PDA

View Full Version : Rare Armies

Crowned
14-01-2009, 15:47
Hi there, I'm looking to get back into the hobby, in my early teens I was a pretty dedicated Eldar collector, I had over 3000pts of them all painted to (in my childish eyes :p) perfection.

The problem I'm now facing as I'm planning my first trip back to the Middlesbrough GW Store on Saturday after 6 years is what army to play, I dabbled in Tau right before I stopped playing and they were somewhat cool but the Kroot aspect really put me off (no offense to any of you Kroot lovers), it sort of took away from the cleanly, newly birthed feel to the Empire.

Anyway, I'm self admittedly totally OCD, and that poses a problem for me in army selection, I hate seeing other players with a carbon copy of my army, or even a few other players in the same place playing my army, I know it sounds rediculous and I'm well aware it's unavoidable anyway but I'd like to dampen the damage so to speak :p I'm also very loyal to which ever army I choose, I won't be faltering after I select one, so it's important for me to get it right first time.

I'm wondering in your guys' eyes what the rarest armies are, at your local store, at other stores, at tournaments etc, what do you not see pop up much if at all?

It was a dream of mine before I quit to create a Harlequin army, and I was a bit sad when I came back and saw they'd been attached to the Eldar.

I'm not so much concerned about their general battlefield performance, I think 40k has enough freedom to achieve against the odds if you're prepared to take enough beatings to understand why you suck, I'm just looking for some armies you'd consider rare.

I understand the replies will be biased because army popularity can vary greatly between local stores, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

So, what's popular, what's not!

Thanks a lot!

The Base
14-01-2009, 15:53
Dark Eldar are probably the rarest over all, and getting more so as no on is starting them for like the past year based on the rumors that they will get an update soon.

Hicks
14-01-2009, 15:54
Amongst the rarest you would find radical inquisition armies, but that's mostly because they are underpowered and very expensive.

Mostly, if you avoid Orks, Chaos Marines, Eldars, Tau, Tyranids and Space Marines, you shouldn't fight mirror matches too often.

spaint2k
14-01-2009, 15:54
I've never seen an Eldar Exodite army.

Of course, if you've got the kind of attention span I've got, you'll buy all the stuff you need and then get bored waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Having lost your enthusiasm for the project, you'll turn to something else.

Steve

Vampiric16
14-01-2009, 15:57
Some IG variants like vostroyans are quite rare, but IG armies are reasonably common. Orks are very popular, as are marines. A csm legion army (World eaters, Iron warriors etc) is now rare and could be a lot of fun to use and model. Not once have I faced a tau or SoB player at my local club, i dont know if that is a global trend though. Nids are quite common, but they offer great scope for customising your own army.
I really cant say for sure on this one. All armies can be made unique and have your own personal touch.

Souleater
14-01-2009, 15:59
Rarest armies are probably Dark Eldar, and pure WH or DH.

Mannimarco
14-01-2009, 16:02
dark eldar are getting a new codex soon so this will see a surge of people playing them, id go pure DH or WH, the price puts a lot of people of playing them so theyre fairly rare

Crowned
14-01-2009, 16:03
Rarest armies are probably Dark Eldar, and pure WH or DH.

I was quite interested in Daemonhunters until I discovered that everything but their troop models are just regurgitation of Space Marine stuff (vehicles and the like), the concept is cool but I really don't care for SM things =/

I've heard they're quite commonplace at tourneys too.

Llothlian
14-01-2009, 16:03
I've never seen an army rarer than Dark Eldar. Being as I have never seen one other than my own, I think this means my Sisters of Battle are rarer than Dark Eldar!

Luna de hierro
14-01-2009, 16:05
rare in my area?... kroot army, pure deathwing and pure deamon hunters.

Doctor Thunder
14-01-2009, 16:07
Anyway, I'm self admittedly totally OCD, and that poses a problem for me in army selection, I hate seeing other players with a carbon copy of my army, or even a few other players in the same place playing my army, I know it sounds rediculous and I'm well aware it's unavoidable anyway but I'd like to dampen the damage so to speak :p I'm also very loyal to which ever army I choose, I won't be faltering after I select one, so it's important for me to get it right first time.

It sounds like what you really need is a "counts-as" army. You use the rules from a specific codex, but you convert the models to be totally unique and represent the weapons and upgrades in a new way.

That way, you can be assured that your army is completely one-of-a-kind.

For example, you could make an alien race that uses crystal-based weaponry and strikes from the shadows, and use the rules for a pathfinder-heavy army from the eldar codex. (You could convert the models based on the skaven jezzails and warp-lightning thrower from Warhammer Fantasy, for example)

If you are not into heavily converting each model, however, then I would recommend Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, or Dark Eldar. Easily the three least common armies out there.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 16:11
It sounds like what you really need is a "counts-as" army. You use the rules from a specific codex, but you convert the models to be totally unique and represent the weapons and upgrades in a new way.

That way, you can be assured that your army is completely one-of-a-kind.

For example, you could make an alien race that uses crystal-based weaponry and strikes from the shadows, and use the rules for a pathfinder-heavy army from the eldar codex. (You could convert the models based on the skaven jezzails and warp-lightning thrower from Warhammer Fantasy, for example)

If you are not into heavily converting each model, however, then I would recommend Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, or Dark Eldar. Easily the three least common armies out there.

I'm not really into converting/modelling much at all, I generally personalise my army by using a pretty unknown/rare fragment inside that army via the paint job.

