PDA

View Full Version : What's your local GW?

Rubicon
17-01-2009, 23:14
Just wondering, but I think it'd be cool to find out if any of the people on here were actually people we would recognise!

Mine is GW Brent Cross

Anyone else?

W0lf
17-01-2009, 23:33
GW Hemel hempstead - 20 minute walk away.

failing that St albans and watford store are both a ~25 min drive away.

EDIT:

Same goes for Wolfmother and Papa Wolf

Dasike
17-01-2009, 23:47
GW in Dublin City. I'm there most weekends :D

Sir Charles
17-01-2009, 23:49
I don't think there are any GW anywhere near where I live, the closest might be about half a state away in De Moines, although I'd have to check a location list to be sure if there was even one there. I normally buy stuff at my FLGS Dragons Lair, and when I was actively playing my group would meet at my house.

Edit: Just ran a search to see if there was one in Des Moines and there in fact isn't any with in a hundred miles of there, same with my location.

Chaoschrist
18-01-2009, 00:21
Mine would be the GW store in Aachen (Germany). I'm not there every weekend or so... but usually I pop in once at month (at least)

Preacher
18-01-2009, 00:25
For me... Vaughn Mills or Square One, both in Ontario Canada...hey looky that, first canadian to post, sweet.

Frep
18-01-2009, 00:28
local hmm... GW winnipeg, 4 hours from where I live, well 2 and a bit from where I go to university. I think I've been in a GW a total of 5 times in my life.

Malen Kharn
18-01-2009, 00:30
GW's Lincoln and Peterborough are both 45 minutes drive, and warhammer world is about an hour and a half. But as I work all weekend, and only head down to any of these during the week, I rarely see anyone but staff.

Eldarion
18-01-2009, 00:43
kingston london.

DhaosAndy
18-01-2009, 00:44
GW Kensington

Crazy Harborc
18-01-2009, 00:49
Until 26 Jan. it is GW at St.Louis Mills enclosed mall near St.Louis, Missouri. It's been there about 5 years. Always met GW's sales targets. A busy store with lots of gamers playing there year round. The store IS a good "GW gaming center". A good representitive gaming location for the "hobby of GW". the hobby of 40K, of WHFB, of LoTRs........It will be cleaned out on the 27th. No replacement location within 300 miles is planned.

Thanks GW, way to treat your loyal gamers, your loyal customers.:rolleyes:

movin_pics
18-01-2009, 01:06
im lucky my local store is GW sunderland only 15 mins by foot, it only opened about two months ago 7 years after it shut (same building aswell)

RavenBloodwind
18-01-2009, 01:10
No replacement location within 300 miles is planned.

Hey Harborc, sorry to hear you guys are losing your store. Memphis battle bunker for me and if they ever advertised their tournament schedule, it might be worth your time to come down those 300 miles. Then again, why the hell does anyone buy retail from GW with the FLGSs routinely offer discounts?

Spleendokta
18-01-2009, 01:26
Around the Chicagoland area we have like 15 stores (GW stores) within 30 miles of one another it seems. Most of them are mall stores with limited playing space, however the battlebunker is HUGE. With the new expansion to the bunker, they say it will rival the warhammer world gaming table space.

movin_pics
18-01-2009, 01:37
yeah but will it have a bar

Count Demandred
18-01-2009, 02:01
GW, Chadstone Shopping Centre

Sir Charles
18-01-2009, 03:00
Around the Chicagoland area we have like 15 stores (GW stores) within 30 miles of one another it seems. Most of them are mall stores with limited playing space, however the battlebunker is HUGE. With the new expansion to the bunker, they say it will rival the warhammer world gaming table space.Just ran a search to see if there was one in Des Moines and there in fact isn't any with in a hundred miles of there, same with my location in Omaha. In fact only one state adjacent to NE has a GW store and thats on the opposite end of the state over 400 miles away and Chicago alone has 15 stores? I know Chicago is a big city, but for it to have more stores than a seven state area seems a bit much. I think GW needs to work on its distribution of stores here in the states.

fubukii
18-01-2009, 04:19
games workshop franklin mills for me, 10 minute walk

infyra
18-01-2009, 04:26
Oshawa Centre, Oshawa Ontario for me. About 15 minutes from home and up the escalator from work.

Digital~Punk
18-01-2009, 04:45
I usually go to the oakville HQ in Ontario Canada

Sidorio
18-01-2009, 05:55
The only one i've been to is the one in Clarence Street, Sydney, as there aren't any near where i am... but that one in Sydney was good, and i'd consider going up to Sydney once a month to go there.

movin_pics
18-01-2009, 06:22
I think GW needs to work on its distribution of stores here in the states.

Well GW over here (uk) opened stores every where without really thinking about it then somebody at HQ realized it was stupid and started closing stores, but in there inimitable(sp??) fashion they closed stores in towns and citys with only one store but filled to the raffters on a saturday, mid 08 somebody at HQ who WASN'T on crack realize why dont we re-open stores but on a trial basis with the single staffer, so it might be the case that the token sober guy at your HQ has given up the will too live.

Rant much?

Mooglemen
18-01-2009, 06:28
A search showed my closest official store in Maryland. I live in central PA, Carlisle (if you're ever there, check out the Market Cross Pub, named after Market Cross monument in the square of the Carlisle from across the pond). But, around here we all go to The Adventurer's Guild in Harrisburg. Good store, 25 minute drive, painting tables and both public and private gaming tables.

