PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knight Size Question

richter
19-01-2009, 12:55
I've finished reading the "Mechanicum" novel and got myself sort of an "Knight Hype" :). I guess one of those guys would look really nice on my PH army.

After some search I managed to get my hands on some reference images, mostly from epic models, but those aren't clear on the knight's size. All I know is that it's bigger than a space marine and smaller than a warhoud :eyebrows:

Can anyone provide any info regarding the knight's size, like in comparison to a dreadnought for instance? Scale pics (even from epic size minis) would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for the help ;)

Hellebore
19-01-2009, 13:00
In 40k scale they are going to be ~8" tall, maybe 6". A warhound is 10.5-11" tall and a knight bulks slightly smaller, but is still a war machine sized vehicle. In real size warhounds are 15 metres tall, so that would make the knight 9-12 metres tall (given 1 metre ~1.5" in the warhound size).

Hellebore

Griefbringer
19-01-2009, 13:03
The Epic models I have seen have been about 30mm tall, so a 40K model should be around 5-6 times that height.

richter
19-01-2009, 13:15
Thanks for the help so far guys. That clears up the size issue. Now i've found 2 different variants of knights, the paladin and the castellan. I've found visual reference for the palladin, anyone can help me find some for the castellan?

Griefbringer
19-01-2009, 13:33
Here is a few samples of the original Imperial knights (around 1990 or so):

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2126epicimperialknights-h.htm

And Eldar:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2131epiceldarknights-h.htm

Notice how the bases are the same as the normal 40K bases.

I am afraid I do not have any links to the Titan Legions knights.

Hellebore
19-01-2009, 13:35
I couldn't find the castellan, but here are three others:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994097-01.htm

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994177-01.htm

EDIT: Are you sure there was a KNIGHT called a Castellan? There's a robot called a Castellan....

Hellebore

Lord Damocles
19-01-2009, 14:01
Somewhere Mechanicum mentions that the knights are 9m tall IIRC.

Bear in mind that the Knights in Mechanicum arn't exactly the same as the old Knights from Epic though - what with having laser weapons, power blades and all - so you can probably get away with variations in size and armourment.

SquishySquig
19-01-2009, 14:16
:skull: The Bell of Lost Souls site has a supplement called the Lords Of Battle. http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/09/play-aid-lords-of-battle-v20.html In this they have Knight Paladin, Knight Wardin, and the Knight Lancer, data sheets. Hopefully that will help you some. :skull:

Demonrich
19-01-2009, 14:33
I couldn't find the castellan, but here are three others:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994097-01.htm

http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994177-01.htm

EDIT: Are you sure there was a KNIGHT called a Castellan? There's a robot called a Castellan....

Hellebore

The casatellan is a heavy firepower knight, very similar to a crusader, but with one of the weapons swapped.

Col. Tartleton
19-01-2009, 14:57
As you see from the Warhound though, its only a rough equivalent. The epic titans and such only resemble the 40k high detail ones. From what I see, the knights look like a terminator 500%. They're hunched over, tend to have a powerfist (dreadnought close combat weapon) and a tank sized ranged weapon.

Emperors Teeth
19-01-2009, 15:38
In Mechanicum, one of the first things said about the Knight is that it is 9 meters tall. Given a marine is over over 2m, and about 28-30mm tall, one could expect the Knight to be 5 1/2" tall. So yeah, 6" sounds fine.

I always pictured the Knight Paladin (Battlecannon, Chainsword) as a walking Leman Russ anyway.

richter
19-01-2009, 16:25
I'd like to thank everyone for the info on size and reference image links so far :). All info is most welcome, so don't hesitate to post it here ;).

So, with all the info in mind, I'd like to pose yet another question regarding the conversion/creation of the model:

Since the knights are walkers, do you guys think that a defiler would make a good base for conversion?

I've seen a couple converted in to walkers and they look tall enough (adding a piece here and there of course). Any suggestions on this ;)?

Inquisitor Engel
19-01-2009, 16:41
The epic models just don't do it for me.

I've been viewing the Knights are much more elegant than their Epic counterparts. The Lancers are fairly close to what I was thinking. With arms.

Dreachon
19-01-2009, 19:10
Not to mention that the old epic models for titans are hopelessy outdated, if they were to recieve an update the design is likely to change alot.

