PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Slanneshi Cavalry Force

Noserenda
19-01-2009, 09:07
Having Chosen Chaos for our Campaign, heres the force I plan to build throughout it...

Daemon Prince 525pts
Lvl 4, Fury of the Blood God, Word of Agony, Mark of Slannesh

Chaos Sorceror 191pts (Goes in First Chaos Knight Unit)
Lvl 2, 2xDispel Scroll, Mark of Slannesh, Barded Steed

Exalted Champion 236pts (Goes in Second Chaos Knight Unit)
BSB, Doom Totem, Shield, Mark of Slannesh, Barded Steed

Exalted Champion 155pts
Enchanted Shield, Mark of Slannesh, Steed of Slannesh

5 Marauder Horse 81pts
Throwing Spears, Shields, Musician

5 Marauder Horse 81pts

5 Marauder Horse 81pts
Thowing Spears, Shields, Musician

5 Chaos Knights 260pts
Full Command, Mark of Slannesh

5 Chaos Knights 260pts
Full Command, Mark of Slannesh

Chaos Chariot 130pts
Mark of Slannesh

The Basic plan is for the Marauders to run interference and knock off ranks while the Chariots and knights hammer things to bits. The Daemon Prince and other Hero also cause trouble/Hero Hunt.

Malorian
19-01-2009, 15:03
That's a pretty small force. Hordes and shooty armies are going to give you the most trouble.

Noserenda
19-01-2009, 17:15
True, but I was hoping the Knights (backed with a side charge preferably) would smash and break big infantry blocks. And with lots of marauder horse I should hopefully be able to at least engage enemy missile troops fairly quickly.

I do like the idea of a big snake Daemon Prince, but would it be worth dropping him?

Also the Doom Totem. Worth the Points? Because I was considering dropping it down to a cheaper banner and maybe picking up a couple of the cheaper ones for my knights.

GodlessM
19-01-2009, 18:40
Your Knights won't be able to smash large infantry blocks alone, not Slaanesh Knights anyway.

I notice a lot of people on Warseer using Daemon Princes. I've got to ask; why, 'cause they really suck!

W0lf
19-01-2009, 19:03
Far too small for what it is.

Something like this;

Daemon Prince 520pts
Lvl 4, Fury of the Blood God, Diabolic splendour, Mark of Slannesh

Chaos Sorceror 191pts (Goes in First Chaos Knight Unit)
Lvl 2, 2xDispel Scroll, Mark of Slannesh, Barded Steed

Exalted Champion 155pts

5 Marauder Horse 81pts

5 Marauder Horse 81pts

5 Marauder Horse 81pts
Thowing Spears, Shields, Musician

6 chaos knights
Stand, mus, MoS
280 pts

6 chaos knights
Stand, mus, MoS
280 pts

6 chaos knights
Stand, mus, MoS
280 pts

That leaves you with 51 pts.

Id suggest something like; drop shields on M. horse.

Give marauder horse MoS and spears.

Give a unit of knights the raptorus standard.

Basically the new list is 'only' 866 pts of characters... which while staggering isnt the 1000+ it was. The knights aremore cost-effective and their is a third unit. Marauder horse are now better at combat, giving them a multi-role. Oh and daemonprince lost word of agony (not really worth it imo) to gain splendour - between terror and hellshriek i really think its a must have.

A definate improvement. at least imo.

Noserenda
19-01-2009, 22:55
Yeah true, I hadnt quite realised how many points id sunk into characters! :eek:

The first draft of the list did have three units of Knights, but was over by a wee bit :D

As for Smashing Infanty, OFC the knights wont do that by themselves, thats why I have Light Cav to remove rank bonus' or a Mean Character/Monster to back them up. I can also potentially frenzy them with Magic if needed.

The Daemon Prince doesent scream suck to me, it might be a bit pricier, but its way more all around effective. plus a big flying snake thingee will be cool :chrome:

Hmm try this:

Daemon Prince 520pts
Lvl 4, Fury of the Blood God, Diabolic splendour, Mark of Slannesh

Chaos Sorceror 166pts (Goes in First Chaos Knight Unit)
Lvl 2, 1xDispel Scroll, Mark of Slannesh, Barded Steed

Exalted Champion 155pts

5 Marauder Horse 91pts
Flails, Musician, MOS

5 Marauder Horse 91pts
Throwing Spears, Spears, Musician, Mos

5 Marauder Horse 91pts
Throwing Spears, Spears, Musician, Mos

6 chaos knights
Standard+Music, MoS, Rap Standard
300 pts

6 chaos knights
Standard+Music, MoS, War Banner
305 pts

6 chaos knights
Standard+Music, MoS
280 pts

W0lf
19-01-2009, 23:14
Yes like that second list alot better.

Very much improved ;)

Noserenda
20-01-2009, 00:23
:D Indeed, thanks for the pointers!

GodlessM
20-01-2009, 03:05
It's still way to small if you are looking to compete in anyway. The Horsemen will get taken down early on leaving you with your DP and Knights.