Disciple of Caliban
18-01-2009, 10:56
GW Durham is my local. Though since it appears there is one in sunderland (thanks for that, i didnt know it had re-opened) i may start making the occasional appearance there since its about the same distance from home

Spleendokta
18-01-2009, 14:54
Just ran a search to see if there was one in Des Moines and there in fact isn't any with in a hundred miles of there, same with my location in Omaha. In fact only one state adjacent to NE has a GW store and thats on the opposite end of the state over 400 miles away and Chicago alone has 15 stores? I know Chicago is a big city, but for it to have more stores than a seven state area seems a bit much. I think GW needs to work on its distribution of stores here in the states.

I took a wild guess on how many in the area, but theres alot more than I would ever expect. Your right, why in gods name would they flood the market here and not have any stores in lets say Iowa?

WhiteKnight
18-01-2009, 15:46
GW Stoneridge mall. Smallest one in the whole US and conveniently located a half mile away from my house.

theunwantedbeing
18-01-2009, 16:50
Preston, unsurprisingly.

Aurellis
18-01-2009, 16:55
I go to GW Leeds and GW Wakefield all the timing

I game at GW Wakefield with my brother and I go to uni in Leeds so I tend to make some purchases on my travels to uni :)

Comrade Igor
18-01-2009, 17:09
/poke Teacher Dave

GW Brent Cross.

JLBeady
18-01-2009, 17:09
GW Willowbrook (Houston, TX) about 10 mins by car. The place can be very hard to navigate on Saturdays. I pop in at least once a week and will be up there for extended time (painting or gaming) about every other week

Da_Greeniest
18-01-2009, 17:30
There are two that I know of in Houston, TX.

One is in Rice Village on Times Blvd.

Another is in the Katy Mills Mall in Katy.

The other game stores around here are so much better though.

Eka
18-01-2009, 18:00
GW Staines, just moved into the area and havn't checked it out yet.

Kerill
18-01-2009, 18:05
No GW as such, nearest store though is Zark, Shanghai.

Rubicon
18-01-2009, 18:30
GW Staines, just moved into the area and havn't checked it out yet.

Used to live in the area and Staines became my local after Richmond closed down, good store, on the high street. Not overly big but some good gaming space.

Tohellweride
18-01-2009, 19:03
Local store is Dundee. Nice friendly gameing group. I try to get down most tuesday nights as its late opening and i can actually get a game in when i finish work.
Sadly i work most weekends and when i am lucky enough to get one off my gf demands i spend time with her. :p

SuperArchMegalon
18-01-2009, 19:21
I go and play at the Seattle Battle Bunker on tuesdays every once in a while.

Sir Charles
18-01-2009, 22:53
I took a wild guess on how many in the area, but theres alot more than I would ever expect. Your right, why in gods name would they flood the market here and not have any stores in lets say Iowa?I know out of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, and Missouri the only store is in St. Louis. You'd think that they'd at least have stores in Denver and Kansas City.

DigbyWeapon
19-01-2009, 00:09
GW Ringwood.

Australia, Victoria.

Digby

lcfr
19-01-2009, 00:18
For me... Vaughn Mills or Square One, both in Ontario Canada...hey looky that, first canadian to post, sweet.

Same here. Though while I'm at school in Ottawa I suppose it's GW Bayshore

Eka
19-01-2009, 01:09
Used to live in the area and Staines became my local after Richmond closed down, good store, on the high street. Not overly big but some good gaming space.

I hear there is also a gaming club in Staines too, any idea about that?

Colfax
19-01-2009, 01:53
I know out of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, and Missouri the only store is in St. Louis. You'd think that they'd at least have stores in Denver and Kansas City.

They did have one in the denver area at Colorado Mills. It closed last November. From what ive heard they closed alot of stores around the nation at the Mills Malls.

lord marcus
19-01-2009, 02:58
see me, well i hate GW. i live in florida, one of the most populated states in america, not to mention a top tourist trap. lots of ways to drag people into starting warhammer, and well, NO DANG gw shop!

*sorry bout that, rant ended*

Crazy Harborc
19-01-2009, 03:05
They did have one in the denver area at Colorado Mills. It closed last November. From what ive heard they closed alot of stores around the nation at the Mills Malls.

Yep, the Colorado Mills store, the (then) fastest growing (in the USA) GW store. St.Louis Mills, always made its quota. Both those stores made NET profits in the green...not the red.

Stuffburger
19-01-2009, 03:14
Don't have a GW local, but my FLGS is a place called dreamwizards. Any marylanders in the house?

Gillburg
19-01-2009, 03:14
middlesbrough uk

slasher
19-01-2009, 09:42
Romford, (greater london) UK

Brucopeloso
19-01-2009, 10:11
I hear there is also a gaming club in Staines too, any idea about that?

As far as I know it's not up and running yet. Ask the staff at GW Staines, they will be happy to put you in touch with the chap organizing it. :)

adhesivespatula
19-01-2009, 18:02
see me, well i hate GW. i live in florida, one of the most populated states in america, not to mention a top tourist trap. lots of ways to drag people into starting warhammer, and well, NO DANG gw shop!

*sorry bout that, rant ended*

Yeah I feel ya, I live in a college town here in Florida and there is no GW shop in sight.

badgeraddict
19-01-2009, 19:22
GW Canterbury, 45mins away by bus.

Jonathais
19-01-2009, 19:35
GW Nottingham Central (about 20 minute walk)

Malorian
19-01-2009, 19:37
There isn't one in Fort McMurray, but in Edmonton I go to the Kingsway shop.