Col. Dash
20-01-2009, 11:42
Just for reference based on the old knights that were produced for 40k, a dreadnought stands knee high on an eldar knight. Size comparissons in pics have a space marine mid-ankle on a paladin knight. They are almost as big as warhounds but not quite.

borithan
20-01-2009, 11:52
Have to say that the old models really spoil the idea for me, as does their size... true, it said they were 9 metres high, but the picture I had in my mind was something like an enclosed extra large war walker... Those... whatever they are, are frankly hideous, particularly the wardens...

Col. Dash
20-01-2009, 12:45
Oh yes, the wardens are one of the uglyiest design concepts GW has had, thankfully they never made 40k versions of them. I am still curious if armorcast or epicast ever made Paladins or lancers. The eldar destroyer knight isnt horrible, its just in a bad and rather static stance and they are hard to come by.

Brimstone
20-01-2009, 13:01
Can anyone provide any info regarding the knight's size, like in comparison to a dreadnought for instance? Scale pics (even from epic size minis) would be a great help.

Well Epicast once produced a 40K scale knight IIRC I can't remember if any ever made it out for sale before their licence ended.

In addition a company called Dream Forge produced a 'alternative' knight that IIRC from a post on Dakka was about 10" tall, however GW legal didn't approve (understandably) and it was pulled.

The first couple of pictures are the Epicast version (a direct scale up from Epic) and the last the Dream Forge model (produced originally in 40K scale).

borithan
20-01-2009, 16:16
Hmm... that doesn't look too bad... still prefer the way I evisioned it though.

richter
20-01-2009, 18:00
Well, you guys have provided quite alot of visual material :) Thanks for all the help so far. What do you guys think about using a defiler as a "conversion base" for a knight?

Dreachon
20-01-2009, 19:56
It should give you a good base to start with.

Magos Explorator
20-01-2009, 21:19
That's what I'm doing (although have made almost no progress in recent months due to other things!). I think the scale's about right.

Col. Dash
20-01-2009, 21:31
Legs are very short on a defiler compared to a knight. Remember a dread will be mid thigh on a knight.

Inquisitor Engel
20-01-2009, 21:51
The Dream Forge model I can get behind!

Col. Dash
20-01-2009, 23:30
Hell yeah, thats a sweet model. Wish there was more than a handful in circulation. I think I will try and find one.

cuda1179
21-01-2009, 00:11
I actually own of the Dreamforge Gabriel Knight titans. It is a wonderful kit. Though there is a downside. It came with no instructions and there are two parts that I have no idea where they go.

Oh, and it is almost identical in hieght to an armorcast Reaver titan without the carapace weapon. It is a tad bulkier though.

Col. Dash
21-01-2009, 01:10
Thats a bit bigger than they are supposed to be lol unless the AC reaver is just short.

richter
21-01-2009, 09:09
I've saw a lot of references to this dream forge knight model, getting curious about it... Does anyone has a nice pic of one? Is it out of production?

I was planning building a knight to give some use to my defiler. I'm not really going to use it and a knight is both quite a nice PH piece and a kick-ass mech :)

cuda1179
21-01-2009, 10:39
I believe that only 17 of the Dreamforge Knights were sold. I have #8 off the assembly line. ;) If you need any referance pics just ask and I can wip out the camera.

cuda1179
21-01-2009, 10:41
As a side note, the Dreamforge Knight's weapons fit onto the armorcast titan's arm mounts, and vise versa.

richter
21-01-2009, 11:22
I believe that only 17 of the Dreamforge Knights were sold. I have #8 off the assembly line. ;) If you need any referance pics just ask and I can wip out the camera.

Well, if you don't mind providing some reference pics :D It would be great!

The Mighty M
19-05-2009, 19:48
are their any 'canon' images or paintings/drawings of knights. their descriptions are fairly vague in Mechanicum and they sound very agile and wholey different machines from Titans, ive drawn up plans for making a Paladin Knight based on what i want it to look like and how i imagine it looks basing it from what little description is in Mechanicum. Im lucky enough to have an ancient copy of white dwarf the month Titan Wars was released so i have lots of images of Titans and Knights. To be honest they are extremely outdated, but Im a monster for sticking to 'fluff' so ive still tried to make my Knight resemble the Titan wars knights in some ways

LonelyPath
19-05-2009, 20:16
Depending on the model of Knight, they're range from 6" to 8" in height in 40k scale.