as weak characterisation and lack of background depth .

Frodo34x
01-04-2005, 14:43
Curremtly I'm reading: She Said Yes (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743400526/qid=1112368653/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-2917824-7078205?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Xhalax
02-04-2005, 00:54
Right now I'm about a third of the way through If Chins could kill: Confessions of a B movie actor (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312291450/qid%3D1112405072/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-5175146-9545549)
'tis hellishly amusing and gives hints into how to go about making an Independent moveie.
And First and Only is next on my list as I've got 7 hours of travelling to deal with this week and 7 hours next week....with an unknown amount of reading time in between

Oh yes I did
02-04-2005, 11:33
1. The Invisible Man by HG Wells. Or maybe Red Dwarf. Or maybe At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft, if that counts.

2. Magician by Raymond E Feist, or Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

3. Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. That's probably my favourite book of all time right there, truth be known.

4. Confessions of an Heiress by Paris Hilton, or else Hells Angels by HST (does gonzo journalism count as NF?). Actually, A Brief History of Time was kind of cool too, in it's own outdated kind of way

5. Drachenfels was actually kind of sick, when I was a young 'un. And I remeber really getting into that Ignorant Armies compilation.

Rich
03-04-2005, 18:18
I've never before been a member of the portent book club, but I will give it a go now!

Here are my favs:

1.) The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe

2.) Its a toss up between Gene Wolfe's Latro novels and The Lord of the Rings (whioch has been a favorate of mine since a very young age).

3.) Paradise Lost, by John Milton

4.) Oxford handbook of Clinical Medicine is perhaps the most useful and well-thumbed non-fiction book in my collection.

5.) Space Marine by Ian Watson is number one for me. Execution Hour is another firm favorate. I also greatly enjoyed both Ciaphas Cain novels.

Kohhna
03-04-2005, 22:53
1. Science Fiction; Watchmen, Moore & Gibbons

2. Fantasy; Mythologies, WB Yeats

3. General Fiction;Cains Book, Alex Trocchi

4. Non Fiction; Year of Liberty, Thomas Pakenham

5. Games Workshop/Black Library;Never read an entire BL book. Does the very last Undead WFB army book, before it all got split up, count?

Gaebriel
04-04-2005, 09:35
concerning short stories

I reviewed what I know and like on short stories, and I realized that it were those placed in a common setting - as it's either compilations by the same author, who often uses the same basics (e.g. same tech at SF, Eric Brown comes to mind), or are set in a common setting, like, well, 40k or Shadowrun... So I agree that it's a common setting that makes for some coherency - even more, I like to look at different facettes of the same setting, through different eyes. Even more I enjoy to remeet known characters - or strings of interconnected stories - I'll try to analyze another time where the differences to a fully fledged novel lie.

Who are contemporary writers of good science fiction short stories? Most of the stuff I know is from the 70ies and 80ies, and well, I'm really out of it.

concerning Dan Brown

Dan Brown :D Well, the first thing I have to say is not to trust his "facts" - he's great in taking bits and smithing them together into an own vision - but that's about it. I had a hard time first reading it, because the thrillers I read untill now are a lot more fact-based (or so I hope ;) ), and I had to learn to take nothing for granted in a Brown novel.

What I think he is good at is suspense - Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code both were books that I couldn't put down untill my eyes blurred and I read through in two nights... That didn't happen to me for along time...

I just hope he doesn't overdo it with his plot-construction, as in, there were largely similar elements in both the books, which will lack quality when read for a third time.

'tis hellishly amusing
It is Campbell ;)

I might give it a try though I only read one biography in my life and that was Han... - well, Harrison Ford's...

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 10:05
1. Science Fiction (must not be a GW/BL publication):

Proabaly either Contest by Matthew Reilly or Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land

The Silmarillion By Tolkein. Although I haven't finished it, it is most certainly a masterpiece of mythology.

3. General Fiction

Something by Matthew Reilly, he writes good stories that are a fairly easy read.

4. Non Fiction

Definitely If Chins Could Kill. Extremely funny and well written account of independent film making and acting.

Malleus. Take Xenos, ramp up the scale and have well executed characters.

salty
04-04-2005, 12:39
I am currently reading The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time (I know, its a travesty that I never read it earlier, but I wanted to read the book before I see the film!).

And I can recommend pretty much anything written by David Gemmel.

Salty :)

Samoth
04-04-2005, 13:13
For those of you who have just read first and only, ghostmaker is good, but it's when you get to necropolis that things really start. One word for that one: satisfying.

hairyman
04-04-2005, 22:09
concerning short stories

Who are contemporary writers of good science fiction short stories? Most of the stuff I know is from the 70ies and 80ies, and well, I'm really out of it.

Good question.. I haven't got a clue either. Seems like that kind of SF short story has vanished? Ian M Banks is about the only new SF writer I bother with nowadays (his new book, "The Algebraist", is pure genius - a must read).

I've recently re-read Roger Zelazny's Amber series, great sci-fi/fantasy if anyone's interested. (Also spawned a fantastic RPG).

I've never read a 40k novel, how do they actually compare to other sci fi? I'm kind of scared to pick one up... afraid of encountering poorly churned out rubbish hung on the 40k universe. Could anyone recommend somewhere to start that'll break my preconceptions?

Kohhna
04-04-2005, 23:15
concerning short stories

Well, some of the Old hands are still doing good stuff, Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, Brian Aldiss have all done some good stuff. Steven Baxter and Peter F Hamilton all write good short form Genre fiction (some would argue Peter F's shorts and novellas are better than his long books). Also, Jonathan Lethem and Micheal Bishop have done some good work over the last few years. Theres plenty more, Interzone is a good short Scifi magazine and is still going, albeit erratically, as far as I know.

Piku
05-04-2005, 00:52
1. Science Fiction: Time (Manifold 1) Stephen Baxter

2. Fantasy: Sorry, none.

3. General Fiction: The Book of Guys, Garrisson Keillor

4. Non Fiction: Republican Party Reptile, P J O'Rourke.

+
The SAS personnal survival handbook, :p John Wiseman.

5. Games Workshop/Black Library: Does Daemonifugue count?

anarchistica
13-04-2005, 19:50
1. [SF] The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams. The sequels are very funny too.

2. [Fantasy] The Silmarillion - Tolkien. LOTR is better as a single story but The Silmarillion has everything, it's a fantasy bible.

3. [Fiction] One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Strange, fascinating, captivating and funny.

4. [Non-fiction] The Lore Of Arms - William Reid. Very interesting book about warfare.

5. [GW/BL] Sabbat Martyr - Dan Abnett. Dan Abnett is god. Nuff said.

I'll have to have another look at First and Only to say something sensible about it.

Justicar Jacob
14-04-2005, 03:18
Science Fiction: THe Blood Angels Series
Fantasy Fiction: Entire Forgottem Realms
General Fiction: Cannary Row
Non Fiction: Three Kingdoms (forget dynasty warriors: darn game)
GW/Black Library: Libra Chaotica Slaanesh

arxhon
14-04-2005, 05:05
I find that novellas and short novels are more to my liking. The writer has fewer words to spread about as useless filler (looks pointedly at Robert Jordan), making for a tighter, tauter read.

I don't care what you say, having 100 word long sentences is not good writing.

anarchistica
14-04-2005, 13:24
I find that novellas and short novels are more to my liking. The writer has fewer words to spread about as useless filler (looks pointedly at Robert Jordan), making for a tighter, tauter read.

I don't care what you say, having 100 word long sentences is not good writing.
Heh, i like BL's "pulp fiction", but nothing can compete with Tolkien's Silmarillion, LOTR or those other things he wrote, in my opinion.

Not sure what you consider to be "useless filler" though.

mangustheix
14-04-2005, 15:08
1. Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

2. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

3. Hmmm

4. Long Way Round - Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman

5. Not Sure, not a big fan

hairyman
14-04-2005, 15:26

3. [Fiction] One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Strange, fascinating, captivating and funny.

Fine choice, sir. One of my favourite books as well (along with all his other ones).

Slyracoon
14-04-2005, 16:51
Nice to see this up again, I was a member for a while with the old Portent but I had to drop out (pretty much dropped out of Portent all together) because of exams. Good to be back.

1. [SF] Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks. In my opinion the best of the Culture series, probably because Banks is far more impartial than in the later ones. If I remember correctly, it was Wintermute who recommended me this one. Honourable mention goes to Do Androids Dream Of Electrical Sheep, which I think I might prefer after a re-reading.

2. [Fantasy] I haven't read much fantasy recently, but I really enjoyed A Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin. The way he murders major characters with impunity just makes the whole thing very intriguing.

3. [Fiction] I'm torn here, between 1984 and Catch 22. I'm leaning more towards Catch 22 just now, but that's probably because I just finished re-reading it.

4. [Non-fiction] Confessions Of A B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. Seems to be a popular choice around here, and with good reason. Campbell manages to translate all of his charm and wit in person onto the page.

5. [GW/BL] I've read a fair few BL books, but after The Phoenix mentioned it I realised that I really did enjoy the Wood Elves armybook more than any of them. But maybe Gotrek & Felix have warped my memory of the other BL books...

Xhalax
14-04-2005, 17:25
4. [Non-fiction] Confessions Of A B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. Seems to be a popular choice around here, and with good reason. Campbell manages to translate all of his charm and wit in person onto the page

Damn straight!
I laughed my way all through the book and enjoyed it greatly. Plus there was a great amount of honesty in it too. It wasn't all about the glitz and glamour of making movies.
And as Gaebriel said: It is Campbell

Piku
14-04-2005, 21:18
1.3. [Fiction] One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Strange, fascinating, captivating and funny.

Whatever the literary equivalent of

CHOON!

Is.

BTW that means it's good and I liked it.
Such a strange saga.

anarchistica
14-04-2005, 23:30
Yes, i should read more of his work, it has such a weirdening effect on you. Any of his other works i should start with?

hairyman
15-04-2005, 16:29
"Love and death in a time of Cholera" is very very good (If I've got the title right). And he's done some excellent short stories. Never picked up a bad book by Marquez, to be honest.

sulla
19-04-2005, 02:17

Have to be DUNE... all that politics and treachery and no getting bogged down in techno babble.

Hmmm, not a big fantasy fan. Possibly Two Towers by Tolkein (mainly for Aragorns sneaky trick on Sauron using the palantir) or the pulp fantasy Dragonlance trilogy by Weia and Hickman. (tacky but very readable)

3. General Fiction

Have to be the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCulloch. Absolutely brilliant for lovers of the old republic like myself.

4. Non Fiction

On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. Hugely enlightening and sobering look at the psychological effects of killing.

Legacy by Matthew Farrer. Simple storyline and a cool vision of the 40K universe told through some if it's smaller players. The current Dark Elves armybook also deserves a mention due to the excellent 'greying' of their history. Almost worth buying for 'The founding of Naggaroth' alone.

First and Only: 2 out of 5. One of the best Gaunt's ghosts novels but I just can't connest with the characters. A commissar who doesn't execute his troops or play the political game? A backstabbing major who doesn't seem to? A trooper lugging an autocannon? A foe who seem to be steriotypical berzerkers...Still...ten times better than the inexplicable imperial tactics in Necroplilos.

Delicious Soy
19-04-2005, 09:01
Concerning First and Only:

The ghosts are still struggling to escape short story mode in this compared to the other books (excluding Ghostmaker for obvious reasons). It seems too straightforward, and I disagree with the ease with which Gaunt and the others handle Traitor marines, though this is a problem throughout the ghosts series (which is a bizzarre backflip from the Eisenhorn trilogy).

The story didn't really grab me and the action never really distracted me from this like it does in other ghost novels. The plot is too disjointed, the entire Fortis Binary sequence is a false start with minimal relevance to the rest of the novel, what comes out of it could have been exposited in a paragraph or two or could have been revealed in ways more relevant to the rest of the book.

Further excerbating the problems is that each character is still simply running around in the niche of their cast types.There is no exploration as to why they're like that or how it affects their roles in the regiment nor is there any attempt to challenge these cast types like there is later on in the series (however hamfisted it might be).

All in all I'd say about 2 out of 5

Xhalax
19-04-2005, 14:39
After reading First and Only, I still can't quite understand why this is the first book.
Ghostmaker should have been instead as First and Only lack most of the character building and backstory to make me want to actually go on and read the books (I'm only continuing coz I've been told that they get better....if I hadn't have been told, I don't think i would have continued with Ghostmaker)...so when the characters were slaughtered, i felt nothing for them coz, well I barely knew anything about them. Which is usually no me, coz I always get involved in the books I read, but no so much in First and Only.

As far as story goes, it was ok, not brilliant but it kept me kinda entertained while on a longhaul flight. But it was a bit to bitty for my liking.
Jumping backwards and forwards to fill in the backstory seems to be a common tool in BL books, but there wasn't much flow in First and Only.
It just cut from present to past with no real reason why it should be going backwards. And it did kinda just feel like a drawn out short story rather than one adventure.

And I agree with Soy on the rating 2 out of 5. Alright but not great....and I've read better

IAMPHONE
19-04-2005, 20:16
Sorry for going of topic a bit, but I need a little bit of help a book, so instead of starting a new topic I thought I'd just put it in the book club (makes sense?).

