PDA

View Full Version : 7e lizards: skink chief on steg firing giant bow?

Wrathiel
14-01-2009, 05:39
So I got a few games in at the local GW, and I am trying to figure out if a skink chief riding a regular stegadon (a regadon?) can use his superior BS to fire the giant bow.

we looked through the rules and didnt find anything saying he specifically couldent.

thanks in advance!

Necromancy Black
14-01-2009, 05:44
Check out the BRB pages on Warmachines and look for the heading for characters. It states that characters can not operate warmachines, only the crew, unless specificly stated otherwise.

So no, no using the skink chiefs BS.

Sifal
14-01-2009, 09:42
in the new lizardmen book it also specifically states that the bow (or 2 giant blow pipes) are operated by two skink crew.

Condottiere
14-01-2009, 10:03
Giant blow pipes? The mind boggles at the possible imagery. You'd have to admire skink lung capacity.

No, unless they issued that chief an engineering degree or he successfully completed his apprenticeship as a mechanic, it's unlikely that the Union would permit him to operate heavy equipment.

Sifal
14-01-2009, 10:08
the giant blow pipes are silly, (2d6 poison shots each, there are two on an ancient stegadon) they are about five feet long and have a single skink blowing them. why not ditch the crappy 2x multiple shot (not actually crappy) and give every skink skirmisher one of them.

Griefbringer
14-01-2009, 10:20
Giant blow pipes? Now that explains those strange widgets I saw in the pictures.

Though having a regular skink blowing them sounds a bit odd.

Ophidian
14-01-2009, 11:30
the skink rider isn't trying to run around protecting his squishy T2 body at the same time as firing the giant blowpipe.

Dokushin
14-01-2009, 13:20
Just as an observation -- I don't think it ever says the Giant Bow is a war machine, and the Skink Chief "replaces" one of the crew.

Ward.
14-01-2009, 13:28
Giant blow pipes? The mind boggles at the possible imagery. You'd have to admire skink lung capacity.

You'd have to admire the ability to use one at all without lips.

Delmont
14-01-2009, 19:30
they curl their tongue around the ends to get a seal. It works I tell you! I swear!

Condottiere
14-01-2009, 20:55
they curl their tongue around the ends to get a seal. It works I tell you! I swear!
Fascinating possibilities.

Necromancy Black
14-01-2009, 22:06
Just as an observation -- I don't think it ever says the Giant Bow is a war machine, and the Skink Chief "replaces" one of the crew.

A) have fun arguing it's not a warmachine, and if the rules says it counts or works as a bolt thrower your boned

B) a Empire hero could "replace" a member of the cannon crew, but unless he has a speacil rule saying you can use his BS to shoot with it's still no advantige to you.

Sifal
15-01-2009, 01:48
Giant Bow is not listed as a warmachine. However is does say operated by 'two skink crew' and 'skink crew' have their own specific statline with BS. It does also say, 'the giant bow penetrates ranks in the same manner as a bolt thrower, see BRB etc..'
Skink chiefs can also only be mounted (if i remember correctly) on an ancient stegadon that has two giant blowpipes instead of a giant bow but it might only be priests that HAVE to have the ancient stegadon.......can't rememeber, not getting out of bed to find out.

blackjack
15-01-2009, 02:54
Skink chiefs get an anchient steg with blow pipes not the giant bow. I don't think he can get the bow.

Wrathiel
15-01-2009, 05:35
a skink chief can be mounted on either a regadon or a ancientdon.

but it sounds like the chief cant operate the giant bow, which makes me sad.

Lordmonkey
15-01-2009, 07:08
I am trying to figure out if a skink chief riding a regular stegadon (a regadon?)

Hehehe...

You know how you can see something that's funny, but not too funny, yet you giggle about it for hours? :D

Hehehe...

foehammer888
15-01-2009, 11:00
A) have fun arguing it's not a warmachine, and if the rules says it counts or works as a bolt thrower your boned I think this one is actually in the clear.

It gives the weapon a range and a profile (range 36in, S5, D3 wounds) and then says it penetrates ranks like a bolt thrower. Nothing in that directly links it with being a warmachine. If they said "the giant bow fires as a bolt thrower" then there might be an argument.

Several magic items (spears and bows) have that same ability (penetrating ranks like a bolt thrower) but taking them does not make a character a war machine, or prevent him from moving and shooting.

It would be like saying since the flame cannon uses the flame template, and its a warmachine, then all units which use the flame template are war machines.

Sifal
16-01-2009, 01:31
it's not a warmachine as such but still can't be used by a character. the stegadon can move and shoot though.

Condottiere
16-01-2009, 03:25
On the face of it, it seems a little confusing.

However, it appears that LMAB7 might be an interesting read, as long as the rules remain clear.

Wrathiel
16-01-2009, 03:48
after looking through the book again, I think the chief can use the box.

the only point of consternation is that (loosely quoting) it takes 2 crew to fire the bow.

the chief is part of the crew is he not? otherwise, the steg will have to roll on the monster reaction table if the 4 skinks with him die....

I expect it will be faq'ed one way or another, but I really think he can use his BS to fire it.

Condottiere
16-01-2009, 04:10
I just had to laugh ... issuing a FAQ before the official release of the book.

Sifal
16-01-2009, 14:38
'If taken as a character mount then one of the crew is displaced by the character'

'1-4 hits the beast, 5 hits the crew, 6 hits the character. If there is no character, 1-4 hits the beast, 5-6 hits the crew.'

'If the mount is killed, then the skink crew are killed too as they are crushed beneath the falling body. However, any character may continue to fight on foot'

'It takes two crew to fire to fire a giant bow'

These are all quotes from Stegadon page. The skink chief is not one of the crew just displaces one nd it says 'crew' fire the bow, doesn't get treated the same as them for randomising hits and doesn't die when stegadon dies. For these reasons I think it would be long stretch of the imagination to allow the chief to fire the bow, as well as the fact that you don't pay for the giant bow as an equipment item for the skink chief.

also obviously it says it takes 'two' crew to fire the giant bow. so the chief can't fire it by himself. you would then have BS5 and BS3. this does not work.

Wrathiel
16-01-2009, 15:04
bah, that does make a lot of sense.

Dokushin
16-01-2009, 15:09
Man, it really sounds like no BS5 bolt thrower for us (sigh) guess we'll have to make do with hitting on 5's/6's... good thing it's on a terror-causing monster chariot :D

Sifal
16-01-2009, 15:23
only consolation is a 3xmultiple shot str5 short bow for 35 points

Condottiere
16-01-2009, 17:44
And the rules do so say that if a crew consists of two members, if one is lost, the other can fire as normal.

Sifal
17-01-2009, 02:35
where does it say that? in BRB for warmachines? is it not fire every other turn? Giant bow isn't technically a warmachine.

Condottiere
17-01-2009, 05:56
The BRB, as far as I recall, when they mention that a war machine with under half its complement (three) can only fire every other turn, but makes an exception for those whose starting number is two.