PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points new lizardmen

EndlessBug
15-01-2009, 09:02
I know the books not out yet but I think we all know what the rules are and have opinions on the units atm. I know I've not played with it yet but...

Slann
- BSB, +1pd per spell, whole lore, scroll, stupidity for enemy casters banner

Skink priest
- EotG, Lvl 2, scroll, +1 spell item

Scar Vet
- Shield of the mirrored pool, light armour

17 Saurus
- FC, spears

10 Skinks (ranked)

10 Skinks (ranked)

3 Terradons

3 Terradons

16 Temple Guard
- FC, (-1 to shoot over 12" away, -2 at under 12") banner

1 Salamander
- +1 handler

1 Salamander
- +1 handler

TOTAL: 2002 points

Power Dice: 9 (+1 per slann spell)
Dispel Dice: 6
Dispel Scrolls: 2

Do you think it will do well?

Should I take 5 Chamelions and a sword of might on the scar vet instead of the 2nd Sallie?

WarmbloodedLizard
15-01-2009, 10:41
is the +1 spell item in the priest even useful? if you use additional dice from the pool, your slann will be less effective.

you already have an ok magic defense with the slann, priest+eotg and scrolls, why use the shield of the mirrored pool? I think a JSoD would be more effective overall.

also, maybe remove 2 terradons(form one group of 4) and 2 handlers to squeeze in a third salamander. (put all 3 in the same unit)

EndlessBug
15-01-2009, 11:15
Thing with 4 Terradons is that they kill 1 and you're taking a panic test on a fairly low leadership (granted cold blooded). 5 terradons means the unit isnt so efficient at its role.

Secondly 2 units means I can take out the usual 2 war machines in a turn, also 1 unit per flank.

Ideally I would have more sallies but as they cause a panic check from just 1 casualty then I think units of 1 are more points effective. Similarly to the terradons, 1 on each flank will serve well I believe. I would add more if the points came available.

I see your point on magic defence, the shield is very good 'cos not only does it stop the spell on a 2+ now, it also hurts the caster instead (lone mages can die from just casting one spell at this unit). However I could see the point on the stupidity banner perhaps. that would be 50 points to spend elsewhere... plus the 2 handlers = 60 points, so perhaps I should remove them and take 5 chamelions?

Nightsword
15-01-2009, 11:29
Personally, I don't see the point in the ranked skinks. A small unit like that I guess your planning to use as flankers, but they don't have enough strength to do any damage without a krox, and they die pretty well too, so that's just adding CR in your opponents favour.

EndlessBug
15-01-2009, 11:37
well they're there for re-directing opponents and yea maybe flanks against some weaker ranked infantry. bung em in front of the saurus and redirect frenzies or redirect to allow flanks, also there to fill in the core choices tbh. and as screens

Nightsword
15-01-2009, 13:54
Ah ok. I was just thinking that maybe skink skirmishers would be better at that job :) Bit more flexible, and with multiple shot blowpipes.

blackjack
15-01-2009, 14:03
I like MSU ranked skinks as redirectors and flankers, they are cheap enough to be throw away.

I presonally would take the +1 spell plaque on the Slann and give up full lore knowledge, Saving 35pts.

I would drop the stuipidity banner too. As has been noted you have a pretty good magic defence allready.

I would put an enchanted shield and sword of might on the scar vet to make him a good challenger in CC.

With the left over points Might either buy a third Sallie or a unit of skirmish skinks.

But these are just my opinions. Over all I like your army alot.

EndlessBug
15-01-2009, 14:34
the +1 spell for the skink is just to make sure he gets a decent spell to cast on his own 3 dice. I do see your point on the slann getting it instead though, certainly something to think about...

On the Scar Vet, I think that the shield of the mirrored pool is too great to ignore personally, although I can see the magic missiles hitting the temple guard instead anyway.

Perhaps dropping the stupidity standard for MR (3) could help, almost forcing them to cast at the saurus block instead. But as has been said my magic defence is very decent already...

I think i'll definately drop the stupidity banner, so i'll have 48 points spare. I am aware that the scar vet does only have a 3+ save atm, perhaps swapping the mirroed pool for the heavy armour (+1T, fear and stupidity) might be good as then the saurus are immune to fear. and a scar vet with a 1+ save and toughness 6 would do very well in a challenge, or a 3+ save and Strength 7 with a great weapon.

Yeah, think I'll do that...

new list:

Slann
- BSB, +1pd per spell, whole lore, 2 dispel scrolls, power stone

Skink priest
- EotG, Lvl 2, Diadem of power, +1 spell item

Scar Vet
- the magical heavy armour giving fear, +1T, stupidity, great weapon, shield

17 Saurus
- FC, spears

10 Skinks

10 Skinks

3 Terradons

3 Terradons

16 Temple Guard
- FC, (-1 to shoot over 12" away, -2 at under 12") banner

1 Salamander

1 Salamander

Power Dice: 9 (+1 per slann spell)
Power stones: 1
Dispel Dice: 6
Dispel Scrolls: 2

TOTAL: 1998 points

Note: with the 35 points remaining I gave the Slann a power stone, removed the added handlers and gave the priest the diadem of power (moving the 2nd scroll to the Slann)