Anyway for those familiar with the New Jedi Order books and the Book "recovery", could you please try and sum up what happens in the book for me? I'm reading the entire series and I've got almost all of them, but this is one of two I can't find and I'm pretty sure is not yet available in the UK. Thanks..

As for Black Library Books, well I've never been really impressed with them. I've read the entire Space wolf trilogy and I've got a friend who's read most of the books involving Gaunt. We've pretty much agreed that they're not very good. In the space wold books noticeably King spends long amount of time repeating himself. I think he was more concerned with creating a 350 page book than some half decent literature. As for Gaunts ghosts, I've heard that it is similar.

sulla
25-04-2005, 12:19
As for Black Library Books, well I've never been really impressed with them.

Read Lords of the Night, if only for the implications about the emperor, or legacy if you are sick of all things chaos and just want a character driven story. Caves of Ice is also good fun. Ciaphis Cain is probably the best character in all the BL books.

Basically, the more serialised an author is, the more pulp trash their novels seem.

Slyracoon
25-04-2005, 20:53
Iamphone: Actually Recovery is included at the start of Star By Star, it's basically a short bridge story between two of the books. It was pretty clumsily handled, if you ask me. Still a good series though, I've read them all.

Oguleth
08-05-2005, 15:52
1. Sciene Fiction:

Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman - I don`t read much science fiction, but I liked this...

2. Fantasy:

Either The Black Company series by Glen Cook or The Fencer Trilogy by KJ Parker - both series has lots of characters, concepts and suchlike that I like, not to mention pretty good writers having penned them, so...

3. General Fiction:

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk - From the author of Fight Club; incredible stuff...

4. Non-fiction:

Hard to tell really. I don`t read a lot of them, and don`t really have any favs..

5. BL novel:

Skavenslayer by William King - Just good honest fun. BL novels seldom have any plot to speak of, and this book has humour and some funny characters, making it worth reading.

About GG novels:

Can`t say I liked them. I have read 3 or 4 I think, because I was broke and borrowed them from a friend to have something to read. Don`t remember much, and won`t care to read them again...

Frodo34x
23-05-2005, 13:24
A trooper lugging an autocannon?
It's Dan Abnett. Try Malleus. That book has to have like, hundreds of guys lugging about autocannons.

Xhalax
23-05-2005, 19:26
Caves of Ice is also good fun. Ciaphis Cain is probably the best character in all the BL books.

I heatily agree with you. The Traitor's Hand is excellent too.

marv335
24-05-2005, 15:22
hi, it's good to be back.
my favorites are
SF; neuromancer-william gibson
Fantasy; the reclusce series- L.E. modesitt jr.
Fiction;red storm rising- Tom Clancy
non-fiction; essential bushcraft-Ray Mears
GW/BL; Space Marine- william king

Donut
31-05-2005, 05:05
Seems like a good place to restart procastination in the middle of Swot Vac.

Bookwise
SF: Change of Command - Elizabeth Moon, though the Serrano legacy I enjoyed as a whole
Fantasy: Silver Shadows - Elaine Cunningham
Fiction: Not much left, since I mainly read SF/Fantasy for my fiction needs
Non-fiction: a passion for DNA - James D. Watson (for those who don't know, he is one of the people who discovered the double helix structure of DNA)
GW/BL: Execution Hour/Shadowpoint - Gordon Rennie's. It puts 40k into perspective quite nicely.

Shas'o'Fior
12-06-2005, 14:21
SF: We Few - John Ringo
Fantasy: Skies of Pen - Anne McCaffery
Fiction: N/A (i only read SF and fantasy..mostly)
Non-Fiction: Band Of Brothers - Stephen E Ambrose
GW/BL: Necropolis - i forgot the author....

anarchistica
12-06-2005, 14:30
GW/BL: Necropolis - i forgot the author....
Dan Abnett...

Brandir
12-06-2005, 14:38
Not really a big fan of sci-fi books but I did enjoy reading the Amtrak Wars series of books by Patrick Tilley and Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series.

The Lord of the Rings and anything else Middle-earth flavoured by Prof Tolkien.

3. General Fiction
The books of Robert Harris (Enigma, Pompeii, Fatherland and Archangel)

4. Non Fiction
I'm a fan of history books. Years of Change: European History 1890-1945 by Robert Wofson, despite being an 'A' Level textbook, is a superb book.

Despite playing GW games for many many years I have only just started reading their novels. Particularly impressive was Witch Hunter and it's sequal Witch Finder by CL Werner.

I am presently re-reading the Elric books by Michael Moorcock and have Grey Knights by Ben Counter waiting for me next.

Ozorik
12-06-2005, 18:16
Science fiction: The stars my destination by Alfred Bester. Superb.

Fantasy: The book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe (a popular choice it seems), or Lord of light by Rodger Zelazny (even if they both are closer to Sci fi than fantasy).

General fiction: I am legend by Richard Matheson. Easily the most powerful book I have read.

Non fiction: Alamein, war without hate by John Bierman and Colin Smith. Battalion by Alastair Borthwick. The blind watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

Im not much of a fan of BL but some of Dan Abbnets books are ok. I should probably mention Space marine by Iain Watson as well, even though BL wasnt even founded when I read it, my school library had a copy for some unknown reason about 12 years ago.

x-esiv-4c
12-06-2005, 18:50
Has anyone read "A brave new world"?

Brandir
12-06-2005, 19:24
... General fiction: I am legend by Richard Matheson. Easily the most powerful book I have read. ...

Absolutely superb book. Did they ever make a film of it?

Anyway, would it be easier if a new thread was started for each new book we talked about? And could we help WarSeer's funding if we were an Amazon associate and provided a link?

Wintermute
12-06-2005, 20:19
Absolutely superb book. Did they ever make a film of it?

Yes I Am Legend was filmed as The Omega Man

Anyway, would it be easier if a new thread was started for each new book we talked about? And could we help WarSeer's funding if we were an Amazon associate and provided a link?

Historically we have always discussed books within the one thread - so I see no reason to change now.

Ozorik
12-06-2005, 21:44
Yes I Am Legend was filmed as The Omega Man

I never knew that.

Its a shame the film isnt closer to the book IMO as the books ending is fantastic and the film ignores it completely.

Piku
13-06-2005, 00:15

Aye, few years back now. Its the only Huxley I've read mind.

Badgobbla
13-06-2005, 07:36
Wintermute, will we be reading and discussing books again as we did before? If so, when could we start again, because I'm planning of making a big order from Amazon. Just so I can order the next book we're reading.

EDIT ok, I just read the very first post again and we're reading "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

Firebreath
13-06-2005, 16:20
* edits signature *

I've been out of the loop for a while, and I'm glad to see this thing is still going. :D

I've been reading a few things, such as Broken Angels, The Sparrow, Ringworld's Children, and Ravenor.
I didn't enjoy The Sparrow as much as the others, probably because of the lack of action which the others provided plenty of. Plus, the mention of "God" in every second paragraph got really annoying after a while (I am a blasphemer at heart ;) ).

I am currently reading Use Of Weapons by Iain M. Banks. Progress has been slow, but that's more down to personal reasons because the book itself shows no signs of being uninteresting.

I was reading Snow Crash when Portent went belly up and I've finished it a few months ago, but we could still discuss it, because it's insane. :evilgrin:

As a matter of fact, I'll be reading a huge pile of pages called Cryptonomicon by the same author after Market Forces by Richard Morgan. Plenty for me to read still.

Kohhna
13-06-2005, 22:34
Yes, thats a very good one. Going back a bit for me too.
A lot of the stuff in it was very prophetic if you ask me, the only thing he got wrong really was the Command economy beating the "Free" market economy, the rest is just a matter of degree.

Oh yes and Use Of Weapons is excellent.

Piku
13-06-2005, 22:46
Whoa, I'm reading Use of weapons right now. Couldn't get into Inversions...
Great ship names. (among other intellectual observations, of course.):rolleyes:

Found myself empathising with the feral in Brave New World.
As well as being prophetic BNW allows for a third person view of society. It would be less easy to see the moral questions had the story taken part in a world closer to our own.
Course, when the system breaks the feral, as it must, I found myself in mild shock as a great deal of literature finds the underdog winning through.

hairyman
14-06-2005, 01:31
[
As a matter of fact, I'll be reading a huge pile of pages called Cryptonomicon by the same author

I really enjoyed that, but didn't like the ending.

IMO Ian M Banks is the best sci fi writer out there at the moment. Consistently brilliant.

Firebreath
14-06-2005, 16:29
IMO Ian M Banks is the best sci fi writer out there at the moment. Consistently brilliant.
So far, Consider Phlebas and the aforementioned Use Of Weapons are the only titles I have read/am reading. He's very good, that's for sure.
I was trying to acquire Player Of Games but somehow it can't be ordered from my local bookdealer. I think I'll be placing a small order at Amazon at the end of the month (it seems to be available in England).

Other favourites on the SF front are Alistair Reynolds (Revelation Space, Chasm City), Dan Simmons (Hyperion, Ilium) and Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels).

hairyman
14-06-2005, 23:40
I was trying to acquire Player Of Games

My favourite... and the first one I read. The game at the end makes 40k look like tiddlywinks ;)

Heard good things about Hyperion, but not got round to it yet. Just re-read one of my all time favourites... Neil Gaiman's Sandman books. Although they're graphic novels and not straight fiction, the writing is far better than most sci-fi/fantasy out there... still blow me away every time I pick them up.

Kohhna
15-06-2005, 01:39
My favourite... and the first one I read. The game at the end makes 40k look like tiddlywinks ;)

Heard good things about Hyperion, but not got round to it yet. Just re-read one of my all time favourites... Neil Gaiman's Sandman books. Although they're graphic novels and not straight fiction, the writing is far better than most sci-fi/fantasy out there... still blow me away every time I pick them up.
Personally I prefer Use Of Weapons to Player of Games. The 'M'less Straight fiction is pretty good as well. The Bridge is excellent, and there was a good TV adaptation of the Crow Road a few years ago. Best Scottish Writer since Alexander Trocchi imo.

Gaiman's great and everything, but Alan Moore is still The Man when it comes to excellent challenging Sci-fi and fantasy. I read American Gods recently and it was bloody cool, but you should see the stuff Alans doing on Promethea.

Xisor
15-06-2005, 01:41
Hey all, Ill get stuck right in

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
3. General Fiction
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, don't recall the author
4. Non Fiction
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Execution Hour/Shadow Point by Gordon Rennie

You'll notice all but the last one are 'popular' answers in the wider world, but I really do think they are popular for a reason, not just because it's cool to say so. H2G2, I love it. Cheers me up any time.

The Hobbit, it has that extra element of fun to it, chapters wise, my favourite 'bit' of literature is the end of the two towers, with Samwise the Stouthearted, Shelobs Lair and the Choices of Master Samwise. Absolutely stunning, but bookwise, it has to be the hobbit. I loved it all, it had that sense of fun that was missing from LotR(rightly so I say, but they're different in many regards obviously).

Curious Incident, I'm not that widely read, and I read it as soon as I picked it up. I just loved it. Excellent and an original(in my experience) piece of writing. Connected well with me. I certainly wouldn't make a literary critic with this as an article.

BHoT: Loved it. Then again, I'm quite passionate for popular physics and things like that, and I like Stephen Hawkings writings.

Execution Hour & Shadowpoint: Absolutely brilliant for GW standard IMO. They are fun, informative for a WH40k perspective, and have an exceedingly accurate feel in terms of BFG, so much so that much of the BFG community accepts them as canon as to 'how things are' in the 40k Galaxy.

As for BNW, I've read some of it, and thoroughly enjoyed it so far, but I'm struggling to get back into it with a bit of effort. Whilst a good read, I did find it a bit 'disturbing' in an odd sense. The very idea of it just doesn't set well, which I presume is exactly the books intent, so kudos there!

Xisor

hairyman
15-06-2005, 10:27
Gaiman's great and everything, but Alan Moore is still The Man when it comes to excellent challenging Sci-fi and fantasy. I read American Gods recently and it was bloody cool, but you should see the stuff Alans doing on Promethea.

American Gods is very good, and oddly enough I've just started reading the Promethea comics after a hearty redommendation from a friend of mine who also liked the Sandman. Early signs are they're fantastic comics, but I don't quite get the sense of magic I got when I picked up Sandman for the first time. Read "V for Victory" (?) recently and enjoyed that too, but again.... no fireworks.

As for Ian M Banks, his newest sci fi is excellent, but generally all the culture/sci fi ones are of a consistent level. I've found his straight fiction a bit more hit and miss... really enjoyed some of it (Whit, Complicity) and thought some of it was pants (Canal Dreams). I did like the Bridge, though.

Kohhna
15-06-2005, 11:46
Early signs are they're fantastic comics, but I don't quite get the sense of magic I got when I picked up Sandman for the first time. Read "V for Victory" (?) recently and enjoyed that too, but again.... no fireworks.
Wait until you get into Book two, especially the famous episode with the extended "Magic Lesson", and the last story with the history of Mankind through the Tarot deck.

