PDA

View Full Version : How to get them durn kids of your lawn

arxhon
29-11-2005, 22:44
Or away from the front of the store, or whatever.

Like birds perched on telephone wires, surly teenagers used to plant themselves on the railings just outside the door, smoking, drinking, shouting rude words at customers and making regular disruptive forays inside.

"On the low end of the scale, it would be intimidating for customers," said Robert Gough, who, with his parents, owns the store. "On the high end, they'd be in the shop fighting, stealing and assaulting the staff."

Gough (pronounced GUFF) planned to install a sound system that would blast classical music into the parking lot, another method known to horrify hang-out youths into dispersing, but never got around to it. But last month, Stapleton gave him a Mosquito for a free trial. The results were almost instantaneous. It was as if someone had used anti-teenager spray around the entrance, the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off. Where disaffected youths used to congregate, now there is no one.

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+buzz+Teens+cant+stand+it/2100-11395_3-5974937.html?part=rss&tag=5974937&subj=news

I say good. Kids hanging around and being a nuisance to people is a right pain in the ass, and can be intimidating for senior citizens. They aren't doing anything except being wastes of flesh anyway, so they can do it somewhere else instead of in front of the store.

starlight
29-11-2005, 22:48
....and I was going to say, just turn on the sprinkler.:D

Luke
29-11-2005, 22:50
its a terrific idea, i saw it on newsround the other day :D

but i prefere the classical music idea. although i would be tempted to actually hang around the shop if it played any holst :p

Yog Sogoth
29-11-2005, 22:52
Well being a grumpy anti-establishment type twenty year old I say:

******* that!

If I was one of those kids and they pulled that those speakers would probably be rigged to play slayer or something instead (and I don't even like metal! just on principle...)

Edit

Apparently there was a whole article that I missed... And in reply to that:

Still sucks.

Smoking Frog
29-11-2005, 22:58
Their parents shouldn't be so soft in the first place. If their parents layed the hard lines, and if the kids disobeyed and were appropriately disciplined (eg: smacked, locked up, chores etc), this **** wouldn't be such a problem.

I'm a firm believer in really tough love. I don't give a flying ******* about what pussy ****-ants say, kids should be disciplined when they do wrong, and be allowed to play without fear of getting sued.

Inquisitor Samos
30-11-2005, 01:50
I'm in total agreement with you, Frog! That's exactly the kind of bringing-up that my boys are getting, and going to keep getting!

I do like the idea of that little "dispersal noise" gadget for young unruly loiterers, though........ sure beats the heck out of calling the constabulary down on 'em, less confrontational.

Tom - Heretic
30-11-2005, 02:03
What's wrong with a cricket bat and a couple of good swings?

Tom: Founding member of the "let's clean out the gene pool" group.

m1s1n
30-11-2005, 03:51
Since when has WarTent ever really cared about senior citizens (Harborc aside . . . )? Sure, I think it is smart and clever--and I think those kids need to get a real life (like painting 28mm heroic scale plastic men)--but what does it matter if these kids want to be delinquint? Furthermore, shouldn't we be asking the question "Why did it have to get to this point?" Isn't there something the community can do besides chase them away? Why not encourage programs, or activities aside from sub-culture social lashback?

Wraith
30-11-2005, 06:51
Isn't there something the community can do besides chase them away? Why not encourage programs, or activities aside from sub-culture social lashback?

:eyebrows:

**Rubs fingertips and thumb together**

It'll go to crap sooner or later -- police state or increase civil disorder.

[ooo posts 666 ;) ]

Minister
30-11-2005, 07:41
Electrified razorwire and claymores. You know it makes sense.

Also keeps the cats from defecating on the back lawn.

nevermore
30-11-2005, 09:24
What we need is landmines!!

other than that, i have found putting corrosive jelly on walls, fences and other fixtures stops people from hanging round them.

