PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help For TK Army Under 2k pts

Morglum5780
12-01-2009, 19:12
I have several dozen fights logged with TK, but I only have 1 opponent (we play multiple armies). Soon I will be playing in my first tournament where i have to use my TK just under 2k pts (1900), which means I cant bring in a High Liche Priest, a big disadvantage for my army as i see it. I will also be playing against several armies and from what i have seen in the past, tactics that may be more... beardy than i am used to (gun line, etc).

I am looking for some help on what i can do to make a decent under 2k TK army. I figured i would have 2 LP and a prince, probably a smaller chariot unit, where the prince will be and a coupe of units of archers, a scorp as well.

I am very worried about magic. It will be hard to cast and hard to dispel given the fact that other armies can bring 3 wizards if they so choose, not to mention cast more spells. I was thinking of bring a CoS, it would go a long way in helping me on both ends of the magic phase, but it would also take up my only rare slot and I couldnt use the ultra versatile SSC.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Oenghus
12-01-2009, 20:21
Urgh. 1900 points is probably the worst points level I can think of for a Tomb Kings army. They're so dependent on their characters (specifically their lords), that you're going to have some serious trouble.

I'd probably consider going with two priests and a prince, as you suggested. I'd bring a couple of decent-sized blocks of skeletons, and then as many scorpions as I can cram into the list. Scorpions can generally handle hero-level characters (especially wizards), and if you can, you want to kill them as soon as possible so that you can start to control the magic phase more effectively.

You might even consider bringing a couple of swarms along. Ten poisoned attacks can ruin a wizard pretty easily, and they're also good at knocking down war machine crews. If you end up playing versus gunlines, try to get your scorps and swarms into the shooters' flanks. You ought to hang around long enough in a flank combat that your skeletons can trudge across the board.

For a rare, bring a catapult. With only hero-level leadership to overcome, you might be able to panic some units off the board (or at least out of position).

Finally, encourage your tournament organizers to go up to 2k next time.

3Xhume
12-01-2009, 21:48
You might want to bring Casket of Souls because it will give you magic supremacy. 1900 pts is a quite big considering no lords so maxing scorpion will leave you only with skeleton warriors. If it is me, i will consider prince on chariot, 2 liche priest, archer, tomb swarm, big chariot unit (4-5), tomb scorpion, tomb guard or 5 carrion, casket of souls. Maybe add some bound items like staff of ravening and banner of undying legion. The list will give you 8-9 power dice which is quite good for under 2k.

Morglum5780
13-01-2009, 13:14
Ok. My army list thus far looks something like this (spelling may be off for magic items, don't have the book in front of me) any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

tomb prince on chariot w/ light armor, shield, spear of anthak, vanbraces of the sun

lich priest w/ collar of shapesh, hjertic jar

lich priest w/ cloak of dunes, plauqe of incantations

10 bowmen

10 bowmen

30 spearmen w/ light armor, shield, command

scorpion

7 chariots w/ mirage standard

3 tomb swarms

4 carrion

Casket of Souls

I can't field more than 1 scorp (otherwise i would) as I only have 1 model and I hear they arent selling them anymore, so I'd rather wait for new models.

Godswildcard
13-01-2009, 15:16
My style of play with the Kings is somewhat different than yours. I like the Prince, 2 LP combo, and the chariots are solid. However, I never really had much luck at all using large blocks of skeletons, unless you're going to give them the standard that lets you regenerate skellies. Ideally, yes, you can use your liche priest to raise them, but in that points level chances are your priests are going to have their hands full as it is w/o raising your skeletons every magic phase. I would beef up the archer units, give them a command group and throw in a few magic banners. The strength of the TK army is being able to throw around so many spells that the enemy can't possible stop them all. Throw a few banners that do offense on the archer units and you're in business pretty well.
On the Liche priests, I used the cloak of the dunes and Heiratic jar combo, which worked wonders. A flying liche priest with an ace up its sleeve will almost always come in handy. I also like the staff of ravening stuck in with an archer unit just for a little more punch. I'd run that unit near a catapult to keep it firing twice a round, which can do amazing damage at that points level. I never had much use for carrion, so I would sub those for a catapult w/ skulls of the foe.

