PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Painting

soots
11-01-2009, 23:50
Trying to get my partner into painting. Went to GW to buy some paints and couldnt commit to it after seeing the prices.

$9 for a small brush? $22 for a can of paint?
$6 for a small tablespoon of paint?

its going to cost me $150+ to start painting miniatures from GW

Can anyone recommend another shop that sells similar paints but doesnt blatantly rip you off?

devolutionary
12-01-2009, 00:04
The paints will cost about the same across the board though you may get a little more with different brands. Brushes make a big difference in the price though. I personally use fairly cheap brushes from a stationery store since I can't be trusted to look after good brushes. Spray paint, you can go to a hardware store and get acrylic primer cans for much cheaper, or even at an art store which is where I scour for bits too. Just don't expect the small pots of paint to be dramatically different anywhere you go. Other paint brands include Vallejo Model Colour/Game Colour, P3 (Privateer Press Paints) and even other modelling brands like Tamiya.

I'm going to assume by those prices that you are in Australia? Vallejo and P3 are all readily available at many independant stores from what I understand (hell, they are in NZ at least) and go to non-wargaming model stores to see what they have.

guillaume
12-01-2009, 00:52
It really depends.

GW paintbrushes are a ripoff, as you can get good paintbrushes at your local hobby/art store.

For a first time painter, just get the regular stuff. After several armies, you will notice that sable paintbrush behave much better with paint. They are about 6-10$ a brush, upt to 15$.

The cans, well, I have just had a very bad experience with Armory paint can (hobby paint), and OH My god, this it come out thick, and completely powdercoated my models, which I had to pinesoled and strip the paint.

The GW can paint is absolutely fantastic. Although, a can of GW oaint should cost you about 12-15$..not 22$!

The paints are also about 3$ not 6$....

You kind of bite the bullet, just like when you start with an army.

You want the regular box of paints (around 25$), a can (around 12-15$), and some wash (you dont need all of them, but flesh wash is a definite must have).

You dont need all the colors right now, you want to get your basic, and eventually your paint collection grow.

Guardian_A
12-01-2009, 01:04
For your brushes, go to Wal*Mart and pick up the value pack. You will get +20 bushes for about $5. You might only be able to use 8-10 of them to paint your minis with, but it still comes out pretty cheap. For me it works out really well because I just give my Wife what I cant use and she takes them to the daycare she works at.

As for the paints, go with the GW paints or something compairable (Reaper is another good one) Buying the good paints is well worth it, and thats coming from someone who will save a buck any way he can. For primering your models, look into "Color Place" paint (Again, it can be found at Wal*Mart), its only about $1 a spray can and works almost as well as the GW stuff. Also, look into the GW washes, they are great.

Duke Georgal
12-01-2009, 03:02
For starters, use Ceramcoat paints by Delta. About $1.00 US for a 2 ounce bottle. Lots of colors, pretty good quality. These are widely available at Michael's and other arts & crafts stores.

GW paints are better, but as a beginner you probably will not be able to tell the difference. Start with less expensive paints, and replace them with GW or other quality paints as you need to.

Chicago Slim
12-01-2009, 03:09
I get most of my paint from a local hobby shop-- typically either Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnn Fabrics-- where a 2 fl. oz. (59 ml) bottle is typically about $2.50-- that's 5 times the size of GW's paints, for slightly less per bottle... Generally, I've been very happy with the colors and flow, though some colors are worse than others, and every now and then I get a bottle that's either extra-thick (no problem, just thin it with water) or kind of runny (which is problematic...)

Metallics tend to be a bit more expensive, but never more than $5 for a 2 oz bottle. There's a couple of colors I rely on GW for-- I've never found anything I like as much as Boltgun metal or Goblin green-- and there's nothing that compares to the new GW washes.

I tend to spend $4-6 for a brush, at a local art supply store. I've played with some cheap spray-paint solutions, and I have to admit that GW's spray cans are better than anything I've found at the hardware store, though for a while Ace Hardware's house brand of spray primer was quite suitable. These days, I mostly try to use a spray primer from a company whose name I forget, but it's sold with the Dork Tower webcomic characters on the label (obviously, I've only ever seen it at the local independent game store...) $5/can, for slightly more volume than the GW cans...

But, yeah, there's absolutely no reason you have to shell out top-dollar for GW's paints, brushes or sprays. You can find decent brushes, paint (liquid or spray) and other basics at art supply stores, crafts stores (like Michael's or Hobby Lobby), hardware stores, and probably even Wallmart.

But, yeah, buy the GW washes. They rock.

Da_Greeniest
12-01-2009, 03:19
Get the paints from GW, all of them are only 3.50 a pop. If you're smart with your painting and thin it out, one pot will last you a long while.

Get any and everything else somewhere else. I get my brushes and glue at Michael's.

soots
12-01-2009, 03:51
Ok, sounds like GW paints and everything else art store. (I might check art store first for paints).

Anyone here use foundation paint?

Im painting brettonian knights from the old boxed set.

Cartoon
12-01-2009, 04:02
Foundations and the washes are a godsend to painting. Foundations give you a nice, solid color in one go while the washes add tons of depth to your model. They allow even mediocre painters like me to field an army that's almost presentable.

Cartoon
12-01-2009, 04:06
I almost forgot, the most important thing you need for painting is patience. I know it sounds cheesey but just give yourself time to improve if your first model or two aren't what you expected. Like was said earlier, remember to thin your paints. It's always better to use several thin coats than one or two thick ones. You will get better fairly quick, so much so that after three or so models there will be a dramatic difference in their appearence.

Staurikosaurus
12-01-2009, 04:19
you could just buy a paint set. $40-$65 CDN and you've got 9-10 paints, a paint brush, glue clippers, sand and flock.

Stuffburger
12-01-2009, 04:51
My sig has a pretty good guide on acquiring modeling stuff on the cheap. A rough estimate puts 15 paints, can of primer, flock, sand (free), couple brushes and glue at around $60 if you shop around- still not cheap but not bad for a hobby, and you can share with a friend or two.

DigbyWeapon
12-01-2009, 05:57
Its pretty expensive stuff, you should check around hobby stores, art stores and even places like Bunnings.
I buy my paints from GW, because I like to follow step by step instructions on how to paint certain styles, but I get all by brushes from art stores.
And for the people saying his price's are wrong, no they aren't, they are really expensive in Australia.

Digby

mrtn
12-01-2009, 10:48
Vallejo is about price if you look at cost per ml. Get them from independent game stores or from hobby stores. I prefer them to GW paints. The new GW washes are pretty good though.

Kerill
12-01-2009, 11:43
You don't need to buy that many colours anyway:
Black
White
An average blue (enchanted)
An average red (blood)
A yellow
Chainmail/Mithril Silver
Gold

All the hundreds of shades you can get aren't really needed unless you are really serious about it and have lots of money to spend.