Do you mean V for Vendetta? Yeah thats a good one, but it doesn't quite have the spark of some of the later stuff. Though I hear they are doing a film with Natilie Porytman as Eve, though it'll probably be the usual travesty that most comic adaptations are.

hairyman
15-06-2005, 11:55
Do you mean V for Vendetta?

errr.. yes :o

Could make a good film, if they don't screw it up. If.......

Kohhna
16-06-2005, 00:15
errr.. yes :o

Could make a good film, if they don't screw it up. If.......

It isn't looking great. The ideas behind the book are being messed with, in the film Britian is a fascist state because its set in an alternative reality where Germany won WW2 (implying thats the only way it could happen, they haven't been reading the daily mail obviously). In the comic Britain becomes fascist due to social and economic crisis and a Nuclear war, and Moore brings out the elements of British life, and indeed human nature, that have a latent fascist potential (like high anglicanism for a start). It seems like once more the film is being nuetered and stripped of all the truly radical stuff in the comic, just like in From Hell and to a lesser extent the Leauge Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

As long as they get the song in at the beginning of the 2nd act i'll be quite happy though.

tesseract
16-06-2005, 18:04
1) Stranger in a Strange Land best science fiction book ever written.
2) Memory, sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams.
3) Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins
4) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
5) Have not yet read any of them.

Donut
16-06-2005, 18:14
@ Xisor - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is by Mark Haddon. Incidentally, it's now on the Victorian Y12 English reading list.

Twisted Ferret
16-06-2005, 18:50

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Deadhouse Gates, by Steve Erikson.

3. General Fiction

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce.

4. Non Fiction

I can't remember the exact title; it was a while ago. Something like "The Role of Germany in Western Civilization", a big scholarly tome found in a hidden corner of my school's library. It proved surprisingly fascinating, especially as I have a great love for things German. :)

Lord of the Night, by Simon Spurrier.

Hey, Wintermute is reading this thread... I just realized where that name came from. Neuromancer was a good book, and I too loved that name. :D

WLBjork
12-07-2005, 10:10
1. Sci-Fi - Arrgh! At the moment, I'd have to opt for the Honor Harrington Series, specifically War of Honor. Free online as well! (baen.ghostwheel.com)

2. Fantasy - At the moment, anything by Terry Pratchett. Currently re-reading Lords and Ladies.

3. General - another arrgh! To many to choose from... overload! Currently I think Teeth of the Tiger, by Tom Clancy

4. Non-fiction. Well, this is tricky. I enjoy the Science of the Discworld books but they are both fact and fiction, where the fiction supports the facts. Can I use this? Otherwise it would be Janes Fighting Ships of World War 2.

5. Necropolis - it's the novel I come back to the most often.

Commissar Vaughn
12-07-2005, 11:39
Scifi: Hitch Hikers Guide by Adams

Fantasy: anything by Pratchett

General: The warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwell, possibly the 3 best books ive ever read, and thats out of a lot of books!

Non fiction: ooh...erm...cant remember, Redcoat possibly or maybe brief history of time

GW/black library: to be honest i've not read much from these that i though matched any non GW related fantasy or sci fi, though some of the will king stuff looks good.

Firebreath
17-07-2005, 18:20
* kicks thread in the nuts *

I was in Amsterdam last friday for a certain U2-gig and because me and my mates came early, we had some time to go into the city. In the American Book Centre I managed to lay my hands on Olympos by Dan Simmons. And I thought it wouldn't be out until September!

I'm (of course) rambling about the sequel to Ilium, which we discussed in the original Portent Book Club. I managed to award it a 9.8 or a 9.9 (can't really remember and all data was lost :( ), because it was the best SF I've ever read. Words as "bizarre" and "weird" do not begin to cover it, and was wondering from front to back what the hell was going on... But what a spectacular masterpiece!

I've been a fan of Simmons' SF-work (can't comment about his horror-stuff, but then again I do not care much for horror) since Hyperion, The fall of Hyperion, Endymion and The rise of Endymion and all I can say is that the guy is brilliant. If you haven't read any of the titles mentioned above, do yourself a favour and do so in the very near future. I'll be starting Olympos very soon.

Which brings me to Use of Weapons, which I am reading now, and I'm halfway through.
First things first, Iain M. Banks' abilities as an author are unquestionable as I found out during Consider Phlebas.
But the way Use of Weapons is presented breaks my concentration. The flow of the main story is constantly interrupted by the chapters of characterbuilding of Zakalwe; although there must be some significance to these parts, I really couldn't care less at this point. Oh well. :(

warlordgrubnatz
17-07-2005, 18:50

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

3. General Fiction

the his dark materials trillogy, cant pick between them

4. Non Fiction
the making of Doom 3

dont realy read gw novels so
codex: orks/space marines/ orks

Wintermute
17-07-2005, 20:55
Firebreath: Olympos should, IIRC, been published in May. I have yet to add it to my collection, or more correctly, my growing pile of unread books.

[i]Use of Weapons is an interesting novel. The chapters featuring Zakalwe are meant to be a separate story. However, the Zakalwe chapters are printed in reverse in order to... well I won't spoil the surprise.

BTW this year's John W Campbell award for the best SF novel was awarded to Market Forces by Richard Morgan

May I just add I have no intention of buying any Harry Potter novels.

Ever!

Firebreath
17-07-2005, 23:18
...growing pile of unread books...
:D I hear ya. A few posts back I mentioned Cryptonomicon and Market Forces. Since then I've added The Traitor's Hand and Olympos. I've been showing much restraint, I must say. :angel:

The chapters featuring Zakalwe are meant to be a separate story. However, the Zakalwe chapters are printed in reverse in order to... well I won't spoil the surprise.
I had the feeling they were a different entity. I guess I'll have to follow through and see for myself what it's all about.

Credo72
18-07-2005, 18:06
Alan Moore has publicly announced that he want's nothing t'do with the V for Vendetta film and called it 'imbecilic' in a recent interview. I'm therefore expecting another 'LXG' *shudder*
Any-hoo favourite books. Usually struggle with lists like these as my choices change depending on my mood of the hour, but here goes...
Sci-Fi - Authors such as Neal Asher, Peter F. Hamilton and Jack L. Chalker are all up there f'me, so one from each. Skinner from Neal, The Reality Dysfunction from Petie F. and any one in the Well World series from Jack (A great idead an' well executed over a number of books)
Fantasy - The Scar by China Mieville (Love this bloke, one of the triumvirate of top writers f'me, along with Clive Barker an' Tery Pratchett). Perdido Street Station was good, but consider this t'be much better. I've got Iron Council a book or two down the line t'dig in to an' hopin' it'l be just as good.
General - Imajica by Clive Barker. A brilliant story with some grand twists. Damnation Game by the same bloke would also be a contender.
Non-Fiction - Bit of a tough one f'me as I treat reading as escapism. I've got all the real life I need, never mind reading some more. Sayin' that, Mick Foley's autobiography 'Foley is Good' was quite a fun read. An' it had pictures! :0)
GW - Pretty much anythin' by Dan Abnett, Malleus an' Necropolis would be in the top ranks. Sayin' that, Lord of Night an' Fire Warior by Simon Spurrier were fancy page turners as well.

Plaguebearer
19-07-2005, 03:42
The 4th George R. R. Martin Book for the Song of Fire and Ice series is out now... I'm not going to bother with a category; either this means something to you or its doesn't based on whether you read the other three...

Ifurita
19-07-2005, 04:03

Ender's Game

Really liked the three Battletech trilogies by Michael Stackpole

3. General Fiction

The Enemy Within by Larry Bond. Great modern day terrorism-in-America fiction that is extremely relevent in today's time

4. Non Fiction
Do Gooders by Mona Charon (good examination of the liberal left)
Winning with Integrity (book on negotiations, written by a top end sports agent)
Tuesdays with Morrie
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Kohhna
23-07-2005, 11:53

Which brings me to Use of Weapons, which I am reading now, and I'm halfway through.
First things first, Iain M. Banks' abilities as an author are unquestionable as I found out during Consider Phlebas.
But the way Use of Weapons is presented breaks my concentration. The flow of the main story is constantly interrupted by the chapters of characterbuilding of Zakalwe; although there must be some significance to these parts, I really couldn't care less at this point. Oh well. :(
I found the way it was structured made me tear through it very quickly to get to the next bit. Definately worth a re-read after a few months. Don't worry though, you are in the hands of a master, you'll see where this is going.

Frodo34x
23-07-2005, 13:13
A general question to the book club:

What is your favorite book in the Eisenhorn Trilogy? For me it would have to be Xenos.

The Dragon Reborn
23-07-2005, 17:14

Its a toss up between Enders game, orson scott card and

dune, frank herbert

sword of shanara seiris, terry brooks

3. General Fiction

its kina weird i just finshed so native son, by Richard wright

4. Non Fiction

the rise and fall of the third Reich, William L. Shirer

never touched one

kermit
24-07-2005, 01:51
1. Science Fiction - The White Plague - Frank Herbert
(Well pretty much anything by him I have found to be good)

2. Fantasy - Shannara Series - Terry Brooks
(Well the ones I read, they were good)

3. General Fiction - The Power of One - Bryce Courney

4. Non Fiction - Haven't read much of these since University...

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - I have the rule books... codexes...

Witch Hunter
24-07-2005, 05:23
1. Science Fiction - Toss up between Asimov's Foundation series and Ender's Game by Card

2. Fantasy - Another tough one. Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis and Hickman, or Howard's Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

3. General Fiction - Dante's Inferno

4. Non Fiction - The Prince by Machiavelli

5. Games Workshop/Black Library - Caves of Ice

Firebreath
25-07-2005, 16:05
A general question to the book club:

What is your favorite book in the Eisenhorn Trilogy? For me it would have to be Xenos.
Hmm, difficult to say. All three have much going for them, and it ain't easy picking a favorite. Could you explain why Xenos is your particular favorite?

I found the way it was structured made me tear through it very quickly to get to the next bit. Definately worth a re-read after a few months. Don't worry though, you are in the hands of a master, you'll see where this is going.
Having finished it just recently, there was certainly a surprise at the end. :)
Although I'll probably have to re-read it to put it all in perspective, because it still feels a bit hazy. Good show, nonetheless.

Frodo34x
28-07-2005, 10:53
I prefer Xenos for the same reasons I liked the first half of the game Deus Ex better. That is, I prefer the hero to be on the side of the good guys, not like in the other books where he slowly spirals into heresy. Also, Malleus was my favorite for a while, and I've read it more times than I care to remember. However, the other day I re-read Xenos, and there were many great moments I had forgotten about.

I also prefer the way Xenos shows Space Marines; they seem almost unkillable.

Firebreath
09-08-2005, 14:14
* bumps * :eyebrows:

Let's discuss books, dammit!

Myself, I've been on a reading rampage the last two weeks.

First, The Traitor's Hand by Sandy Mitchell.
Good third installment of the Ciaphas Cain-saga, thankfully not quite along the same lines as the previous two, but not full of surprises either. Also, Mitchell noticably mistakes a he for a she at one time. I just had to grab a pencil and correct it! Still, good effort, and still amongst the best BL has to offer. If I'd rate it, I'd give it a 7.5.

I went through Market Forces by Richard Morgan even faster.
A very grim tale set in a not too distant future. Corruption, greed and road-raging "zek-tiv". All very convincing, as is the explanation how the motorway duelling came about. Great characters, every single one of them. Morgan's writing style is furious and to the point and all the while I was thinking: "This can easily be adapted into a movie and I would go see it."
The small jab at Altered Carbon near the end is funny. It all seemed very far-fetched, indeed. :D
Easily worth a 9.5.

Next up is a huge pile of paper, called Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Eleven-hundred plus pages in small print. This might take a while.

After that, it should be Olympos by Dan Simmons.

And after that, my stack of unread books will be empty for the first time in years...

Not for long, I'm sure. :angel:

hairyman
09-08-2005, 16:59
Next up is a huge pile of paper, called Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Eleven-hundred plus pages in small print. This might take a while.

That's a good read, worth the effort.

My recent reading has been sidetrackeed by the purchase of the WFB rulebook, but I have to say I've found myself recently pretty disenchanted by most of what I've picked up. I'm now at the point where if I read something, it's most likely to be a graphic novel... considering going back and re-reading some old favourites to get me going again.

I think, finally, I have also lost the ability to plough through cheesy sci-fi and fantasy novels :( . I've had countless hours of pleasure from the genres, but just can't do it anymore......

kiev33
09-08-2005, 20:31

Semper Mars by Ian Douglas and the sequals

Ill Met In Llankhmar by Fritz Lieber

3. General Fiction

The detective stories of Dashiel Hammett

4. Non Fiction

Hitler and Stalin: A Dual Biography by Bullock

The Cain Novels and the Gaunt's Ghosts series

Firebreath
10-08-2005, 14:06
That's a good read, worth the effort.
I think, finally, I have also lost the ability to plough through cheesy sci-fi and fantasy novels :( . I've had countless hours of pleasure from the genres, but just can't do it anymore......
That's why I take the "hard" stuff every once in a while (well, mostly). Puts it all in perspective. ;)

hairyman
10-08-2005, 15:15
Yeah, currently eyeing up a few of my favourite all time authors and thinking of giving them a thorough re-reading. Zola, Hesse, Lawrence Durrell, Dostoyevsky, Mervyn Peake, Marquez etc etc. Also thinking about dipping back into Jack Vance, though, in an effort to rediscover my liking for cheesy fantasy....