Renka
30-11-2005, 13:52
I would definently be happy if my community invested in such a "gadget". There are always HUGE groups of brats hanging out around the local buss station and pizza place, and there's just no way to get ridd of them! My brother and his friends have resorted to trying to run them over with their car or play perverts in front of the girls to drive them away.

nikolai7
30-11-2005, 14:44
well ive been begging for a m60 and a few thousand rounds to "disperse" the ****s that live near me.. but everyone else thinks its not such a great idea.. shows how much they know

Suoli
30-11-2005, 15:11
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why it's so wrong to gather in public places. Are the kids in Britain really that scary? :confused:

Luke
30-11-2005, 16:03
i was a kid once. i grew up in a post industrial ex-mining town that was in the record books twice for alcohol related reasons. i was a square by most standards, but even me and my mates used to hang around in gangs and vandalize property, set fires and graffiti stuff. the kids these days are even worse. discipline is almost non existant compared to even a few years ago. the point is, kids will hang around in public places for no other reason but to cause mischief. ever been a kid? im sure you have, the fact is that one youth poses little problem as he/she has no one to supposedly impress, however if you factor in more youths, you will find the potential for mayhem increases as a combination of peer pressure and general youthful bravado can lead to only one outcome.

unruly kids.

hurling abuse makes kids feel important. graffiti and vandalism makes them feel unique. wearing hoodies is used to intimidate. drinking cider and smoking is also another sign of rebellion.

i myself have never once walked past a group of kids without them:
A: insulting me
B: assaulting me
C: running away in fear of me calling the police.

maybe thats just the story around the midlands. we might be unique. though i doubt it.

Inquisitor Samos
30-11-2005, 16:37
What we need is landmines!!Nah, I have to say I'm against these....... I'd surely forget where I put them, much to my own discomfort! :p

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why it's so wrong to gather in public places. Are the kids in Britain really that scary? :confused:There's nothing at all that's wrong with gathering in public places, so long as the group plans on being at least relatively polite and peaceful about it.

It's the gathering in public places for the purpose of then proceeding to verbally and sometimes physically harass and abuse any other passers-by that's a problem!

Just look at what Luke said:

C: running away in fear of me calling the police. I have trouble seeing how anyone could fail to say that this situation is just plain wrong.

maybe thats just the story around the midlands. we might be unique. though i doubt it.I'll grant you, I don't see or hear about many instances of things anywhere near that severe where I live....... but we certainly do occasionally see crowds of badly-dressed rude young hecklers using foul language on anyone and everyone who comes past.

There seems to be little fear amongst the shopowners of calling the deputies to deal with them if they get too rowdy, though, which seems to have a moderating effect.

The Phoenix
30-11-2005, 17:25
So...

If say, and 18 year old who had money wanted to shop there, they'd be turned away by the high pitched noise and probably not return for a second purchase. Same for anybody with good hearing who's in their early to mid 20's. Sounds real smart...

I'd go with the classical music myself.

-Phoenix

Reinnon
30-11-2005, 17:46
bear traps, all problems in life can be solved with bear traps

won't get them off the lawn/railings/etc....but it will give them time to consider the error of their ways

The pestilent 1
30-11-2005, 23:32
C: running away in fear of me calling the police.

Heh. They just throw abuse/ Call me gay with me.

Yeah. Gay is an insult again.

I say give me the power to commit any murder i wish for one day with no repurcussions.
Heck, make it nationwide, but with IQ and personalitie tests.
And no Burberry. Or "Goths"
Heck. Just Geeks.
And it isnt any given day -its decided by the individual-

See how long societie rejects us then.

Oh, and Phoenix - The sound only becomes irritating after about twenty minutes.

The Geek shall inherit the earth.
Shortly after the weapons we created have annihilated everyone else.

arxhon
30-11-2005, 23:39
Since when has WarTent ever really cared about senior citizens (Harborc aside . . . )? Sure, I think it is smart and clever--and I think those kids need to get a real life (like painting 28mm heroic scale plastic men)--but what does it matter if these kids want to be delinquint? Furthermore, shouldn't we be asking the question "Why did it have to get to this point?" Isn't there something the community can do besides chase them away? Why not encourage programs, or activities aside from sub-culture social lashback?

I would say it got to this point either because nobody has done anything about it, or doing things about it just gets you beat up.

I don't know about england, or where you live, but there are youth groups around here for teens. Sometimes, they're funded by the city, or community hall, and some churches run them as well for the more faith-minded teen, who isn't likely to get into trouble much anyway.

