PDA

View Full Version : Attack bikes for cheap

Ajamax5
18-01-2009, 16:53
I've always enjoyed bike heavy marine armies. Mainly because i never wanted to pay about a US dollar a point for a rhino, and then grew to love the bikes. I wanted to run a list with at least nine attack bikes. I was hoping someone has come up with cheap ways to aquire or convert attack bikes. Is it viable to make an attack bike out of two standard bikes? Thanks in advance.

leonmallett
18-01-2009, 18:06
I've always enjoyed bike heavy marine armies. Mainly because i never wanted to pay about a US dollar a point for a rhino, and then grew to love the bikes. I wanted to run a list with at least nine attack bikes. I was hoping someone has come up with cheap ways to aquire or convert attack bikes. Is it viable to make an attack bike out of two standard bikes? Thanks in advance.

An attack bike is very close to the cost of 2 regular bikes, so why not just buy them?

solvay
18-01-2009, 18:10
try 40kempire.. there an online store which offer them for about 8 ish

Clang
18-01-2009, 18:38
if you look at the attack bike kit, the side car attachment is actually pretty simple, just a wheel, a seat/frame, a rider and his weapon. So with some spare wheels and spare heavy weapon marines (ideally with some 'sitting' legs from somewhere, it wouldn't be a difficult conversion. The hardest part would be making them look exactly the same, as marines like their nice sensible standardised equipment. Unless your army fluff involves a chapter cut off from normal supply routes and now desperately repairing and building equipment from whatever they can find locally? Then you could go crazy inventing cool unique attack bike equivalents, basically anything you can think of that's about the right dimensions and has two guys on it, e.g. dune buggies, motortricycles etc

Ajamax5
18-01-2009, 19:37
For leonmallet, I was actually thinking of making two attack bikes from a ravenwing bike box which is only ten US dollars more than the attack bike. Once I can figure out a way to make a seat, I'd have six wheels for two trikes.

leonmallett
19-01-2009, 20:01
For leonmallet, I was actually thinking of making two attack bikes from a ravenwing bike box which is only ten US dollars more than the attack bike. Once I can figure out a way to make a seat, I'd have six wheels for two trikes.

Which could be fine, I was just making the observation that as a cost-saving measure there doesn't seem great benefit for the differential. For example where will you source your heavy weapons?

Now if it is primarily as a conversion project rather than cost saving that is another matter, of course..

imweasel
19-01-2009, 21:14
try 40kempire.. there an online store which offer them for about 8 ish

Do they ship to the US and take paypal?

If so, I will have to check em out when I get the chance...

solvay
19-01-2009, 21:48
they have no changed to http://www.wargamesempire.com/
paypal is accepted, and yes it would also see mthat they do ship to the US, shipping fees can be found here
http://www.wargamesempire.com/shop/page/shipping?shop_param=

beeny13
20-01-2009, 02:34
i made mine out of a magnetized cavalry base, magnetized bike, two air cooled machine guns from tamiya modern weapons kit. heroclix base, extra marine, and wheels off of a matchbox car.

It really doesn't look too bad, could be better but is very easy to tell what it is. cut the heroclix base(or plasticard) to form the sidecar bottom, glue it to the cavalry base, line it up with bike. put magnets on the base and bike tires so that the bike can be used without sidecar. use 2 air cooled machine guns, cut off their barrels, glue them on top of each other top to top. glue cut off fuel tanks from the weapons set on the side, and you have a multimelta. use the sprue for a weapon mount, and position your marine around it. glue on the wheel to the side, and buy some extra bike bodies, to use the fenders for your sidecar.

from three feet it looks pretty good as it has a marine, wheel in matching fender, and gun resembling multimelta. I still haven't painted mine, I think that will help sell the "multimelta"

I forgot to mention that you really have to chop up the marine legs to get him to sit.
you can get a marine for around $1 apiece off of ebay in larger lots
extra bike bodies $1 apiece(does 2)
tamiya weapon kit $7(does 2 each)
plasticard $3
matchbox $1.5 apiece(look for off road types)

for around 17 you can easily make at least 2, and for 10 more make 2 more.
infact all nine easily fielded can be done for about $60 or so. plus donor bikes which usually run about $5 apiece on ebay.

so it shouldn't be hard to make 9 for 100.