PDA

View Full Version : Build up to the 2009 GT

ShotAtDawn
14-01-2009, 07:47
Tuesday 13th January

Well with nearly a week to go till the Lord of the Rings GT 2008 ive got around to nailing down my forces that I will use (well kind of). Instead of going to the GT and trying to win or even finish in the top half I have picked a scene form the book and picked my two forces around it. The theme for both forces is..... Amon Hen.

So my good force should be :-

Argorn
Gimli
Boromir
Legolas
Pippin
Merry
Frodo
Sam

While my evil is where the problem comes in, The idea was to include Varsku, but I decided that he wont fit in to the theme that well(apart from being in the Scouts of Isengrad list). So remebering that I had a Severed head remaining from the mordor troll spure, I decided to convert a two handed weapon captian to replace Varsku. So the loss of fire power I make up for with a cool conversion. So the Evil list subject to more made ideas is :-

Lurtz
Ugluk
Captian
20 Uruk Hai Scouts Swords and Shields
16 Uruk Hai Scouts Swords
19 Uruk Hai Scouts Bow
Uruk Hai Scout Banner

697pts

At the moment I have been able to paint 45 of the Uruk Hai Scouts in juast over a week to what I think
is a good wargamming standard, meaning now I need paint the all Good army and 14 Evil in 9 days which at the rate Ive been paint should be easliy done. Then the next challage will be to make an objective marker. Even though I don't need one for the GT I want to make one to make the theme of my army standout. The Current plan for the marker is dieing Boromir after he has been shot at Amon Hen. Will I have time for this good knows, but I will deffantly give it a shot. Then I will be using my breaks at work to produce an army booklet explaining the theme etc for that extra coolness and would at as an lasting reminder of the 2009 GT.

So till next time bye *Waves*

lotrchampion
14-01-2009, 11:03
Already posted this in the GT Questions thread, but for posterity....

Good:
Legolas w/ Elven Cloak
23 Wood Elves w/ Throwing Weapons
23 Wood Elves w/ Spear
23 Wood Elves w/ Bow

70 models
3 Might
24-26 shots per turn
50%=35 models, 25%=17 models

Evil:
The Dark Marshall w/ Horse
Shade
Durburz
24 Goblin Prowlers w/ Shield
24 Goblins w/ Spear
24 Goblins w/ Bow

75 models
5 Might
24 shots per turn
50%=37 models, 25%=18 models

Both fairly large, both still needing about 2/3rds painted. However, the Wood Elves may be undergoing a last minute list change, depending on the result of practice games. I'll probably decide in the queue on saturday morning...:D

I have a good friend following a similar theme to you, albeit slightly more competitive. I believe in his lists, Aragorn has Anduril, he doesn't have all the Hobbits (not Sam and Frodo I believe), and the Evil list has Vrasku instead of the Captain, plus a different mix of troops.

Personally I would be inclined to kit all your Uruks out with shields if they don't have bows-its not a hard conversion, just grab some plasticard, cut some rough oblong shapes and score lines down them, to represent crude wooden shields. Pretty nice effect too-I used the Citadel Washes to paint mine, and the Badab Black over the scored surface really gives it depth.

Is this your first GT out of interest, or are you a seasoned veteran?

On a final note, if you see a short bloke with a trilby hat and a TheLastAlliance t-shirt on, come over and say hi. :)

Good luck!

ShotAtDawn
15-01-2009, 11:04
Hehe James the armies are nearly the same becuase its me George. The shield thing doesnt bother me because I can squeeze more numbers in to my force.

Wednesday 14th January

While painting Uruk Hai till 11pm last night I got thinking again about my good force this time. First off decided to drop Frodo seeing that at Amon Hen he did more running than fighting. I Then toyed with the idea of dropping Sam for the same reason though after alot of thinking I kept him in. The Thought was he would be searching around for Frodo so he would have been at the site of the Ambursh abit longer than Frodo. Another insteresting thing that come up was what Aragorn to use? Would I use the Followship list verision with Anduril or go for the Isildur's Heir. I still havent decided because I can see a benefit in both of them. Followship will help alot with combat with his 4+ wounding or Isildur's the human banner for Gimli and legolas that will allow them to move though the woods on the boards with ease. Either way the whole force will be kitted with elven cloaks.

So the plan at the moment is atleast 5 Uruks a day with should get my evil finished for the weekend(If I can find a box of Uruk's I a GW store). Then it will be full steam head with the Hobbits which should take me Saturday all being well. Then 4 days to do the objective marker(Hehe Rewatched the FoTR to get idea last night while paint),Aragorn, Legolas,Boromir and Gimli. So that should be me finish on Thrusday ready to travel to Nottingham on the Friday morning ready for a day of warm up games.

Though the plan to paint 5 didn't go to plan today I ended up painting 2 normal scouts and Lurtz meaning I am behind, and to make matters worst I am going out on Thrusday night for a birthday. So this weekend I will be very busy catching up.

Top tips for Tournements

Top tip for Travel lodge uses for tournments never use the book mutliple night option because you get ripped off. What you should do is book each night seperatly so that you get the offer on both nights. Doing this I saved nearly 50. Another tip is to share with someone else that is going that you know. This way you can split the cost even more depending on the number of people sharing last year I share a room with two people meaning I ended up with a third of the cost.

lotrchampion
15-01-2009, 22:28
LOLZ! Hey Geo, you had me fooled there. Didn't know you were on Warseer! I feel Mr Silly now....:D

Personally, I reckon you should go with Anduril-insurance vs Mumakil, Dragons and, to a lesser extent, Sauron.

