PDA

View Full Version : chaos challenges

Khorneflakes
18-01-2009, 01:20
if i have a chaos character that has to challenge and he issuses one, say against an enemy character and he refuses, and there is a unit champ does he have to accept? can the unit champ refuse as well? if so the eotg chart is impossible to use.

nosferatu1001
18-01-2009, 01:57
You cannot force challenges; the only model that can is Wulfrik.

HOwever, if the enemy lord / character is the only model able to fight, or there is no rear rank to retire them to, then it must fight in the challenge. E.G. you can challenge a lord on dragon and it has to accept.

In a rank unit - if the unit champ / lord doesnt accept, then those models cannot fight. SO no champ always hitting you back, no lord swinging in with his mighty axe of doom. I think you'll find in these occasions that someone will accept :)

Nurgling Chieftain
18-01-2009, 02:43
Yikes, Khorneflakes, I think you might want to review the rules for challenges altogether. For example, when you issue a challenge, it's BY a specific model, but it isn't AGAINST any specific model; your opponent can answer with any eligible model. Second, if your opponent refuses the challenge, what happens is YOU get to nominate one of his models (which could have answered the challenge) to retire to the back of his unit.

As nosferatu1001 mentions, if any eligible models cannot be retired to the back of a unit, the challenge cannot be refused.

chivalrous
18-01-2009, 03:13
In a rank unit - if the unit champ / lord doesnt accept, then those models cannot fight. SO no champ always hitting you back, no lord swinging in with his mighty axe of doom. I think you'll find in these occasions that someone will accept :)

Almost. If there is more than one character eligable to accept your challenge and your opponent refuses to accept your challenge, then you as the challenger chooses one of those eligible characters to retire to the back of the unit. After that your challenging character and any remaining characters on his fighting rank (plus the rank and file) fight on as normal.

EldarBishop
18-01-2009, 06:09
A Bretonnian character with the Guantlet of the Duel can also force a challenge... :D

But, yes... carefully re-read the challenges sections in the BRB. Here's a summary:
- YOUR character issues a challenge
- ENEMY player choose whether to accept or not and with which character
= if declined YOU choose enemy character to send to the back (ie. remove from combat)
= if accepted ENEMY player chooses which of his characters will fight

TheDarkDaff
18-01-2009, 06:47
A small point to add. A character must be in base contact with an enemy to issue or accept challenges

airhunter_m
18-01-2009, 06:57
only to issue a challenge you have to be in a fighting position
not to accept

xragg
18-01-2009, 06:59
A small point to add. A character must be in base contact with an enemy to issue or accept challenges

Only to issue them, not accept. A character not in base contact can accept challenges.

Nurgling Chieftain
18-01-2009, 07:07
only to issue a challenge you have to be in a fighting position
not to accept
Only to issue them, not accept. A character not in base contact can accept challenges.You're both wrong and the person you're challenging was right. See page 77, left column, third paragraph. Characters not in base contact with an enemy cannot participate in a challenge, neither by issuing it nor by meeting it. ...And frankly, xragg, I'm a little surprised?

xragg
18-01-2009, 07:22
Man, I am really tired and misunderstood what was being referenced. I was thinking he said that the characters had to be in base contact with the character issueing. I call a mulligan on this one, lol. Reading "the" where "an" is can make a huge difference on the meaning.