PDA

View Full Version : Killing / avoiding Fanatics

Yerun
18-01-2009, 18:55
Hi,

I'm playing VC and faced an army of greenskins two times.
The first time the fanatics (6 of them) destroyed almost my hole army.

The second fight I had him on his knees but still these fanatics hurt like hell.
The Lore of Death wasn't as useful as Necromancy lore.

I want to use a lone Vampire (heroe). Has anyone an idea how I can risk my characters out in the open?

How can I get these fanatics out of there units without losing precious units?
I can use dire wolves or zombie summoning...
Konrad got slayed by one lame fanatic so I need one with good armour but still enough power to destroy a boar chariot.
hope I made myself clear.

Other stuff I use are a varghulf, 5 black knights, 15 Grave guard, Loads of skelletons, 18 ghouls (for giant) 10 wolves some zombies and 2 vampires and 1 or 2 necros.

Harwammer
18-01-2009, 18:59
If you move a unit ontop of the fanatic it dies and the unit takes 2d6 str 5 AP hits.

As an undead player you can just move your cheap blocks on top of them and resummon the losses.

An alternative is to move some wolves on top of the fanatics. You can use the wolves free reform (from being fast cav) to put them in a formation where they cover multiple fanatics.

If your opponent didn't tell you fanatics are destroyed if a unit is moved on top of them then he is a very bad sport.

Fanatics are also killed whenever they hit any kind of terrain feature.

I have more ideas but I'll leave you to figure them out yourself. Tactics are more fun if you invent them yourself :D

TiechoNortheal
18-01-2009, 19:11
Just cast Wind of Undeath and create the Spirit Host unit in range to pull the fanatics out. It's Ethereal, and last I checked Fanatic hits weren't magical, so they'll be quite harmless to the base.

Wraiths work just as well. Have Ethereal units end their move ontop of them. Woooo, 2d6 Str 5 hits. They aren't magical and thus neither the Wraiths or Spirit Hosts care much. The Fanatic still dies.

Of all the armies out there, VC have the absolute least to fear from fanatics. We can put back together whatever they smash, we can create trash units to bait them out, and we have units that are just straight up immune to them.

Yerun
18-01-2009, 19:14
yeah he told me how I can kill them but we use few terrain and I can't use 6 units of dire wolves just for those fanatics :D

But the ethereal stuff looks AWESOME :D
thanks!

mistermaster
18-01-2009, 19:15
Ethereal miniatures. Fast moving, inmune to their attacks and cause fear or terror. A pain for the night goblins.

Or simply summon a unit of zombies behind night goblins ASAP. If he releases them against your army it could be too early. If he launch the ot the rear to kill the zombies they wonīt harm you for the rest of the battle.

You can do the same with bat swarms. They arenīt fast moving but they can take a lot of damage with their 4W each and can be healed as infantry so 1d6W per cast. The same as the vampire bats. They are very fast and can be healed as infantry.

Or go with 5 dire wolves on turn 1. Only 40 pts to make 75 pts of fanatics appear.

VC have al ot of resources to deal with fanatics.

Yerun
18-01-2009, 19:19
as I haven't got the ethereals yet I am going to try to summon the zombies behind his lines with a vampire with scout en sceptre de noirot :D

I'll hold the wolves for flank charges and second option if the zombie trick fails.

Harwammer
18-01-2009, 20:38
You can pull em out with wolves/raise, the next turn kill them with wind. If that doesn't work you can put your summoned hosts on the surviving offenders?

Guy Fawkes
18-01-2009, 20:46
No. Fanatics have magical attacks (for some reason the weird mushroom brew gives them magical attacks), so ethereals are very expensive for getting rid of them.

Edit: Sorry, was wrong about the above information. Please disregard it. Ethereals are a perfectly valid and efficient choice for dealing with fanatics, assuming you have them and no more important uses for them. Thanks to all those who corrected me.

Just use Bats, Wolves, or summoned Zombies to pull them out in the middle of their army. They randomly move, so chances are they won't hurtle 12" towards anything important once they leave the unit. If you need to kill them, put a unit of Zombies on top of them and they'll die and take a few Zombies with them.

I feel the best strategy is to panic the Night Goblin units. Putting a terror-causing flying Vampire through the army will force the enemy to release Fanatics amidst their own ranks and cause some Terror tests/panic tests if things work out. Break a nearby Orc unit in combat and the Gobbos will start running.

EldarBishop
18-01-2009, 20:50
Never really had an issue with Fanatics with any of my armies. Fast Cav, scouts, etc in small qty are great for this.

Dire Wolves or raising some zombies would prob work best.

Harwammer
18-01-2009, 20:50
No. Fanatics have magical attacks (for some reason the weird mushroom brew gives them magical attacks), so ethereals are very expensive for getting rid of them.

:eek: are you sure? can I get a quote to back that up?

Brimweave
18-01-2009, 21:06
No. Fanatics have magical attacks (for some reason the weird mushroom brew gives them magical attacks)

I don't think they do at all...

The attacks are only armour piercing and distrubuted like shooting. No mension of magic.

TiechoNortheal
18-01-2009, 21:16
No. Fanatics have magical attacks (for some reason the weird mushroom brew gives them magical attacks), so ethereals are very expensive for getting rid of them. Just use Bats, Wolves, or summoned Zombies to pull them out in the middle of their army. They randomly move, so chances are they won't hurtle 12" towards anything important once they leave the unit. If you need to kill them, put a unit of Zombies on top of them and they'll die and take a few Zombies with them.