I quite like the idea of creating some "Dark Harlequins" and using paint and a small amount of modelling to do a count-as Dark Eldar army, hmm. I'm not sure if I want such a hefty commitment when I'm so out of practise though... What are the newest available materials on the Harlequins? The Eldar Codex? Does their own development-Codex still work?

As a back up, which is rarer between Witch Hunters/Daemonhunters?

BigBadBull
14-01-2009, 16:12
SOB, GK, DE, Pure Demon, Pure CSM legion, Pure Deathwing, non Skimmer Eldar

Forlorn
14-01-2009, 16:13
Squats.

I kid! I kid! :D

Dark Eldar are rarely seen. And a 2nd for Sisters of Battle. I've never seen anyone play them.

And if you play at the GW store I go to, painted armies are also rare. HAHA! I kid! I kid! ;)

pookie
14-01-2009, 16:14
Squats.

I kid! I kid! :D

Dark Eldar are rarely seen. And if you play at the GW store I go to, painted armies are also rare. HAHA! I kid! I kid! ;)

aaaargh ninjed! :evilgrin:

Doctor Thunder
14-01-2009, 16:15
I'm not really into converting/modelling much at all, I generally personalise my army by using a pretty unknown/rare fragment inside that army via the paint job.

I quite like the idea of creating some "Dark Harlequins" and using paint and a small amount of modelling to do a count-as Dark Eldar army, hmm. I'm not sure if I want such a hefty commitment when I'm so out of practise though... What are the newest available materials on the Harlequins? The Eldar Codex? Does their own development-Codex still work?
Harlequins are just a unit in the Eldar codex, so you couldn't make a whole army out of them.
However, making a whole army of harlequins and using counts as with the dark eldar codex would work very well. Dark Eldar Witches are nearly identical to harlequins in their rules and abilities, and you can make a whole wytch army.

That would definately be one of a kind.

Witchunters
Witchunters.

Llothlian
14-01-2009, 16:16

No point in "Dark Harlequins", since Harlequins are not affiliated with the Craftworlds or any other Eldar institution. They are the defenders of the Black Library, and treat all Eldar the same. They will work with any Eldar army (Light, Dark, or Wood).

Witch Hunters are far rarer, as many people (mistakenly) think Grey Knight terminators look cool, and so make an army of them, before realing they will hardly ever even get a draw and make a different army.

Bellygrub
14-01-2009, 16:18
And if you play at the GW store I go to, painted armies are also rare. HAHA! I kid! I kid! ;)

No. No you don't.

ozzyboy
14-01-2009, 16:18
Maybe Traitourous Gaurd? That would be unique, and easy to accomplish with the current models. :)

TimLeeson
14-01-2009, 16:20
Pretty much any of us minor-xeno race fanatics - theres a few of us around ; theres one guy who has an awesome army of Khrave/Barghesi. Another guy I know has done Hrud, Barghesi, K'nib and Tarellians. While I make my own from scratch.
Yeah its harder work, but you do -exactly- what you want both model-wise and backround-wise - and you can choose any list from any of the codexes to represent them. You'll have a truly unique looking army if you make them look good enough.

So yeah, cant get rarer than that. Period.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 16:21
No point in "Dark Harlequins", since Harlequins are not affiliated with the Craftworlds or any other Eldar institution. They are the defenders of the Black Library, and treat all Eldar the same. They will work with any Eldar army (Light, Dark, or Wood).

Witch Hunters are far rarer, as many people (mistakenly) think Grey Knight terminators look cool, and so make an army of them, before realing they will hardly ever even get a draw and make a different army.

Do you think Harlequins would be included in the new DE Codex? I really know nothing of the fluff and I'm probably 1 or 2 editions behind the universe but I'd assumed the fact they were included in the Eldar Codex meant some sort of allegiance (however frail) had been declared.

Speaking of which, is the Harlequin Codex (the development one) still available for download anywhere? Does anyone have a link for me? :D

Llothlian
14-01-2009, 16:23
It is possible, although unlikely, as there is already a Dark Eldar unit that performs the same role - the Wyches.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 16:42
When is the new Codex due? I know that's a stupid question but are we talking within the year?

Ajamax5
14-01-2009, 16:42
I don't know about your area but I'm the only one who plays mid-range tyranids that I know of. I play almot exclusively friendly environments though. I run broodlords with a bit of genestealers, a lot of warriors, some raveners, a gaunt brood or two just to fill out more troops and numbers. Hopefully adding zoanthropes soon. Relatively rare, still fun though, and easy to add almost anything later on what with the tyranid codex ranging from gribblies to b.f.g's.

Doctor Thunder
14-01-2009, 16:44
Do you think Harlequins would be included in the new DE Codex? I really know nothing of the fluff and I'm probably 1 or 2 editions behind the universe but I'd assumed the fact they were included in the Eldar Codex meant some sort of allegiance (however frail) had been declared.

No, unfortunately 40K fluff and rules are not nearly so coordinated.

Speaking of which, is the Harlequin Codex (the development one) still available for download anywhere? Does anyone have a link for me? :D
Bad idea. You never want to use rules that require your opponent's consent. Counts-as Dark Eldar Wych Army is perfect for your dark harlequin idea.

When is the new Codex due? I know that's a stupid question but are we talking within the year?
We don't know, but we're getting tidbits about IG and Lizardmen, so those are likely to be the two big releases this year. I'd say at least a year, probably two.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 17:34
Bad idea. You never want to use rules that require your opponent's consent. Counts-as Dark Eldar Wych Army is perfect for your dark harlequin idea.