AdamAtCollege
20-01-2009, 00:28
Looks like I'm first to rep California. My store is Ontario, CA, but I'm relatively close to Santa Anita or the LA Battle Bunker.

solvay
20-01-2009, 00:37
Warrington (UK)
along with MAd larkin uk, when hes not at uni in arndale, Andy 10k, and Mike KK, when hes not @ uni

also would it not be a good idea for some1 to make lists of who is at what local store and maybe add a sticky so that people can find a local gamer and send them a pm to arrange a game ?? or find out which gamers you know are on warseer but u didnt realise

grahknar
20-01-2009, 10:07
I'm usually in the middlesbrough store a few times a week.

Neckutter
20-01-2009, 10:53
GW closed the phoenix branch last year i think. it was a shame, but the place didnt have much room.

i hope GW creates another store in AZ sometime soon. doubtful, but i hope at least.

rodmillard
21-01-2009, 00:21
Technically, my local would either be Bath or Salisbury (both about half an hour away on the train). However, I shop at either the GasCupboard in Westbury (where I live) or The Toy Shop in Trowbridge (where I work). In terms of actual gaming, I play more often at the GW battle bunker in Newport (south wales) - my wife's family live there, so I'll be sloping off to GW next time we go down rather than spend time with the in-laws.

Crazy Harborc
21-01-2009, 02:30
GW closed the phoenix branch last year i think. it was a shame, but the place didnt have much room.

i hope GW creates another store in AZ sometime soon. doubtful, but i hope at least.

IMHO, GW is actually pulling back (for now) on it's number of stores in the USA. Less stores mean less rent payments, less utilities costs, less payroll costs with less employees.

Further, I do believe that GW has decided to go back to making it's money through indie stores in the USA. True, GW doesn't collect the FULL retail list price on sales made by indies. BUT...GW does NOT have all the overhead costs of operating those stores anymore.

More indie stores (again) means less need for GW to host/pay for official events. GW can just reimburse the indies for the indies hosting events. The indies will be paying the rent, utilities, payroll etc.

Lazarus15
21-01-2009, 02:44
Games Workshop Tacoma, WA.

The Bunker and the Auburn Store are the next closest.

Red_Dog
21-01-2009, 09:49
GW in Dublin City. I'm there most weekends :D

Blanchardstown > Dublin City :p
Since I live in Blanchardstown I go there, but my local store in Belgium is in Antwerp, it's *******' huge :eek:

Grimmeth
21-01-2009, 09:59
Wolverhampton, UK.
Though it's not that often I'm actually in there of late... Someday I'll sort out my schedule get a full army sorted and get a few games in though...

kaimarion
21-01-2009, 10:08
My local is the GW in Ayr but I don't go there very often although I do hear they have a plastic stompa in store so I'll be popping down there soonish to check it out :D.

Kichang
21-01-2009, 10:26
Warhammer World, Nottingham. I am usually there on a weds. Without warhammer world being so close I doubt I would be into table top gaming to the extent I am.

Foolish Mortal
21-01-2009, 12:25
GW York for me - don't go that often though.

shadow hunter
21-01-2009, 13:13
I dont game in any stores anymore, and buy my stuff online as it is cheaper.

I used to frequent Walsall and Burton on trent.

Now we do the occassional trip to GW HQ (about45 mins away) and have a game. Always visit over christmas shutdown.

I've also been to GW shops in Blackpool, Wolvo, Newcastle, Merryhill and loads of other places around the UK aswell as a few abroad - Sydney Oz (and somewhere else but cant remember now as was travelling at the time), In New Zealand, Germany and probably other places. I get around a lot - and always pop in to one if I see one.

AramilSairSianontel
21-01-2009, 13:16
KAISSA PATRA!
P.s.
Hello Chris!!!)

DoomBringer
21-01-2009, 14:50
I have never been to a GW in the 7 years I have been playing Warhammer.

As for the OP, I think the closest GW is a couple hundred miles away.

Solid State
21-01-2009, 15:10
GW Croydon

Though when I was at uni it was GW Uxbridge.

I've also had the dubious pleasure of working at: GWs, Croydon, Watford, Uxbridge, Enfield and Sutton... XD

Kadrium
21-01-2009, 15:36
The closest GW is nearly 200 miles away from me. I've never seen a GW store.

Jedi152
21-01-2009, 15:41
Warhammer World. I work 5 minutes walk away, although i don't use it to the extent i should really.

I'd miss it if it were gone.

bob_the_small
07-04-2009, 21:33
GW Brent Cross FTW!!!

RCgothic
07-04-2009, 21:43
GW Oxford most of the time, though GW Dundee is closest when I'm at home.

Luthor
07-04-2009, 21:45
GW Novi, although I don't go their often. Kind of a shady place, and I still haven't forgotten the time my eyebrows were burned off by some guys bad breath. I can still taste it.............. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charistoph
07-04-2009, 22:02

Not that it really mattered to me, it's been way to long since I lived near AZ Mills Mall. And like all mall stores, was very tiny. I prefer Empire Games lay out, and the people there, very nice.

LonelyPath
07-04-2009, 22:34
My regular is GW Shrewsbury.

However, since I'm sometimes visiting friends across the country I've frequented most of the GW's throughout England and those in South Wales.

Erie Ed
07-04-2009, 22:43
Don't have one, Don't want one the local game shop is good enough

Brimstone
07-04-2009, 22:52
GW Hemel hempstead - 20 minute walk away.

failing that St albans and watford store are both a ~25 min drive away.

EDIT:

Same goes for Wolfmother and Papa Wolf

hmmm not far away from me then, you should visit our GCN club one Weds.

