PDA

View Full Version : Help against Tomb Kings

Artemis360
19-01-2009, 14:02
Hi all. I have to face Tomb Kings tomorrow in a thousand point battle and I don't know squat about the dried out little blighters so I've put together a bit of a nutty list. How do you think it'll fair?

Lvl 2 Sorcerer, MoT, Disc, Eye of T, Power Familiar, Third Eye 235
Lvl 2 Sorcerer, MoN, Barded Steed, Book, Enchanted Shield 196

25x Marauders, MoS, FC, LA, Sh 180
5x Warhounds 30

Malorian
19-01-2009, 14:28
MoS will be really nice here.

Just march up with those nice blocks and use those hounds to hunt catapults/redirect chariots as needed.

I think you have the tools to hold them in combat, but you don't have anything to break them once you do. I'd think about backing off the magic (personally I'd drop all of it) so you can get some knights or some warriors.

march10k
19-01-2009, 15:38
I thought the key to busting TK was going OTT on magic...? If their incantations don't go off, they're really just overcosted skeletons...

sroblin
19-01-2009, 16:07
I may be naive, but I see lots of anvils in that list but no hammers. And spending 43% of your points on characters in a 1000 pt list?

Oddly, enough I can imagine Chaos Warriors being ok in a match up against Tomb Kings (unless they go heavy on the catapults). But seriously, take something which can deal damage that's not a sorcerer. And at this points level, you don't need super tooled up characters- the Tomb Kings will be seriously struggling to field enough magic as is.

Btw, no idea how Third Eye would work on incanations, given that they're auto-cast spells and they automatically have all of them... If it worked, it would be admittedly awesome, as the incanations would make Chaos Warriors very powerful.

Vinsanity
19-01-2009, 16:21
Id suggest some Chaos Knights. At 1000pts Tomb Kings don't have a lot of points for heavy hitters and the knights would hit any unit very hard indeed. Also, if you could steal his incantations (can you even do that?), then smiting and urgency on the chaos units would end the game very quickly. Finally aim hard for the hierophant and other liche priests because the tomb kings rely on their magic.

havoc626
20-01-2009, 00:32
Third eye is not worth the points against TK, as 3/4 of their spells only affect friendly undead. The other is a magic missile that I don't think anyone uses anyway.You might as well cast you own spells for that phase, as you could only cast 1 bad magic missile.

Lord Dan
20-01-2009, 01:12
I thought the key to busting TK was going OTT on magic...? If their incantations don't go off, they're really just overcosted skeletons...

Not necessarily. The key is knowing which incantations to let off and which ones to stop, which really just comes from losing a bunch of games.

grhino
20-01-2009, 11:03
The main problem you will have is going up against a flexible TK army with chariots. They will make a mess out of your infantry line, denying rank bonusses and making lots of casualties. Try taking chaos warriors with shields (low strenght of TK will cause them no trouble) and marauder horsemen with hand weapon/shield or flails. If you add a exalted hero to a horsemen unit you may be able to take on chariots. If you add a exalted hero to chaos knight, just march them up close and take the charge... you'd even survive it and crush the unit!

huitzilopochtli
20-01-2009, 16:31
Also, if you could steal his incantations (can you even do that?), then smiting and urgency on the chaos units would end the game very quickly.

I don't think it would, if you can steal the incantations. They specifically say that they only work on "Friendly undead units". Sorry.

Take one or two heavy hitting characters and you'll be fine. As far as I can see all you need to do is walk on forward and dodge the occasional ball of flaming skulls.

EDIT; they can only be cast on "your own Undead units"

Clegane
21-01-2009, 13:18
Id suggest some Chaos Knights. At 1000pts Tomb Kings don't have a lot of points for heavy hitters and the knights would hit any unit very hard indeed.

On the contrary, at 85 points a piece, Tomb Scorpions are one of the most economical 'heavy hitters' in the entire spectrum of the game at 1000 points.
If his opponent brought three of them, it would be absolutely sickening.

Nerhesi
22-01-2009, 17:03
Hi all. I have to face Tomb Kings tomorrow in a thousand point battle and I don't know squat about the dried out little blighters so I've put together a bit of a nutty list. How do you think it'll fair?

Lvl 2 Sorcerer, MoT, Disc, Eye of T, Power Familiar, Third Eye 235
Lvl 2 Sorcerer, MoN, Barded Steed, Book, Enchanted Shield 196

5x Warhounds 30

Get rid of the book and the enchanted shield. Give that Sorc 2 scrolls.

Let through every movement incantation unless it the "game winner charge". There is usually only one of those.

TK is an army that loses 100% of time unless:

a) You haven't played against it.
b) You get unlucky with your LD rolls against screaming skulls.

Otherwise - it blows. I know. I have 5500 points. Was my first army. I love it - but with the prevalence of

a) Immune to Psych troops and
b) people knowing that at one point you will dump 2-4 incantations one unit...

The army kinda folds.

Scorpions won't do anything to a ranked unit - so unless it will hit your character, totally ignore them.

Let the Ushabti get into incantation charge range - then stop them and counter charge. The entire TK Army, minus ushabti has no armor busting capability. Basically - if you have a unit of Chaos Knights, you win the game unless he charges you with Ushabti or a scorp.

Sam W.