PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing Flare into Combat

Granitearm
13-01-2009, 20:15
Was playing a game against daemons the other day, and managed to get cleansing flare (enemy units in 12" take hits) off in a portion of the battlefield that was very crowded with close combat.

My opponent said I needed to randomise between units, since the spell says distributed as per shooting attacks. I thought this was kind of lame, so I looked it up. All I could find regarding randomisation was for template weapons hitting combats.

We played it that the daemons bore the full brunt of the spell, with no randomisation.

So did we do it right?

Nationalmaverick
13-01-2009, 20:51
Randomisation means you can't target specific models in a unit.

EVERY unit within 12" takes the damage from the spell.

Necromancy Black
13-01-2009, 21:18
Randomisation means you can't target specific models in a unit.

EVERY unit within 12" takes the damage from the spell.

Every enemy unit in 12" inches takes the hits. These hits are then randomised for each unit.

So say you got 3 units with 6, 6 and 4 hits. One unit takes 6, one takes 6 and the lat one takes 4. Now, if there are 5 or more rank and file models in each unit then there is no need to randomise.

But if there are less then 5 rank and file models in one of those units, and a character is part of that unit, you would roll the hits allocated on that unit to see which ones hit the character and which ones hit the unit.

Also, the wording of Clensing Flare says randomised as shooting. So it's basically the same as hitting each unit with D6 shooting attacks then working out the wounds.

Bac5665
13-01-2009, 22:12
The OP is asking if he needs to distribute some of the hits to his own units, when in combat, like when a warmachine drifts into combat.

You do not need to do this in any way for Cleansing flare. It only affects enemy units no matter what. Your opponent was just mistaken.

Dokushin
15-01-2009, 17:37
In case he gives you trouble about it again, the business about hitting both units in close combat only applies to templated weapons, because those are normally the only weapons that can hit units in CC. There is no 'shooting' rule that makes an exception for CC, just a stipulation that shooting can't be targeted at units in CC. For magic, it's just telling you that you randomize hits if there are <5 models, to see if you hit a character.

Malorian
15-01-2009, 17:52
Did this deamon player use to play skaven purhaps?

Necromancy Black
15-01-2009, 21:31
The OP is asking if he needs to distribute some of the hits to his own units, when in combat, like when a warmachine drifts into combat.

You do not need to do this in any way for Cleansing flare. It only affects enemy units no matter what. Your opponent was just mistaken.

Ah right, was mistaken and missed the point :p Guess I didn't see that mening because I know Clensing Flare will not affect friendly models.