As far as I know it's not up and running yet. Ask the staff at GW Staines, they will be happy to put you in touch with the chap organizing it. :)

Interesting I work in Egham so as long as it doesn't clash with my other club night I might check it out when it's up and running.

I've also had the dubious pleasure of working at: GWs, Croydon, Watford, Uxbridge, Enfield and Sutton... XD

I wonder if I know you.

I'm going to move this thread to Other GW discussion as it doesn't have much to do with fantasy.

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 03:21
I used to work a couple of blocks from the Memphis Bunker.

For where I live now, I get this.

Using your address, we found the following 0 store(s) within 100 miles

JLBeady
08-04-2009, 04:49
I used to work a couple of blocks from the Memphis Bunker.

For where I live now, I get this.

Using your address, we found the following 0 store(s) within 100 miles

So your one of the poor b****** that got stiffed when the Memphis Bunker closed. No wonder your not too thrilled about Houston getting all those new stores. I really do feel for you by the way. You going to the Big Waaagh?

Hashshashin
08-04-2009, 04:58
I too used to play GW colorado Mills, but now am kind of homeless. there are other stores in the area but none of them are really a place I go as regularly as I did the Mills. Still into the hobby seriously but I just play less, random pickups and the occasional tourney.

I would like to find another gaming "home" but we'll see

Leeman Russ
08-04-2009, 08:00
My 'local' would either be GW Bath or Swindon (both about a half an hour drive). Although I'm quite lucky that there's a very active Wargames club in my home town of Devizes.

Fenrir
08-04-2009, 08:05
Kensington would be mine, but I very rarely go in there.

a squig
08-04-2009, 08:21
GW Sailsbury 5 min from where i work

Mordian Marauder
08-04-2009, 08:22
GW Blackpool

kairous
08-04-2009, 08:30
GW epsom
5 minute walk from where i work.

MindTheGap
08-04-2009, 08:44
Warhammer World (well, mainly Bugmans.......) I really should look at getting more into actually *playing* the games and not just painting stuff, though..... any good tutors out there willing to help a 35 year old newbie learn the ropes?

Radium
08-04-2009, 08:56
Probably Amsterdam, although that's about an 1,5 hours away.

I have a couple of FLGS's nearby though.

DarkReaver
08-04-2009, 08:58
GW Morley

Perth, Western Australia

Small store but so many fun times and memories

Jedi152
08-04-2009, 09:00
Warhammer World (well, mainly Bugmans.......) I really should look at getting more into actually *playing* the games and not just painting stuff, though.....
Sounds pretty familiar. I really need to devote more time to playing.

Tonberry
08-04-2009, 09:05
GW Staines here too, although I haven't actually been in it for about a year >.>

Insane Psychopath
08-04-2009, 09:42
GW Falkirk my main local GW, great staff, around 15 min by train follow by 10 min walk.

GW Edinbrugh because use to work there, 5 min walk but 40ish min train trip.

IP

Dakkagor
08-04-2009, 09:52
GW bluewater is my local, though I've been spotted in GW maidstone, Canterbury and Lakeside on occasion.

Deep-Green-X
08-04-2009, 10:13
Belfast, though haven't been there in a while owing to lack of funds.

vyper
08-04-2009, 10:24
GW Reading for me during term-time.

Over holidays and such I guess it would be GW Hemel Hempstead. So a hello to w0lf and Brimstone. :)

DarthSte
08-04-2009, 10:30
GW York for me - don't go that often though.

I go to GW Leeds and GW Wakefield all the timing

York is my usual. Probably in there every couple of weeks. End up in Leeds or Harrogate maybe once every three or four months.

uncugly
08-04-2009, 10:34
GW epsom

Ditto - I also used to work 5 mins from it, and still live 15 mins or so from it, but as I now work in Guildford, I am no longer lurking in Epsom pretty much every lunchtime :( - In fact haven't been in for ages.

Last GW I was in was Sutton to say hi to the new manager there @ xmas !

I must try and find time on Thurs evenings to get down to the store and play. Never managed to find the guildford store, but i don't work 'in town' so don't have much time to go looking !

uu

Dragonlover
08-04-2009, 10:43
GW Southend for me, its about a half hour bus journey, traffic willing. Don't tend to play there though, since I have another gaming session the same night as Vets Night, I just wander in for a natter and then bugger off again.

Dragonlover

Eigolas
08-04-2009, 11:15
GW Manchester, in there on Wednesday evenings for Fantasy Vet's night and most Saturdays too.

MistaGav
08-04-2009, 11:21
The closest to me is either St Albans or Hemel and both are difficult to get to annoyingly.

Korras
08-04-2009, 11:32
local? none. :(

closest: Amsterdam.

daemonkin
08-04-2009, 11:32
GW Belfast also but don't really buy much anymore apart from odd book or paint. All purchases go through Direct Web Sales (Specialist Games only or Direct Only models) because the wait for models delivered to store is appalling and is hit or miss or for regular stuff I buy from ebay shops or online retailers.

The atmosphere has really changed in recent years with a complete staff clear out that seems to happen every 5-8 years. How long has Rob been there now?

In the old days you could really have a laugh there but No More! Now its company line the whole way. Maybe its me and my nostalgia, maybe not..

D.

Calith
08-04-2009, 11:42
mine is Swindon, five minute drive from my house

invinciblebug
08-04-2009, 11:46
GW Stockholm, a 30min walk from me. Sad thing is almost everyone playing there are 12-.

toonboy78
08-04-2009, 11:49
GW Cambridge.

i have started to go there tues nights. they have about 7 games tables and loads of scenery

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 11:56
So your one of the poor b****** that got stiffed when the Memphis Bunker closed. No wonder your not too thrilled about Houston getting all those new stores. I really do feel for you by the way. You going to the Big Waaagh?

