PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to raise my Undead again...

Grapeshot
11-01-2009, 14:45
I bought the first Undead army book and minis more than a decade ago but had only managed to paint and gather less than 500 pts. Eventually I got demoralised and my undeads were left buried in the dusty catacombs.

Ever since the release of the latest VC army book, I sense the wind of dark magics swelling and gathering again. It's time for the re-summoning...

Question is: What unit should I gather to start a 500 and 1000 pts army?

I already got a partial unit of Skeleton warriors, a Wight, 5 Skeleton Horsemen and Screaming Skull Catapult. I have failed to raise the latter as its invocation is not inscribed in the VC army grimoire. The Skeleton Horsemen are improved as Black Knights and all I need is further add a Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer for them. The original Wight are imbued and raised as Wight King, to lead the Skeleton warriors. I'm in progress to further increase the number of this core unit. Lastly a Vampire as the General is a must.

Back to the question again of what unit to add. I'm no lover for the Zombies, although it's very tempting to raise them out of nowhere and flank the ememies. More likely I will get more Skeleton warriors, or should I make a Ghoul unit instead? I'm thinking of getting the Grave Guards eventually. Or maybe eventually summon the Wraiths. How about a Battle Standard? Is it worth it? Necromancers?

How would you build my VC army?

Dark_Mage99
11-01-2009, 15:02
Battle standard is definitely worth it.

Necromancer's are cheap and guarantee you a Vanhels. Most people like to run them with power stones to get the spells through reliably.

I would recommend getting some zombies, even if you only use them through the magic phase. Vampire tactics rely heavily on raising them, and you will be severely restricted in what you can do if you don't have any waiting to be raised.

Ghouls can kill more than skeletons, but even then won't kill much. Skeletons can have standards (and magic standards), making them pretty handy in that regard. Both are good.

Scythe
12-01-2009, 06:58
The Skeleton Horsemen are improved as Black Knights and all I need is further add a Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer for them.

No direct need. Black Knights function perfectly well without command as flankers. No barding, no upgrades, just black knights with lances. Due to their ethereal movement, they can nicely move through that difficult terrain to position themselves optimally for a flank charge (and for that, 3 models left is really all you need to achieve your objective). Keep a vampire close to them (Vargulfs are ideal for this; making a very potent flanking force) to make sure they can keep moving 16", and you're all set.

More likely I will get more Skeleton warriors, or should I make a Ghoul unit instead? I'm thinking of getting the Grave Guards eventually. Or maybe eventually summon the Wraiths. How about a Battle Standard? Is it worth it? Necromancers?

Ghouls are ok, but suffer from not having banner / magic banner options imho, which sets them 2 points back in combat resolution. Though they can compensate for this somewhat due extra kills, these are quite unreliable, so I prefer skeletons as block units, and ghouls as supporting flankers in units of 10-14. Grave Guard are great, as well as Wraiths (though they suffer against some armies). Anyway, you cannot really go wrong with any undead core or special choice. In the rare department, the Vargulf is always usefull, the Wraiths are ok as mentioned (though quite expensive), and the other two need some thought about building your army around them. I would steer away from them as a beginner initially.

Most people don't seem to bother with necromancers, but I think they are not that bad. Characters are expensive enough as it is, and I like filling a last character slot I might have left with a necromancer if I think I need a little extra magic support or defense, while not spending 200 pts on another vampire.

gunners
20-01-2009, 11:53
Graveguard, with the Drakenhoff banner (regeneration) is a must, they become viturly indestructable, and can deal some pain back. Really a must have for the new VC army. And, as mentioned before, Black knights, i always have standard and musician but no champion, no need for the points. With the Banner of the dead legion, you could autobreak almost every unit, no need for flank attack:D..

Yerun
24-01-2009, 10:12
I started by buying the battalion... twice :D
so you get skelleton spears and swords, enough zombies to summon and strong ghouls.
and you get the two corpse carts for free

you can buy empire mage and convert them with spare bits into 2 necromancers.
and then Konrad von karstein :D coolest looking vampire model et voila :D nice starting army ;)

Harwammer
24-01-2009, 10:56
Ghouls might be slightly better, but I prefer skeletons as they look cooler. I even take a unit with spears!

VC is a good army to have as you can take pretty much anything from the list and it will be viable.

Theres no real must haves, so there is plenty of opportunity for a nice, varied army. And variety is the spice of unlife!

Edit: I've not really played at low points much, but for my 1k army I took a vamp, 2x necros in 2x skeleton blocks, 1x10 ghouls and 2 (or 3?) units of 5 black knights.

The blocks are deployed centrally with the black knights on the flanks. The vamp uses ghoulkin to move forwards after deployment. This is to ensure the black knights stay within 12" at turn two. The skeletons move up to pin down enemy units while the black knights hit the flanks or deal with warmachines.

To expand to 1500 I threw in some magic items, added an invo corpse cart and a couple of units of wolves. Having the marching banner on a third unit of black knights was good.

It may not be the "best" way to play undead, but I find them most fun with a few cheap, large blocks to seize ground and several small, fast black knight units to act as a strike force. The characters are just there to support the army and try to stay out of trouble.