PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen vs Warriors of Chaos

Prophet of Quetzl
15-01-2009, 21:13
I'm facing up against WoC soon but I've not played against them since their new list came out and I've no idea what to expect. I don't have their book but I do have the get-you-by pdf, did much change in the final book?

Basically, it's gonna be 1500pts and I was planning on using my all-comers list (6th ed.) but I got some feedback that it will really struggle against WoC. My all-comers list is something like:

JSoD
Skink Priest

15 Saurus
15 Saurus
13 Skinks
13 Skinks
10 Skinks Scouts

4 Krox
3 Terries
3 Terries

2 Salamanders

I'm not really into tailoring my list for specific opponents but I am considering a change of direction this time - I hear that the Saurus will do poorly in particular.

What I could really do with knowing is: what are the WoC's main strengths and weaknesses, what match-ups are good/bad for the various LM units and what game play should I be looking for.

Cheers in advance.

Malorian
15-01-2009, 21:27
There are a LOT of builds he might be using, but in general your salamanders are going to be gold for you.

Saurus cav with the blessed banner of extra movement will help you against knights.

Skinks should be able to take care of the hounds and bait frenzied units.

In fact the best thing you could do is a skink horde with a scarvet general to give leadership backed up by salamanders. (Notice how this avoids combat)

W0lf
15-01-2009, 22:19
He will likely go magic or knight heavy (assuming hes playing a competitive list).

If he takes warriors laugh... march block them and flank them later on.

A JSOD is good, against warriors id be tempted to take 3x Scar vets with GWs.

Unless you know he takes nurgle magic ofc.

Prophet of Quetzl
17-01-2009, 19:12
thanks for the advice. i couldn't resist tweaking the list a little so here is my latest effort:

JSoD
Skink Priest (Lvl 2 w/Diadem)
Skink Priest (Lvl 2)

10 Skinks (J&Sh)
10 Skinks (J&Sh)
10 Skinks (J&Sh)
10 Skinks (Bp, Scouts)

4 Krox
12 Saurus (Quetzl)
12 Saurus (Quetzl)

3 Salamanders

Any better? (if a Mod wants to move this to the Fantasy Army Lists sub-forum that would be cool with me)

w3rm
17-01-2009, 19:45
Sorry to sound ignorant but what is JSOD?

FallenAfh
17-01-2009, 19:46
One think you might want to take into consideration are Disc Riders. They should be able to take on everything in your list while you have few options to take them out effectively.

GodlessM
17-01-2009, 19:48
When is this game?

Prophet of Quetzl
17-01-2009, 19:54
Sorry to sound ignorant but what is JSOD?
Jaguar Saurus of Doom/Death - basically a Saurus Scar-Vet (Hero) or Saurus Oldblood (Lord) with the Charm of the Jaguar Warrior (Enchanted item giving the bearer M9)

One think you might want to take into consideration are Disc Riders. They should be able to take on everything in your list while you have few options to take them out effectively.
Discs! aw-man I thought they were only in the daemons list (my turn to be ignorant w3rm!). What's the deal with these gus then?

When is this game?
Monday

FallenAfh
17-01-2009, 20:19
Discs! aw-man I thought they were only in the daemons list (my turn to be ignorant w3rm!). What's the deal with these gus then?

Basically Tzeentch Exalteds with a Flail, 2+ Armor Save (shield against shooting) and Ward saves in two flavours :Golden Eye for vanilla 3+ against shooting or Armor of Morrslieb for 3+ against non magical attacks (so most shooting and basically everything in your army). They also cause fear thanks to the Disc.

So think of them as a sort of souped up version of a JSoD. They'll probably go hunting for your Priest (laughing at your skink shooting) and can possibly take down your saurus and krox units if they can get the flank.

Angelust
17-01-2009, 20:20
WoC disc-riders are usually characters riding on a disc, not the screamer monstrosities Daemons have. Since Chaos sorcerors are no slouches in combat, you'll sometimes see magic heavy TZ armies with multiple flying wizards that can shoot at you with flickering fire, or harass you/charge warmachines.

If he's playing a more traditional WoC kind of army with blocks of troops like marauders, warriors, and knights, you'll probably lose in straight up front-to-front combat. You'll probably want to use your fliers and Salamanders to full effect, and try to position yourself for march blocking and flanking tactics.

I really don't think WoC are super competitive unless you try to beat them in the close combat phase toe-to-toe.