PDA

View Full Version : Concept: Mono-Slaanesh daemons using counts-as

Draxas
16-01-2009, 09:45
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, as it's a bit about modeling/conversions, and a bit about background. In any case I just had an idea for a concept army based around Slaanesh. Everywhere I read about Daemons I see this big fluff debate going on about how the Dark Gods aren't best buddies with each other and what not. And yet, if you go the fluffy route and make a mono-god army it is usually weak because it is not well-rounded. So it occurred to me that I could make an army based on Slaanesh but using the entire range of rules for the armybook, using counts-as models converted from various different things.

For example, I could have a unit representing plaguebearers that I call Masochists of Slaanesh, and I could use the Dark Eldar Grotesque models to represent them. Bloodletters could be represented by Sadists of Slaanesh, though I'm not sure what model conversion I would use for them. So on and so forth.

After all, the realm of Chaos/the Warp is pretty vast and I'm sure that each of the gods has more than a mere three varieties of attendants at their disposal. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas to add to this concept?

Kerill
16-01-2009, 09:47
Its quite a common idea, you can go to the daemonic legion forums for some examples as well.

Draxas
16-01-2009, 09:55
Its quite a common idea, you can go to the daemonic legion forums for some examples as well.
Where might I find the daemonic legion forums? Did a Google search for it and couldn't find forums by that description.

Briohmar
16-01-2009, 10:03
Absolutely, I am using my converted sisters repentia (formerly Slaaneshi marauders) as Bloodletters, and my old amazons (now converted to having rending claws) as horrors. They look very Slaaneshi, and keep the theme of my army strongly Slaanesh, while employing more than a single dimension.

Look here for the legion: http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showforum=1

Kerill
16-01-2009, 10:03
Here:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?act=idx

I've seen a few other armies elsewhere as well, this guy did something similar for Tzeentch:

http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=13520&st=0

Draxas
16-01-2009, 21:04
Absolutely, I am using my converted sisters repentia (formerly Slaaneshi marauders) as Bloodletters, and my old amazons (now converted to having rending claws) as horrors. They look very Slaaneshi, and keep the theme of my army strongly Slaanesh, while employing more than a single dimension.

Look here for the legion: http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showforum=1

Are you referring to the Mordheim Amazons? I can see how those could be Slaaneshi, they are all showing some cleavage and with the right colors could look like palace attendants or something of that sort. I was wondering what I might use to represent Horrors so that's an interesting option. Did you use any conversion bits for them other than the claws?

For Bloodletters I was thinking of using Witchhunter Arco-Flagellants, they look suitably inhuman and menacing and have scary, bizarre metal devices for arms. Unfortunately they're also metal and would make up the majority of my troops so that could get expensive.

Draxas
17-01-2009, 11:29
Wanted to update with some of the conversion ideas I had. These will all be painted in the same color scheme as you can see on the Daemonettes up on the GW website, as their unifying theme. Ashen pale skin with black and lavender bits as accents, depending on the model.

Going to use the Genestealer models to represent Horrors. Toying around with concept ideas for these guys. I could write some fluff about how they are the souls of wizards or psykers that fell to the depravations of Slaanesh. Another idea is that they could be psychically vampiric Warp/Chaos Realm entities that feed off the vibrations of others emotions. After sucking up all this energy (particularly from feeling the rush of adrenaline going through potentially hundreds of enemy soldiers on the battlefield), they practically glow with power and can release it in the form of spells. I could maybe call them Mindbenders of Slaanesh, Vamps of Slaanesh, or something else, open to suggestions here.

I'll be using Chaos Warhounds to represent Flesh Hounds in WFB, or Seekers in 40k. These are Slaanesh's hunters that live for the thrill of the chase and revel in the satisfaction of catching the prey in their jaws. Not sure what to call them, Hunters of Slaanesh?

For Bloodcrushers I'll be using Ogre bodies/heads with an assortment of big nasty sharp arms from the Carnifex and Possessed Marines sprues. Going to call these Ravenous Gorgers of Slaanesh, the souls of those who were extreme gluttons in life who fell into the trap of Slaanesh.

I'm tired so I'll type up some more stuff tomorrow. One thing I'm still puzzling on are what to represent Bloodletters with. I'm pondering using Bloodletter models and attaching a claw to their offhand and painting them the Slaanesh colors. Arco-flagellants would probably work rather well but they are expensive, being metal. I could also use Daemonettes models but then attaching the Bloodletter sword arm. Sisters Repentia also look interesting, what did you do for your conversion Briohmar?