See you at WHW next friday. :)

Joewrightgm
15-01-2009, 23:36
Well, according to the books, Aragorn has Anduril from Rivendell on, correct? what better to chop through some bad dudes than that?

ShotAtDawn
20-01-2009, 07:58
After a busy weekend paint I am down to the last 3 Uruk-hai and Aragorn to finish the main forces. Will still need to base the all the model:P.

So what I will be doing today is convert a two handed captain and the standard bearer, Then start basing the evil force and if I have time start the Boromir maker. Only 3 nights painting to go, then hotel painting.

lotrchampion
20-01-2009, 09:40
Nice work-you going to post some pics of the Fellowship so the nice folks can see them? They are rather fabulamous.

I have 35 Wood Elves and 22 Goblins to go, plus I'm still waiting for Galadriel (should arrive today). Going to get the Wood Elves sprayed up and try and get as many as I can done this afternoon/evening.

Yay last minute rushs! :D

ShotAtDawn
20-01-2009, 11:12
lol I cant take pictures to save my life the last pic of them didnt turn out that good. Hope that some at the Gt with picture taking skills will take one for me.

The problem I have had is atm work getting busy thanks to student exams and end of vaction book returns to the library. Plus training new staff while trying to do my own tasks on top of it. So when I get back I am forcing myself to paint, not the most fun thing to do. But the benefit is I have ARMIES!!!!, welll an Army and a Fellowship.

Hope the Galadriel turns up today. Else you need to do a ukRocky with the Mumkil:P

On the plus side I have all of Friday off and only 18hrs of work till then.

Godswildcard
20-01-2009, 12:33
Yeah. Fluff wise you could very much use Anduril. Aragorn gets her upon leaving Rivendell in the books!

ShotAtDawn
20-01-2009, 20:55
Quick update with pictures of my Converted Uruk-Hai command

Uruk-hai Command (http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0014yr3.jpg)

ShotAtDawn
26-01-2009, 11:07
Well what a weekend. I started the weekend with a win in game 1 and then had to wait till the last game of the weekend to get another one, but I had one hell of the time. (Ill try and write up somekind of report for the event... It mostly involves Dragons and Sauron eating up hobbits:P)

Plus I got a nomination for the best armies ..... seeing that they were finished less than 2hrs before the event started I was surprised.

Insane Psychopath
27-01-2009, 17:44
Plus I got a nomination for the best armies ..... seeing that they were finished less than 2hrs before the event started I was surprised.

My friend just return from the LotR GT there & had a great time. He spoke of your army & said he vote for it on the painting front. Also hear Adam the games dev was up for painting as well.

He should have photos up some point this week (busy with work), though not sure if he a memeber of warseer, but I'll link them.

IP

ShotAtDawn
27-01-2009, 18:02
Yep Adam Troke was up for the Best Army again. Think the winning army was a great looking Dragon and spider queen army. If you friend has photos of the army I would love to get hold of them and would be very greatful.

lotrchampion
27-01-2009, 18:59
I'm not 100%, but I think yours were the only non-staffers nominated. Eddie Eccles, Adam Troke and Nick Bayton were up there, and I'm not sure about the other two, but I did hear they were staffers. So well done!

Kain Total40k
27-01-2009, 19:29
Dragon thanks you for the meal of hobbits Geo, but Boromir got stuck in his teeth!

K

Railgunner
27-01-2009, 21:51
I'm not 100%, but I think yours were the only non-staffers nominated. Eddie Eccles, Adam Troke and Nick Bayton were up there, and I'm not sure about the other two, but I did hear they were staffers. So well done!

In the GT is it both your good and evil that get nominated? Or just one of your armies? One of my friends got nominated, he had Arnor w/ Hobbits and Goblins with Spectres, Shade and other stuff.

RG

ShotAtDawn
27-01-2009, 21:54
Both forces get judged. Hehe Your friends army was on the Table next to mine and it looked great.

lotrchampion
27-01-2009, 21:55
Both of them. I believe I know the army that got nominated, which (presuming your friend isn't staff) would mean more than 1 non-staff got nominated. :)

I came out of the weekend with 25th place, respectable, and only lost to 1st and 2nd place (unfortunate draws really...). Good weekend, and after taking fairly competitive armies to it, I'm looking forward to being more relaxed at Finland GT.

Railgunner
27-01-2009, 22:25
Yep he's non staff. Did you guys by any chance get to see his spectres with were made to look like they were actually in the dead marshes?

RG

ShotAtDawn
28-01-2009, 07:48
Yep he's non staff. Did you guys by any chance get to see his spectres with were made to look like they were actually in the dead marshes?

RG

Yep the Spectres were great. The marsh bases were perfect for the theme.

Oberon
28-01-2009, 15:31
So, who won? Was it Vesa again or someone else? :o
EDIT: nevermind, got mildly interested and spied the results from TLA. I'm quite shocked I can tell you.

Xarius
08-02-2009, 13:53
Yep Adam Troke was up for the Best Army again. Think the winning army was a great looking Dragon and spider queen army. If you friend has photos of the army I would love to get hold of them and would be very greatful.

yeah that army is amazing its a guy i know from up here in glasgow, he's a staffer now and gutted he cant defend his conflict lotr champion title!