PDA

View Full Version : 4000pt Team Battle Royal! (DE/HE vs Dwarfs and Liz)

Commodus Leitdorf
19-01-2009, 15:27
Hello everyone!

I don't normally post Battle Reports but I thought I'd share this one with all of you. Due to limited space at our local gaming store we decided to have a massive 4000pts game! I was the odd man out so I played Referee and kept notes as the two teams battled it out.

I don't have the army lists they used but hopefully it will be clear enough for all of you to enjoy! So here we go!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00112.jpg

The DE/HE alliance won the roll to start and decided to take first turn.

-Movement

All the units move up except the High Elf Archers and the DE Repeaters who only move half distance. The War Hydra on the far right flank moved around the forest to go after the Scouting Dwarf rangers.

-Magic

The DE/HE alliance has a lvl4 HE Arch Mage, while the DE force has a lvl4 DE Supreme Sorceress and two lvl 2 sorceress. So plenty of magic to go around! The first spell of the game is Rule of Burning Iron on the Dwarf Thane leading the Longbeards which is cast with irresistible force! Causing a would. Its cast a second time by the DE sorceress in the unit of Dark riders but it is dispelled, and once more on the Saurus Oldblood on Carnisaur but it is also dispelled.

The Archmage, with the help of the banner of sorcery, had 7 dice to himself! First casting Fury of Khaine on the Dwarf Organ gun Irresistably! But only managing to kill one crew, although they fail there panic test and abandon their machine! (so much for gunners pride) The Arch mage then attempted Vaul’s unmaking but miscasts! However staff of solidity prevented any nasty effects and the first magic phase ended.

-Shooting

The Repeater Crossbowmen and the Dark Riders all let lose there arrows on the Dwarf Thunderers and manage to kill 2 between them while the HE Bolt Thrower also multi shots them and kill 2 as well, though they pass there panic. The Hydra, with the rangers in sight, breaths fire and kills 7! They however pass there panic and stay there ground.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00113.jpg

Turn 1 Lizardmen + Dwarfs

The Rangers pass there Terror test but the Cold One riding Lizardman BSB fails its stupidity test! And lumbers forward along with the unit.

-Movement

The whole Battleline moves forward the rangers turn to face the Hydra, hoping there depleted numbers have a chance against it! The Organ gun crew rally and turn back around, ready to head back towards there war machine.

-Magic

The lone Skink Priest, despite the massive amount of dispel dice on the opponents side manages to cast Forked Lightening on the Dragon Princes killing one! Fearing the enemy magic phse the Skink Priest stored two dice in his Diadem, ready to help hold off the Elf onslaught.

-Shooting

The Flame Cannon lobbed a blast of fire at the Dark Riders, only managing to touch the Sorceress in the unit, who passed her Look out sir roll…but failed to wound the Dark Riders. The large end of the template however hit the DE spears behind! Killing 4 plus the unit champion, who promptly failed there panic test and ran taking the Supreme Sorceress with them.

The Thunderers looking for revenge fire on the Repeater Crossbows killing 2 while the Dwarf bolt thrower fired on the Swordmasters killing 3. Finally the Anvil of Doom was struck against the Swordmasters as well, killing 3 more and panicking them!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00114.jpg

Turn 2 HE+DE

-Movement

The left flank continues to move forward while the right flank cautiously move forward (not liking the look of the Carnisaur there) while the centre holds its ground.

The DE spears and the Swordmasters both rally and turn again to face there enemy.

-Magic

The Magic phase starts off hard as Spirit of the Forge is cast on the center Saurus block but only managed to kill 2. Now fearing the Flam Cannons power, the DE cast Commandment of Brass on the Flame cannon but it was promptly dispelled. Finally the DE Sorceress in the Black Guard cast Law of Gold on the Carnisaur but miscast! Taking a wound and killing one Black Guard in contact.

The HE take over the magic phase and cast Fury of Khaine on the Dwarfs across from the Phoenix Guard, but it is dispelled. Annoyed at the lack of progress in the magic phase, the HE cast Drain Magic to make it harder for the Skink Priest to harm the Dragon Princes again.

-Shooting

The Hydra lets loose another breathe attack at the 3 remaining rangers and kill 2, and causing the last ranger to panic away from the great beast. The Repeater crossbows let loose on the Thunderers again killing another one. The Dark riders fire on the Slayers and kill 2 while the HE Archers fire on the center skink unit killing one. The Shades hiding behind the Dark Riders spot the Dwarfs on the far flank and let loose killing one while the HE Bolt Thrower fires on the Ironbreakers killing 2.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00115.jpg

Turn 2 Dwarfs + Lizards

The Lizards pass there stupidity, the Dwarf miners manage to show up this turn and set up just behind the Dark Elf Spears.