Jericho
13-08-2005, 22:01

Dune by Frank Herbert (pretty much only read this and a couple Star Wars books over the years)

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein (although I must admit I haven't read a wide variety of Fantasy books at all either)

3. General Fiction

Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel Cervantes (or does this count as Fantasy?)
This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

4. Non Fiction

The NIV Bible
If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

Sabbat Martyr or Honor Guard by Dan Abnett

Honorable mention goes to anything else Abnett, Sandy Mitchell's For the Emperor (way better than the sequels), and Alex Hammond's short stories about Knife Edge Liz were pretty great too.

I really would love to read more Petrarch, coming across some of his writings in firstyear Comparative Literature class (it begain with the Ascent of Mount Ventoux) has really influenced my walk as a Christian. I was (and arguably still am) dealing with some of the same issues that he was, and I just pray that things turn out differently for me, because when he kept slipping it tore him up for decades :D

Currently I'm reading The Man Called Cash by Steve Turner, first biography since Bruce Campbell's and it's quite good. I'm more interested in his faith and his legendary love for his wife June than the history of his career, but I'm taking a fair bit away from the text which is always the ultimate goal.

What am I most looking forward to reading next? Abnett's The Last Command this fall sounds cool, I really want to read more of Peretti's books, Bruce Campbell has another (fictionalized) biography out now, and for my spiritual studies I'll be tackling Proverbs or Revelations next, still praying a bit about which one will speak to me the most.

So what are we discussing next?

Firebreath
14-08-2005, 13:51
So what are we discussing next?

Good question! This thing needs to get back on the road, but I'm not the one making decisions, so let's hear it!

From my personal point of view I think it would be good to kick of with a relatively recent Black Library novel.
I was thinking Double Eagle by Dan Abnett, just because I added it to my stack just last Friday.

Anybody up for it? Or maybe something else altogether?

Baggers
14-08-2005, 17:02
Yeah Double Eagel sounds good wont be able to get hold of a copy till wednesda,y which gives me time to finsh my current book.

Wintermute
14-08-2005, 18:17
Good question! This thing needs to get back on the road, but I'm not the one making decisions, so let's hear it!

From my personal point of view I think it would be good to kick of with a relatively recent Black Library novel.
I was thinking Double Eagle by Dan Abnett, just because I added it to my stack just last Friday.

Anybody up for it? Or maybe something else altogether?

Greeting Fellow Librarians,

Yes someone as finally woken me up.

I'm quite happy to nominate Double Eagle (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=426) as the first book to be discussed by the Warseer Book Club. I would have mentioned it earlier, but was waiting for the book to become more generally available in its paperback edition.

The first session for this book will open on Saturday 27th August when we will discuss Chapters Day 252 - Day 255 ie pages 11-115. Hopefully members will have a copy of the book by then.

SmashemTaBitsa
15-08-2005, 05:49
This sounds like an awesome idea! Hope I'm not too late to sign up.

Sci-Fi: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Fantasy: Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling (Don't even say anything)

General Fic: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Non-Fic: The Case for Mars by Robert Zubrin and Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (tie)

Black Library: Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett

Ooh, I'm so excited!

Firebreath
16-08-2005, 16:20
@ Smashem: it's never too late. :)

I don't think I'll finish Cryptonomicon before the 27th of August, but I'll put it aside for the time-being, if needs be.
I'm somewhere around page 150 (it feels like it already should be 300) and it has yet to grab my interest, I'm afraid.

Wintermute
16-08-2005, 16:51
I don't think I'll finish Cryptonomicon before the 27th of August, but I'll put it aside for the time-being, if needs be.
I'm somewhere around page 150 (it feels like it already should be 300) and it has yet to grab my interest, I'm afraid.

We could always make Cryptonomicon our next non-BL book ;)

Gethalorre
16-08-2005, 16:55
hiya guys, I'm new to the book club...

1 - Sci-Fi: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

2 - Fantasy: Hogfather - Terry Pratchett

3 - General: The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks (This is completely psycho.. :evilgrin: )

4 - Non-fiction: Ummm... The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks :confused:

5 - GW/BL: The big first three gaunts ghosts hardback book - Dan Abnett :p

Firebreath
16-08-2005, 18:17
We could always make Cryptonomicon our next non-BL book ;)
Well, let's see. A hundred pages per week, eleven weeks... It could work. ;)

Which reminds me: maybe we should indeed start a nominating process for the book after Double Eagle? You know, being able to order a book if it's not readily available in the shops?

Wintermute
27-08-2005, 18:43

I would have posted a few hour ago, but I've my net access has only just been restored after being down since yesterday afternoon.

The first session for Double Eagle (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=426) discussing Chapters Day 252 - Day 255 ie pages 11-115. is now open.

Who wants to open the discussion and begin tearing apart this latest example of Dan Abnett's ignorance of 40k Fluff (again)?

Firebreath
28-08-2005, 10:51
That would be me then (the first, that is).

Luckily, I'm totally ignorant of Dan Abnett's ignorance of 40K fluff, so I leave that to someone who knows. :p

Having temporarely switched from Cryptonomicon to this, I had trouble adjusting to the pace at which Double Eagle is written. Abnett introduces a crapload of characters, and sometimes I'm wondering: "Who's this again? ... Oh, yeah..."

Apart from that, I figure it's the typical Dan Abnett-style of things. Fast and furious, action packed and generally well written with some interesting characters.

I just hope it isn't becoming a trend with SF (or Sci-Fi) authors to change the viewpoint at every goddamn opportunity, because I find it distracting and at some points not entirely relevant.

Now, somebody fill me in about the ignoring of 40K fluff. :angel:

Firebreath
06-10-2005, 12:47
So I thought I'd sit down and write a review of sorts about Dan Simmons' Olympos.

The man is quite clearly insane. :D

Yet I can't help worshipping this man's entire SF-efforts (the Hyperion-cantos and Ilium, please tell me if there are any more) and this most recent output, which I worship like a religious person would worship the bible or the koran (sp?).

The intricate plotline, the (often outlandish or just plain bizarre) events and people and... things...
It is deep, and possibly too deep for my poor brain to comprehend fully, but by Zeus (sic) what a rollercoaster ride!

It even had me in stitches in places, especially when things are turning against Zeus.
Just some quotes I found inexplainably funny:

"Ai! Ai!" cries Zeus, staring at his empty right hand as if it has disobeyed him. "The elements obey me not!"
And, later on:

"Fight," said Achilles. "You old pig********."
If you don't understand what I'm rambling about, just go read it, and be prepared to be stunned, flabbergasted, gobsmacked. :p

It was a great man who once said: "Perfect does not exist." (And I think I quoted him). ;)
Yet this one comes so very close! Of course, you'd need to read Ilium to appreciate this one, but once you do, you'll realize you've found Nirvana.

9.99 out of 10.

Oh, before I forget. Before Olympos I had this run-in with a thing called Cryptonomicon.

I don't know why I found this in the SF/Fantasy section of the bookstore, because there isn't much SF in there.
Apart from some extremely boring chapters (In My Very Humble Opinion) it was a interesting read, but not entirely my cup of tea, and just plain too long.
I think my brother (who is a WW2 freak of sorts) could get more from it than I did.

7.0 out of 10.

Which left me with an empty bookstack. But only for a very short time.

Awaiting me now are Iain M. Banks' Player of Games, Richard Morgan's Woken Furies and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials-box.

Any suggestions as to what to read next? I'm leaning towards Woken Furies and saving Player of Games for a thorough discussion in the Book Club.

If anyone still cares, that is. :skull:

Edit: Thanks to Sylass for getting the thread renamed.

SmashemTaBitsa
06-10-2005, 16:14
If you haven't yet, hit up some of Robert Heinlein. His stuff is really amazing. Also, I have to suggest Orson Scott Card. He is most definately my favorite author.

PS-its been over a month. Are we gonna start another book soon?

hairyman
06-10-2005, 17:03
Does this thread just organise discussion of sci-fi and fantasy books, or are the librarians (?) open to non 40k/sci-fi suggestions?

C. Langana
06-10-2005, 17:39
I'd like to suggest a book: Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land.'
I think warseer would certainly find it interesting, this has nothing to do with me wanting to re-read it.

Wintermute
06-10-2005, 18:58

First of all I wish to thank Firebreath for getting Sylas to rename the thread (something he had suggested I should do - sorry for not doing so). Also thanks for your review of Olympios - its on my list of books to buy.

Hairyman yes we do read non-SF/40K/WFB novels. Previous genres for the WBC have included horror and even a piece of 'literature' from Umberto Eco (I still shudder the memory of that dreadful novel).

We have already read a Heinlein novel, the classic Starship Troopers. Stranger in a Strange Land would be an excellent novel for us o discuss - but we must all have the same version (there are two different editions ;) ).

On Saturday I'll officially open nominations for the next WBC novel, which will be a non-BL book.

Between now and then I will try and post my thoughts on Double Eagle by Dan Abnett (not his best work).

BTW Firebreath - do not read Woken Furies by Richard Morgan next it will leave your head spinning

It features TWO Takeshi Kovacs running around Harlan's World at the same time :wtf:

Firebreath
07-10-2005, 16:31
BTW Firebreath - do not read Woken Furies by Richard Morgan next it will leave your head spinning

It features TWO Takeshi Kovacs running around Harlan's World at the same time :wtf:
After Olympos I'm not even sure my head stopped spinning. :D

@ hairyman: my personal interest lies with SF and a little bit of fantasy. However, I'm willing to give different genres a chance.
Like Wintermute said, we discussed a truly hideous novel by Eco on the late Portent, so it should be fairly easy to find a better one. Suggestions?

My suggestion was Player of Games, I'm open to Stranger in a strange land or anything else people can come up with.

Really, knock yourself out. ;)

hairyman
07-10-2005, 16:33
Which Umberto Eco novel? He's written some brilliant books....

Firebreath
07-10-2005, 16:38
Foucault's Pendulum, it was called.

I had some high hopes after seeing the movie "The name of the rose", but this one just went... nowhere. I'm sorry to say. :eyebrows:

C. Langana
07-10-2005, 16:50
Foucalt's Pendulum wasn't that bad, i'm not exactly going to leap to its defence, yes it rambled and didn't go anywhere, and may have been 200 pages too long but Umberto Eco's books are always like that. I'd stll call it interesting and informative.

hairyman
07-10-2005, 16:56
The Name of the Rose and Baudolino are both brilliant books, and a lot more accessable. Baudolino especially is a great read (it's his latest book, I think).

SmashemTaBitsa
07-10-2005, 19:17
I'd like to post a second to Stranger in a Strange Land. It is one of the best books I have ever read, and though I am not too keen on re-reading, I'm sure there is alot I missed on this one, and would also love to read it again. Other suggestions are:Orson Scott Card (I see alot of us have read Ender's Game, but what about other books of his? I have read alot of them (I have like 20 of them) but again would be willing to re-read, or read ones I haven't yet.), Phillip K. Dick (I've only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but the rest sound interesting and the only reason I haven't yet is I don't know whick to buy.) other Robert A. Heinlein books, Douglas Adams, maybe? I'm sure most of us have read Hitchhiker's Guide, but there's a few others. There's also some good SF Stephen King, and I enjoyed many of Anne McCaffery's novels. That's all I have as suggestions for now, but I'll be willing to try others as well.

hairyman
07-10-2005, 20:01
Ok, sticking with a fantastical theme I'd like to suggest Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake. One of the grandfathers of modern fantasy, and also one of my favourite ever books. His mastery of the english language is so far above modern pulp fantasy authors, and the atmosphere and character of the book beats most other authors hands down.

Titus Groan. Mervyn Peake.

Firebreath
08-10-2005, 12:42
Hm, is it a trilogy or something?

The website of my local page-dealer lists only this one: "THE GORMENGHAST NOVELS: TITUS GROAN / GORMENGHAST / TITUS AL ONE".

From what you say, it sounds promising. Like I said, I'm willing to try anything. :)

Wintermute
08-10-2005, 21:53

I meant to post earlier in the day, but I've been a little busy. Some of you may be able to work out why ;)

Ok my thoughts on Double Eagle by Dan Abnett
Its not one of Dan Abnett's better novels. Its an enjoyable read about an Imperial Guard fighter squadron who first appeared in a Gaunts Ghost novel.

My main gripe with the book is I wish BL editors would bother to read the Imperial Armour books produced by Forge World. In one chapter of the book Abnett describes an attack by Marauders. They are flying at about 400km per hour. I'm surprised they don't stall at that speed. The Marauder, according to IA1, is capable of supersonic speeds. I don't know of any current supersonic aircraft that would choose to fly as slow as 400km per hour (except when landing).

Score out of 10?

What score would you award Firebreath?

Our next book
Nominations are now [b]officially open for our next non-BL book.

So get nominating.

hairyman
09-10-2005, 11:39
Hm, is it a trilogy or something?