Thing is, the kind of teen that's going to hang around outside stores shouting "faggot" at people as they walk by isn't likely to go to a youth group, since they're for "losers".

The pestilent 1
30-11-2005, 23:42

Hush your relentless logic. :p
'They' (much as i hate the term) are the only people that are lower than Geeks.
Even Goths get more respect these days!
Hell, i was insulted because i knew what a Paradox is, in todays English lesson!
A-level English!

neXus6
30-11-2005, 23:46
:p
Sounds like you have some real intelectuals in your class.

I'd probably hang round a place that played Classical music for two reasons, if it was good Classical music I'd be there for the music and also it would keep most teenagers away, and as one, I can clearly say, I hate teenagers. :D

I have a lot of problems with the facthat if I get assaulted by a kid I can't kick his **** without getting in trouble myself. I've never thrown a punch because of this fact, I've been attacked on several occations, though not in over a year now thankfully.

Inquisitor Samos
01-12-2005, 03:03
Hell, i was insulted because i knew what a Paradox is, in todays English lesson!
A-level English!Well, ain't that sweet of them, insulting you for having some knowledge, for studying, and maybe even having some common sense.

Once upon a time, the same thing happened to yours truly...... and I admit it, as a teenager I was certainly an "egghead" and a "geek," since I generally knew the answers to the days' lessons before the teachers jumped our asses for not having studied our assignments, and because I liked to read for enjoyment and I played miniatures and role-playing games.

But I'm also the one who's currently making $80K per year doing a job I enjoy instead of cleaning up toilets of other peoples' messes, changing the oil in other people's cars every day, or mopping floors and emptying trash cans every night, like some of my one-time hecklers are presently doing to earn a living........

nikolai7
01-12-2005, 09:53
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why it's so wrong to gather in public places. Are the kids in Britain really that scary? :confused:

its not all groups of kids.. i suppose thats a bit vague.. its the groups of delinquent kids, who decide that the best form of entertainment is to intimidate the general public and beat people up for no reason.. i know for a fact because i used to be in that group not beating people up but generally heckling and causing trouble

Puffin Magician
01-12-2005, 10:35
I find this really amusing. Not only is it [apparantly] effective, but it's exactly what the loitering/trouble-seeking teenagers can't retaliate against. They can't smart-mouth to it, spit on it, or call in some buddies to kick it's ****. Disperse or suffer, pubescent malcontents!

If say, and 18 year old who had money wanted to shop there, they'd be turned away by the high pitched noise and probably not return for a second purchase. Same for anybody with good hearing who's in their early to mid 20's. Sounds real smart...
Well nothing says the Mosquito has to be constantly activated. They'd just blast it out when some punks show up and stir up trouble. Like cacophonic mace!

Since when has WarTent ever really cared about senior citizens?
Senior citizens give you advice and candy. Teenagers give you attitude and headaches. Teenagers suck!

neXus6
01-12-2005, 10:50
Yep it has been for a long time obvious that the WarTent community hate teenagers and children as much as any other group. :p

Thud
01-12-2005, 18:08
Stop bitching and get back to the nursery home, you old farts. :p

We are the future, you know. :D

Crazy Harborc
01-12-2005, 18:40
m1s1n caused me to realize the perfect solution..........My old trusty pump action air rifle. I can just REALLY pump that sucka up maybwe pop, some gonads.:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Heck just starting a conversation can get them "to move along, nothing to see here, move along". Seems to make them realllll nervous when I start talking crazy;)

Lawn sprinklers or a good hosing followed by a frayed electric cord thrown in a puddle can work wonders.;)

m1s1n
01-12-2005, 18:47
m1s1n caused me to realize the perfect solution..........My old trusty pump action air rifle. I can just REALLY pump that sucka up maybwe pop, some gonads.:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Well I'm glad when you think of me violence springs to mind.;)

I guess my point is that the problem isn't really getting solved by chasing the kids off. arxhon is right--these kids have not become model citizens, and simply telling them to go run along and play nice isn't going to make the world right. But then again if we say they are too far gone, and that we cannot reach out to them now what are we to expect from them ten years down the line?