I am sorry if I gave the impression that Houston shouldn't get those stores. I am honestly surprised that they don't have a bunker.

I just do contract work in Memphis now. I moved my family already and I move once tax season is over. I can explain that in PM.

badgeraddict
08-04-2009, 12:12
Soon to be GW Ipswich, about 15-20 minutes walk away. That is if I don't get lost! New to area.

Max_Killfactor
08-04-2009, 12:29
Springfield, VA. It's about a 10 minute drive or an 8 minute walk (I walk extremely fast).

It used to be in a mall, but recently moved to a shopping center nearby... actually about a traffic light closer to my house. I usually go there about once every week or two to pick something up, it's on my way home from work. It's always pretty crowded and seems to be doing very well.

Rumors say GW is also opening another store about 30 min away from me in the Fair Oaks area. I guess GW is doing well in Northern VA. Sucks that some of you have so far to go, I would have never discovered warhammer if I didn't have a GW so close.

Darnok
08-04-2009, 12:44
Well... GW Berlin, right? To be more precise: the store in the Europacenter (GW1). There is another GW store almost the same distance away in the other direction (with me living right in the center of Berlin), but it's too damn small for my taste. That, and the guys working in GW1 are much more friendly. And it's closer to uni. :D

nedsta
08-04-2009, 13:30
Newcastle and the metro centre, but soon i'm hoping to be popping into leeds quite a bit once i've moved,especially now the missus is well keen for getting into it (pity its for dark angels but hey each to their own lol)

monkeymatt
08-04-2009, 13:54
Mine is GW Norwich, From searching it seems no-one in this thread goes to it..

Arador
08-04-2009, 13:57
GW Helsinki for me. A pretty friendly place, and the regulars are good.

rabitshadow
08-04-2009, 14:15
I think my closest would be one in Wigan, but I've never been there. I generally go to GW near Central Station, Liverpool,England.
The staff are really friendly, apart from Alex, grrrrr... Alex...
The only downer is all the 9-12 year old payers, who can't play, hog the tables, and one guy who had space marines that had been literally dipped in enchnted blue had the nerve to say my hellcannon look rubbish. But the staff usually get them to clear up when serious gamers ome anyway.

Angelwing
08-04-2009, 14:27
H,mm. I guess GW Bristol Cribbs Causeway is my local store. I've only been in once though.
My old local store that I drop into now and again is GW Peterborough.
I used to work in GW Luton, with day trips working in Bedford, Watford, St Albans, Milton Keynes and Enfield.

Madgear Thundaklutch
08-04-2009, 14:43
Rumors say GW is also opening another store about 30 min away from me in the Fair Oaks area. I guess GW is doing well in Northern VA. Sucks that some of you have so far to go, I would have never discovered warhammer if I didn't have a GW so close.

4/16. As for my own GW store, we have none. GW Stony Point was closed down in January. I miss having a consistant place to play and I miss the staff, however I feel liberated in the fact that I no longer have to only have GW models to play. We started up a club and have found two relatively local places to play in and just outside of town.

Unite All Action
08-04-2009, 14:57
Games workshop Belfast would have to be the closest to where I live. About half an hour's drive from my house. Second closest would be in the Republic of Ireland Dublin.

At one stage in the past there used to be a second games workshop located in lisburn but it's subsequently closed. Looking back, I think it was the only games workshop store to close in the UK. Although we are going back a few years ago:cries:

Duce
08-04-2009, 15:01
Belfast is also the closest for me, about 20mins drive. Though i don't go there bar random trips for something if i cant wait for a mail order delivery... or need some undercoat spray.

Velsharoon
08-04-2009, 15:01
I miss lisburn :(

selone
08-04-2009, 15:03
Newcastle, England

SylverClaw
08-04-2009, 15:12
Brumyville (Birmingham), UK. Though I think it's a rubbish store and I avoid it unless I absolutely need something on short notice. Staff not especially polite beyond the usual salesmanship and it's the size of a shoebox (a shoebox full of tables at that).

I much prefer Burton on Trent, though it's too far for me most of the time. Staff really friendly and interested, and even when it's quiet there always seem to be a good buzz about the place.

My favourite store is London though... not the Oxford street one, the other one I'm too dense to remember... in the big shed thing with all the posh clothes shops. Nice looking store, well stocked whenever I go in.

Weemo
08-04-2009, 15:15
gw hemel 5min walk/2 min on a bike loool

Emperor's Grace
08-04-2009, 15:54
NYC. Though hardly local at about 400 miles away...

WhiteKnight
08-04-2009, 20:29
GW Stoneridge which is about a 30 minute walk or a 20 minute bike ride for me. Lots of players, just got remodeled, but is the smallest GW store in the whole U.S. Fire marshall put us at a maximum occupancy of 18. We take pride in our pathetic space!

BDJV
08-04-2009, 20:36
GW Stoneridge which is about a 30 minute walk or a 20 minute bike ride for me. Lots of players, just got remodeled, but is the smallest GW store in the whole U.S. Fire marshall put us at a maximum occupancy of 18. We take pride in our pathetic space!

Yeah, that store is a closet! :p I used to work there and it was a chore for anyone to shop at night when there were games being played.