***KEEP IN MIND*** the Dark Elf assasin is probably the worst thing that a TK player could face. I promise you that if you run a casket, that assasin WILL pop out of it and kill your priest long before the Killing Blow Casket Guard can do anything about it. There goes one of your characters off the bat, and the casket will probably crumble, so it does zero damage by the end of the first turn. It happens all the time, and it sucks. My strategy when playing Dark Elves is to not run a casket and keep my characters just outside of the units they are going to end up in so that he can't pop out and kill them before they can do the things they do best. Since Dark Elves are a fairly new army, expect to see them at a tourney. Again, just a warning.

I like the swarms. ICFB those guys behind enemy lines and then destroy things when they pop up. You can do the same with the scorpion, but don't rule out deploying it normally. You'd be amazed at the great lengths people will go to to avoid that thing. Just a thought. I've had success with it in the past.

Just my 2 cents.

Max_Killfactor
13-01-2009, 15:48
***KEEP IN MIND*** the Dark Elf assasin is probably the worst thing that a TK player could face. I promise you that if you run a casket, that assasin WILL pop out of it and kill your priest long before the Killing Blow Casket Guard can do anything about it. There goes one of your characters off the bat, and the casket will probably crumble, so it does zero damage by the end of the first turn. It happens all the time, and it sucks. My strategy when playing Dark Elves is to not run a casket and keep my characters just outside of the units they are going to end up in so that he can't pop out and kill them before they can do the things they do best. Since Dark Elves are a fairly new army, expect to see them at a tourney. Again, just a warning.

Only Shadowblade (a special character) can start the battle in an enemy unit. Normal assassins have to start the battle in dark elf units. Shadowblade is over 300 points and takes up a hero slot.

Morglum5780
13-01-2009, 16:10
I wasnt aware of this special character before. I am certain that I will see at least 1 DE army. While I myself wouldnt take a 300 pt character under 2k, i can see other people doing it. I'm not sure if this is reason enough to swap out a CoS for a SSC because it would put me at an extreme disadvantage in the magic phase.

I also cant give archers magic banner, nor spearmen under 2k pts. I could swap out my 30 spearmen for 25 tomb guard, even though in my experience they haven't done me well (and they are unpainted).

what do you guys think is better for a tournament army, 30 spearmen or 25 TG?

Ymir
13-01-2009, 16:16
I would strongly advise -against- bringing the Casket. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it has the enormous disadvantage of tying up one of your priests. In battles as small as this, when you only can take two priests, and only one rare choice, the Casket will mean one priest is wasted as he won't have something really useful (i.e, the SSC) to cast his incantations on each and every turn. It won't work. The catapult is a much, much better choice for small points games.

You'll need to max out the usefulness of those two priests you do have. When I played a 1750 pts toruney, I used the following setup. I should probably confess right away, I lost that tourney big time, but I still think my list was pretty solid, given the circumstances:

- Liche priest(ess) with cloak of the dunes, neferra's plaques. (Hierophant)
- Liche priest on steed, with hieratic jar.
- Tomb prince in chariot w. flail, collar of shapesh, brooch of the great desert.

For a little more magic power, I had the Banner of the Undying legion on the prince's chariot unit.

Unit-wise, I used...lemme see...3 chariots, 4 carrions, 3 ushabti, 1 SSC, a big block of skeletons with hand weapons + shields, and two units of archers. Had I built that list today, I would try to squeeze in a few tomb swarms for sure.

It's still not enough magic to feel comfortable, but it's the best the TK can do under 2000 points, I think. The Casket really are a waste on those point levels. Maybe It could work if you do a -really- archer-heavy list, a gunline of sorts, so the priest on the casket will have enough stuff to cast incantations on. Might be worth a try.

Also; spearmen sucks. Hand weapons are a much better alternative, as they'll grant you a 4+ save in close combat due to the hand weapn + shields rule, -and- are cheaper than spears to boot. Skeleton blocks are there for tying up stuff and maybe auto-breaking something due to Static Combat resolution. They really, really can't kill stuff, so spears are a total waste.