I appreciate what you're getting at, I just wanted it to look over, I've found it thanks to the wonders of Google anyway, but you're right, I'll prolly DE Codex it.

So is there really nothing of worth about the Harlequins in the new Rulebook/Eldar Codex? As in, worth buying them for it?

Also, is there anywhere apart from the very risky eBay to acquire the old models that were dropped with the new Eldar list? I noticed important figures I'd want/need like The Great Harlequin are now missing...

Crowned
14-01-2009, 17:46
I've never seen an Eldar Exodite army.

Of course, if you've got the kind of attention span I've got, you'll buy all the stuff you need and then get bored waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Having lost your enthusiasm for the project, you'll turn to something else.

Steve

What exactly does an Exodite army consist of? Just an army themed around Striking Scorpions etc or is there more to it?

I always assumed CWE were the same thing >.<

Doctor Thunder
14-01-2009, 18:01
What exactly does an Exodite army consist of? Just an army themed around Striking Scorpions etc or is there more to it?

I always assumed CWE were the same thing >.<

Exodite Eldar are the 40K equivalent to wood elves. They live on planets rather than craftworld, and posses a more laid back and earthy attitude compared to their uptight big-city craftworld cousins.
They are known to ride small dragons in battle.

Ubermensch Commander
14-01-2009, 18:34
The Exodites are the Eldar who settled at the fringes of the old Eldar Empire. These worlds are called the Maiden Worlds, and many Eldar believe them to be the starting point for a renewed Eldar Empire(at least Biel-Tan does)
The Exodites in the old 2ned codex had nobles on raptor mounts(cold ones basically), stripped down Wraithlords, some Rangers for support, an Eldar militia which were basically Eldar Guardians if I recall correctly(same shuriken catapult anyway, dunno bout the heavy weapon), and some really big dinosaurs for heavy support. The Exodite troop options in the 2nd ed Eldar codex were alongside the standard Cratworld options, Pirate eldar options, and Harlequins. The Exodites do not follow the Path like Craftworlders but they do maintain a significantly stricter lifestyle than the Dark Eldar.
If you wanted to do an Exodite army, you could use the current Eldar codex that is out, with a goodly bit of counts and conversion work. Very few options would be flat out eliminated to go for a Exodite themed list, but many of the Aspect warriors would be harder to explain.
HQ: Autarch=Exodite Nobles
Farseer: Exodite Seer equivalent(they had them, I just have no idea what their titles were)
Avatar: Dicey. Its a craftworld thing but you could use it as a wraithbone exosuit for a noble or champion warrior

Troops: Dire Avengers=Househould guard for the Lord. Don't know what models you would use.
Guardians=Militia. Storm Guardians would be even better.
Rangers: They party with the exodites all the time.
Bikes: Saim Hann also has close ties with the Exodites. A contingent of wild riders for support or the Exodites own riders. Could even use the Lizardman terrosaur models or the Birdmen of Catraza(sp?) model bits from fantasy to represnt flying Exodites.

Fast Attack: Shining Spears=the elite guard of the local Exodite Lord. could just use converted cold one knights and count them as Shining Spears, though some might take issue with the idea of a non skmming model being jetbikes. too much confusion, no suspension of disbelief, etc.
Vypers=Either on loan from Saim hann or not their probably. *shrug*
Warp Spider= other than Biel Tan back up, I have no idea how you would fit them in per se.

Elites=Ok, all those Aspect Warriors? Either from Biel Tan or right out if you are going Exodite. The Exodites do not follow the Path so they would not have them in their own standing army. But if the Exodites had close ties with the Craftworlds, then it would be cool.
Wraithguard=Pretty sure they are right out with Exodites. If I am misremembering, oops.

Heavy support
Dark Reapers=ummmm I do not know?
Hvy Weapons platforms=With exodite gunners. Tah dah.
Fire Prism/falcon=not really Exodite flavor but fine if the Exodites are running with the craftworlders.
Wraithlord=convert model, it becomes the heavy wraithbone rig the Exodites used to have in 2ned. Effectively a stripped down "Eldar Dreadnought" use for heavy labor.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 18:45
The Exodites are the Eldar who settled at the fringes of the old Eldar Empire. These worlds are called the Maiden Worlds, and many Eldar believe them to be the starting point for a renewed Eldar Empire(at least Biel-Tan does)
The Exodites in the old 2ned codex had nobles on raptor mounts(cold ones basically), stripped down Wraithlords, some Rangers for support, an Eldar militia which were basically Eldar Guardians if I recall correctly(same shuriken catapult anyway, dunno bout the heavy weapon), and some really big dinosaurs for heavy support. The Exodite troop options in the 2nd ed Eldar codex were alongside the standard Cratworld options, Pirate eldar options, and Harlequins. The Exodites do not follow the Path like Craftworlders but they do maintain a significantly stricter lifestyle than the Dark Eldar.
If you wanted to do an Exodite army, you could use the current Eldar codex that is out, with a goodly bit of counts and conversion work. Very few options would be flat out eliminated to go for a Exodite themed list, but many of the Aspect warriors would be harder to explain.
HQ: Autarch=Exodite Nobles
Farseer: Exodite Seer equivalent(they had them, I just have no idea what their titles were)
Avatar: Dicey. Its a craftworld thing but you could use it as a wraithbone exosuit for a noble or champion warrior

Troops: Dire Avengers=Househould guard for the Lord. Don't know what models you would use.
Guardians=Militia. Storm Guardians would be even better.
Rangers: They party with the exodites all the time.
Bikes: Saim Hann also has close ties with the Exodites. A contingent of wild riders for support or the Exodites own riders. Could even use the Lizardman terrosaur models or the Birdmen of Catraza(sp?) model bits from fantasy to represnt flying Exodites.