I feel the best strategy is to panic the Night Goblin units. Putting a terror-causing flying Vampire through the army will force the enemy to release Fanatics amidst their own ranks and cause some Terror tests/panic tests if things work out. Break a nearby Orc unit in combat and the Gobbos will start running.

Got a page number to point to that says Fanatic hits count as Magical?

wingedserpant
18-01-2009, 21:35
Fanatics do not have magic attacks. Simple as. Ethereal units are the best option as you don't have to lose anything but just try to get them out before they get too close to your units.

w3rm
18-01-2009, 23:59
Fanatics are unkillable. Says so in the fine print :).

kenshin
19-01-2009, 03:09
Fanatics are unkillable. Says so in the fine print :).

unless they happen to kill each other :D

Guy Fawkes
19-01-2009, 03:10
Sorry, looked it up myself and you all are right. Fanatics don't have magical attacks. I apologize for giving the wrong information. In this case, ethereals are a no-lose option.

I don't know why I thought that. Thanks for clarifying it guys.

Braad
19-01-2009, 08:46
Fanatics do not have any rule that says they have magical attacks.

About the killing of fanatics: if you move a unit on top of a fanatic, it sustains D6 hits. Only if the unit does not flee (not likely for undead...) and is not wiped out (which is likely, when you try to tackle several with only 5 wolves), then it sustains another D6 hits and the fanatic is destroyed. But if all doom wolves die in the first round, the death blow is never dealt to the fanatic. Only when there are models left to kill the fanatic, then the second D6 of damage is dealt.

I say: just die, fool, you're dead already anyway. Don't mess with Da Boyz! :p

No, but seriously. I can see ethereals work nicely against these. Lure them out, then start killing them. As they can't receive any damage from the fanatics, they automatically cause them to do their D6 deathblow, which also don't damage, and the fanatic is destroyed. Fanatics have no rules (I know, have the book right in front of me now) to protect them against units they cannot harm, like ethereals.

Other ways could be a few cheap and fast units (like those wolves), and sent them far ahead of your army. Use them to release as many fanatics as possible, and withdraw them. Then let the fanatics wreak havoc upon his own line.

Condottiere
19-01-2009, 09:11
The difficulty is always finding a cheap enough unit to sacrifice. One possibility that occurs to me is if the NG unit is near a hill or forest, move a unit into that terrain, and the fanatics have to come out.

Cambion Daystar
19-01-2009, 09:55
I use my knights for it nowadays. Still have a 4+ save against fanatics. They fare better then my pistoliers.

DeathlessDraich
19-01-2009, 11:54
Hi,

I'm playing VC and faced an army of greenskins two times.
The first time the fanatics (6 of them) destroyed almost my hole army.

How can I get these fanatics out of there units without losing precious units?
I can use dire wolves or zombie summoning...

No dont use dire wolves.

1) You could use Ethereals but that limits their purpose in the early rounds and Ethereals are better off rounding up small support units and warmachines

2) Use 1 unit of 20 Zombies and IoN combination:
Spread the Zombie unit 20 wide in 1 rank, in the most open region on the table (Fanatics are destroyed by terrain so don't worry about areas with concentrated terrain) and march it (should be close enough to a Vampire to do that) towards units of Night Goblins - assuming there will be 2 or 3.
You should be able to trigger all 6 Fanatics in turn 1 (if you go 2nd).
Concentrate all IoN spells to replenish numbers in that unit.
Destroy the revealed Fanatics with magic or charge with Zombies if they have sufficient numbers. You might need a 2nd unit to finish the job.

Your fast moving units, knights etc should easily be able to manoeuvre past the Fanatics while your slower units could be deployed/moved to areas with dense terrain.

Good luck!

Cambion Daystar
19-01-2009, 13:10
Do you have to stop when u trigger them?

Braad
19-01-2009, 13:36
When they are triggered, normal movement stops. Now, all the movement of triggered fanatics is completed. Then normal movement continues. Do note that you still must complete charges and other compulsary movement now.

PeG
19-01-2009, 14:23
pull them out with flyers and let them kill the greenskin army.

Yerun
19-01-2009, 15:07
so I'll recapitulate :D

I think most interesting stuff for fanatics are ethereal creatures,
trying to trigger them behind their own lines
flyers
and maybe the 20 or wider unit of zombie line

thx guys, orc blood will be on your hands as well ;)

Shmee
27-01-2009, 18:29
Someone mentioned moving a cheap unit over the fanatic to get rid of it, but doesn't the "one inch" apart rule stops you from doing that, since you cant move within one inch of an enemy unit without charging it.
So from what i understand, the 2d6 damage rule is only used on occasions when a charging unit cant stop and ends its charge over the fanatic.

Harwammer
27-01-2009, 21:06
Don't forget the O&G player can chose what inivial direction the fanatics can travel in when they are ejected from units.

Its completely viable he may just send the fanatics straight into some terrain (killing them) or off a table edge if there are no useful ways in which they could be used.

Zoolander
27-01-2009, 22:06
Etherals are the best thing to draw fanatics out. Barring those, the next thing to do is to cast Raise Dead to summon a small unit of zombies, say, between two goblin units with fanatics. That works wonders, too.