It is the first book in a trilogy, but it also easily stands up as a complete book in it's own right. The third one in the trilogy is very odd as well, as the author was going mad while he wrote it.

Anyway, consider Titus Groan officially nominated.

Firebreath
09-10-2005, 12:33
About Double Eagle: I'm agreeing with you, Wintermute (which, I've noticed, happens a lot ;) ).

Certainly not amongst Abnett's best, mainly because I feel it's lacking direction and focus.
Sure, stuff is happening and it's an 40K-interpretation of what happened during the early stages of WW2, but I feel there are just too many people and their stories in there.
I've read worse, though. I'll give it a 6.

It is the first book in a trilogy, but it also easily stands up as a complete book in it's own right. The third one in the trilogy is very odd as well, as the author was going mad while he wrote it.
Ah, okay. Well, not so okay for the author, I guess... I hope his descent into madness wasn't a permanent one?

As for nominations: I stand by Player of Games, mainly because I have it already and it's supposed to be good.

Wintermute
09-10-2005, 12:46
Greeting Fellow Librarians

With three Librarians posting scores Double Eagle by Dan Abnett gets a WBC rating of 6 out of 10

On the subject of Mervyn Peake (http://www.mervynpeake.org/) he suffered from Parkinson's Disease in his later years.

Some of you may be interested to read this interview with Dan Simmons (http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue435/interview.html) author of Olympos

Keep those nominations coming in.

marv335
09-10-2005, 12:57
blast, i meant to post a few thoughts on this book.
bit late but i will anyway.
there is a lot of technical jargon in the book, much of it poorly explained, some of it plain wrong. "viffing" for example he doesn't really explain what it is but refers to it constantly in dogfight scenes. (it stands for Vectoring In Forward Flight btw) and he seems to have a limited understanding of g-forces as applied to aircrew.
still, it wa an entertaining read and i would have (if i'd been in time) given it a 6.5.

as to the next non bl book, i vote for "island in the sea of time" by s.m. stirling

Wintermute
09-10-2005, 13:15
Marv335 I know what you mean about the jargon - especially Dan Abnett's understanding of g-forces and specifically negative g.

I also suspect he got his ideas of how ejection seats work from watching Top Gun :rolleyes:

marv335
10-10-2005, 20:31
at least he didn't get the ejection seats from die hard 2! (bruce willis pulls the seat raising/lowering handle to eject from a hercules transport aircraft. an aircraft type not fitted with ejection seats.)

Firebreath
10-10-2005, 22:09
Marv335 I know what you mean about the jargon - especially Dan Abnett's understanding of g-forces and specifically negative g.

I also suspect he got his ideas of how ejection seats work from watching Top Gun :rolleyes:
Now you mention it, I found the bits where the negative g-forces were involved a bit odd. Compared to the Eisenhorn- and Ravenor-books this one was definately the worst Abnett has put out. Shame really.

On the subject of BL-novels: I have yet to lay my hands on Traitor General(paperback, that is) but does anyone have any ideas what I could read beyond that? Most of the latest offerings seem to lack appeal to even try them. Or maybe I'm just ill-informed at the moment...

Wintermute
10-10-2005, 22:29
Now you mention it, I found the bits where the negative g-forces were involved a bit odd. Compared to the Eisenhorn- and Ravenor-books this one was definately the worst Abnett has put out. Shame really.

On the subject of BL-novels: I have yet to lay my hands on Traitor General(paperback, that is) but does anyone have any ideas what I could read beyond that? Most of the latest offerings seem to lack appeal to even try them. Or maybe I'm just ill-informed at the moment...

I recently acquired the Eisenhorn Trilogy and thought the first two books were very good.

Traitor General and His Last Comand are superb novels

I'll have a think about other BL books and get back to you.

Wintermute

Great Harlequin
11-10-2005, 10:03
My, it's been a while since I posted here...

It's great to be back!

I'd like to nominate War against the Chtorr. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553277820/002-3517424-3506445?v=glance)

From what I've heard it's a great start to a really thrilling series. Apparently it gave GW a lot of the inspiration they needed to come up with the Tyranid range.

All the very bestest,

Firebreath
11-10-2005, 22:13
I've been checking some other threads here and there and the only BL-novel that stands out so far is Angels of Darkness, i.e. most people speak highly of it, although it seems to be somewhat... controversial?

@ Great Harlequin: welcome back and about time too! ;) :D

Wintermute
11-10-2005, 22:28
I've been checking some other threads here and there and the only BL-novel that stands out so far is Angels of Darkness, i.e. most people speak highly of it, although it seems to be somewhat... controversial?

Remember the fate that befell a certain Umberto Eco book after we read it?

Angels of Darkness would be the next book on the pyre :evilgrin:

C. Langana
12-10-2005, 00:02
Yknow lads, for a literary community we sure do burn a lot of books...
When do nominations open WM? EDIT: I really must remember to read you sig, so now then.

By the by I'm just taking on Don Quixote, I have to say I love this giant brick of a rambling masterpiece, any thoughts?

Firebreath
12-10-2005, 10:28
Remember the fate that befell a certain Umberto Eco book after we read it?

Angels of Darkness would be the next book on the pyre :evilgrin:
Whoops! :eek:

Yknow lads, for a literary community we sure do burn a lot of books...
Only one, so far. Officially, that is. :angel:

[rant ensues] (and don't take this personal if you are a literary person)
Also, I don't consider myself a reader of literature. In my very humble opinion literature equals a load of pretentious rambling nonsense with no interest in actually telling a engaging story.
Literary critics appear to have a snobbish attitude about the books I happen to like, which makes me denounce them "blasphemers and traffickers with abominations, declaring them Extremis Diabolus." (quoted from Codex Daemonhunters, in case you're wondering)
[rant ends]

About Don Quixote: I know this is about a rather insane person attacking windmills. To me, this is a blasphemy in itself, because my last name ("Vermeulen") has something to do with windmills. ;)

Seriously: no, I haven't read it, so I couldn't begin to comment on it.

Badgobbla
12-10-2005, 12:28
Hello again,

for what seems an eternity I've been waiting for this thread to get back on tracks.

Good to see that everyone is still reading.

I want to nominate Consider Phlebas (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1857231384/qid=1129116921/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8673654-5787903?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Iain M. Banks

C. Langana
12-10-2005, 16:25
[rant ensues] ...
...[rant ends]
I always thought it just meant good books, but it seems we're both right, it does, and it also means we should start hunting down critics. (wow, book burnings, purges and the malleus maleficum - we'll be making the Warseer Inquisiton jealous :P )

I'd advise getting ahold of Don Quixote, it may take a while to read (I keep coming back to it every month or two) but it says an awful lot about what it means to be a man.

Badgobbla: ooh Consider Phlebas, I'm going to read that right now, I havent read that in years. Cheers.

SmashemTaBitsa
12-10-2005, 19:27
So when do nominations end?

BTW, I'd like to formally nominate either 'The Cat Who Walks Through Walls' or 'To Sail Beyond the Sunset' by Robert Heinlein, because I have them and haven't read them yet, and Heinlein is an amazing author.

Wintermute
12-10-2005, 19:27
(wow, book burnings, purges and the malleus maleficum - we'll be making the Warseer Inquisiton jealous :P )

I very much doubt if you'll make me jealous ;)

So when do nominations end?

BTW, I'd like to formally nominate either 'The Cat Who Walks Through Walls' or 'To Sail Beyond the Sunset' by Robert Heinlein, because I have them and haven't read them yet, and Heinlein is an amazing author.

Nominations will close on Saturday 22nd October.

BTW one nomination per member please, so please choose one of the two Heinlein novels you have listed (they are both good novels).

SmashemTaBitsa
13-10-2005, 03:20
have to make it tough, eh? I'll go with 'To Sail...' since I'll probably have finished 'The Cat...' by Saturday.

Badgobbla
13-10-2005, 07:13
Also, guys? Couldn't we nominate a few books at once, because I have to order these through Amazon and I don't want to order them 1 book at a time (then the low prices of Amazon wouldn't outweigh the shipping costs).

Firebreath
13-10-2005, 11:33
That's what I was hinting at earlier, by asking if there are any decent BL-novels left.
Availability of said items can be pretty horrendous.

All other (non-BL) books I could acquire within three weeks maximum, but then again, I don't have to order them from the UK.
So maybe it would be good to do some planning. It might even attract more readers.

Badgobbla
13-10-2005, 11:39
Where do you order from, if I may be so bold to ask?

I order from Amazon.fr, the books cost the same as Amazon.com, but shipping costs are lower.

As I said on Portent earlier: I won't be reading anymore BL-novels as I feel they're not my cup of tea.

Firebreath
13-10-2005, 11:48
Dekker v.d Vegt in Nijmegen.

I order them over the 'net and get an email when they arrive. Then I go pick 'em up (about 15 minutes away by car).
But they also send by mail.

link: www.dekker.nl

fredmundo
13-10-2005, 12:27
Hey guys I don't know if I'll have time to keep up with you club (mild dylexia, so I've really only just managed to get back into reading book recently) but I'll give it a bash!
I'd heartily reccomend Snow crash by Neal Stephenson if you fancy a little cyber punky read! But then again I wouldn't be surprised if you've covered it already..

Badgobbla
13-10-2005, 13:10
But they also send by mail.

They don't send to Belgium. :(

Wintermute
13-10-2005, 18:43
That's what I was hinting at earlier, by asking if there are any decent BL-novels left.
Availability of said items can be pretty horrendous.

All other (non-BL) books I could acquire within three weeks maximum, but then again, I don't have to order them from the UK.
So maybe it would be good to do some planning. It might even attract more readers.

So you want me to select the next BL Book we are going to study without going through the nomination process?:p

I can recommend Storm of Iron (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=159) by Graham McNeill if that helps.

SmashemTaBitsa
13-10-2005, 19:09
Does that mean we can nominate 1 BL and 1 non book then? If so, I pick Farseer (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=150). Or was that one read already? My brother read that one and said it was good, I never got around to. (PS-my brother doesn't read very often, and almost never actually finishes a book. If he read the whole thing, it really is good!)

C. Langana
13-10-2005, 19:26
How about the first of Ian Watsons Inquisition war trilogy - nattily titled 'Inquisitor' - a good read apparently and contentiously enough, has Squats...

Wintermute
13-10-2005, 20:09
How about the first of Ian Watsons Inquisition war trilogy - nattily titled 'Inquisitor' - a good read apparently and contentiously enough, has Squats...

The first book of the trilogy was renamed Draco (http://www.blacklibrary.com/ianwatson/draco1.htm) and given a new introduction when it republished by the BL a few years ago.

Oh, it was also one of the books studied by The Portent Book Club.

Badgobbla
13-10-2005, 20:46
Wintermute,

What do you think about voting for a couple of books at a time? It's just because otherwise I'm always running behind while waiting for Amazon to deliver them and then I could order all those books at the same time, which would drastically lower my shipping costs?

Wintermute
13-10-2005, 21:01
Wintermute,

What do you think about voting for a couple of books at a time? It's just because otherwise I'm always running behind while waiting for Amazon to deliver them and then I could order all those books at the same time, which would drastically lower my shipping costs?

I'll think about it and give you my answer on Saturday during my weekly round-up.

Firebreath
13-10-2005, 22:19
Many replies to make...

I'd heartily reccomend Snow crash by Neal Stephenson if you fancy a little cyber punky read! But then again I wouldn't be surprised if you've covered it already..
We were going to discuss that one when Portent went down. I suppose we still could do that one.

They don't send to Belgium. :(
Bugger. But I had a brilliant idea. link: www.abc.nl (http://www.abc.nl)
It takes you to the site of the American Book Centre. And they're located in Amsterdam, Den Haag and... Leuven! Might be worth a try.

So you want me to select the next BL Book we are going to study without going through the nomination process?:p

I can recommend Storm of Iron (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=159) by Graham McNeill if that helps.
Me? No way! :p

I got Storm of Iron, so the availability of that one wouldn't be an issue.
What I really mean is, that I already have read a couple of books which were never discussed, and I just forgot about them.
Storm of Iron, Daemon World and the Eisenhorn-trilogy spring to mind. I'd just have to re-read them, that's all.

Wintermute
13-10-2005, 22:32
Likewise with the Eisenhorn Trilogy, Traitor General and His Last Command

and Woken Furies by Richard Morgan

plus a number (9?) of Doctor Who novels

Wintermute
15-10-2005, 20:24

Lets start by sumarising the nominations for our next non-BL book. All the following books have received one nomination:

The Player of Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857231465/qid=1129402483/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Iain M Banks
Titus Groan (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0099284383/qid=1129402621/br=3-2/br_lfncs_b_2/026-7550911-4080469) by Mervyn Peake
War against the Chtorr. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553277820/002-3517424-3506445?v=glance) by David Gerrold
Consider Phlebas (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1857231384/qid=1129116921/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8673654-5787903?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Iain M Banks
To Sail Beyond the Sunset (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747400814/qid=1129403156/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Robert A Heinein
Snow Crash (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140232923/qid=1129403272/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Neal Stephenson
Islands in the Sea of Time (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451456750/qid=1129409409/br=3-24/br_lfncs_b_24/026-7550911-4080469) by S M Stirling

Except this one which has two nominations:

Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Robert A Heinlein

As I've previously posted, nominations close next Saturday 22nd October.