Fast Attack: Shining Spears=the elite guard of the local Exodite Lord. could just use converted cold one knights and count them as Shining Spears, though some might take issue with the idea of a non skmming model being jetbikes. too much confusion, no suspension of disbelief, etc.
Vypers=Either on loan from Saim hann or not their probably. *shrug*
Warp Spider= other than Biel Tan back up, I have no idea how you would fit them in per se.

Elites=Ok, all those Aspect Warriors? Either from Biel Tan or right out if you are going Exodite. The Exodites do not follow the Path so they would not have them in their own standing army. But if the Exodites had close ties with the Craftworlds, then it would be cool.
Wraithguard=Pretty sure they are right out with Exodites. If I am misremembering, oops.

Heavy support
Dark Reapers=ummmm I do not know?
Hvy Weapons platforms=With exodite gunners. Tah dah.
Fire Prism/falcon=not really Exodite flavor but fine if the Exodites are running with the craftworlders.
Wraithlord=convert model, it becomes the heavy wraithbone rig the Exodites used to have in 2ned. Effectively a stripped down "Eldar Dreadnought" use for heavy labor.

Thanks for the write-up, I had no idea Biel-Tan were this despite the Eldar I collected (they weren't Biel-Tan but I should've known anyway).

I don't think I'll go for an Exodite army, not because I particularly disagree with them or don't think they're cool, but since I'm a one-army man I really don't want to go Eldar again, especially considering I sold 3000pts of them for practically nothing. I need to stretch a little, and even though a Dark Eldar army might not be the kind of stretch most people would make, it'll do for me with the Harlequin theme.

I'm having vivid imagery of a nice Dark Eldar army painted in Harlequin colours, I'm really looking forward to it :)

On that subject actually, as I'm older I might look into getting into the Tournament scene once I'm back on my feet, I know rules vary, but would I be allowed to take Harlequin models to them if I declared them as count-as Dark Eldar models or are they strict with this?

Noserenda
14-01-2009, 19:06
While the Harlequins/Dark Eldar idea is cool, bear in mind that there is only 1 really good "build" for Dark Eldar, every DE army ive seen is a cookie cutter the last few years.

ceaser543
14-01-2009, 19:14
A pure grey knights force a play one they are very fun to play but are all made of metal and can get swamped easyley but otherwise they are very rare i dont know anyone else in my area who plays them and I actualy couldnt find a pure grey knights army that uses a lrc so I added one they are very very effective.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 19:18
While the Harlequins/Dark Eldar idea is cool, bear in mind that there is only 1 really good "build" for Dark Eldar, every DE army ive seen is a cookie cutter the last few years.

Do elaborate for me, anything helps, tactical or otherwise.

squeekenator
14-01-2009, 19:19
Dark Eldar are indeed rare, but not as rare as people think. The problem is that there are a lot of people like you who want an uncommon army, and so they pick Dark Eldar. In a tournament I was in recently, Dark Eldar were one of the most common races. Of course, they're still rarer than, say, Space Marines, but, at least where I live, they're suprisingly common. So if your main concern is making sure you never have to play a mirror match, the Inquisition is your best bet. Probably Witch Hunters, because their lack of Space Marines makes them less appealing to those pesky n00bs.

EDIT:

Do elaborate for me, anything helps, tactical or otherwise.

Well, for a start, half of the units in the Dark Eldar codex suck. Scourges, Mandrakes and Hellions are so ridiculously overpriced that they're basically unusable, Grotesques and Reaver Jetbikes suck and Talos, while pretty good, compete with Ravagers for Heavy Support slots. Ravagers are crazy good, so you don't often see Talos. Recently Wyches have been less common because 5th edition hurt them pretty hard by stopping them from consolidating into enemy models, but they're still decent. Basically, you have 3 choices for HQ, and have access to a retinue, but only 2 usable Elites and Troops choices, no Fast Attack and one Heavy Support.

The most common strategy (at least where I live) is the Raider Rush. Basically, you get lots of Warriors and chuck them in Raiders (paper-thin but fast skimmer transport), get three Ravagers and then fly over to the enemy and kill stuff stone dead.

Bloodknight
14-01-2009, 19:23
In a tournament I was in recently, Dark Eldar were one of the most common races.

Yeah, it happens; if for no other reason then because they are, as The Outsider described them, the "LOL! Marines"-army...

Crowned
14-01-2009, 19:25
Dark Eldar are indeed rare, but not as rare as people think. The problem is that there are a lot of people like you who want an uncommon army, and so they pick Dark Eldar. In a tournament I was in recently, Dark Eldar were one of the most common races. Of course, they're still rarer than, say, Space Marines, but, at least where I live, they're suprisingly common. So if your main concern is making sure you never have to play a mirror match, the Inquisition is your best bet. Probably Witch Hunters, because their lack of Space Marines makes them less appealing to those pesky n00bs.

I suppose on a worldwide scale Dark Eldar would be considered one of the rarest but there are always curveballs in certain localities, I think the only way I'm gonna be happy is if I put a spin on an existing army, and I think a Harlequin Dark Eldar theme is pretty damn unlikely in my area or in tournaments.

You're right though, everybody wants to be unique so eventually I'm gonna run into someone who's had the same/similar idea and it'll drive me mad, but I'd still consider that a damn sight better than being Ultramarines and not being able to move 2 feet without bumping into a blue Rhino. :p

Granitearm
14-01-2009, 19:42
My brother plays:

1. Orks (very common now, but much rarer when he played them before the new codex)
2. Dark Eldar
3. Adeptus Arbites

Of those his rarest is probably the Adeptus Arbites.

