PDA

View Full Version : Daemonzilla?

Finnigan2004
18-01-2009, 13:57
Hey guys, I'm just looking at rebasing some daemons for 40k. I was wondering how you think a daemonzilla list would work with a couple of greater daemons (a Bloodthirster and a lord of Change). and two or three daemon princes. They'd be supported by a horde of fast fighting daemons-- probably mostly bloodletters, flesh hounds, crushers, and horrors. I've heard that the main problem is that the army comes in in two waves, so do you think this could work? Would it get absolutely trashed?

I don't play 40k at all, so any thoughts would be helpful.

enmitee
18-01-2009, 14:12
well daemonzilla works great if build right, i dont work with 2 GDs i work with 4 heralds on a chariot. more like a mini GD and 3 daemons princes. this is great for target saturation. and i tend to not use Bloodletters cuz they are to fragile and fast attacks are a bit to be desired since i always spend on elite first, try blood crushers or fiends. both 2 wounds each. but the blood crusher is slower but way tougher than fiends. hope that helps.

==Me==
18-01-2009, 14:23
Daemonzilla is definitely a viable build. enmitee makes a great point regarding Heralds on chariots, they're essentially mini-GDs for a fraction of the cost.

One of the best ways I've seen such an army run is 2 nasty GDs (Bloodthirsters or Keepers typically, the LoC is too expensive and GUOs work best in an Epi list) and 3 Grinders or DPs (Grinders are cheap, DPs are typically more specialized). For Troops, it's Plaguebearers all the way with Fiends and Bloodcrushers for support. Fiends are extremely fast with cavalry movement and Hit & Run, plus they hit hard too. Bloodcrushers are harder to kill, but they are slow. DPs typically suffer from a lack of speed since wings are so stupidly expensive, so I pick Fiends to help with that.

Finnigan2004
18-01-2009, 14:27
Thanks guys, I'm a little limited in terms of troop choices (basically letters and horrors for now) because I'm trying to do the list for freeish to start (to see how much I like 40k). I can field any troops from those two powers though, and I also have some furies. I might have to buy a soul grinder though-- that model is incredible.

Reaver83
18-01-2009, 16:45
Firstly you've got my favourite troop choices!

The other thing to remember is go for elites. Always good, bar BoN

I'm trying a true Daemonzilla for the first time this week, 2 GD's (BT and KoS) and eith three DP's or 1 DP and 2 SG's I'm more tempted for the 3 DP's as I think it could be fun to put the five beast in wave 1, and watch the opponents face as they all appear together!

blkdymnd
18-01-2009, 17:13
whats with the hatred for BoN's? Not to derail the topic, but I always see them trash talked. They're basically two plaguebearers with more attacks for about the same price. What am I missing?

Chrismage
18-01-2009, 17:20
whats with the hatred for BoN's? Not to derail the topic, but I always see them trash talked. They're basically two plaguebearers with more attacks for about the same price. What am I missing?

Plaguebearers have trouble killing things in combat, thanks to their single attack and lack of Power Weapons. What they're usually good for is holding up an Icon and camping objectives. Beasts can't do either.

Beasts fare better in Epidemius lists where their d6 attacks shine.

blkdymnd
18-01-2009, 17:24
cool, thanks. makes more sense

Grimtuff
18-01-2009, 17:31
Plaguebearers have trouble killing things in combat, thanks to their single attack and lack of Power Weapons. What they're usually good for is holding up an Icon and camping objectives.

I dunno, i'm running a Daemonzilla list at a tourney this Saturday. Backed up with Skarbrand, Plaguebearers are pretty tasty what with re-rolling misses and failed wounds against anything T4 or less.

Here's the list:

Skarbrand the Exiled One
Ku'Gath the Plaguefather

3 Charnel Knights (counts as Fiends)
3 Bloodcrushers

10 Plaguebearers- Icon x2
3 Nurgling Swarms

Daemon Prince- Daemonic Gaze x3

1499pts

==Me==
18-01-2009, 17:41
Beasts suck because Plaguebearers suck. They are completely inept in combat and their only real purpose is holding objectives and icons. Since Beasts can do neither, they get passed over for Fiends, Bloodcrushers, and Flamers.

Now, in an Epidemius list, Beasts are great. Once the tally is up they outperform Plaguebearers like it's nobody's business and are a fearsome unit all their own.

A Tzeentch/Khorne Daemonzilla would be solid. I'd probably run a pair of Thirsters (might and blessing) and a trio of Tzeentch DPs (bolt and gaze) or Grinders (phlegm or nothing) or a mix. You've got your combat monsters backed by tank hunters and solid combat machines in their own right. Bloodletters draw a lot of fire and aren't particularly resilient, but whatever they touch in combat will die. Horrors provide some much needed firepower and a little anti-tank from bolt.

Furies aren't all that hot, but they have the speed to support 2 Thirsters so feel free to use 10 or 20 of the buggers. Screamers aren't needed in such a list with all your mobile MCs, Flesh Hounds however are rock solid performers. Flamers and Bloodcrushers are also great for fire support and adding more rock solid troops respectively.

Jimbobjeff
18-01-2009, 21:18
I run a semi zilla pure nurgle list, daemon princes are just viscious, if you use epidemius, a herald, a guo and 3 princes you can easily get the tally up to 20 on turn 1 just with breath of chaos, from then on the game is pretty much over.

Doomseer
19-01-2009, 17:55
Daemonzilla is definitely viable, I've just assembled 2 Nurgle Princes to accompany a Tzeentch Prince and 2 Keepers. The rest of the list is subject to change but most likely Flamers, Horrors, Bloodletters and Bloodcrushers.

I can't wait to try it out, the 2 Keepers and the Tzeentch Prince have been incredible for me so far.