If you dropped the DP you have points for so many more things, and it would the best decision any Chaos general could make, because the DP really does suck. Everything he can do, something else in the list can do it better and for much cheaper.

Kalec
20-01-2009, 03:18
6 magic levels with no stuff to improve casting, 3 minimal units of squishy fast cav, an exalted that barely hits harder then a knight, and a scroll caddy that forgot his second scroll. You are relying on those knights to do a lot more then you can reasonably expect from them.

If you want to stand a chance, you need to drop the magic. It is too dependent on the enemy being vulnerable to psychology and failing panic tests. The DP is a horrid waste of points that you are making the least of by not taking one of the two gifts that are the only reasons to use one in the first place.

Loki73
20-01-2009, 04:13
I notice a lot of people on Warseer using Daemon Princes. I've got to ask; why, 'cause they really suck!

LOL the internet kills me.

Use the prince I rather like him. Expensive yes, able to kll entire regiments alone not usually but still FUN to use. FUN remmember that word. Thats what these games are about. Anyways.....

Second list is awsome. I would add doggs a go-go to it personally to give your oppponenent more to choose from. But other than that I like the second list as well.

GOOD choice on the demon Prince again.

Noserenda
20-01-2009, 08:30
It's still way to small if you are looking to compete in anyway. The Horsemen will get taken down early on leaving you with your DP and Knights.

If you dropped the DP you have points for so many more things, and it would the best decision any Chaos general could make, because the DP really does suck. Everything he can do, something else in the list can do it better and for much cheaper.

I dont personally see it, having used Small Fast cav units a lot in my WE army they usually only get outright butchered if Im risking them. In any case, their only replacements are either Infantry or not Slot filling hounds.

As for the DP, a tooled up disc riding Lord is only marginally cheaper, breaks theme and is (arguably) easier to kill while not causing Terror. meh.

6 magic levels with no stuff to improve casting, 3 minimal units of squishy fast cav, an exalted that barely hits harder then a knight, and a scroll caddy that forgot his second scroll. You are relying on those knights to do a lot more then you can reasonably expect from them.

If you want to stand a chance, you need to drop the magic. It is too dependent on the enemy being vulnerable to psychology and failing panic tests. The DP is a horrid waste of points that you are making the least of by not taking one of the two gifts that are the only reasons to use one in the first place.

Im not personally a believer in the Scroll caddy or maxed theory of magic use. Especially when you have units (Like the Exalted or Marauders) who can easily hunt down and kill enemy casters. I did originally have a Second Scroll yes, but dropped it in favour of the War Banner, which will probably prove more useful.

As for Panic, its the Bread and butter of a cavalry force! That said, none of the armies I expect to face are immune to Psych, and Orcs and Beastmen are the most popular! Slannesh magic wise, only 2/6 of the spells absolutely rely on the enemy being susceptible to Psych and if the Enemy is undead/daemons I can always drop for the Missile.

Which two gifts would you consider essential btw? The Caster ones?

LOL the internet kills me.

Use the prince I rather like him. Expensive yes, able to kll entire regiments alone not usually but still FUN to use. FUN remmember that word. Thats what these games are about. Anyways.....

Second list is awsome. I would add doggs a go-go to it personally to give your oppponenent more to choose from. But other than that I like the second list as well.

GOOD choice on the demon Prince again.

Cheers, Fun is nice :D not a fan of Hounds personally though. I can see the uses for them, but would rather use a more proactive unit.

It bears mentioning that the only thing in this list that Plans to engage on its own is the Exalted Champion, and hes hunting lone Characters mostly. Although the DP should do ok on most small units.

I am listening guys, but suggest things! I can easily see how to strim points off the list, just dont see attractive alternatives :chrome:

GodlessM
20-01-2009, 14:36
I'm not suggesting you get rid of the fast cavalry, I am simply saying that right now your army is so small you can't even afford to let them die as is their job, you need more units.

W0lf
20-01-2009, 17:22
7 units isnt terrible and id liek to point out imnot a massive fan of the DP, im trying to give criticism that works with what he wants not just give him my army list (which is completly diff but of no matter).

If you want to 'improve' (subjective) the list further i would indeed suggest dropping the exalted (now i look at it hes kinda pointless) and getting more,

Id start with a dispel scroll, then id give your wizard a Slaanesh steed so he can leave the unit rather then be forced to get stuck in should needs be. 3 units of hounds wouldnt go amiss for 90 pts.

That leaves a few more pts to mess about with.

grhino
20-01-2009, 17:24
I personally think that a deamon prince adds a lot of character to a chaos army. Every Warhammer player can imagine the situation where an army is being charged by brutal chaos knights, and just before the carnage begins, or after the initial charge, matters get far worse as the deamon descends upon the battlefield, inspiring the followers of chaos and wreaking havoc and spreading panic and terror in the foes of the Dark Gods!

If it actually works out like appealing picture I just drew, then this list may actually work and turn out to be very painfull to the enemy indeed. Just do whatever you want to try out!