People used to mock him for playin 1 fake army and 2 that had codexes over 5 years old.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 20:02
My brother plays:

1. Orks (very common now, but much rarer when he played them before the new codex)
2. Dark Eldar
3. Adeptus Arbites

Of those his rarest is probably the Adeptus Arbites.

People used to mock him for playin 1 fake army and 2 that had codexes over 5 years old.

I quite like the idea of the Adeptus Arbites but I'm sure that would require some decent modeling skill since the paint job isn't that distinct to attach to currently available models. :(

Murrithius
14-01-2009, 20:25
Easiest way to do arbites: Cadian heads on SM scout bodies with shotguns. trust me it looks quite good!

tuebor
14-01-2009, 20:32
I quite like the idea of the Adeptus Arbites but I'm sure that would require some decent modeling skill since the paint job isn't that distinct to attach to currently available models. :(

It's not that difficult to make Arbites out of plastic SM Scouts.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40163&highlight=arbites

cailus
14-01-2009, 20:41
Rarest armies in my area.

1. Daemons - armies spotted since codex came out: 0
2. Dark Eldar: armies spotted since codex came out 10 or so years ago: 2
3. Inquisition: armies spotted since both codexes came out: 3 (only 1 painted)
4. Eldar - armies spotted since 2nd edition: 4
5. Orks: armies spotted since 2nd edition: 4 (1 is mine of course).
6. Imperial Guard: armies spotted since 2nd edition: 5.

I've seen lots of Marine, Necron, Tyranid, Chaos and Tau armies - if where I live is any indicator I'd say they're the most popular ones.

Vaaish
14-01-2009, 20:41
Couldn't you just use the necromunda arbites models as a base?

silence
14-01-2009, 20:51
Have you thought about the traitor guard?

Forge world do some nice piece's for them. In friendly games you could use the vraks rebels list in IA5/6. Otherwise just use standard IG list with some units and models as counts as.

starlight
14-01-2009, 20:52
Arbites also have current rules in Codex: Witch Hunters.

*Counts as* the rest of your selections to an Arbites flavour and you're off to the races. :)

As featured in WD some years ago, Dark Harlequins (and a partial inspiration for my own DEWC Harlequins) :

http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

Sisters of Battle are fairly rare simply due to cost, as are Death Korps of Krieg (or any FW army such as Elysians) for the same reason.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 21:04
It's not that difficult to make Arbites out of plastic SM Scouts.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40163&highlight=arbites

eh still too much for me I'm afraid, I did practically zero modelling on my Eldar back in the day and I really don't want to commit myself to an army that would require me to do it on every model, since battles are the main fun for the hobby for me. Thanks for the link though those look great.

Arbites also have current rules in Codex: Witch Hunters.

*Counts as* the rest of your selections to an Arbites flavour and you're off to the races. :)

As featured in WD some years ago, Dark Harlequins (and a partial inspiration for my own DEWC Harlequins) :

http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

Sisters of Battle are fairly rare simply due to cost, as are Death Korps of Krieg (or any FW army such as Elysians) for the same reason.

They're awesome, although the red/blue scheme isn't doing much for me, even for Darker Harlequins I'd want much brighter striking colours and some more crazy patterns.

SockMonkey
14-01-2009, 21:14
Forgeworld.

starlight
14-01-2009, 21:17
I agree they aren't what I would do myself, but they serve as inspiration. :)

I've finally collected the majority of the models (Mandrakes, Wyches, Witches, Lelith, Decapitator, etc) for my DEWC Harlequins (bar the speeder fronts), so one day I'll have to pull them out of storage and get to painting. I agree on the brighter colours and patterns. :)

Basic list:

Great Harlequin (Lelith plus Retinue)
Solitaire (Decapitator)

Mimes (Mandrakes - one required for Decapitator)

Troupes on Venoms (Wyches on Raiders)

Harlequins on Jetbikes (Reavers)

Heavy Venoms (Ravagers)

Reaver83
14-01-2009, 21:22
I see lot's of marines, chaos and orks where I am. There's a fair few IG's and Nids, There'a a few necrons and eldar, fewer tau and Sisters, I'm one of two 40K Daemons (there's more in fantasy land) even fewer Dark eldar, and no GK pureists.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 21:22
I agree they aren't what I would do myself, but they serve as inspiration. :)

I've finally collected the majority of the models (Mandrakes, Wyches, Witches, Lelith, Decapitator, etc) for my DEWC Harlequins (bar the speeder fronts), so one day I'll have to pull them out of storage and get to painting. I agree on the brighter colours and patterns. :)

Basic list:

Great Harlequin (Lelith plus Retinue)
Solitaire (Decapitator)

Mimes (Mandrakes - one required for Decapitator)

Troupes on Venoms (Wyches on Raiders)

Harlequins on Jetbikes (Reavers)

Heavy Venoms (Ravagers)

Make sure you throw them up on here once you start getting them done, I'd love to see them! :)

Madfool2
14-01-2009, 21:23
I've seen everything, mostly where I am it's all kinds of power armour, but the armies I rarely see are bike armies, it's why I play them.

Moriarty
14-01-2009, 22:15
Use the Necron Codex, with Dalek miniatures. Never seen one of those before.

Shangrila
14-01-2009, 22:18
I have seen at least one of everything but ide say the rarest are Dark eldar or a pure inquisitorial force.

