PDA

View Full Version : vampire count walach's bloody hauberk

dark_rose_67
15-01-2009, 00:17
Hi

i was wondering if the walach's bloody hauberk count has an armour or a helm ?

also can you get a bonus for Hw/ shield in CC if you use a magic weapon

thanks

Goruax
15-01-2009, 01:04
It does not state it can be combined with normal armour (such as Heavy/Light/Full Plate Armour)
This means it will take the main armour slot, so you can still take a shield.

If you have a Magic Weapon and it does not state, under the weapon's description that it is a Hand Weapon, then no, you cannot get a HW/Shield Bonus.

EldarBishop
15-01-2009, 01:34
I agree... on both counts

sulla
15-01-2009, 03:17
Hi

A hauberk is a shirt of mail, not a helm... so it count's as armour.

WusteGeist
15-01-2009, 05:39
Hi

also can you get a bonus for Hw/ shield in CC if you use a magic weapon

thanks
This is called get a rule book.

Nicha11
15-01-2009, 06:30
This is called get a rule book.

This is called a useless observation.

Asmodiseus
15-01-2009, 08:39
A magic weapon may never be combined with a shield to give the parry bonus regardless if it is designated a hand weapon or not, this was clearly covered in the FAQ

Neckutter
15-01-2009, 10:16
i think wustegeist's observation is relevant. some questions are obvious, if people would take time to read the BRB. what's the old saying? "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. teach a man to fish...."

TheDarkDaff
15-01-2009, 10:23
i think wustegeist's observation is relevant. some questions are obvious, if people would take time to read the BRB. what's the old saying? "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. teach a man to fish...."
and you've ruined a wonderful business opportunity.

@Asmodiseus - That particular point in the FAQ actually breaks RAW. Magic weapons don't follow the rules of their mundane counter parts unless otherwise stated. If a Magic weapon has "hand weapon" in its rules then it has been otherwise stated so it should follow all the rules for hand weapons.

Wapniak
15-01-2009, 20:07
A magic weapon may never be combined with a shield to give the parry bonus regardless if it is designated a hand weapon or not, this was clearly covered in the FAQ

Q. Does a character benefit from the "Fighting with hand
weapon and shield (infantry)" rule found on page 56, if
armed with a mundane hand weapon and a magical
shield?
A. Yes. However it will not if armed with a magical
weapon and a mundane or magical shield, because the
magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons.

Read carefully. The weapon normally loses the hand weapon rule. But if it does have the "hand weapon" rule or a rule that includes the hand weapon rule (just as say Whip of Agony) it gives the parry bonus. The FAQu dosen't break anything.

Festus
16-01-2009, 06:12
Coorect.

The FAQ just clarifies the rule as it always was in 7th.
The Sword of the Quest has *Hand Weapon* as part of its rules, so benefits from all rules pertaining to hand weapons, including the so calles *Parry* bonus

Festus

Ethos
16-01-2009, 07:57
Correct me if I'm wrong...

...but if you're going to have a guy use a magical weapon - 'hand weapon' or other - it's still a magical item that you'd have to purchase; therefore, not mundane. Sure, 'magical hand weapon' and '[mundane] hand weapon' are very similar... except for the magical/non-magical part.

I'd say the FAQ clearly says "magical", so to me a 'magical' anything isn't mundane, and therefore [a 'magical' weapon] can't be used in conjunction with a mundane shield to get the perry bonus.

Nurgling Chieftain
16-01-2009, 10:10
But that therefore simply doesn't follow from the premise, since the key term in whether or not a weapon can get the "parry" bonus is whether it is a hand weapon, and not whether or not it is a magical weapon. The FAQ merely reiterates the fact that magical weapons lose the hand weapon rule unless otherwise noted. It in no way overrides the few cases which are otherwise noted, and indeed the wording is specific enough to effectively include them, since it specifies that magical weapons lose the bonus by dint of not being hand weapons, rather than by dint of being magical.

Griefbringer
16-01-2009, 10:19
Do you get the perry bonus if your models are not sculpted by the Perry twins?

More seriously, the FAQ also states that "because the magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons" which is not strictly RAW. BRB page 121 says instead "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon".

FranticDaemon
16-01-2009, 12:57
More seriously, the FAQ also states that "because the magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons" which is not strictly RAW. BRB page 121 says instead "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon".

This just means that if for example there's magic weapon called Spear of Eye-Poking with rules "Spear of Eye-Poking confer Killing Blow special rule upon the bearer" it won't follow special rules for spears. However if rule text of said spear's is "Spear. Spear of Eye-Poking confer Killing Blow special rule upon the bearer" it will follow special rules for spears. The same goes for Hand Weapons.

Griefbringer
16-01-2009, 15:01
However if rule text of said spear's is "Spear. Spear of Eye-Poking confer Killing Blow special rule upon the bearer" it will follow special rules for spears. The same goes for Hand Weapons.

Yep, that was my point. There are rather few magical weapons that have the hand weapon property (Sword of Quest in Bretonnian list is the most well-known example).

I must also add that Spear of Eye-Poking sounds like a mightily fine name for a magical weapon, and should thus also benefit from the Rule of Cool. However, it also somehow reminds me of the Emperor's pointy sticks in TSOALR web-comic ("Stick them to the eye!").