PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Huonds as bait

Sir_Lunchalot
18-01-2009, 03:30
On Thursday I managed to finally win a game, because of my chaos hounds - two hounds charged a block of dark elf spearmen acting as a bodyguard for his mages. Teh hounds were slaughtered, and due to hatred he was forced to overrun - far enough that he hit my warriors of khorne, who in his turn slaughtered his general, his lvl 2 mage, and ran down that unit.

I know that situationw as very good luck, btu I think the principle could work against many armies - run up a mob of hounds, say 4-8 units of 5 hounds, charge his units as fast as possible. now, most of those units will get mercilessly slaughtered, which is fine, they're hounds, and not worth much. After getting mauled, some of these units might fail their charge to avoid overrunning the units, or if I'm lucky and fighting something else with frenzy or hatred they'll automatically overrun. IF his entire army has hatred/frenzy, then I just get into combat sooner, but if only some of his units fail their Ld tests to restrain his battle lien is broken, and hopefully I'll be able to simply murder the units that got pulled out.

What do you warseers think? Is it a viable tactic, also, Hwo many units of hounds should I take? I'm thinking 4-8 units, as I can easily use 2 to screen my frenzied knights, and then a bunch more for the bait tactic.

sulla
18-01-2009, 03:46
You only overrun if you charged, not if you were charged. If you charged and were wiped out, he didn't have to overrun. Better to use 6-10 hounds per unit so they won't be wiped out. Then he has to pursue.

GodlessM
18-01-2009, 04:03
Even better it just to use them as screens in deployment and then run them up, if the opponent charges flee then counter charge next turn with your Knights. If he doesn't charge then take pick of the mill of his light support units in your turn and charge away.

Freenut
18-01-2009, 04:04
Want models left so he is forced to prusue. Otherwise you are just handing him victory points. Having said that dogs are not that hard kill for the average DE unit because of hatred. Would say you are better off keeping them small and use them to block lines of sight and as miss-directs. Are also useful to take out war machines or as suicide units to take out mages in blocked infantry.

Frankly
18-01-2009, 14:42
Chaos hounds are the best deliver system in the WoC book, brilliant at on the small tasks it takes to get your move costly units into combat.

There a two really, really good tournament Chaos players in my area, both of them rely on a good amount of hounds to win their games and in both of their cases tournaments(last book results).

sulla
18-01-2009, 14:48
Even better it just to use them as screens in deployment and then run them up, if the opponent charges flee then counter charge next turn with your Knights. If he doesn't charge then take pick of the mill of his light support units in your turn and charge away.

Doesn't always work. If the chaos guys just moves his dogs up like that, I move the good stuff forward so that any chaos heavy hitters can only get one or 2 guys in btb contact with me, should they charge. 'Course, they could dual charge with the dogs to get more heavy hitters in the combat but the dogs probably give me the win then.

But dogs + Magicline + hellcannon + pretty much 'the win' though. Hold them back till I almost get there then redirect and hit me in the flanks with chariots or knights. Of course, you have to kill the DE shooters first sut that shouldn't be too big a problem.