PDA

View Full Version : 2250 wood elves fast cavalry

darrelltmcd
14-01-2009, 21:18
High born w/ rageths blades, alter, HotH, En Shield, bow of Loren, bodkin.

Noble w/ bs, asyendi's bane, la, HodA, biting blade, steed.

spell singer w/ lvl2, steed, calaingor, DS

Spell singer w/ lvl2, steed, divination orb, DS

Glade riders x 5 w/ musician

Glade riders x 6 w/ musician

Wild riders x 6 w/ full command, war banner

wild riders x 6 w/ full command

warhawk riders x 3

warhawk riders x 3

Great eagle

great eagle

any thoughts of what it would be good against bad against. how to play it well.

all comments welcome.

Darrell

RavenBloodwind
15-01-2009, 02:54
High born w/ rageths blades, alter, HotH, En Shield, bow of Loren, bodkin.
Down side of alter highborn is that he can't be the general. Aside from that, a mundane GW is probably a better weapon for him

Noble w/ bs, asyendi's bane, la, HodA, biting blade, steed.
I don't see the magical bow as all that helpful, also you have 2 magical weapons which is a no-no, I'd drop both actually and just give him a mundane spear

spell singer w/ lvl2, steed, calaingor, DS
Spell singer w/ lvl2, steed, divination orb, DS
Fine

Wild riders x 6 w/ full command, war banner
wild riders x 6 w/ full command
warhawk riders x 3
warhawk riders x 3
Great eagle
great eagle

any thoughts of what it would be good against bad against. how to play it well.

So your main function here is actually points denial, even if you're not thinking of it that way. Without glade guard shooting you're really limiting the actual damage you put out in shooting.

The glade riders are great harrassment troops and the get to shoot, but don't expect them to do all that much damage. They're also frighteningly fragile in combat so having them flank-charge to support your wild riders, while seeming attractive, may backfire.

Wild riders are fairly tough but vulnerable to shooting. Also, being ItP, they can't flee which will force you to be more cautious with them.

The warhawks and eagles are fine.

You will struggle against shooty dwarfs or empire, and probably DE. You will struggle against magic heavy armies (especially cast-spamming VC). You will struggle MIGHTILY against high toughness opponents and highly armored ones.

It's not a bad build, it's just a very finesse driven one which will require you to avoid almost all combats.

I'd look at swapping at least one glade rider unit for another wild rider unit. Dropping an eagle would net you the necessary points.

There you have it

darrelltmcd
15-01-2009, 12:12
thanks for all the comments. sadly I would need to drop hawks for more wild riders.

I did not realise you could not take 2 magic weapons, but you lose the longbow if you take a battle standard. so the magic bow was so I could use hail od doom arrows.

yes I realise that the wild riders cannot flee as a charge reaction but they can be awesome.

heavy armour and hi toughness I realise will be a problem but I will just have to try harder.the lord choice I was going to put on an eagle or stag but the alter allows him an extra shot with the his bow. and the arrows negate saves.

The Red Scourge
15-01-2009, 13:58
Another thing is that your highborn has two magic armors.

I'm not a fan of the machine gun alter myself S3 won't do much to the tough monsters you'll struggle with – but if you use him, why not give him the glamourweave, as he is quite vulnerable to magic missiles.

Personally, I'd make a monster hunter out of him (if I'd ever use a highborn as general) with the Spirit Sword and either the Stone of Crystal Mere or the 3+ ward vs. mundane – or annoyance of nettlings and the HoTH. This one should be able to do something that the rest of your army can't.

As already stated your BSB exceeds his magic allowance. I also sincerely doubt that you will find any use for your BSB – other than the +1 CR. I'd use the 'standard alter' instead = GW, LA, Sh, HoTH, HoDA – which will give you an extra punch vs. armor.

Last, I'd drop the champion from the wild riders.

RavenBloodwind
15-01-2009, 21:26
So, didn't notice the "/bs" on the noble as being BSB, I thought he was just random fighty dude to bulk up a flank-charging glade rider unit. Given that, yes, he needs a magical bow to use the HoDA.

I'll agree with Red Scourge that, particularly in this build, you likely won't get much mileage out of a BSB. I use one in a glade guard/wardancer mixed army to good effect but your build should usually find itself so spread out the BSB will be hard pressed to contribute in enough places.

As to the alter highborn vs eagle highborn...for similar points, the eagle allows you to not be march blocked and also to be the general. Giving up one shot is not the end of the world. My standard flying gattling gun build is a highborn on eagle with mundane spear and light armor, enchanted shield, stone of crystal mere, bow of loren and bodkins. This gives him a fair armor save and potential ward (how many times do I roll a 1 or 2 on the first roll? all too often).

The 'low' strength of his shooting is a limitation, however against elf and human cavalry he is devastating. I've also decimated chaos knights although the needing 5s to wound certainly slows the process.

darrelltmcd
15-01-2009, 22:14
asyendi's bane is a magic bow. so he can shoot the hail.

thanks for the sound advice guys. I am totally new to the whole what you can and cant give characters. I normally have spellsingers with a scroll and the calaingor stave. so no need to think about what armour they can have.

I will re-assess the list and get back to you.

The Red Scourge
16-01-2009, 07:42
Try and head over to asrai.org.

Friendliest forum on the net and thoroughly dedicated to help out a fellow wood elf player :)

darrelltmcd
18-01-2009, 21:28
thank will do.