PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos Vs The Pope Mobile

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 11:48
After defeating the Daemonic minions of Christophus, Exalted Sorcerer of the Lord of Pleasure, Sriahdcat, led his minions south to rape and pillage in Slaanesh’s name. They moved through the troll country and engaged a tribe of Tzeentchian Beastmen, then moved on to face a dwarven mining community, and then through the plains of Kislev into the empire.
After engaging a rogue element of the Sylvanians, they met up with the cavalcade of the Ostland High Priest of Sigmar.

The Lists:

Sriahdcat: Exalted Sorcerer of Slaanesh, Lvl 4, General, barded steed, MoS, Biting Blade, Power Familiar, Collar of Subservience (Khorne,) Soporific Musk, Dispel Scroll.

Exalted Champion of Slaanesh, Barded Steed, Sword of Might, Shield, MoS

Sorcerer of Slaanesh, Lvl 2, Chariot, Co-joined Homunculus, Dispel Scroll, MoS

5 Marauder horsemen: MoS, Flails, Musician

5 Marauder horsemen: MoS, Flails, Musician

5 Marauder horsemen: MoS, Spears, shields, Musician

6 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Knights of Pleasure: Full command, MoS, Rapturous Standard

5 Knights of Pleasure: Full Command, MoS

Spawn

Spawn

Warshrine

Empire List:

High Priest of Sigmar, Pope mobile, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Speculum, Great Weapon

Battle Wizard, Lvl 2, Fire, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Barded Steed

Warrior Priest, Barded steed

Captain on Pegasus: Pistol, Lance, Shield, Ring of Burning Head

5 Knights, Full Command

20 Halberdiers, Full Command, shields

Detachment: 8 Free Co.

Detachment: 5 Huntsmen

10 Hand gunners, Marksman with Hochland

5 Outriders

5 Pistoliers with outrider

Cannon

Cannon

STank (piece of cardboard with STank written upon it.)

Pre-Game Thoughts: Well, I’ve never faced a STank and Altar list, but I did some quick reading and realized that from a magic defense perspective, I was already in trouble. He had at least 4 bound spells, and I anticipated the fire ring as well, which meant 5 bound spells at 4s or 5s. I only had 5 dispel dice and 2 scrolls, so magic and prayers were going to be a risk. I know how to deal with handgunners, and cannons, but the outriders have me a bit worried as they are fast cav, and therefore have 360 LOS. Still, I should be able to avoid the tank for most of the game if I feed it hounds or spawns.

DEPLOYMENT:

The Empire (deployed from left to right) Handgunners, Cannon, STank, Halberdiers with Battle Mage, Free Co, Popemobile, Captain on Peg, Outriders, Knights with Warrior Priest, Pistoliers, Huntsmen.

The Warriors arrayed against them: Marauder Horse with spears and shields, Sorcerer on Chariot behind, Marauder horse with flails, Hounds, Hounds with Knights and Exalted behind, Warshrine, Spawn, Hounds with Rap Standard and Sorcerer Lord behind, Marauder Horse with Flails, Spawn.

Turn One:
The Empire moved slightly forward except handgunners, outriders and cannons. Magic phase was uneventful, and shooting phase resulted in a single dead marauder horseman. Chaos also surged forward, eager to get to grips with the soft pinkskins. Magic phase was un-eventful as well except for the death of two handgunners to a lash of Slaanesh. The Warshrine gave MR 3 to the Exalted’s Knights.

