PDA

View Full Version : 25% casualties during a Waaagh

Nuada
15-01-2009, 09:36
When you declare the Waaagh any 1's results in the unit taking d6 wounds with no armour saves. If that unit takes 25% casualties, do you take a panic test?

In the description it says "distributed as for shooting"

(i've always played it that you do)

TheDarkDaff
15-01-2009, 09:54
Shooting has nothing to do with panic. You must take a panic test if a unit takes 25% casualties in that phase (ie mvement phase). You also have to be aware you recount the size of the unit each phase. You also have to take the panic test immediately and the unit flees if it fails, disrupting the normal sequence of the turn.

DeathlessDraich
15-01-2009, 10:09
If this happened in an actual game I would *insist* that my O&G opponent auto passes the Panic test.
Too much bad luck!

Neckutter
15-01-2009, 10:14
thd dark daff is correct, per the BRB

TheDarkDaff
15-01-2009, 10:19
In all honesty if an O&G unit can take 25% casulties from d6 wounds it probably won't make much of a difference if it flees. The only time it would be a problem is for spider/wolf riders and Boarboyz. Squig hoppers are immune to psych as are Savage Orcs so they don't care.

Cambion Daystar
15-01-2009, 11:01
In all honesty if an O&G unit can take 25% casulties from d6 wounds it probably won't make much of a difference if it flees. The only time it would be a problem is for spider/wolf riders and Boarboyz. Squig hoppers are immune to psych as are Savage Orcs so they don't care.

5 or 6 wounds on a unit of 20? For example Big 'Uns

Nuada
15-01-2009, 12:11
Happened to me in my last battle, i had 60 NGs (3 units of 20) with a total of 9 fanatics. One unit rolled a 1 and lost 5 (25%). If they fail the Ld test, all the fanatics in that particular unit are dead. You could argue it's my fault for only having 20 in a unit i guess.

I assume you also flee towards the nearest table edge, that's the way i always do it

EDIT: just checked the BRB it says you do flee towards nearest table edge

Braad
15-01-2009, 12:40
Never thought of it like that... On the other hand, I also never roll a 1 during the WAAAGH. Dunno why.

It's a bit weird though. Like they are being scared of themselves?

Nuada
15-01-2009, 13:01
Yeah it's weird. It probably represents the confusion of the battle.

If there's a tiny goblin at the back of a unit picking his nose and suddendly his fellow goblins are dying all around him. He's going to think a dark elf assassin has turned up, or scary magic is at work. So they run for it.

EvC
15-01-2009, 13:22
One note on the Dark Daff's post; if you take 25% casualties in a unit, you don't generally take a panic test immediately, you take it at the end of the phase. Unless the Orc book says that the panic test should be taken immediately in this case (Please tell me if it does!) then you can avoid having to take the unit's panic test if you can get it into combat somehow, as then you won't need to take the test.

Nuada
15-01-2009, 13:44
No it doesn't say anything about taking a test immediately in the O&G book.

The problem is they can't move at all in the movement phase because they are squabbling, and at the end of the movement phase they flee. (in that particular example) Nice idea, but i don't think it's possible EvC

EvC
15-01-2009, 14:08
Oh yeah forgot about that, was thinking of cases where a Black Orc smashes their heads in and the unit can move again... in that case you can avoid it, but on a Waaaagh! you're screwed. I think I'll adopt the "no panic" as a personal rule and not make Orc opponents take a double whammy... unless they're gits :D

TheDarkDaff
15-01-2009, 20:46
@EVC - I was reading ahead without telling you guys. The 5th paragraph of the panic ruels tells us if the unit takes 25% casualties from random factors it takes the panic test immediately. It even gives Fanatics as an example. I guess it is to stop people declaring charges and not fleeing from panic in the Movement phase if they actually get into combat.

If your fleeing chariot hit your unit and you don't panic until the end of the phase you could declare a charge to get them into combat (which makes them immune to panic). This little bit is to stop that situation happening. It really depends on if you call failing a Waagh roll as a random happening.

EvC
15-01-2009, 23:23
Yeah, that's pretty random. Good spot!