Briohmar
17-01-2009, 12:37
Are you referring to the Mordheim Amazons? I can see how those could be Slaaneshi, they are all showing some cleavage and with the right colors could look like palace attendants or something of that sort. I was wondering what I might use to represent Horrors so that's an interesting option. Did you use any conversion bits for them other than the claws?

For Bloodletters I was thinking of using Witchhunter Arco-Flagellants, they look suitably inhuman and menacing and have scary, bizarre metal devices for arms. Unfortunately they're also metal and would make up the majority of my troops so that could get expensive.

I actually had a large bunch of the original Amazons, some of which had the las-pistols and power fists. Most have bracelets on their wrists, which is where I connected the rending claw forearms. This gives them a bit of the old school horror look, in that their arms are much longer, and the hands are larger by proportion than a human hand should be. I left the rest alone as they all had bird skull helmets and feather head-dresses, which just adds to the Tzeentch concept a bit. Then I painted them with blue flesh and pink bikinis and loin-cloths. obviously the claws are off white, as are the bird skulls, and some gold jewelry, the feathers are a variety of blue green and yellow. Over-all, they look pretty good, I think, and if my camera was working, I'd post some pics.

I didn't mention earlier, I use Dark Eldar Warp Beasts for flesh hounds. The have mostly muscle and sinew instead of flesh, which gives them a good feel, and their tails all have barbed tips, which adds more to the Slaanesh feel.

Znail
17-01-2009, 13:58
Considering the quality of the Daemon book so does it work fine using an all Slaanesh force without suffering too badly. Its not as strong as a mixed force, but your friends will like you better for that :cool:

Briohmar
17-01-2009, 14:55
Actually, it's a counts as, mixed daemonic force, but it looks better if it has a similar appearance. I use a Keeper, a Slaanesh Herald, a Tzeentch Herald (serpent priestess), Daemonettes, Sisters Repentia (Bloodletters), Amazons (Horrors), Harpies (Furies), Seekers, Warpbeasts (Fleshhounds), and Fiends. But it looks good, and that's what counts.

spetswalshe
17-01-2009, 20:01
I think this is a great idea. It's a good list when the powers are combined, but I'm always a little disturbed when I see the disparate gods of chaos working together in perfect unison.

Draxas
18-01-2009, 20:26
I did some more brainstorming yesterday and came up with some new ideas.

After much deliberation, to represent Bloodletters, I'm going to use Witch Elves models. They will be called Sadists of Slaanesh, a variant breed of daemonette that evolved in the torture chambers of Slaanesh's palace. Daemonettes who grow to love inflicting pain above all other sensations evolve hands with which to grip their wickedly curved blades, and lure victims to them with their beauty. This was one of the tougher choices to make, I was deciding between Sisters Repentia, Witch Elves, Dark Eldar Wyches, and Arco-flagellants, and converted Bloodletters given a claw arm. I think the Witch Elves will mesh best with the theme because they look sexy and menacing at the same time, and their blades are quite jagged and wicked looking.

For Flamers I'm going to use the Empire Wizards box. There's enough stuff for two in each box, with lots of customization options to make each look unique, and many of them look quite macabre. Sort of an old-school Faustian sorcerer look. They will be called Pyromancers of Slaanesh, the damned souls of arsonists, pyromaniacs and Fire wizards who grew obsessed with the beauty of flames and the joy of burning things a bit too much.

To represent a Herald of Khorne on Bloodcrusher I'm going to use the Lord of Slaanesh WoC model (the one on the boobsnake). He seems a fitting overlord for a Slaaneshi army in general and being in a position of command, he could fit in with the various units he might be placed with.

I'm still deliberating on what to use for the Herald of Tzeentch. One idea I've had is using the Harlequin Shadowseer model, and replacing the pistol arm with a claw arm of some sort. I could call it the Illusionist of Slaanesh or something similar. I'm open to ideas for this one, it's still in deliberation.

And finally an idea I've had to represent a Bloodthirster which I think will be a REALLY cool conversion. I'd take the Dragon Ogre Shaggoth model, take off the arms and replace them with a whole row of tyranid carnifex arms, and the placing dragon-like wings on the back, using liberal greenstuff as necessary. Not sure what to call it yet.