-Movement

The Slayers charge the Dark Riders while the Dwarfs on the Flank charge the Phoenix Guard. On the Left Flank the Carnisaur charges the Black Guard!

The rest of the army begins to move into better positions to intercept the enemy. The Miners march closer to the Dark Elf Spears infront of them while the Organ gun crew march back to there machine.

-Magic

The Skink priest decides not to cast this turn and instead puts two dice into the Diadem to hold of the Elven magic phase.

-Shooting

The Skinks on the far left fired upon the Hydra and caused a wound upon the beast while the Chameleon skinks next to the fire upon the Dragon princes and manage to slay one. The Thunderers continue there shooting war against the Repeater crossbows, but fail to hit anything. The two remaining skink units both fire upon the Dragon princes and manage to kill another, but the Princes pass there panic check.

Finally the Anvil strikes the rune of Oath and Honor sending the Miners into the rear of the Dark Elf Spears who decide better of it and flee instead.

-Combat

The Slayers and the Dark riders swing there weapons at each other menacingly but neither side can score a wound. The Dark elves lose by 3 and break, but the slayers decide its best to hold there ground and restrain. The nearby Shades and Phoenix Guard pass there panic tests
The Black Guard, sporting the Banner of Hag Graef (don’t they always) struck first and managed 3 wounds on the Carnisaur! In return however, the Carnisaur and its Oldblood rider slay the Black Guard Tower Master and 4 Black Guard. Despite this the Oldblood loses combat by 1 but passes it break test.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00116.jpg

Turn 3 DE+HE

With the Proximity of the Carnisaur, the Archers fail there Terror test and get away as fast as they can.

-Movement

Korhil on his chariot tries to charge the Carnisaur but fails his fear test! The Dragon Princes try to charge the Kroxigor but fail there fear test as well! (It was a bad day for High Elf leadership tests)
The Dark Elf spears and the Dark Riders both rally.

The Hydra, fearing more skink shots, moves back into the cover of the woods. While the Repeater crossbows move closer to the dwarf line again with the Swordmasters and Executioners behind keeping pace.

-Magic

The High Elf Arch Mage kicked off the magic phase with Fury of Khaine on the Dwarfs infront of him and managed to kill 2. Followed up by courage of Aenarion on the Phoenix Guard which get through as well.

The Dark Elf Sorceress attempts to cast Spirit of the forge on the Organ gun crew again, but it is dispelled. Then attempst to cast commandment of Brass on the Organ gun but it is dispelled as well.

-Shooting

The Crossbowmen fire on the slayers and kill 3 while the Shades do the same…unfortunately the dice gods diced to please the rolls with a curse of ones and the Shades fail to cause any wounds. The Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower fires upon the Iron breakers and manages to kill 3.

-Combat

The Black Guard attack the Carnisaur but fail to cause any more wounds on it, while the now frenzied Carnisaur and Saurus Oldblood finish off the Black Guard and wipe them out to a man! The lone Sorceress autobreaks from fear and is run down.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00117.jpg

Turn 3 Dwarf + Liz

Chameleons fail there terror test, due to proximity to the Hydra and flee. And the Saurus BSB passes his stupidity.

-Movement

The Miners charge the Dark Riders the Slayers charge the Dark Elf Spears who all hold (This leads to me ridiculing my friend and his Dark Elves…seriously He plays the one most maneuverable army in the game and his fastest unit, the Dark Riders, has been charge by Dwarfs TWICE) and the Kroxigors charge the Dragon Princes who decide to flee.

The rest of the army moves forward carefully to set up charges/prepare for charges.

-Magic

The Skink Priest attempts Lightening on the Phoenix Guard but it is dispelled. He then stores two dice.

-Shooting

The Flame Cannon fire upon the Phoenix Guard but overshoots the unit. The Dwarf Bolt thrower fires upon Korhil and his chariot and manages 3 wounds on the Chariot. The Skink units in front of the High Elf Spears all fire upon them and manage 7 wounds! The HE fail there panic test and flee from the hail of Skink fire.