MrBigMr
14-01-2009, 22:22
Going by some of the prudes, it would seem that any army that's not a Chaos version of something else, is a rare thing indeed. It's all tentacles and spiky bits with no regard for the fluff and blaa blaa blaa...

Around here I've seen BT, SW, SM, Eldar, Dark Eldar, IG, Daemons, CSM... I think Sisters and GK are the rarest.

brother_fandango
14-01-2009, 22:24
I hardly see RavenWing anymore. prolly the hardest army to win with, IMO. Ive tried, and failed many, many times.

14-01-2009, 22:38
-As bro fandango said, ravenwing are very rare.

-I personally have never seen a night lords legion player or thousand sons legion (other than myself)

-You could try an eldar army based entirely around one aspect (swooping hawks arn't too common).

Rioghan Murchadha
14-01-2009, 23:08
-As bro fandango said, ravenwing are very rare.

-I personally have never seen a night lords legion player or thousand sons legion (other than myself)

-You could try an eldar army based entirely around one aspect (swooping hawks arn't too common).

Join the club... (Although I bet you've probably seen quite a few CSM armies with the obligatory 1ksons squad for anti-meq firepower.

EVIL INC
14-01-2009, 23:25
Personally, I would look at it from a different point of view. True, marines, eldar, chaos and all are popular butt hat does not mean you HAVE to follow the masses in your unit selection, paint scheme, storyline and whatnot. You can totally customize your army to suit YOU. Making it like no other.
Consider for example a marine army themed around the old Road Warrier movies complete with loads of bikes and vehicles customized to look the part by mixing them with ork parts. True, it would be a marine army but with a look you wont see others have.

Crowned
14-01-2009, 23:34
Personally, I would look at it from a different point of view. True, marines, eldar, chaos and all are popular butt hat does not mean you HAVE to follow the masses in your unit selection, paint scheme, storyline and whatnot. You can totally customize your army to suit YOU. Making it like no other.
Consider for example a marine army themed around the old Road Warrier movies complete with loads of bikes and vehicles customized to look the part by mixing them with ork parts. True, it would be a marine army but with a look you wont see others have.

Yeah but once it's on the battlefield it plays exactly like SM's, SM's are the most popular ergo mirrormatch.

It's a vein requirement but satisfaction is paramount :p Dark Eldar/Harlequin is looking pretty good now, I'm torn between that and a Daemonhunter/Witchhunter force with a twist, I'll take a couple trips the store and see what's on the tables and maybe ask a staff member what's common and decide from there. The cost of WH/DH doesn't bother me too much since their armies are typically smaller so you make some of the money back that way, the vehicles being SM is still a bit of a put off for me but I see the WH have some really nice takes on them so it's a possibility provided the rarity thing checks out.

Rlyehable
15-01-2009, 00:57
Kroot Mercenary List
Elysian Drop Troops List

Trench_Raider
15-01-2009, 01:01
I own what has to be the rarest of the rare 40k armies...Space Slaan.

In almost 20 years of playing this game I have NEVER seen another one.

TR

BLARGAG!!!
15-01-2009, 01:22
I own what has to be the rarest of the rare 40k armies...Space Slaan.

In almost 20 years of playing this game I have NEVER seen another one.

TR

yeah, too bad that they dont have official rules anymore.

im going to second both the WH and DE claims.

blackroyal
15-01-2009, 02:00
Sisters Of battle is the only army I have seen twice on a table. Once in the Chicago Battle Bunker, and once at my FLGS. All of the other armies I have seen in the multiple digits at least.

Ghilleman
15-01-2009, 02:29
Deffwing. Not too many of those around, I don't think.

As for non-themed straight-up armies, WH/DH are probably your best bet.

Bjornin
15-01-2009, 02:58
Our group actually has a dedicated WH player, although he runs them with BT 50% of the time. Don't see DH or DE that often tho.

Soupcat
15-01-2009, 02:59
In regards to DE, they are suppose to be getting a new codex soonish, and after that I dont think they will be very rare because of A) new codex syndrome, and B) the huge number of people I have heard saying "if they had better looking models I would play them"
Personally if you want rare... radical deamonhunters, Im not sure if the supplementary WD rules they released ages ago are still valid but you could make a really cool looking army. On a side note: are those rules still valid?

heretic
15-01-2009, 02:59
No matter what you have, without converting I think you'll end up seeing another of the same type eventually. And even then, you still might. For example these "unique" ideas have been done-

IG undead/skeletons
IG beastmen
Ad Mech
Fallen DA
Arbites
Flame Falcons
Exodites/Harlies
Genestealer Cults

etc

Crowned
15-01-2009, 09:25
No matter what you have, without converting I think you'll end up seeing another of the same type eventually. And even then, you still might. For example these "unique" ideas have been done-

IG undead/skeletons
IG beastmen
Ad Mech
Fallen DA
Arbites
Flame Falcons
Exodites/Harlies
Genestealer Cults

etc

Yeah being unique is pretty impossible but you can pretty safely assume you'll be pretty rare if you do pick up one of those.

I'm not desperate to literally be one of a kind, after all established concepts would be easier to swallow, some some sort of DH looks like an idea right now, but like I said it hinges on what I see when I go to my local store. :p

Speaking of which, are DH/WH relatively new in the scale of things? As in won't get updated any time soon? I assume so since they didn't even exist when I played but worth an ask.

squeekenator
15-01-2009, 10:36
They haven't been updated in quite a few years. Certainly not new, they still have a 3rd edition codex. They may get updated in 2010.

heretic
15-01-2009, 15:19
I don't think they'll get an update until 2011 or so actually. There will be revised IG, DE, Necron, Tyranid, and ork 'dexes first.

