PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WE Orion and Wild Hunt Competitive List

Vinsanity
17-01-2009, 09:19
Hey all. I recently bought Orion because of how cool the model looks. Now I am looking to do a WE Wild Hunt style army list based on him for fairly competitive play. Ive only bought Orion so far as I plan to convert wild riders as centaurs from wood elf horses and ungor sprues. It would also work out cheaper because here in OZ wild riders are $85 for 5:wtf:

So heres what I was thinking of:

2250 Wild Hunt

Lords

[575] Orion

Heroes

[158] Noble - Alter Kinred, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, gw, la, shield

Core

[129] 5 Glade Riders - musician
[173] 5 Wild Riders - standard, musician, Warbanner
[148] 5 Wild Riders - standard, musician
[130] 5 Wild Riders - musician
[096] 8 Dryads

Special

[151] 8 Wardancers - musician
[144] 8 Wardancers

Rare
[050] Great Eagle
[050] Great Eagle

Total : 2248/2250 pts
Models : 63

So any C&C would be appreciated, don't be afraid to tear this list apart :evilgrin: Thanks in advance ;)

Nicha11
17-01-2009, 09:33
I'm having horrible images of lots of shooting and magic destroying this army.

Vinsanity
19-01-2009, 16:09
Hmm so you think the list will be smashed by gunlines and magic heavy armies? Im a bit more confident in this list than you are I think. :)

I can see that most units are weak to shooting but theyre either skirmishing or are very fast with a ward save (or both). I could possibly move very fast with like 2 wild rider units to get within 9 inches and then would smash the shooty unit in cc after 1 or 2 rounds of their shooting. Alternatively I could manouver out of the shooty units range and just go for other elements of the army. Its not as if I will be running straight at the gunline like you seem to imagine. ;)

Magic heavy armies might be a problem but most of my units have MR1 and I have 4 DD so im fairly confident that I can whether some magic for the first few turns while I manouver. I was thinking that maybe 4 DD isn't enough and I should go for a branchwraith with CoR but id have to make 140pts somewhere...

Im sure that most of my cav units are fast enough to evade any really big threats and Im still confident in the fast abilities of this list... :p

Any other C&C on the list? Come on, where are all the Wood Elf lovers on Warseer? :(

Vinsanity
21-01-2009, 12:51
Im also interested in the capability of this list vs different opponents, especially VCs, DoC and DE since theyre the most common atm in tourneys. Any help from anyone at all?

mossel
21-01-2009, 14:08
I'd try to add a level 1 mage with 2 scrolls and make her glamourweave kindred and mount her on an elven steed. that's not a cheap mage, but will certainly help getting into combat alive!

Pulsks
23-01-2009, 07:54
I personally prefer Wildriders to be in units of 6-8. (That's 3 units of 8 and one unit of 6 to carry Orion on.)
And I'd also do what mossel said, or get a level 1 branchwraith with the dispel sprite.
Possibly another dryad unit to screen the war dancers.

Makarion
23-01-2009, 09:29
Orion is a 600-point liability in a list that is already very vulnerable to magic (and heavy magic is popular nowadays). Add to this that you have no magic of your own, and only 1 baiting unit (ItP prevents all the forest spirits from fleeing, so it's just the glade riders), and you can add monsters as another weakness - you can only hope for 2 units of wild riders in btb with a monster, and not all the models will get to strike. All in all, I don't see how this could be remotely competitive.

AngelsPurgatos
23-01-2009, 14:47
I'm also skeptical about the effectiveness of this list considering its weaknesses. However, it's worth a try - just for the hell of it. It is a rather intimidating list too.

Your eagles and GR should be enough baiters.

My suggestions would be to drop the 6th unit of WR and a wardancer from each unit. Now you have 166 pts. Add a musician to the other dancer unit and a singer with 2 scrolls (or a branchwraith with lvl1 & CoR). With the last 17 pts, add another dryad.

With 6 DD and MR you should be able to survive magic decently. You have to be aggressive about taking out shooters though and careful about stand&shoot reactions.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 14:49
One lord level spell caster would wreak absolute havok on this list. Toughnes three with nothing for an armour save. I would love to run my tagteam of chariots (lion and tiranoc) through this entire list minus maybe orion. But my lord doesnt die.. :) Good luck but no magic defense ..... no return fire...