My closest hobby center is the brand spanking new Empire hobby center in Antioch, CA. It's only 2 miles away from my front door! :D

Reaver83
08-04-2009, 20:40
I live closer to GW Bournemouth, but due to where I work and the greater size I go to GW Poole, though I have on a couple of occasions gone to GW Southampton due to working late over there on an evening

kairous
08-04-2009, 20:46
Ditto - I also used to work 5 mins from it, and still live 15 mins or so from it, but as I now work in Guildford, I am no longer lurking in Epsom pretty much every lunchtime :( - In fact haven't been in for ages.

Last GW I was in was Sutton to say hi to the new manager there @ xmas !

I must try and find time on Thurs evenings to get down to the store and play. Never managed to find the guildford store, but i don't work 'in town' so don't have much time to go looking !

uu

Whos the manager of sutton now, last i knew it was kevin before he left the company, a guy i know from croydon, who then worked at epsom, phil, works there now i believe, don't tell me he made manager, if he did, good for him hes a legend.

uncugly
09-04-2009, 07:50
yup Phil is the man - they 'fast tracked' him and he passed in Feb (I think). Really turning the store around, increasing sales on like for like weeks.

Tho tbh I don't know how long he'll stay @ sutton as he is really ambitious and wants to get to a larger store !

Steel Rabbit
09-04-2009, 08:30
While I'm here in Germany, I hang out at GW Freiburg. Back in Vancouver I work at an independent retailer, so I just go there: Strategies Games & Hobbies.

RevEv
09-04-2009, 08:38
Currently Salisbury - a place my life seems to bring me back to no matter how hard I try to escape.

In the last 5 years I've also frequented Darlington and Colchester.

And a very long time ago I was at Cribbs.

Boomstick
09-04-2009, 08:55
GW Birmingham its about 25 mins away, and think its a fun store with fun staff even if table space can be limited.

Duce
09-04-2009, 09:07
I miss lisburn :(

*pats head* there there, at least Northern ireland still has a GW. we should be semi thankful for that i suppose. the belfast one in my eyes has been around for ever. its a hearty lil mistress.

Brother Enok
09-04-2009, 21:54
GW southend for me, when i get down there on a Thursday Night. I think HMSNoodle frequents too, but im not sure who he is IRL. trying to find that out. :P

kairous
09-04-2009, 22:51
yup Phil is the man - they 'fast tracked' him and he passed in Feb (I think). Really turning the store around, increasing sales on like for like weeks.

Tho tbh I don't know how long he'll stay @ sutton as he is really ambitious and wants to get to a larger store !

seeing as he used to work the croydon scene im not surprised:D (never been there but i have heard its fairly big).

Cheers for the info uncugly, might have to make time to pop over to sutton sometime and say hi;)

Bigbot
09-04-2009, 23:10
Derby UK but TBH one member of staff really winds me and my wife up so I often just get in my car and drive 20 mins to Warhammer world

tacoo
09-04-2009, 23:25
the geekadrome. in every game i have played or seen played op there, not one time have i seen anyone pull at a cheese list like bikernobz

a squig
09-04-2009, 23:32
Currently Salisbury - a place my life seems to bring me back to no matter how hard I try to escape.

And a very long time ago I was at Cribbs.

ah ha iam not the only sailsburyite on warseer :D

theenigma
10-04-2009, 08:04
Hey this is a pretty good thread!

I live in the South East of England and my local is Tunbridge Wells, I haven't seen that many other members from the Wells, hello if you are out there!

A few months back they moved from where they had originally started up to a slightly larger place, it a little closer to me so I can get there in about 30mins instead of the 35 it used to take to get to the old site.

From the way some members on here mention how long it takes to get to a local GW, it’s almost like these places have been identified as nuclear bunkers and will be gathering points if the worst happens!
At least there’ll be something to focus on whilst the fallout settles! :D

I must admit I don’t frequent my local that much any more as I buy most of my minis online and only really pop in to say “Hi” occasionally.

I also visit Bluewater when I am out that way with friends / family, I enjoy having a chat up there and don’t think I’ll ever get tired of seeing “Fred” (I think that’s his name… or that could be the guy guarding HQ in Notts…) guarding the front door!
It is quite small there though, I haven't been in there when it’s busy but I can imagine it gets packed out on the weekends.:eek:

Cheers,

Harv :)

brightblade
10-04-2009, 21:59
Brumyville (Birmingham), UK. Though I think it's a rubbish store and I avoid it unless I absolutely need something on short notice. Staff not especially polite beyond the usual salesmanship and it's the size of a shoebox (a shoebox full of tables at that).

I much prefer Burton on Trent

Not tried the Sutton Coldfield branch? It is a bunker with a nice laid back feel. Good staff that play for fun and have a laugh. (Apart from one:rolleyes:)

Agree on Brum store though, too small and really in the wrong place. The staff are nice there though.

Damien 1427
10-04-2009, 22:02
I live equally between Thurrock, Southend and Chelmsford. Both Chelmsford and Southend charge for parking, and neither are places you really want to be when the sun goes down (Chelmsford in particular), and one of the Southend staff got on my wick the last time I was in there (Which, to be fair, was a while ago), so I tend to wander towards Thurrock as Lakeside has free parking, plenty of coffee shops and the staff are pleasent enough people.

only joking...
10-04-2009, 22:57
Used to be GW Ealing now its Brent Cross- hey Rubicon :D

Silent_Spectre
11-04-2009, 17:50
Mine's GW Brent Cross, but haven't been in too often since Kev stopped managing it :(

Doesn't bother me though as I've can go to the games club in Luton (closer to me geographically) and I don't really play the games, more just sculpt the figures...

