PDA

View Full Version : 3K Competitive Bretonnians

Malorian
15-01-2009, 16:51
Ok so to just explain where this is coming from, for a long time I've had a solid 2K list but when I went up to 3k I would have more fun and go magic heavy. Recently I've been thinking about all the deamon and vampire lists out there and I need to up my game.

I know my biggest problem is fear and being forced to pass a test before I charge, so I've added elements to deal with that. So here is the list and I'll go over it in the end.

Lord w/ silver lance, shield, virtue of the ideal, horse (234)
Paladin *BSB* w/ horse, warbanner, virtue of duty (129)
Damsel on horse w/ 2 scrolls *general* (130)

9 KE w/ FC, errantry banner (221)
9 KE w/ FC (201)
9 KotR w/ FC, banner of chalons (250)
9 KotR w/ FC (240)
8 KotR w/ FC (216) *lord here*
8 KotR w/ FC (216) *bsb here*
17 skirmishing archers w/ villein (124)

5 pegasus knights (275)
9 questing knigts w/ FC (279)
5 mounted yeomen w/ musician (82)

9 grail knights w/ FC, banner of defense (402) *damsel here*

Total: 2999

Ok first thing that some of you will notice is the lack of magic. In fact I only added the caddie with a groan as I really don't think that most armies can kill 150 points of knights with magic before I charge them on turn 2, but now that I've added the (very) expensive grail knights I need to stop those black horrors and gates from ripping them apart.

Secondly... the grail knights. Since I first started playing brets I've have always been against grail knights. They are just so expensive and just as easy to kill as regular knights. However I think that in 3k I have enough elements to distract my opponent (plus fast cav to cover them) that they can get to combat, plus their ItP means that I don't care about fear and can rip up a unit of grave guard in no time.

Thirdly, I've included my uber-lord since I need a character killer to deal with vampires and 5 autohitting str 6 attacks seems to fit the bill. The virtue of the ideal means that he can't be the general so that damsel will have to be, but she'll be safe in the middle of the grail knights.

Fourthly, I've added another unit of KE. Again I've always said you should always take just one unit since you can only take that magical banner once, and the rick of being baited isn't worth it, but now with there being so much fear around I need another unit that can charge in without having to test (plus their WS3 will still hit skeletons on a 3+).

Oh, and if I see a unit with a vampire lord in it, it is so taking the grail knights and both knight errant lances in the face :)

So what do you think?

(P.S. The villein is here to stay when ever I have 5 points to spare. He's me ;) )

EldarBishop
15-01-2009, 17:36
Personally I'd do this to the list (though I dont usually play 3k games), and I'm not figuring out the points (I know that you can do that yourself)

- add FC to PKn unit
- a second unit of Yeoman (I love fast cav) - edit: also, your Yeoman should have Shields
- another Damsel as well (even if is just for the MR and DD)
- maybe another hero (three is really light for 3k)
- Trebuchet is nice from time to time, in a game this size I'd prob take it since it's cheap

To solve your Errantry banner issue, you could just use the Errantry War list... :D

alex17
15-01-2009, 17:42
highest ld has to be the general, so the lord has to be the general, not the damsel

Malorian
15-01-2009, 17:47
Hmmm

I've thought about a musician and/or banner on the pegasus knights (especially the musician) but it's so expensive.

I don't see the point in extra heros. My orc list is always maxed out, but it's hard to justify a hero when you can usually get a lance for the same cost.

alex17, the virtue of the ideal specifically says he can't be the general.

EldarBishop
15-01-2009, 17:53
I try to run full cmd on my PKn when I can (sometimes it's only 4 models at 2k).
I find it helps since they can fan on rolls, and then lose due to CR. And, if you're going to spend the 275ish points for 5 of them, I'd go the extra 30ish for the full cmd as well.

g0ddy
15-01-2009, 18:00
Men at Arms horde not withstanding... is there such a thing as a uncompetitive Bretonian army?
:evilgrin:

Do you normally run all 9 man units of knights? It seems.. a bit out of place to me?

~zilla

Malorian
15-01-2009, 18:37
How are 9 man units out of place?

I find that 12 is just too big and I'd rather have more units.

EldarBishop
15-01-2009, 22:18
I normally run about 50% 9-man lances, and 50% 6-man lances.