Turn Two:

The STank and Altar charged their respective units of hounds, who predictably ran. The knights had no decent charge so shifted a bit as did the Halberdiers and Free Co. The Captain on Peg moved to get LOS on the Shrine, and the Pistoliers moved up to shoot at the Spawn. The Empire magic phase was completely shut down, and the shooting phase saw the destruction of the chariot, the Outriders slaughtered a unit of hounds, but no damage to anything else (handgunners rolled abysmally.) Chaos was ready to do what it does best. The Knights with exalted charged the Altar, as did the Spawn; the Marauder horse charged respectively, the handgunners, the cannon, and the huntsmen; the Sorcerer’s Knights charged the Empire Knights and Priest, thanks to the removal of the hound obstacle; the other Spawn charged the Pistoliers, who fled just a little to far and ran into the Chaos Knights and were destroyed. Both units of hounds managed to rally on their own leadership. Magic saw lash of Slaanesh remove a rank from the halberdiers, and brought the outriders forward to chase fleeting glory (Titilating Delusions is still my favorite spell of the game.) Close combat saw off the cannon crew, the huntsmen, the knights, and the handgunners. Stupidly, I forgot about the speculum and allowed the exalted to accept the challenge. Had I remembered that thing, I’d have hit him with the unit champ, whoohoo, big deal, the Priest would have had three attacks at S4 and WS 5, and my champion would have had three attacks at WS 5 and S4. But noooo, not me, I had to be Chaos and accept with the exalted. Obviously, the fight with the altar would be going for a while.

Turn Three:

The STank moved forward a bit, as did the remaining infantry. The Peg Captain came around by the building to try to get a shot off at the sorcerer, and the Outriders rode forward towards their respective delusions. The STank shot its steam cannon at the hounds resulting in one slightly damp and smelly chaos hound, and overshot with its cannon. The remaining cannon fired grapeshot at the Sorcerer’s knights, killing three of them (ouch!) Close Combat was indecisive, but the Exalted managed to actually wound the priest. Tragically, there were no charges available for Chaos, so they maneuvered into appropriate positions, and the spawn fell one inch short of the outriders. Magic was sort of successful as the cannon crew was frenzied and the halberdiers were lashed yet again, but this time only taking two casualties. CC was still ongoing between the exalted and the Priest, with no gains made either way.

Turn Four:

The STank charged the hounds, who, not surprisingly fled again. The frenzied cannon crew charged the marauder horsemen, the halberdiers and free company reformed to face their greatest threat, and the outriders halted and prepared to fire. Magic saw the cleansing fire (or whatever that stupid spell is) kill the spawn and three chaos knights in contact with the altar, but everything else was shut down. The outriders let lose on the spawn and slaughtered it, while the STank steamed the hounds again, and the Captain shot at the Sorcerer. In CC, the Cannon crew was defeated and run down by the marauder horse, and the exalted was finally killed by the high Priest. Two units of marauder horse attempted to charge the Free Company, who fled, causing the first unit to fail its charge, and blocking a redirect from the second, while the War Altar charged the High Priest. The other Marauder horse charged the flank of the halberdiers, the Sorcerer entered the building to get away from the Peg Captain, and the hounds rallied yet again. CC saw another chaos Knight killed, and another wound on the Priest, and one on the altar, but still not enough, while the Marauder horse killed three halberdiers and took no wounds in return, but the halberds stubbornly refused to flee.

Turn Five:

With nothing to do, the STank milled around a bit, ready to steam the hounds yet again, the Free Company continued to flee, and the Peg Captain decided that hounds were an easier target than a holed up Sorcerer. Magic was again unsuccessful as the mage failed to cast, the High Priest healed a wound on himself, and the other bound spells were dispelled. Shooting came in the form of a barrage from the outriders wiping out a full unit of Marauder Horse, the Captain killed a hound, and the steam cannon finally killed a hound as well. CC saw the end of the Exalted’s Chaos Knights, but another wound on the Altar, it would be down to 4+ ward save vs 4+ ward save in the center, and the halberdiers chased the marauder horsemen away from their flank. The Chaos Knights then charged the Halberdiers rear, while the Marauder horse chased after the Free Company, and the steam cooked hounds charged the altar. The Fleeing Horsemen failed to rally and ran off. No magic was attempted as there was little that could be afected, and the Knights slaughtered the Halberds and Battle Mage to a man. The Hounds were killed by the high Priest, and the Chaos Altar was run down as it tried to get away.