I have also been to GW Brussels and this morning (Manhattan local time at least!) tried to go to GW New York City... Only to find the place closed up 45 mins after it it was supposed to be open - not impressed as I went out of my way to find the place :(

Stuart

Yorkiebar
11-04-2009, 18:27
I've never been to a GW in Sheffield :p, but back before I moved my local used to be Warhammer World. It was nice being able to get any model or part needed straight away.

Ozorik
11-04-2009, 21:31
My closest is Darlington but its tiny so I've been there a grand total of 2 times. Middlesbrough is handy for me due to work but I dont go there that often.

I didn't even know there was a store in Durham or Sunderland, they arnt all that far away either.

Spot the squaddie (or padre in your case ;)).

Chaos and Evil
11-04-2009, 21:48
GW Wood Green, largest gaming space GW own in London.

cool0001
11-04-2009, 22:15
GW Carlisle an hour and a halfs drive North

zimmybob1
11-04-2009, 22:51
My local is GW Doncaster. Great staff, very helpful. Treat me and my children more like friends than customers!:)

only joking...
11-04-2009, 23:02

I had heard from numerous people that its a bit 'meh', whats it like?

Chaos and Evil
11-04-2009, 23:38
I had heard from numerous people that its a bit 'meh', whats it like?

They have a shop downstairs with three intro tables, a painting table and a 6x4 gaming table.

Upstairs, a gaming room (3 6x4's and 1 4x4), plus a couple more painting tables.

They're open until 10pm on gaming evenings (Currently Wednesday, soon to be Tuesdays apparently) and allow Specialist Games on those days which is a plus (Most GW stores won't).

So what was 'meh' about the store according to your mates?

RevEv
12-04-2009, 07:48
Spot the squaddie (or padre in your case ;)).

Darn - I've been outed!

Khabuldashudeth
12-04-2009, 08:08
Warrington (UK)
along with MAd larkin uk, when hes not at uni in arndale, Andy 10k, and Mike KK, when hes not @ uni

and me.

Though I haven't been in ages.

only joking...
12-04-2009, 10:13
They have a shop downstairs with three intro tables, a painting table and a 6x4 gaming table.

Upstairs, a gaming room (3 6x4's and 1 4x4), plus a couple more painting tables.

They're open until 10pm on gaming evenings (Currently Wednesday, soon to be Tuesdays apparently) and allow Specialist Games on those days which is a plus (Most GW stores won't).

So what was 'meh' about the store according to your mates?

Apparently the managers not that great and its a bit of a day care centre. I have not been there myself and i was interested to hear about from a regular, as i might check the place out.

Chaos and Evil
12-04-2009, 10:33
Apparently the managers not that great and its a bit of a day care centre. I have not been there myself and i was interested to hear about from a regular, as i might check the place out.

The manager is very noob-focused that's true, and you do get a regular 'Do you want to put a deposit on xxx?' badgering from the staff when you walk in, but you get that at all GW stores.

On the other hand the manager (A chap called Tom) and the staff tend to stay downstairs on a gaming evening so it's just the regulars upstairs.

This Wednesday is the last regular gaming evening I think, after which it's being separated into two days, Tuesdays for adults, and a different day for noobs.

Unfortunately I'm already busy on Tuesdays, so I'm about to become an ex-regular of GW Wood Green.

Jimbobjeff
12-04-2009, 12:45
Derby for me, never had a bad experience there so far

Templar Ben
12-04-2009, 13:14
Darn - I've been outed!

In all this time, I had no idea. :p

5Pointer
12-04-2009, 16:04
Birmingham for me... although I try to avoid shopping there nowadays and I never game there. (same goes for Mrs 5Pointer)

Merry Hill (Hell?) is probably the other one, but I hate the place (Merry Hell, not necessarily the GW there) so I don't go there either.

Chaos and Evil
17-04-2009, 14:43
This Wednesday is the last regular gaming evening I think, after which it's being separated into two days, Tuesdays for adults, and a different day for noobs.

Unfortunately I'm already busy on Tuesdays, so I'm about to become an ex-regular of GW Wood Green.

Scratch that, the gaming evening seems to be staying on Wednesdays.

Open 'till 10pm.

bob_the_small
17-04-2009, 15:29

Yah, but Tom is a ******

cortez555
17-04-2009, 15:55
GW Manchester, in there on Wednesday evenings for Fantasy Vet's night and most Saturdays too.

GW manchester also..doe u already know that:D

Darnok
17-04-2009, 15:57
My closest is Darlington but its tiny so I've been there a grand total of 2 times. Middlesbrough is handy for me due to work but I dont go there that often.

I didn't even know there was a store in Durham or Sunderland, they arnt all that far away either.

GW Darlington is indeed obscenely tiny. Never saw such a small store again. But the staffer there was great, we had a nice chat about how handy studies of arts can be for painting. :D

And GW Druham is a nice place to be - as is Durham. I have been there quite regularly during my year abroad at the local uni. Definetely worth a visit.

parus_ater
17-04-2009, 16:44
GW Edinburgh.

Top blokes, it has to be said. Not been for ages though, used to be in about once or twice a week but I then got a job in the opposide direction so no more passing visits.....:(

Ozorik
17-04-2009, 17:37
My first store was Edinburgh over a decade ago (I'm definately getting old). I spent nearly every day there for a while, their till saw a frankly unwise percentage of my student loan.

parus_ater
17-04-2009, 17:47
My first store was Edinburgh over a decade ago (I'm definately getting old). I spent nearly every day there for a while, their till saw a frankly unwise percentage of my student loan.

Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same!

