PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 2250 Lists for Tournament Up for Vote

NecronBob
18-01-2009, 02:01
I'm going to a series of tournaments in the next few months, and I'm tinkering with lists. I only get to playtest with a limited number of armies (empire, VC, and Brets), so I get blindsided by other armies sometimes. I got some great feedback last time I posted a list, so I thought I'd try it again differently. My question is this, look at these three star dragon lists and give me your opinion of which one would do best against your primary army. If you want to post in the thread to explain which army you play and why you feel the way you do, so much the better.

List 1 -- More or Less Standard Star Dragon List

Lord (Armor of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Sword of Might)
BSB on Barded Steed w/ Battle Banner
Mage (Level 1 w/ two dispel scrolls)
2 x 10 Lothern Sea Guard
9 Dragon Princes w/ command and Lion Standard, Champ w/ Amulet of Light
2 x Lion Chariot
5 Silver Helms
2 x RBT
2 X Great Eagle

List 2 -- Star Dragon and a Stubborn Block

2 x 10 Lothern Sea Guard
9 Dragon Princes w/ command and Standard of Balance, Champ w/ Amulet of Light
Lion Chariot
12 White Lions (6 x 2) w/ Lion Standard
2 x RBT
2 X Great Eagle

List 3 -- Star Dragon with Some CR

25 Spearelves w/ command and War Banner
10 Archers
Lion Chariot
9 Dragon Princes w/ command and Lion Standard, Champ w/ Amulet of Light
5 Reavers w/ Bow and Spears
2 x RBT
2 X Great Eagle

WhiteKnight
18-01-2009, 06:07
I would go for the stubborn list. White lions plus DP plus Chariot = pain.

NecronBob
18-01-2009, 16:39
No love for big blocks of spearelves? I've been pretty successful with spears once they get over 20, and thought that their CR would fill in a weakness of the list.

Aeolthir
21-01-2009, 15:32
Blocks of spearelves generally rocks if you use them correctly (i.e. not againts 5 blood knights of chaos knights).
IMO you also have some good unit to strike hard in your opponent faces or flanks: lion chariot, star dragon, DP.

I like the general idea to maximise the speed of the elves in your advantage. Movement phase is IMO the most important phase in WFB.

garythewargamer
05-02-2009, 16:14
two wareagles, 2 rbts and 2 lion chariots that is just great. Now of course comes the down side. Where I play armies tend to be a little magic heavy. With the new lizardmen army book out there people are probably taking them for tournments. Suggest you try it out against some people you have never played against to test it out. Now I guess I better go to the thread and post my HE list.
gary257games@yahoo.com

That Guy
05-02-2009, 23:44
The trick is to make a portion of your opponent's army worthless. By this I mean, you need to be able to say, "Oh! You brought Longbowmen! Good thing my entire army has a 3+ or better save!"

List three fails this test in spades. Like everyone and his brother, I've been playing with Lizardmen lately. My list is not designed for ultra-competitive tournaments, so I have a few units of skink skirmishes and some Razordon/Salamander support. Now, let's say I'm facing you (since that is what you ask). Against list one (and kind of list two) my Sallies have nothing to do. There are no juicy targets. In list three, I just go for the Spearmen. Same thing with the Skinks. 25 Spearmen with full command present an easy way for your opponent's weaker units to contribute to the battle. You need to be able to marginalize them. List three is out (from a purely ultra-competitive viewpoint).

I don't like chariots. For one thing, chariots were useless after the invention of the stirrup, so there shouldn't be ANY chariots in Warhammer. But I guess by that logic there shouldn't be frogs throwing fireballs either...so to each his own. The gameplay issue with them though is that I haven't found them to be very effective at bringing the fight to the enemy. You WILL be exposed for at least one turn of cannon fire. You cannot march, and your opponent's heavy hitters can. When I have used chariots, I use them for area denial: I hide it behind terrain and DARE my opponent to enter its charge arc. This completely falls apart against armies with units that move easily through cover. Anyways, I just don't like them.

I think that the White Lions in your second list are too soft and don't provide a good deal of synergy with the rest of the force.

I would hate to face the first list most with any army I was playing. I would add one thing though: A unit of DP's with the Banner of Ellyrion. The ability to move 16" through any terrain will drive your opponent's nuts. Also, the more cavalry you have flying at your opponent the better.

And that's the last bit of tactical advice that I have for you: Either present your opponent with every target (DP's, chariots, and Dragon), or none. If you try to hide most, that just guarantees the death of those that remain exposed. Target overload can be surprisingly effective as people try to do too much at once. Just one last thought. Happy hunting.

Veloxnex
06-02-2009, 00:59
List 2 is my favourite, although i'd perfer PG for their super staying power.

and if your looking for points a halberd on the dragon lord is a bit cheaper, and wont effect his save. the bonus of being a magical strike isnt a huge deal most of the time.

Aeolthir
06-02-2009, 14:34
Only the stupid cannot change is opinion they say!

So I changed mine when I read the post of Mr. That Guy.
Very solid strategic point for any army when you say: The trick is to make a portion of your opponent's army worthless!

I do not totally agree on the chariot point of view, I kinda like them very much but the rest is really good advice.
Force your opponent to take tough choices and generally to he will try do to everything and finally will do nothing!

Thank you again... you need more guys like you to give us quality advice.