Turn Six saw the Free Company Rally, only to be charged and killed by the Marauder horsemen and Sorcerer, while the Peg Captain charged and slaughtered the last few hounds.

The end result to this whole thing was a very hard fought draw, with the Empire player ahead by 76 points. It was really a good game, with two well painted and fairly well played armies. Basically we had a blast, though it was touch and go there for a bit. If I had done a few things differently, I could have pulled of a win, but I am happy with the draw as I did do some things very wrong. Go Chaos!!!

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 11:49
OK, I needed to add the last two slides, so here they are.

Arguleon-veq
13-01-2009, 12:21
Cool game, you did well to nullify that Steam Tank almost completely. I think a draw is a good result against that list.

Draconian77
13-01-2009, 13:20
I liked that report although you shamelessly fill all 3 core requirments with Marauder Horse? For, well, shame I suppose!

I don't care to be honest as your list looks pretty themed and includes Spawn which I love but everyone else seems to hate...

Pope Mobiles are just sickeningly resilient, especially if you forget about the Speculum...

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 13:35
I liked that report although you shamelessly fill all 3 core requirments with Marauder Horse? For, well, shame I suppose!

I don't care to be honest as your list looks pretty themed and includes Spawn which I love but everyone else seems to hate...

Pope Mobiles are just sickeningly resilient, especially if you forget about the Speculum...

I like my fast attack army:angel:

Yeah I completely forgot the speculum, and worse than that forgot the Armor of meteoric Iron in conjunction, a 1+/4+ save combo was particularly nasty. The most fun I had was playing peek-a-boo with a 300 point monstrosity that effectively killed 12 points the entire game.

I miss my older Slaanesh Spawn, I would gladly trade ASF for 3D6 Movement. Oh well.

As for all cav, well, its a valid option, and one more suited to my play-style. I like fast MSU, and the horsemen (and women, my favorite conversion unit) meet the requirements quite well. If I field a 3000 or more point list I have a lot of infantry, so consider this Kurgan raiding party as the outriders for the greater army.

3Xhume
13-01-2009, 13:36
@Draconian77 : I think that it was fair to bring the best of WoC list up against the best of Empire. Before you call shame or lame, find what his opponent list too. So i guess they both even things out.

Draconian77
13-01-2009, 14:49
I would argue that thats not close to the Empires "best"(Meaning: Beardiest correct?) build.

Its not a weak list but its not a cheese-fest either!

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 15:01
Please gentlemen, this is a Batrep, not a discussion of cheese or power gaming armies. As far as I am concerned, the official party line is, there is no more cheese. A themed Daemon army is cheesy, a VC army is CHeesy, an HE army with 2 units of 10 Archers, 2 White lions, 2 SMs, 2 DP, and 4 bolt throwers is cheesy, Karl Franz and 2 STanks is Cheesy, yes we've all heard it over and over again, but the reality is there is no more cheese. There are power builds, but these are perfectly legitimate according to the lords of the ivory tower. My goal is to fight and win against the truly powerful builds, using what I feel to be an effective force that meets the way I play (I play MSU, fast attack.) This was considered acceptable with the last book because it was all Slaanesh, so I would consider it acceptable because it is still the same basic list, and still mono-god dedicated.

Malorian
13-01-2009, 15:07
STank (piece of cardboard with STank written upon it.)

I'm a pretty laid back guy, but even I wouldn't have let this slide. Does he plan to get it soon? Has he been doing this for a while?

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 15:26
He has the model and it is under construction. The entire army on the table minus a few odd models here and there is marvelously painted, with snow, sand and static grass bases. He even clumped some snow in appropriate locations on the War Altar. This was the second game he had used the tank, so its still a proxy thing, but I was able to see the work in progress on the tank, and willingly allowed the proxy.

Malorian
13-01-2009, 15:31
Ok, just making sure it wasn't a 'Lets be a jerk and pull a stank on ol'briohmar even though I'm not willing to buy one' thing.