It's a good shop, decent sized floor space, friendly (apparently) laid back staff. I loved that shop.... and now I'm a stranger to it.:cries:

Amr40
17-04-2009, 18:36
GW leamington [uk] some of the people who go there make me want to pull my arms off though :( .....

parus_ater
17-04-2009, 19:53
GW leamington [uk] some of the people who go there make me want to pull my arms off though :( .....

You should! Then we can have you cut on a sprue, molded and then you'll outnumber the little gits.:chrome:

Neat
17-04-2009, 21:24
GW Reading..

It's not a great store though.. a couple of the staffers are , are errm.. how can I say it, eccentric?
Though I did see a couple of months ago a rather attractive lady working there, which I must say shocked me a bit.

I don't go in there that much, as i tend to buy online at a discount, and haven't played a game in there since they moved from the Inside the Broad street Mall and the the awesome Manager (whos name I forget) left.

mcl
17-04-2009, 21:46
Metro Centre (Gateshead). There most Saturdays with one or both of my sons. Will be there tomorrow morning in fact.

Very occasionally drop by the Newcastle shop.

GideonRavenor
17-04-2009, 21:53
Reading; lovely town, somebody was killed just a bit down the road from the shop the other day.

Great shop though.

Karnage
17-04-2009, 21:56
GW Swansea here, normally down there most Vets nights....they run Specialist Games on the first Tuesday of the month and myself and one of the other Vets help run an Apoc game on the last week of the month. Always good fun, nice friendly group of staff and I'd like to think we Vets aren't so bad either :D

taffeh
17-04-2009, 22:10
Although I live in Reading, I am from Swansea and count that as my 'local' store... gaming night there is awesome! Staff are awesome

Found the Reading late night openning 'gaming' evening a bit hard to crack into due to not knowing anyone else in the area that plays (Same goes for Spiky Club). Staff are helpful n friendly though!

chromedog
17-04-2009, 22:56
A wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Oh, you meant where?

A 5 minute train ride away. Newcastle. A shop so small you can't swing a cat without giving it concussion and braining about a dozen munchkins.

Khornies & milk
18-04-2009, 08:52
Mine's the Battle Bunker at Mt.Gravatt....great bunch of Guys really...no real hardsell going on, just the 'hello' as soon as you open the front door just a crack.

Lewis
18-04-2009, 09:18
I guess I'm Games Worskhop Oxford Street, in many respects one of the worst place to be because it doesn't open at night.

I've recently started work in Romford so might shift allegience.

As a side note if anyone knows of a gaming club in east london (sort of Canary Wharf ) area) I'd be very grateful.

Docnoxin
19-04-2009, 16:43
I live in Kansas so the local GW store is in another state. I have an awesome local gaming store that I frequent a few times a week though so I could care less about having an official store.

Chaos and Evil
19-04-2009, 17:25

Yah, but Tom is a ******

Well if you have anything against Tom (I can't think why you would...), he's been promoted and is moving to Brent Cross in a week or two...

warhammergrimace
19-04-2009, 17:38
I have to agree with Karnage and taffeh that Swansea is an awesome store. I was there for a year, and the staff are great. A good bunch of guys game there, was made to feel welcome, my brother in law still games down there, when he can make it. Bumped in to a couple of the guys at Forgeworld open day, where staffer Doug showed of his newly painted stuff.

I have also been a reg in Derby before moving, and still occasionally pop down when I'm visiting old friends.

MasterPuppets
20-04-2009, 06:15
GW Durham is my local. Though since it appears there is one in sunderland (thanks for that, i didnt know it had re-opened) i may start making the occasional appearance there since its about the same distance from home
Aye GW Durham is my local as well. Even though GW Newcastle and GW Metro are closer to Sunderland before it re-opened there was not a hope in hell I'd give the Geordies me money!

spikyjames
20-04-2009, 22:05
Reading for me, although i don't really go into the shop all that often

All you lot from reading, get down to Spikyclub!!

James

jason_sation
20-04-2009, 23:03
Don't have a GW local, but my FLGS is a place called dreamwizards. Any marylanders in the house?

Yep. I'm near Baltimore, so I have a choice of GWs to hit up!

jstalker
20-04-2009, 23:22
When i'm at home it would be Reading, Spiky club, woo!
I used to frequent the Dice & Dagger(?) club in bude too!

Currently my local however is Plymouth,
Love it here, even tho I was a new customer the staff there been great, really talkative, not been typical buy buy buy sorta staff people always complain about.

Reading was good too, not sure who works there anymore tho

parus_ater
21-04-2009, 08:29
When i'm at home it would be Reading, Spiky club, woo!
I used to frequent the Dice & Dagger(?) club in bude too!

Currently my local however is Plymouth,
Love it here, even tho I was a new customer the staff there been great, really talkative, not been typical buy buy buy sorta staff people always complain about.

Reading was good too, not sure who works there anymore tho

Ah, Bude! Bit of a Mecca for me, that place. 2nd Rangers were billited there prior to D-day....

only joking...
21-04-2009, 09:06
Well if you have anything against Tom (I can't think why you would...), he's been promoted and is moving to Brent Cross in a week or two...

Seriously? :eek:

Levett
21-04-2009, 11:44
GW Reading..
Though I did see a couple of months ago a rather attractive lady working there, which I must say shocked me a bit.

Did you try it on?? :P

Teraim
21-04-2009, 12:01
Did you try it on?? :P

She is beautiful - I tried it on ... got a slap!

Spider-pope
21-04-2009, 12:02
GW Grimsby, UK, is my local. And judging by this thread, im the only one who goes there :D