Now regarding nominating our next BL book.

Keep things simple I'm going to select our next BL book for us.

We will read Storm of Iron (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=159) by Graham McNeill.

When we start the first session of our next non-BL book, I will open nominations for our next BL book (to read after Storm of Iron) AND our next Non-BL book. From then onwards we will nominate a BL and non-BL book simultaneously.

Comments on this will be welcome.

Now a question.

How many of you are aware of the plan to create a Warseer Space Marine Chapter?

One idea is for the different Warseer Communiites (eg The WBC) to band together to donate an entire SM Squad. How mnay WBC members would be interested and able to contribute a SM to the WBC squad?

Please let me know by posting in this thread.

More information about the project can be found in The Battle Barge (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50) sub-forum.

Thats all for now.

Wintermute

Firebreath
15-10-2005, 20:35
When we start the first session of our next non-BL book, I will open nominations for our next BL book (to read after Storm of Iron) AND our next Non-BL book. From then onwards we will nominate a BL and non-BL book simultaneously.

Comments on this will be welcome.
I am perfectly okay with this. :)

about The Battlebarge: I've already signed up, and I'd be very interested to contribute a SM to the WBC squad.
Preferably with a flamer, but I'm cool with bolters too.
I can't promise it will look absolutely fantastic (because it will not ;) ) but I'll surely try my best.

marv335
15-10-2005, 21:24
hmph, missed out my nomination. (island in the sea of time by s.m. stirling)
however, if those are the selections, i'll vote for snow crash as it's a great book.

Wintermute
15-10-2005, 21:38
hmph, missed out my nomination. (island in the sea of time by s.m. stirling)
however, if those are the selections, i'll vote for snow crash as it's a great book.

Sorry I will add your nomination to the list.

SmashemTaBitsa
16-10-2005, 04:49
One idea is for the different Warseer Communiites (eg The WBC) to band together to donate an entire SM Squad. How mnay WBC members would be interested and able to contribute a SM to the WBC squad?

Please let me know by posting in this thread.

More information about the project can be found in The Battle Barge (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50) sub-forum.

Thats all for now.

Wintermute

Does that mean that we would donate one to the regular barge, and one for the book club? Or would this one override the overall one? I'd be glad to do it for this club either way, just need to know how many marines to get. Also, has it been decided in there yet as to what will distinguish the groups from the general? I can't wait to get working on this Battle Barge marine!

C. Langana
16-10-2005, 05:25
I believe the book club should donate the chapters cadre of librarians? or at least one called Wintermute...
Anyway, 'Storm of Iron' excellent choice, but I want to re-read it now...

Badgobbla
16-10-2005, 08:01

Great, thanks. This should make it possible to order the two books at once, and like that I can stay in the WBC without having to wait for an order.

But I had a brilliant idea. link: www.abc.nl
It takes you to the site of the American Book Centre. And they're located in Amsterdam, Den Haag and... Leuven! Might be worth a try.

Excellent! I'll check it out right now, thanks for the info.

I've already accepted to do a model for the Wastes AND a Renegade model, but I certainly don't mind making another model for the WBC.

Slappy
16-10-2005, 08:09
I'm reading The Fountainhead right now.

The main character reminds me of myself. He is also skinny with red hair, just like me. I love this book.

Wintermute
16-10-2005, 14:46
Does that mean that we would donate one to the regular barge, and one for the book club? Or would this one override the overall one? I'd be glad to do it for this club either way, just need to know how many marines to get. Also, has it been decided in there yet as to what will distinguish the groups from the general? I can't wait to get working on this Battle Barge marine!

You can donate more than one marine if you wish eg one marine for general donation and one marine for the WBC Squad.

I believe the book club should donate the chapters of librarians

The HQ choices eg commanders, chaplains, librarians and techmarines [yes I know techmarines are Elites now] will be reserved for the Admins, Mods and Techpriests.

or at least one called Wintermute...

You are not the first person to suggest this ;)

We need to be able to donate at least a 5 man combat squad, otherwise its not worth doing.

Great Harlequin
16-10-2005, 20:19
I'd certainly be up for it. :)

There would be many varying conversion options we could choose from even if we are barred from taking Librarians and so on.

Shall we have our own symbol on the shoulder pads?

And I must say I can't wait to read Storm of Iron again. I thoroughly enjoyed it the last time from what I remember and it definately sticks out, for me at least, to be one of the better novels done by the Black Library.

All the very bestest,

Wintermute
16-10-2005, 20:44
I'd certainly be up for it. :)

There would be many varying conversion options we could choose from even if we are barred from taking Librarians and so on.

Shall we have our own symbol on the shoulder pads?

And I must say I can't wait to read Storm of Iron again. I thoroughly enjoyed it the last time from what I remember and it definately sticks out, for me at least, to be one of the better novels done by the Black Library.

All the very bestest,

I'm afraid you will not be allowed to donate Librarians - the reasons behind this have been outlined in The Battle Barge and will also shortly appear in a FAQ thread.

Nor will the WBC have its own symbol on its shoulder pads.

So far the following WBC members have said they will contribute a Marine to the WBC Marine Squad

Firebreath
SmashemTaBitsa
Badgobbla
Great Harlequin

Have I missed anyone out?

We need at least five marines. I will contribute another Marine if necessasry to make up the numbers if required.

[I've already planning to make at least two contributions in addition to this squad - BTW it should be a little obvious what one of my contributions will be ;) ]

C. Langana
16-10-2005, 21:13
I'll contribute once I've had a good read of the FAQ (so count me as a possible).

Firebreath
17-10-2005, 16:05
You can donate more than one marine if you wish eg one marine for general donation and one marine for the WBC Squad.
I'll stick with just one marine for the WBC Squad, if that's not a problem.
Modelling won't be much of a problem but I will be stretching my painting (dis)abilities to the breaking point. ;)

Wintermute
20-10-2005, 19:45
Quick update on the WBC sqaud idea

Members can only contribute a marine to one group squad.

Which means Badgobbla you MUST choose which group you are contributing to.

At the moment it isn't looking as though the WBC will not have enough members to create a WBC squad.

Great Harlequin
21-10-2005, 17:11
Well, I'll forsake my wastoid entry in the interest of getting a WBC squad up.

All the very bestest,

robertsjf
22-10-2005, 00:12
I'm reading The Fountainhead right now.

I'm sorry to hear that Slappy. I hope you get better.

As for Non BL I'm for Heinlein's Stranger, too. Should be easy to get a copy from the old Opera House.

marv335
22-10-2005, 00:25
anyone read any of tad williams otherworld books?
i just picked up vol 2-4 in a charity bookshop for £2
are they any good?
i'm going to pick up vol 1 at the weekend for completeness but are they worth a read?

hairyman
22-10-2005, 10:18
I've read the first one. I thought it was innovative and full of brilliant ideas, and it'll appeal to roleplayers (you'll know what I mean when you read it ;)) , but I didn't enjoy it as much as his fantasy series... I din't think it was as well written and I didn't think it had the same brooding atmosphere and creepy characters.

Worth a go, though.

Firebreath
22-10-2005, 17:30
I'm sorry to hear that Slappy. I hope you get better.
LOL. :D It's been a looong time, robertsjf. Wazzup? :)

@ hairyman: are you in on The Battlebarge-thing? And if so, would you want to join the WBC-squad? We need at least one other person for this to work.

robertsjf
22-10-2005, 18:02
It's been a looong time, robertsjf. Wazzup?

Not a whole lot. Work, mostly. That and my crazy Space Hulk project where I swap out all my old minis for the new minis and try to collect enough floor panels to play the big campaigns like Necromunda and Sentinel VI. I'm glad we're going to be rereading Storm of Iron 'cause I kind of missed it the 1st time....

Bran Dawri
22-10-2005, 19:19
A book club for warhammer players? What an interesting idea.
I'll sign up first, then see what happens. That's assuming the club isn't full, of course.

Let's see, what was it again:

Science fiction: Footfall by Niven/Pournelle*

Fantasy: The Sandman's out, obviously, so that'd make it A song of Earth and Power, by Greg Bear.*

General Fiction: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If you think this falls under fantasy, I won't argue too hard, and this becomes my favorite fantasy.

Nonfiction: Kipling, collected poems. Or Tennyson, Selected poems. Toss a coin for that one.

GW/BL: Angels of Darkness, by Gav Thorpe.

*Note: this was pretty much an arbitrary choice. I have too many favorite fantasy/scifi novels to be able to really pick one and say: that's my favorite.

So, am I in?

As for Non BL I'm for Heinlein's Stranger, too. Should be easy to get a copy from the old Opera House

Heinlein's Stranger is nice, but I found it to be not all it's cracked up to be. First half is excellent scifi yarn, the second half is where Heinlein strands in his customary (for his later works anyway) "we're all happy little campers the way we're doing it here, and you should all join us."
His short stories are the best in the business though. "All you zombies" is sheer genius.

Wintermute
22-10-2005, 19:47

May I start my welcoming our newest member Bran Dawi - yes your in. But you very nearly blew it. You have an interesting choice of books. American God is officially considered a horror novel not fantasy. However this didn't prevent Gaiman from winning both the Hugo and Nebula awards for the novel.

Did you really have to mention Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe :cries: :wtf: . It really is a dreadful novel (sorry if your reading this Gav).

After collating the nominations for our next non-BL novel the winner is Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Robert A Heinlein

Will members please ensure they purchase the most recent edition of the novel which includes text not included when the novel was first published.

I know its off-topic but the nominations for The Warseers Chapter Colours and Badge will close at 12 noon British Summer Time (GMT+1 hour) on Sunday 23rd Ocotber ie tomorrow. If you haven't voted, please do so.

With regards to the WBC Warseer Space Marine Squad, will members who are going to contribute a marine please confirm their participation by sending me a pm. BTW you can only contribute one marine to one group. I can't contribute a marine to the WBC squad because I'm already part of the Admin/Mod group.

Back to books.

When do members wish to start discussing Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469)? Please let me know.

Regards,
Wintermute

Bran Dawri
22-10-2005, 21:32

May I start my welcoming our newest member Bran Dawi - yes your in. But you very nearly blew it. You have an interesting choice of books. American God is officially considered a horror novel not fantasy. However this didn't prevent Gaiman from winning both the Hugo and Nebula awards for the novel.

Did you really have to mention Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe :cries: :wtf: . It really is a dreadful novel (sorry if your reading this Gav).

Where did I almost blow it, then? On Gaiman? Just curious there.

A horror novel? The bookstore where I bought it put it under thrillers :wtf: . Now I'm completely stumped...
But that's Gaiman allright. Always coming in from an angle you don't expect.

And I didn't say Angels of Darkness was actually good :D . It's simply the BL novel that stuck in my memory the most, as it is a brave attempt at something more than just blood and guts and bolters. A failed attempt, but it nonetheless lifts it over the rest of BL in my mind.

Enough ranting. I talk too much. Online, anyway. On to re-reading Stranger. (That has been a while.)

Wintermute
22-10-2005, 21:43
Where did I almost blow it, then? On Gaiman? Just curious there.

A horror novel? The bookstore where I bought it put it under thrillers :wtf: . Now I'm completely stumped...
But that's Gaiman allright. Always coming in from an angle you don't expect.

And I didn't say Angels of Darkness was actually good :D . It's simply the BL novel that stuck in my memory the most, as it is a brave attempt at something more than just blood and guts and bolters. A failed attempt, but it nonetheless lifts it over the rest of BL in my mind.

Enough ranting. I talk too much. Online, anyway. On to re-reading Stranger. (That has been a while.)

You almost blew it with Angels Of Darkness

American Gods was one of the novels we studied back on dear old Portent. The novel was very well recieved by Book Club members, and so it should be - its a superb novel. BTW the follow-up to American Gods, Anansi Boys has recently been released in hard back

Bran Dawri
22-10-2005, 21:48
You almost blew it with Angels Of Darkness

BTW the follow-up to American Gods, Anansi Boys has recently been released in hard back

I know. I managed to lay my greedy, grubby hands on a 1st edition for a change :cool: .

Ah. Well, IMO, the BL is all cr*p with a capital C, so I picked the novel that sprung to my mind first.

robertsjf
22-10-2005, 22:45
Ah. Well, IMO, the BL is all cr*p with a capital C, so I picked the novel that sprung to my mind first.

But fun, entertaining crap set in a game universe almost every poster on this board is a fan of so they have a captive market...

hairyman
23-10-2005, 01:39
@ hairyman: are you in on The Battlebarge-thing? And if so, would you want to join the WBC-squad? We need at least one other person for this to work.

Nah, sort of lurking around the threads, but I'm not really fussed. If you'd seen my painting and modelling skills you'd understand why as well.... :o ;)

Cheers for the offer though. :)

I'll try and get hold of a copy of "Stranger...." this week... not actually joined in reading a book along with you lot yet. Heinlen's one I've never read, and it's been a while since picked up any sci-fi.