Morglum5780
13-01-2009, 16:34
thanks for the input. Arming TK warriors with spears is the same price as warriors with hand weapons and shield, and in fact any unit of spearmen can be used as hand weapon + shield in any combat if you so choose (their army list entry is kinda weird that way). So therefore i can handle whether i want 4+ sv or the spears in a game by game basis.

Godswildcard
13-01-2009, 16:45
Only Shadowblade (a special character) can start the battle in an enemy unit. Normal assassins have to start the battle in dark elf units. Shadowblade is over 300 points and takes up a hero slot.

I'm sorry, that is my mistake. Still, a 300 point special character who can do that much damage (he killed my SSC and 8 Heavy Horsmen before my Tomb Guard and Khalida got to him) is pretty nasty and would EAT a CoS.

I guess my next question would be "WHY THE HECK WOULD GW MAKE A DARK ELF SC THAT HAS A BETTER 'CURSE/DYING' THINGY THAN A 3000 YEAR OLD UNDEAD KING??!!

I'm talking about that thing he does when you kill him and he explodes, killing most low T things that are touching him...

Ymir
13-01-2009, 17:12
Morglum: you're right, of course, I should have expressed myself more clearly. What I did mean is; skeletons with hand weapon + light armour and shields are a much better use for the points than shields and spears, as it'll give your skeletons a 4+ save in close combat, thus making them much more surviveable than would otherwise be the case. Giving them -both- spears and light armour would cost an extra point per model, and 10 pts per model for skeleton warriors wouldn't be such a good idea.

Wulfrik
13-01-2009, 18:33
Ymir is right about the CoS... it affectivedly pulls one of your priests away from the battle lines and makes him static. (I'm not saying keep your priests IN the battle line,s but he has to be mobile enough to affect the battle, and your incantations are relatively short-range.) The SSC is cheaper and can be far more effective in causing casualties- and once it fires off once in the magic phase and again in the shooting phase, your opponent is likely to put thr same dispel dice towards it that he would have saved for the CoS, so it supports your magic phase nearly the same.

Morglum5780
14-01-2009, 14:19
Ok. I've readjusted my army based on some info I've gotten here:

tomb prince on chariot w/ light armor, shield, spear of anthak, vanbraces of the sun

lich priest w/ collar of shapesh, hjertic jar

lich priest w/ cloak of dunes, plauqe of incantations

12 bowmen

12 bowmen

30 spearmen w/ light armor, shield, command

scorpion

7 chariots w/ mirage standard

4 tomb swarms

4 carrion

SSC

I could probably trim enough pts from many of the units to squeeze in 3 ustabi, but im not sure if that would be such a good idea.
what do you guys thin?

Godswildcard
14-01-2009, 14:29
Ushabti tend to be hit or miss based on the person running them. On the one hand, a unit of 3 ushabti can very easily kill just about anything (I've got dragons and greater demons under my belt) on the charge, which you shouldn't have much trouble getting off . On the other hand, some people claim that they attract to much attention and hardly justify their points. They are very dependant on the charge, b/c if they are charged, they will probably get combat res'd to death.

IMO, I never create a list without them. People tend to fear them as much as the scorpion.

Another downside to them, you really need to keep one of your liche priest near them just to tend to them. I always used the cloak of the dunes and the heiratic jar for this, just to ensure I could get that vital charge off. If run right they are nasty. If you don't run them often, just leave them off and go with something you're more comfortable with.

Pacha
14-01-2009, 14:46
I could probably trim enough pts from many of the units to squeeze in 3 ustabi, but im not sure if that would be such a good idea. what do you guys thin?

I'd drop the spears and get the Skulls of the Foe upgrade on the SSC. As mentioned, skeletons really really suck at killing *anything* and the extra attacks you get from the spears is very rarely worth it. The extra -1 from the SotF would seem like a better investment to me - especially with only hero level LD to worry about.

Morglum5780
14-01-2009, 17:06
i have the sotf upgrade, it just forgot to put it on the list.