PDA

View Full Version : BSB w Great Weapon?

Satan
16-01-2009, 22:29
You may end up thinking me an idiot for asking this, but it's probably passed me by. I played a game with my opponent just now (dark elves) whose BSB was armed with a great weapon. Is this legal?

We don't have the rulebook with us and I don't think he came up with the idea himself, but got it from a more experienced player, such as from a tournament environment.

Talash
16-01-2009, 23:01
Perfectly legal for army books written recently, where the hero carrying the BSB may be equipped with anything else he likes. High/Dark Elves, Daemons, WoC, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen (will be) are all like that, as far as I know.

Nurgling Chieftain
16-01-2009, 23:02
Yes, it's legal for Dark Elves.

In older army books, BSB's were generally unable to take additional mundane weapons, but that restriction has been conspicuously absent for quite a few army books now, and appears to be getting phased out altogether in an agonizingly slow fashion.

Neckutter
16-01-2009, 23:35
all the above is true, much to my chagrin. it doesnt make sense at all, but there you have it. heroes are able to hold a huge flag, and wield a massive sword at the same time.

Nurgling Chieftain
17-01-2009, 00:14
all the above is true, much to my chagrin. it doesnt make sense at all, but there you have it. heroes are able to hold a huge flag, and wield a massive sword at the same time.They stick it in the ground. :cool:

Neckutter
17-01-2009, 00:17
i would believe it more, if they just taped it to their back or something. :)

Nurgling Chieftain
17-01-2009, 00:20
For some reason back banners is more of a 40k thing, but sure.

Neckutter
17-01-2009, 00:24
ew, none of my models have those silly things. it screams "shoot me, im important!!"
even the special marine characters i use. i just throw their backbanner into my bits box. i dont know their name, but its the crimson fists marine, and captain sicarius.

Condottiere
17-01-2009, 06:04
The Japanese liked carrying backbanners.

However, heraldry developed in Europe because everyone wanted to know who that bloke in the black armour was, and not accidentally cut down their brother in law.

Fellblade
17-01-2009, 06:44
The BSB weapon restrictions were a product of 6th edition, if I recall. The Empire book was the last one to fully enforce the BSB's equipment limit. Orks started breaking that "rule", then after that it was simply gone.

Alathir
17-01-2009, 06:53
Yeah, its all true and I have zero problem with it, I found BSB's a little too fragile if you gave them a magic banner before anyway, now they can at least lay down some hurt.

My gaming group and I have house ruled that this is legal for all army books as its obvious what the end result will be, no point in enforcing it onto those without new army books.

Fellblade
17-01-2009, 07:04
My gaming group and I have house ruled that this is legal for all army books as its obvious what the end result will be, no point in enforcing it onto those without new army books.

I agree. If an opponent in a friendly game asked "hey, is it cool if I use this?" I'd be okay with it. Tournaments are another matter.
Likewise, I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking, say, a 25pt magic banner and 25pts of other magic gear since it doesn't add up to more than 50pts. My suspicion is GW doesn't permit this because its easier to write "no gear if banner is magic" than listen to whining about how you take 50pts of magic gear then stack on a 125pt banner since its the "only" thing that goes over the limit and going over the limit is okay for a magic banner... RIGHT?>!?
Sometimes its just easier to say "No."

Mr_Rose
17-01-2009, 10:46
They stick it in the ground. :cool:
Alternatively, the banner pole becomes the weapon. Ogres seem to do this one a lot.

Satan
17-01-2009, 11:17
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Another slight issue to add to the pile of things lacking from my WE. ;P

Just kidding, probably still a little bitter about getting my butt handed to me last night. ;)

Neckutter
18-01-2009, 13:06
speaking of PWNED! but my bret. bsb got murdered by wulfrik(wulfrik didnt pick a model to get +2S or anything). in fact my whole brettonians army pretty much lost because i couldnt kill chaos spawns on the charge. YAY for rubber lance syndrome.

but yeah, bretonnians need their requisite BSB to have 2+ armor, and not 3+ armor.

Nurgling Chieftain
18-01-2009, 16:05
That's what the Gromril Great Helm is for. ;)

Neckutter
19-01-2009, 14:16
and no magic banner?
surely you jest!

Nurgling Chieftain
19-01-2009, 16:43
...No, I don't jest. If you want a magic Bretonnian banner, you're best putting it on a unit standard bearer, IMO. Only the Banner of the Lady is restricted to the BSB, and that's just too juicy a target for a BSB to survive running around with.

EldarBishop
19-01-2009, 16:54
If I take a magic banner on my Bret BSB, it's usually the War Banner (combined with VoDuty, for LOTS of CR), or it's the Banner of the Lady (rarely, since its SO expensive).

Taking magic items is certainly viable on BSB as oppose to a magic banner. I do this occassionally as well.

edit, back OT:
Though, it'll be nice when everyone can get mundane upgrade options for their BSB... and not just the newer armies (which I guess is most of them now...)