PDA

View Full Version : Banner Question

b4d0m3n
14-01-2009, 23:18
Can you have more than one banner in a unit? So, can a general with a magic banner join a unit which already has a standard bearer or a magic standard?

Gazak Blacktoof
14-01-2009, 23:21
Most units can purchase a single standard bearer.

You can also place your battle standard bearer in almost any unit.

Both of these will grant the unit bonus points of combat resolution (as noted in the rule book).

No unit can purchase more than one banner bearer and you can't have more than one battle standard.

Generals do not normally carry their own battle standards.

b4d0m3n
14-01-2009, 23:29
Most units can purchase a single standard bearer.

You can also place your battle standard bearer in almost any unit.

Both of these will grant the unit bonus points of combat resolution (as noted in the rule book).

No unit can purchase more than one banner bearer and you can't have more than one battle standard.

Generals do not normally carry their own battle standards.

So, say a unit of Greatswords has full command, including sb, a General of the Empire (carrying an Imperial Standard) cannot join that unit? Or only cannot join that unit if said unit is also carrying a magic standard?

Necromancy Black
14-01-2009, 23:34
Ok, you got two types of Banners, you Standard Bearers and your Battle Standard Bearers.

Each unit can only have one Standard Bearer which may or may not be a command group upgrade option.
Each army may only have a single Battle Standard Bearer who will be a hero or lord choice.

Your Battle Standard Bearer can join units (he is a character) and he will confer additional bonus, including an additional +1 to combat resolution. In a situation where you have two or more of your own units in a single combat, you do not count multiple Standard Bearers to combat resolution. You only get +1 for having at least one Standard Bearer, and +1 for the Battle Standard Bearer.

Upgrading to a magic banner does not override the Standard Bearer or Battle Standard Bearer rules (unless specifide), so they still give +1 to combat resolution plus anything else.

General's cna't be your Battle Standard Bearer. The only exception to this is the Slann who has too be both if he's taken.

EDIT:: in your case above he can join. Being a Battle Standard Bearer will not change any rules as too what units characters can and can not join (again, unless the army book has a specific rule to say otherwise)

b4d0m3n
14-01-2009, 23:37
I getcha. Thanks for that.

foehammer888
15-01-2009, 00:56
Interesting follow up to this.

Now, I am not a "RAW fanatic", I am simply looking at this from the perspective of a new player unfamiliar with the rules.

In my Dark Elves book, most characters have the following specification:

Magic Items
up to 100 points

Looking in the magic item section, one of the options is "magic standards". Nothing in either entry states that the Deadlord, for example, can't take a magic standard. Nothing says you have to have a standard to take a magic one. Some units are allowed magic standards up to a certain value, and BSBs are allowed magic standards with no upper points limit. However, there is no restriction on what magic items can be included in a dark elf character's allowance.

The only exceptions are that the main rulebook states only one of each type may be taken, and only wizards can take arcane magic items.

So, if I were a new player to the game, what tells me that a dreadlord can't take a magic standard as part of his magic item allowance?

Necromancy Black
15-01-2009, 01:15
Interesting follow up to this.

Now, I am not a "RAW fanatic", I am simply looking at this from the perspective of a new player unfamiliar with the rules.

In my Dark Elves book, most characters have the following specification:

Magic Items
up to 100 points

Looking in the magic item section, one of the options is "magic standards". Nothing in either entry states that the Deadlord, for example, can't take a magic standard. Nothing says you have to have a standard to take a magic one. Some units are allowed magic standards up to a certain value, and BSBs are allowed magic standards with no upper points limit. However, there is no restriction on what magic items can be included in a dark elf character's allowance.

The only exceptions are that the main rulebook states only one of each type may be taken, and only wizards can take arcane magic items.

So, if I were a new player to the game, what tells me that a dreadlord can't take a magic standard as part of his magic item allowance?

And you if read the BRB you'll notice it says the only character that can take them is the Battle Standard Bearer and some units may be allowed to take them if they have a Standard Bearer. It's all on page 121.

Condottiere
15-01-2009, 01:33
So far, I think the Slann have been the only exception to the BSB rule.

Lordmonkey
15-01-2009, 06:53
So far, I think the Slann have been the only exception to the BSB rule.

And Warriors of Chaos. But then, they are the ambiguous, unclear, half-intended exception to every rule ever invented. Phil saw to that :rolleyes:

Neckutter
15-01-2009, 10:20
agreed lordmonkey.

a friend of mine was trying to play "theory-hammer" with me a couple days ago and said his lord could carry a banner, it was an interestingly short conversation.

foehammer888
15-01-2009, 10:46
And you if read the BRB you'll notice it says the only character that can take them is the Battle Standard Bearer and some units may be allowed to take them if they have a Standard Bearer. It's all on page 121. Yup, once I got home and got my BRB in-hand, I read that rule as well. That'll show me.

A rules question with an easy, obvious answer. How often do those pop up on these forums?

However, I still think it would be helpful if under the characters it said "up to 100 points of magic items from the weapons, armor, talisman, and enchanted item categories." (of course with the addition of "arcane" for wizards).

Necromancy Black
15-01-2009, 10:53
Yup, once I got home and got my BRB in-hand, I read that rule as well. That'll show me.

A rules question with an easy, obvious answer. How often do those pop up on these forums?

However, I still think it would be helpful if under the characters it said "up to 100 points of magic items from the weapons, armor, talisman, and enchanted item categories." (of course with the addition of "arcane" for wizards).

Too much printing for each character in each army book. Easy to ahve it in a one, hard cover rule book. Show people the the rule that they're wrong, then smack them in the head.