Wintermute
23-10-2005, 05:45
I know. I managed to lay my greedy, grubby hands on a 1st edition for a change :cool: .

Now all you need to do is get a signed copy.:D

There are some very good books produced by the BL.

Ok, most of those do not compare with the best SF and Fantasy novels produced by the rest of the publishing houses today, but they are worth reading.

If you want a list of the better BL books, just ask.

Nah, sort of lurking around the threads, but I'm not really fussed. If you'd seen my painting and modelling skills you'd understand why as well.... :o ;)

You skills (or lack of) are unimportant. Its the taking part which matters.

Firebreath
23-10-2005, 10:02
After collating the nominations for our next non-BL novel the winner is Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) by Robert A Heinlein

Will members please ensure they purchase the most recent edition of the novel which includes text not included when the novel was first published.
Okay, I'll send an order out today. I don't know when it arrives, but I'm guessing somewhere inbetween one and two weeks. I'm okay if the discussion starts next saturday or so.

EDIT: I'm looking at a UK edition 3/2005 (ISBN: 0340837950). I suppose this recent enough?

Cheers for the offer though. :)
Awww... :(
Well, you obviously haven't seen my painting and modelling "skills"!
Come to think of it, nobody on Warseer ever has. I posted a single picture of a squad of Assault Marines once on the original Painting Support Group on Portent and I think I had a single, polite comment about it... And nothing else.

Wintermute
23-10-2005, 12:31
The version of Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) we will be readin is the The Original Uncut edition was first published in hardback in the US 1990 and the UK the following year.

I have the UK hardback Edition.

C. Langana
23-10-2005, 13:39
Stranger in a strange land? I believe this calls for an all round 'Huzzah!'

Just curioius but do the librarians do poetry?
I've been thinking about a warseer poetry appreciation club. with nails in it.
Anyone interested?

Firebreath
23-10-2005, 13:46
Anyone interested?
Vogon poetry mayhaps? I'm not sure how to implement them nails. :D

Seriously (and personally, and brutally honest, I might add): Nah, poetry does not excite me.

Wintermute
23-10-2005, 15:14
Anyone interested?

Why not start your own Warseer Poetry Club and see who joins.

However, I second Firebreath's comment of "Nah"

Bran Dawri
23-10-2005, 21:41
Stranger in a strange land? I believe this calls for an all round 'Huzzah!'

Anyone interested?

Sure. Start up a thread, and I'll join.

SmashemTaBitsa
24-10-2005, 15:49
I'd join a warseer poetry thingy.

About that uncut edition thing, I have this version (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0441790348/002-8935483-0636822?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance). Is that gonna set me back or anything? I really can't afford to go buying more than one of the same book:). Maybe I can just comment on the cut edition, or just sit this one out. I would imagine they're not really all that different, right?

Firebreath
24-10-2005, 15:56
When looking at "product details" it says it was published in 1995. So you'd be in the clear.

Edit: judging from Wintermute's post it's not. Dammit.

SmashemTaBitsa
24-10-2005, 16:00
Sweet. I have to have at least ten characters to post. :(

Wintermute
24-10-2005, 18:43
Bad news

The edition you have is the original version.

As to the differences between that edition and the later one? It's been a long time, 14 years, since I read either version ie I've forgotten:eek:

Bran Dawri
24-10-2005, 22:34
Bummer. That's the same version I've got. Well, I was going to get the latest Pratchett paperback anyway...

marv335
24-10-2005, 22:38
my copy is at my parents place, i'll pick it up next week. i think it's the latest edition.

C. Langana
25-10-2005, 02:23
The difference between the editions is about a hundred or so pages IIRC.

robertsjf
25-10-2005, 03:03
Sweet Tapdancing Christ! I have the bad version, too. Guess we'll find out what's missing...

Badgobbla
25-10-2005, 09:13
Which means Badgobbla you MUST choose which group you are contributing to.

At the moment it isn't looking as though the WBC will not have enough members to create a WBC squad.

I'll be making a marine for the WBC-squad then. As there's more than enough guys wanting to be on the Wastoid-squads, I'll be happy to be part of something different. :)

But, if I'm correct we won't be having enough participating members for a full squad? Any other members want to donate a marine so we can make at least a five man squad?

As for the books we will be reading: I'm gonna give Storm of Iron a try (if my local hobby store carries it). For Stranger in a Strange Land I'm currently looking for another distributor than Amazon, as per the suggestion of Firebreath. But if they don't send out, I'll be going back to Amazon for my needs.

C. Langana
25-10-2005, 10:03
Sweet Tapdancing Christ! I have the bad version, too. Guess we'll find out what's missing...
You mean you don't know about the ferrets? Thats the best bit!

Anyway, Warseer now has a poetry society (soon to be followed by a chain quiz society).

Erestor
25-10-2005, 10:40
Wow, I have been missing out. It's been ages since I read a book. I'm off to grab stranger in a strange land, Wintermute, but I'm not sure I get the edition thing. Do I want a really old one, or a really new one, but not one from in the middle?

Oh, and I can chuck a marine in for the squad too. I'm doing one for the WPSG, so another is least I can do.

robertsjf
25-10-2005, 13:29
You mean you don't know about the ferrets? Thats the best bit!

Do I really want to read about what Heinlein has some Mars raised human do with Ferrets?

Firebreath
25-10-2005, 13:34
Do I really want to read about what Heinlein has some Mars raised human do with Ferrets?
Sure, it's fun. :D

Oh, and I can chuck a marine in for the squad too. I'm doing one for the WPSG, so another is least I can do.
I think it's intended to supply one marine per person. So, although appreciated, it would be impossible. :(

C. Langana
25-10-2005, 13:38
You don't want to but you will... :)
Just don't be too dissapointed if there aren't any ferrets. But that Llama...
Erestor: As far as I can tell you want as new an edition as possible, IIRC the extra 100 pages were only added fairly recently, well a bit after Heinlien died.
According to wikipedia anything after 1988 is good.
I got mine in Ottakars last week, so they're pretty available.

Wintermute
25-10-2005, 19:31
You don't want to but you will... :)
Just don't be too dissapointed if there aren't any ferrets. But that Llama...
Erestor: As far as I can tell you want as new an edition as possible, IIRC the extra 100 pages were only added fairly recently, well a bit after Heinlien died.
According to wikipedia anything after 1988 is good.
I got mine in Ottakars last week, so they're pretty available.

The addtional 100 pages were published in 1990, two years after Heinlein's death. The restored edition was overseen by his widow.

C. Langana
25-10-2005, 20:15
Once again it has been established irrefutably that Wintermute does indeed speak the truth.
I misread the article, blast. Thought I might have gotten one up on you there WM. Foiled again...

SmashemTaBitsa
25-10-2005, 21:06

I do! I have two ferrets! They are teh awesome! I'm seriously debating going out and buying the extended one. Anyone have their full version handy and can post an ISBN? It would help out alot when I have my local bookstore order a copy:D.

Wintermute
25-10-2005, 21:08
I do! I have two ferrets! They are teh awesome! I'm seriously debating going out and buying the extended one. Anyone have their full version handy and can post an ISBN? It would help out alot when I have my local bookstore order a copy:D.

ISBN: 0340837950

All you had to do was click on the link in my sig :p

SmashemTaBitsa
25-10-2005, 21:20
I didn't think of that:(. Thanks though!

robertsjf
25-10-2005, 21:28
ISBN: 0340837950

Ordered. In case it doesn't show up, is any of the special stuff in the front part?

Wintermute
25-10-2005, 21:56
Ordered. In case it doesn't show up, is any of the special stuff in the front part?

Can't remember.

As I posted earlier, I haven't read the book since 1991 :eek:

Sikkukkut
26-10-2005, 04:58
I have two ferrets! They are teh awesome! I'm seriously debating going out and buying the extended one.

An extended ferret? Genetic engineering creeps me out :(

SmashemTaBitsa
26-10-2005, 15:02
I guess I should be stingier with my pronouns:(. I meant the extended book, though a genetically lengthened ferret would be a pretty cool pet. Like a furry, warm-blooded snake with legs!

Sikkukkut
26-10-2005, 15:47
Hey, did you ever read Elidor by Alan Garner? There's this swarm of messed-up creatures that comes after the kids early on and one of them looks pretty much exactly like that except that it manages to walk on its hind legs, swaying back and forth and glaring down at them... I seem to recall doing my fair share of shivering at that. Like the spider/cat in The Princess and the Goblin. Yeesh.

Edit: Okay, this shows up as being edited by Wintermute but it looks exactly like what I thought I typed. What got changed? Just curious.

robertsjf
27-10-2005, 00:21
Just for the record, I love ferrets. Carpet sharks are fun! But Heinlein+Ferrets= something probably perverted. Unless they're ferrets in battle armor with v-racks and pee wee nukes.

SmashemTaBitsa
27-10-2005, 05:18
I got the extended version today (the book, NOT the ferret!). Fortunately my bookstore had one in stock and I was able to get it right away. I haven't noticed any major differences yet, though a few sentences/paragraphs seem a bit more descriptive than I remember. But that could just be bad memory.

Erestor
27-10-2005, 11:19
I got my copy today (yay), and it states on the back that it is an extended edition, with more words. I don't remember books being that expensive. This age thing.... I swear books should still cost $10.00 not $22.00.

When does the reading commence? Note that I am too lazy to read back a couple of pages, and prefer to type inane questions. I think Saturday, so don't bother replying unless you can't help but poke fun at the lazy and stupid.....

Firebreath
27-10-2005, 15:24
When does the reading commence? Note that I am too lazy to read back a couple of pages, and prefer to type inane questions. I think Saturday, so don't bother replying unless you can't help but poke fun at the lazy and stupid.....
Hello there. :D

I'm not sure, but I think the first session will be discussed around the 5th of November. I'm just guessing, so don't sue me.
I just hope my copy arrives well before that.

Meanwhile, I've been reading Player of Games and I've nearly finished with it. Expect a review of sorts, very soonish.

Bran Dawri
27-10-2005, 15:48
So what, exactly, are we supposed to have read by november 5th?

The entire book? The first chapter? the first half?

Firebreath
27-10-2005, 16:09
Like I said, I'm just guessing. All will be announced by Wintermute.

Patience, young padawan. ;)

Wintermute
27-10-2005, 20:09

a quick update on the WBC Squad for the WarSeer Chapter

Erestor - unfortunately you cannot donate a Marine to the WBC and to the WPSG. I know your name is registered as contributing to the WPSG. Please let me know which Group you wish to donate to.

The following WBC Members have said they will donate Marines

Firebreath: Guilder
Badgobbla: Guilder
Great Harlequin: Guilder
SmashemTaBits: Member
C Lagana: Member

Firebreath will be the Squad Sergeant (well I can't be the Sergeant can I)

Did I mention my position in The Chapter?

For those of you who hadn't guessed I'm the Grand Master Librarian of The WarSeer Chapter.

A quick question to the WBC Squad Members what do you think about a little promotion from a Space Marine Squad to a Body Guard/Command Squad for the Grand Master Librarian?

All Guilders would be able to Select Terminator Honours and all which that infers (check the rules for Command Squads in the SM Codex) Firebreath would become Veteran Sergeant and Badgobbla and Great Harlequin become Veteran Marines.

SmashemTaBits and C Lagana - don't feel left out - you can choose a heavy or special weapon instead of a bolter.

What do you think?

Let me know.

Wintermute

SmashemTaBitsa
27-10-2005, 22:00
Sounds sweet. *Starts rummaging for heavy weapons*

Erestor
28-10-2005, 04:17
Ok then Wintermute, since I'm registered with WPSG, I'll stick with that. Sorry Librarians. It would be nice to be a Grand Master Librarians bodyguard.

C. Langana
28-10-2005, 04:41
I think I'll just be a bolter marine if its all the same, the drawing board is crampt enough as it is...
Mind you Librarian bodyguard, now that does sound pretty special. I'm all for it.

Firebreath
28-10-2005, 15:36
A quick question to the WBC Squad Members what do you think about a little promotion from a Space Marine Squad to a Body Guard/Command Squad for the Grand Master Librarian?

All Guilders would be able to Select Terminator Honours and all which that infers (check the rules for Command Squads in the SM Codex) Firebreath would become Veteran Sergeant and Badgobbla and Great Harlequin become Veteran Marines.

SmashemTaBits and C Lagana - don't feel left out - you can choose a heavy or special weapon instead of a bolter.

What do you think?

Let me know.

Wintermute
Command Squad? At your service! :cool:

I've got some ideas, but it's going to be costly pointswise.
Sergeant (15), Terminator Honours (15), Thunder hammer (30; ties in with my Salamanders background), frag grenades (1), but I don't know if I should take a Bolt pistol, Plasma pistol or Combi-meltagun. Or maybe even a Bolt pistol with Combat shield!
That's probably down to whether the Squad as a whole will be mainly shooty or assaulty.

Another thing, I'll take a helmeted head ('cause I can't do eyes) with an extra eye-piece to symbolise my lack of vision. :p

Any ideas on Special Skills? Probably down to shooty/assaulty as well.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Wintermute
28-10-2005, 19:08
Firebreath

A bodyguard unit that relies on short range and close combat weapons is going to do its job very well.