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 15:37
Now the lizardmen player who's been using a piece of cardboard to represent his stegadon for the last 4 months is a different case, but the gaming group here is rather interesting, painting is generally done to a minimum, (my four armies, and a couple of others being the noticable exceptions) proxies are allowed in nearly all cases, the group is tournament oriented (which fails to explain the lack of painting, I know) so lists are made hard, though not necessarily unbeatable, (except, of course for the Bloodthirster of Tzeentch list that Andre plays (No 5 overall in Belgium right now, I think we need more soft score tourneys.))

orkz222
13-01-2009, 17:11
Nice batrep, very aggressive WOC u run there.

STank (piece of cardboard with STank written upon it.) :D

SevenSins
13-01-2009, 19:11
a hard fought draw, these often make for the best games in my opinion.
I like your fast themed list, pics of it?

Briohmar
13-01-2009, 19:32
I have various pictures out there, but I'll see if I can pull some together. Here's a few teasers from Photobucket:

Some Chaos Knights: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/KnightsandFiend.jpg

The other Chaos Knights: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/wargames006-1.jpg

The Chickas (Marauder Horsewomen): http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/wargames005.jpg

One version of the army lined up to fight: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/004.jpg and http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/003-1.jpg

Peegore
13-01-2009, 21:45
Enjoyed that batrep Briohmar. And up to turn 4, you certainly seemed to be in an excellent position. I thought you were going to nail the game in fact ( especially when looking at the map images turn by turn )

As, for the army theme, I think it looks and ( from the evidence of this batrep ) plays well. Good on ya!

Shimmergloom
13-01-2009, 23:05
I'm a pretty laid back guy, but even I wouldn't have let this slide. Does he plan to get it soon? Has he been doing this for a while?

I would have at least wanted a chariot base or 2 50mm bases or something to represent it. I actually usually bring some extra bases in case someone needs one to represent something.

In the short term I would not care if they proxied like that. Over the long term, I'd want some sort of model to represent it(even if it's a toy tank) and for it to be on the proper base.

EvC
13-01-2009, 23:28
Good report, bit of a nailbiter! I played a very similar Empire army recently, there's nowt you can really do to combat the Tank and Altar. I had hoped to charge the Altar with my Knights, it's the only way to do it, making sure there's no champ or hero in combat on the charge.

selone
13-01-2009, 23:59
It does seem a bit whacky having an excellently painted army but using a piece of cardboard. I am no golden demon painter and even find sticking black orcs together difficult but even i wouldn't use a piece of cardboard for a big model ;)
Thanks for the report :)

SevenSins
14-01-2009, 10:40
some nice conversions there, particularly liked those slaneshified steeds

Briohmar
14-01-2009, 12:05
@ Orkz222: It is not that its an aggressive list, and I actually don't play it as such. To me an aggressive list implies a broadsword approach, whereas I tend to fight with a rapier, I don't hit nearly as hard, and I won't chop you in half, but I'll have you bleeding in a dozen places. I sort of call this my scalpel list, as I have to be extremely careful with it, or I get torn apart.

@ Peegore: Thanks, it does play well, but as I said, it is definitely a scalpel and not a cleaver.

@ EvC: I won't make that mistake again, believe me. I had actually hoped to use the S6 Exalted and his 11 Att S5 Knights on the tank. I have always thought that I could take one down completely if I hit it with the right unit, but it would take some time to do, and I'd have to keep some re-directors around to protect them from a flank or rear.

@ Sevensins: Thanks mate. I got a bits lot on ebay once for like 20 bucks that has been huge in making my army look better. The lot had 10 Necromunda Mutie Steed heads and tails, 20 of the older chaos sorcerer's swords (the really cool ones with like three hilts each) and the majority of a doombull as well as some other stuff. The long and short of it is I used the mutie parts with older Bretonnian steeds to make the chaos mounts, I also have two for my other chariot, and 1 for my BSB (neither of which played in this fight.)

Archis
15-01-2009, 02:10
Fun battle by the sounds of things, I really like the theme of your list