Sleazy
15-01-2009, 15:39
I think Gretch is manager at boro store these days, he's ok. Have a potter along and see what the most common armies. if you wanna be unique dont leave it to chance that Boro wont have any other DE players, They're an odd lot the smoggies.

Crowned
15-01-2009, 16:45
I think Gretch is manager at boro store these days, he's ok. Have a potter along and see what the most common armies. if you wanna be unique dont leave it to chance that Boro wont have any other DE players, They're an odd lot the smoggies.

Any idea if they still do the gaming nights? I was too young to participate when I last played but I'd be interested once I got an army up and running ^.^

Sleazy
15-01-2009, 17:21
I'm sure they do, give them a ring and ask what night though.

Darkstar2586
15-01-2009, 17:27
Rarest Ive seen are themed armies for example genestealer cults or ad mech.
Have a local sisters of battle player and have seen dark eldar quite few times.. in fact im not sure why I havent seen more of them. They are undercosted and can really be exploited to fit 5th ed.
Not to mention the darklance on their 35point transports

Crowned
15-01-2009, 17:28
So I've been looking over this:

http://www.nso-mod.com/files/Codex-Harlequins.pdf

Which I personally and it seems publicly (here included) has been praised quite highly.

I'm considering forming a Harlequin army and achieving my childhood dream with the twist of using some Dark Eldar models in place of the couple of Eldar models used in the Codex (DE Jetbikes for example).

I don't think people would be too averse to playing against it once I was known around the store, either that or use the 3rd ed Citidel Journal #39 rules from Gav Thorpe; but I have a couple of queries:

Is there anywhere (in the UK preferably) I can get my hands on old Harlequin models such as The Great Harlequin etc?

Would you personally fight against it? :p

TIA!

PS. It would be a temporary measure whilst waiting for new DE models/Codex then I could step it up and participate in tournament play when they come around, I just don't feel like busting hundreds of quid on models that might be obselete in <12 months.

starlight
15-01-2009, 19:17
Internet praise doesn't equate to opponents letting you use it. That all comes down to your local shop.

It looks just like the updated version of Gav's Journal list (and may be said list). Personally I'd either wait for the new DE list and decide then, or take your chances and start painting up the models you *know* will be in the list (regular Harlequins, etc).

Starchild
16-01-2009, 02:50
Out of the currently tourney-legal & support armies, the Witch Hunters are the rarest of all in my opinion.

I know of only one person who plays them in my area, and he was the only Witch Hunter player at last year's local tourney. I think Witch Hunters would be more appealing to artistically minded players, but there aren't many of those types around here. :(

willydstyle
16-01-2009, 07:35
Yeah being unique is pretty impossible but you can pretty safely assume you'll be pretty rare if you do pick up one of those.

I'm not desperate to literally be one of a kind, after all established concepts would be easier to swallow, some some sort of DH looks like an idea right now, but like I said it hinges on what I see when I go to my local store. :p

Speaking of which, are DH/WH relatively new in the scale of things? As in won't get updated any time soon? I assume so since they didn't even exist when I played but worth an ask.

When did you play? Grey Knights and Inquisitors have been around since Rogue Trader, and I think Sisters were too... but they had a codex for sure in 2nd edition. They may not have had the same titled books, but the forces described have been around for a long time.

genestealer_baldric
16-01-2009, 07:51
the rarest army i think is a balanced army

willydstyle
16-01-2009, 07:54
the rarest army i think is a balanced army

Define balanced army? The term means something different to every player. I personally disagree with this statement as most of my opponents bring "balanced" forces to the table.

Crowned
16-01-2009, 09:26
When did you play? Grey Knights and Inquisitors have been around since Rogue Trader, and I think Sisters were too... but they had a codex for sure in 2nd edition. They may not have had the same titled books, but the forces described have been around for a long time.

A good 6-7 years ago now, I'm 21 and I was about 14 when I quit.

I know that the concept existed, I know that SoB existed and Inquisitors existed, but unless a huge chunk of my memory has disappeared I don't remember DH or WH being a full army, by that I mean in the vein of comparable to Eldar etc, nor do I remember Grey Knights running around, and they weren't listed as their own army on the GW site.

genestealer_baldric
16-01-2009, 09:53
that was a joke :) , but with slight truth to it i mean playing army that are designed an built based of fluff and played they way that force would fight rather than picking all the hardest units. like having tigerus (sp) fighting for imperial fists etc.. due to new codex colour marine rules :P

Crowned
16-01-2009, 09:55
Does anyone in the UK know of any decent tournaments that go on each year? I know it's sort of premature but I wouldn't mind looking at their websites to get a feel for what's up.

TIA!

mughi3
16-01-2009, 11:03
Well for starters lets pull out everything thats no longer legal-
.squats
.genestealer cults
etc....

What i see in my area on a regular basis-
.dark angels
.salamanders
.grey knights
.lots of IG
.lots of orks
.sisters of battle
.eldar
.thousand sons
.demons
.night lords
.tau
.nidzilla

What i see occasionally
.necrons
.blood ravens
.iron warriors (pretty dead considering they got totally ignored in the new dex)
.emperors children

.Stuff i hardly ever see or never see-
.black legion
.death guard
.word bearers
and pretty much any other fallen legion

.imperial fists, ravenguard, white scars, etc... to include all the more obscure first founding chapters.

.dark eldar
.various FW IG forces

marv335
16-01-2009, 11:45
Pure ordo malleus (no grey knights, radical force)
and
Pure ordo hereticus (no adeptus sororitas) are very, very rare.

Around here DE are one of the most common armies.

willydstyle
16-01-2009, 12:20
Mughi3 now that you mention it, I think I have the only Black Legion army I've ever seen... which is surprising given their central place in the fluff.

Marv, a friend of mine in my home town plays "pure ordo hereticus" lots of storm troopers, an inquisitor lord, penitent engines, chimeras, exorcists I think too, but no sisters models, no faith points. He did really well with it too.

Crowned
16-01-2009, 15:31
Are White Scars common? Quite liking the concept!

willydstyle
16-01-2009, 15:33
I've known 2 white scars players. I've been playing for 15 years.

slade the slaughter
16-01-2009, 16:19
A good 6-7 years ago now, I'm 21 and I was about 14 when I quit.

I know that the concept existed, I know that SoB existed and Inquisitors existed, but unless a huge chunk of my memory has disappeared I don't remember DH or WH being a full army, by that I mean in the vein of comparable to Eldar etc, nor do I remember Grey Knights running around, and they weren't listed as their own army on the GW site.

Check out the codex's WH's and DH's can both be used armies (with storm troopers as troops but can still take allies such as space marines or I.G. aswell as being able to allie with each other.

I've seen some crazy one off armies, you just have to think outside the box so to speak. Here are some

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58300

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41345

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14361&highlight=barghesi

Ser_Spazz
16-01-2009, 16:27
To be honest, at my local gaming club, there seems to be almost no one who plays Witch Hunters. The boxes sit on the shelf at both stores here collecting dust til I can afford to pick another one up for my horde sisters idea I'm currently working on. There are 2 Dark Eldar players who are super good players I see regularly enough too.

Alessander
16-01-2009, 17:17
Kroot Mercs, Witchhunters, Daemonhunters (puritan and radical), Armored Company. If your gaming club is near a military base, you'll see a lot of AC though (military gamers seem to love AC).

And... Squats. You can still play them using Ork or IG rules (3rd ed recommended using Ork rules for them).

the1stpip
16-01-2009, 20:12
We have more Ad Mech armies round my end than we do Grey Knights.

Dark Eldar are slowly getting more popular in my area (maybe people are sick of me beating them).

LoneSniperSG
16-01-2009, 20:30
The dustiest things in my local store are WH, DH and Eldar. Space wolves and some marine stuff are split between myself and another guy, and the rest of the SM stuff is taken by 5 other people. IG are also pretty low in stock, as are orks. Tau.. kinda sorta get sold.

andyg2006
16-01-2009, 20:41
Probably both type of '...hunters' armies are the rarest by me; Dark Eldar forces definitely seem to be making a return to 40k (about time - might even give me some motivation to do mine, too).

What about the Traitor Guard armies from the 'Siege of Vraks'/etc books?
(Khorne Priests + Berserker Ogryns + Ogryns-with-dogs seem to be really nice concepts and combination).

Crowned
16-01-2009, 21:14
Anyone else wish to chime in on the White Scars? :)

The_Outsider
16-01-2009, 23:34
Anyone else wish to chime in on the White Scars? :)

They are stupidly rare considering they are one of the legion chapters, they even had their own CA article but since 3rd ed well, ravenwing have been seen as just being flatout better at the same thing.

That said, with the WS character in the new SM codex they may get a slight revival, but I doubt.

EpilepticMoose
17-01-2009, 03:58
IMHO White Scars would not be fun to paint, which might contribute to why you don't see them.

Koryphaus
17-01-2009, 06:22
What seems to be rare in my area are well painted armies :cries:

djinn8
17-01-2009, 06:56
Has anyone mentioned Ordo Xeno and Death Watch?

The_Outsider
17-01-2009, 13:39
Has anyone mentioned Ordo Xeno and Death Watch?

Deathwatch technically don't have any rules anymore and ordos xenos (IIRC) never have had rules.

Crowned
17-01-2009, 21:31
So I took a trip down to the store today, very nice staff member tried to upsell me from a box of Harlequins to the Black Reach box, but I garnered a lot of information on what's rare and the gaming nights etc, he was also pretty knowledgable about battles which is good because he hooked onto what I was going for pretty quick.

I found out that for the Boro store Tyranids are pretty rare, which I found quite surprising, it's a shame I'm not that interested in playing them.

He did mention that nobody at all plays White Scars, they had a bike squad up on display that he'd painted himself and I found their minimalism/concept quite interesting.

I didn't pick anything up today because I didn't want buyers regret (the SM pill is a bitter one to swallow...), speaking of which, when did they/have they stopped doing Battle Reports in WD? I was gonna pick one up and I couldn't find any evidence of there being one on the cover or spine (they were shrinkwrapped).

On a side note, what armies have the least model counts but are still competitive?

The_Outsider
18-01-2009, 14:31
On a side note, what armies have the least model counts but are still competitive?

There are a few deathwing forces that are rock hard to kill - especially if you take belial with the thunderhammer/storm shield combo.

bocaj
18-01-2009, 15:21
space marrines take them and it will be unlikely that someone else will have the same chapter. try this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400028&pIndex=1&aId=9600100&start=2) page

Crowned
18-01-2009, 16:15
space marrines take them and it will be unlikely that someone else will have the same chapter. try this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400028&pIndex=1&aId=9600100&start=2) page

Those White Minotaurs look awesome, anyone have any more info on them? Nothing on the wikia. ilovegold ;_;