I suggest that all the Veteran members of your squad have at least a bolter or combi-bolter together with a close combat weapon (if desired).

I'm definately taking a similar combination of weapons. However I get to take a Force weapon as a CC weapon.

Firebreath
28-10-2005, 22:23
First things first: I finished Player of Games and I have to say it's a great little book.
Nice story, great characters, and (as I've come to expect from Mr. Banks) some extremely brutal and shocking events.
I did guess right about the drone's part, though. Well, almost.

About Flere-Imsaho being Mawhrin-Skel, that is. I assumed Mawhrin got re-programmed or something, but it dawned on me later that Flere was Mawhrin all along. The Culture is a nasty piece of work, setting Gurgeh up like this. :evilgrin:
This sick twist alone is worth the 8.5 I was going to reward Player of Games.

Second: I've got to think very hard on how I'm going to equip my model for the Battlebarge. It has be feasible points-, rules- and assembly-wise.
I haven't played a single game of WH40K in my life, and I really haven't got a clue. :skull:

Great Harlequin
29-10-2005, 17:08

Shiny :)

Sounds like a great idea! I think that any Grand Master would have a bodyguard in some shape or form.

By the way has anyone picked Ascension (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844162850/202-1019760-6221443) up yet? I found it to be a thrilling read and I felt C.S. Goto's writing has really improved. Well worth getting.

All the very bestest,

Ender
05-11-2005, 17:28
this is a reply to the 5 questions asked at the start of this thread
1). si-fi: gotta be ender's game (though there are so many good sci-fi books out there, eg. anything by peter hamilton, Douglas adams, etc.)
2). fantasy: another difficult choice, i'll go with anything by terry pratchett for now
3).general fiction: may have to get back to you on this one, not read much
4).non-fiction: the universe in a nutshell by stephen hawkins
5).GW fiction: First and Only, the book that prompted me to start a guard army

Firebreath
05-11-2005, 18:02
Hello and welcome, Ender. :)

About Stranger in a strange land: I'm still waiting for my copy, I'm afraid. Hopefully, it will arrive somewhere during the coming week.
I did manage to lay my grubby paws on the Hyperion-omnibus by D. Simmons (in English, this time) and I'll be picking up Traitor General by D. Abnett as well. Which means I'm looking at a decent sized stack of unread books once more. :p

About The Battlebarge: do any of the other participants have some sort of plan already? You know, weapons, wargear (if any), bitz you're going to use. I'd just like to know. ;)
Also, I think there's room for a few extra members.

Wintermute
05-11-2005, 19:30

And welcome to our newest member Ender.

I will announce the first session for Stranger in a Strange Land (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340837950/qid=1129402361/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/026-7550911-4080469) next Saturday, 12th November. Hopefully everyone will have obtained their copy by then.

As Firebreath has posted, there are still vacancies available in my bodyguard squad for the WarSeers Chapter.

The plans for my mini are well advanced, but they are remaining secret for the moment ;)

Great Harlequin
06-11-2005, 13:27
Greetings to you once more Ender! I'm glad to see you've signed up. :)

I have obtained my copy of Stranger in a Strange Land so I'll be ready to start.

About The Battlebarge: do any of the other participants have some sort of plan already? You know, weapons, wargear (if any), bitz you're going to use. I'd just like to know. ;)
I'm not totally decided on mine yet though I do have a few ideas buzzing around.

He'll be kept relatively cheap points wise and I'm going to attempt to make him look relatively scholarly, so I may attach a book to him hanging down one side of his body. It's all pretty much up in the air at the moment.

Question: This has probably been discussed already but can we be upgraded to any of the specialists such as Apothecary or Company Champion?

Because I have some spare bits for all the specialists and I wouldn't mind taking up one of their roles.

Also, I think there's room for a few extra members.
There is indeed. Fancy joining in Ender? (Yes, yes picking on the new kid I know :rolleyes: ;))

You can find all the information you want in the Battle Barge (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50) forum.

The plans for my mini are well advanced, but they are remaining secret for the moment
We have ways of making you talk!

*brandishes poking stick*

Firebreath
06-11-2005, 15:45
He'll be kept relatively cheap points wise and I'm going to attempt to make him look relatively scholarly, so I may attach a book to him hanging down one side of his body. It's all pretty much up in the air at the moment.
On points: I'm trying to keep my sergeant cheap, but I keep adding things. ;)
What would you consider a reasonable points limit for a sergeant with terminator honours? I'm not building a captain, so I feel anything more than 70-80 points is bordering on overkill...

On books: I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Are there specific bitz around that we could use, because my skills at "green-stuffing" are non-existant. :(

Wintermute
06-11-2005, 15:49
I'm not totally decided on mine yet though I do have a few ideas buzzing around.

Question: This has probably been discussed already but can we be upgraded to any of the specialists such as Apothecary or Company Champion?

Because I have some spare bits for all the specialists and I wouldn't mind taking up one of their roles.

Yes you can elect to be an Apothecary, but not a Company Champion. Let Firebreath or myself know what you decide to do.

BTW I would suggest the entire squad is armed with Frag and Krak Grenades.

We have ways of making you talk!

*brandishes poking stick*

Yeah right.

I'll see your poking stick and raise you a Ban Hammer :D

On books: I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Are there specific bitz around that we could use, because my skills at "green-stuffing" are non-existant. :(

You could always take a saw to one of the existing Librarian minis...

Great Harlequin
06-11-2005, 20:39
On points: I'm trying to keep my sergeant cheap, but I keep adding things. ;)
What would you consider a reasonable points limit for a sergeant with terminator honours? I'm not building a captain, so I feel anything more than 70-80 points is bordering on overkill...
I think a Combat shield is essential for a sergeant, so I'd take that along with a Bolt Pistol and a special close combat weapon of some kind. This could be a Thunder Hammer, Power Fist or Power Sword. And then finish it off as Wintermute suggested with Frag and Krak grenades.

Cheap and effective.

I was thinking of using the book on the Witchunter Henchman (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060108048&orignav=10) on the far right.

I was then going to attach it to a small chain of somekind.

Yes you can elect to be an Apothecary, but not a Company Champion. Let Firebreath or myself know what you decide to do.
I'll endevour to have made my decision by tomorrow, I'll just have to check I have all the necessary bits and see if he's suitable for the conversions I had planned.

Yeah right.

I'll see your poking stick and raise you a Ban Hammer!
I know when I'm beat...

Wintermute
06-11-2005, 21:02
How about removing the book from this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010107002&orignav=10)?

Also we are canvassing for ideas for Campaign badges to represent the various WarSeer Groups. These Badges will be on the transfer sheet we are designing. Therefore don't worry too much about the adding a book to the minis.

On the subject of the Bolt pistol and shield. I've always preferred to see minis with weapons which have a 24 inch range. The idea of bodyguard that can't deal with a threat until its gets into Bolt Pistol range is a little disconcerting. I a threat gets that close, I may as well deal with them myself.

Therefore will all squad members please equip themselves with a weapon which has at least a 24 inch range :cool:

Even my Librarian will be taking at least a bolter/storm/combi bolter in addition to his grenades, pyschic powers, psychic hood and force (BAN) hammer :evilgrin:

Bran Dawri
06-11-2005, 23:26
I do not yet have my extended copy of Stranger :cries: ; my bookstore is awfully slow in ordering things. I've noticed this before. I may have have A Talk :mad: with them on this...
Until I do have it, I'll read my current (old) version alongside your extended. Could provide a nice contrast, as well.

SmashemTaBitsa
06-11-2005, 23:35
I was thinking of using the book on the Witchunter Henchman (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060108048&orignav=10) on the far right.

How about removing the book from this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010107002&orignav=10)?

Sorry Winter, but I vote for the one Harly suggested. It is cheaper (by 2 British pounds, like 4 American Dollars, right?), and it looks easier to hack off. This is all assuming this is a democracy though :D.

Wintermute
07-11-2005, 07:01
Sorry Winter, but I vote for the one Harly suggested. It is cheaper (by 2 British pounds, like 4 American Dollars, right?), and it looks easier to hack off. This is all assuming this is a democracy though :D.

In all honesty we should wait until the Campaign Bagdes/Transfer Sheet issue is decided. Especially as those marking will be official.

Great Harlequin
07-11-2005, 18:27
After much consideration I've decided to stay as my basic Verteran Marine. :cool:

Another good idea, I don't think I've got him though... :(

Also we are canvassing for ideas for Campaign badges to represent the various WarSeer Groups. These Badges will be on the transfer sheet we are designing. Therefore don't worry too much about the adding a book to the minis.
Ok.

But I still want to make mine look more scholarly, so I was going to add some parchment on certain parts of the mini and a fair few purity seals to give it some character.

On the subject of the Bolt pistol and shield. I've always preferred to see minis with weapons which have a 24 inch range. The idea of bodyguard that can't deal with a threat until its gets into Bolt Pistol range is a little disconcerting. I a threat gets that close, I may as well deal with them myself.
Can we still take Combat shields? They don't take up any weapon options and room can be found for them on a figure even if he's wielding a two handed weapon.

Therefore will all squad members please equip themselves with a weapon which has at least a 24 inch range :cool:
I'm fine by this although it doesn't make great Tactical sense in the game.

I think I may well be sticking to a Holy Bolter or Storm Bolter.

However, I still think Firebreath should provide some Close combat support. He would never leave you in a battle and would stay at your side at all times, he would not allow his Grand Master to go into combat alone without some decent support. Plus I really can't see a Veteran Sergeant wielding a two handed ranged weapon...

All the very bestest,

SmashemTaBitsa
08-11-2005, 03:22
I finished Stranger today. I know it's not time to talk about it yet, so I won't. I was just curious where this ferret scene was. I didn't see it as I read through, and it was a part I was excited about. Anyone have a chapter for me?

C. Langana
08-11-2005, 11:51
Smash: there were no ferrets, I just invented that, still can't remember why. Sorry to dissapoint.

Firebreath
08-11-2005, 15:09
However, I still think Firebreath should provide some Close combat support. He would never leave you in a battle and would stay at your side at all times, he would not allow his Grand Master to go into combat alone without some decent support.
Damn straight. :cool:

I'm leaning towards Terminator Honours (obviously), Stormbolter (assault 2), Lightning Claw (ignores armour saves and re-rolls failed To Wound), frag- and krak grenades. Any comments?

@ Smashem: any idea yet about which heavy weapon you're going to deploy?

Still waiting for Stranger... but at least Traitor General will soon be here.

* and enough of those ferrets already, lol *

Great Harlequin
08-11-2005, 16:59
Oh, I just realized that we have the Trait, "Trust your Battle Brothers so I could field a Bolter and a Close Combat Weapon if I wanted, right?

Or is that not official yet?

I'm leaning towards Terminator Honours (obviously), Stormbolter (assault 2), Lightning Claw (ignores armour saves and re-rolls failed To Wound), frag- and krak grenades. Any comments?
Sounds pretty solid. Cheap and effective. And it's a lot more original than some Veteran Sergeants are, it should look good.

Any idea when Stranger will arrive Firebreath?

Firebreath
08-11-2005, 17:21
Oh, I just realized that we have the Trait, "Trust your Battle Brothers so I could field a Bolter and a Close Combat Weapon if I wanted, right?

Or is that not official yet?
I think that's pretty much official, yes.

Sounds pretty solid. Cheap and effective. And it's a lot more original than some Veteran Sergeants are, it should look good.
Well, I'll sure try my best to make it look good. ;)

Any idea when Stranger will arrive Firebreath?
It seems that this is one of these books that take a while. I remember Starship Troopers by the same author taking the better part of three weeks, so I'm hoping for this week or beginning next week.

SmashemTaBitsa
08-11-2005, 17:57
@ Smashem: any idea yet about which heavy weapon you're going to deploy?

* and enough of those ferrets already, lol *

I am getting a few SM off one of my local players who's quitting, so I'll wait to see what they have. I don't know a whole lot about SMs, so if any of you have a suggestion for what I should take, it's appreciated.

PS- Why you all go getting my hopes up? I wanted to hear about ferrets! :cries:

C. Langana
08-11-2005, 18:57
Smashemtabits: well we could always give our resident librarian one of those watcher things, in the guise of a giant ferret, or perhaps a fenris wolf...
(hides from the banhammer)

Wintermute
08-11-2005, 19:06
Damn straight. :cool:

That is perfect.

Just what I was going to advise you to do :D

Trust Your Battle Brothers and See but don't be Seen are our Trait Advantages.

SmashemTaBits I'd go for a Multi Melta or a Heavy Bolter.

BTW are you all aware I've taken temporary command of the 4th Company?

The next person who mentions ferrets will not have to worry about my Ban Hammer.

Just my two Japanese Akitas :evilgrin:

C. Langana
09-11-2005, 01:53
Just so I can check, will our librarian accept a standard bolter armed marine? Beaky helmet? If possible, with a Mustela putorius furo modelled on the base?

Wintermute
09-11-2005, 07:15
Standard Bolter Marine
Ok
Beaky Helmet
It would add variety
Mustela putorius furo
Only if you realise you will be the victim of a series of Friendly Fire incidents :evilgrin: