PDA

View Full Version : Blocked flying charge

Malorian
11-01-2009, 19:05
This came up yesterday and I really wasn't sure how it should go:

Several charges declared and one of them is with a non-large target flier. As we run through the charges it's not really important how it happened but the LOS of the flier was now blocked to the target by another enemy unit.

So since the flier had LOS when the charge was declared would he fly over the unit and hit his target? Or since his LOS is blocked his charge hits the other enemy unit?

In the end we decided that it makes more sense for him to hit his original target since he knew it was there, but we still aren't sure if we did it right...

alextroy
11-01-2009, 19:11
You did it right. To quote page 68 under Flying Charges:

...Note that a flyer must be able to see its intended target when charges are declared as normal, but can otherwise fly over models and scenery that would stop the charge of a normal model...

Malorian
11-01-2009, 19:46
Ok good.

DeathlessDraich
11-01-2009, 21:20
Been asked before. The word "can" in the flying rules doesn't help unfortunately.

There are 2 options:

1) Move over intervening enemy units into btb with the declared target

2) EITW of the intervening enemy unit -presumably fleeing?

Don't know what the exact scenario is but I would certainly seriously consider 2 and the prospect of destroying 2 units.

Gazak Blacktoof
11-01-2009, 22:10
Been asked before. The word "can" in the flying rules doesn't help unfortunately.

EITW only comes into effect if you can't reach your target, if you can reach the target the enemy aren't in the way.

DeathlessDraich
12-01-2009, 10:18
No, refer to the errata and FAQ on EITW. It does apply to this case and is simply enemy in the way of a charge regardless

Gazak Blacktoof
12-01-2009, 10:53
Could you point out which part of the FAQ. I had skim through and couldn't find anything relevant.