The Organ gun unleashes it fury upon the shades and kill 2, but the Shades pass there panic while the Thunderers fire upon the Crossbowmen again and kill 3, though they pass there panic test. The anvil attempts to send the Ironbreakers into combat against the Crossbowmen but Missfires! And cannot be used this turn or next turn.

-Combat

The Slayers manage to kill 2 Dark Elf spears while they manage to kill 5 dwarfs in return! The Spear loose combat but hold.

The Miners flunk there attacks on the Dark riders! While the Dark Elves flunk there attacks on the Dwarfs! The only kill in the combat came from one lucky horse! (Go Horses) The Dark riders lose combat and are run down by the Miners! (Hahaha, more ridicule from me)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00118.jpg

Turn 4 DE + HE

-Movement

The Repeater Crossbowmen charge the Ironbreakers and the Shades charge the Slayers in the Rear. While the Phoenix Guard charge the Dwarf Warriors.

The HE Archers and Spearmen both fail to rally and keep running for the hills (the HE Archers flee the board) while the Dragon Princes manage to rally.

The Chariot with Korhil moves forward to threaten the Saurus battleline while the Hydra exits the forest with the intension of going after and finishing off the Carnisaur.

-Magic

With the Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress stuck in combat and the other two DE Sorceresses dead, it was up to the HE Archmage to pick up the slack. Starting with Vauls Unmaking on the Dwarfs infront of him which was dispelled easily dispelled, It was followed up with Courage of Aenarion once more which gets through again.

-Shooting

The Hydra Blasts the Hydra with its flame causing one wound on the Carnisaur. With only one wound left and a Botl thrower right in its face we all prepare for its demise…only to have the Bolt Thrower roll a one to wound! The Carni Lives on!

-Combat

The Crossbowmen flunk all there attacks against the Ironbreakers who then proceed to kill 3 of the elves. The Dark Elves break and are run down, the Iron Breakers go far enough to hit the Dark Elf Executioners behind them.

Meanwhile the Shades manage to kill 2 Slayers while the Dark Elf Spears in the front kill 2 more. The remaining Slayers hit back hard! Killing 3 Shades, 1 Spear Elf and wounding the Supreme Sorceress, The Dark Elves win the combat but the Slayers aren’t going anywhere anytime soon!
The Epic showdown between High Elf and Dwarf ends…with neither side able to cause a wound on the other! The Elves win through outnumber and the Dwarf break…and get away! (seriously…fastest Dwarfs I have ever seen!)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00119.jpg

Turn 4 Dwarfs + Liz

Stupidity is passed

-Movement

The Kroxigor charge Korhil and the Miners charge the rear of the Dark Elf Spears.

The Chamelions fail to rally and flee off the board while the Dwarf Warriors opposite the Phoenix Guard rally and turn to face them once more.

The rest fo the Battle line continues to shift and align itself for combat.

-Magic

The Skink Priest attempts Lightening on the Dragon Princes but it is dispelled. He then stored two dice.

-Shooting

The Blue Skinks fire there Javelins into the Dragon Princes but fail to wound. The Flame Cannon fires upon the Phoenix Guard but over shoots them. The Organ Gun also fires upon them and manages to kill 3.
Meanwhile the Green Skinks fire a hail of Blow darts into the Swordmasters along with a hail of lead from the Thunderers and wipe them out.

-Combat

The Miners kill 3 Dark Elf Spears while both the Spear Elves and the Shades fail to harm any Dwarfs. The Slayers kill the last Shade but fail to harm the Spears, but the damage was enough to break the Dark Elf Spears and the Dwarfs run them down! (Faaaaast Dwarfs!)

Meanwhile Korhil manages to dispatch a Kroxigor…but sadly he, and his Chariot, cannot withstand the onslaught of the Kroxigor who pop the chariot and slay him with ease.

The Iron Breakers manage to kill 1 Executioners before the Executioner strike back…revealing there surprise! The Death Hag wielding the Hydra Banner! The Executioners kill 5 Ironbreakers while the Death Hag Unleashes her 9 attacks! (3+extra hand weapon+Frenzy+Hydra Banner+ a 3 rolled on the Rune of Khaine…oh…and Manbane as well!) The BSB kills 4 Ironbreakers causing more then enough wounds to break them and are promptly run down!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00120.jpg

Turn 5 DE + HE

-Movement

The Executioners charge the flank of the Saurus block before them. The Phoenix Guard charge the Dwarf block once again and the Dragon Princes charge the Blue Skinks.

The High Elf Spears Rally (FINALLY!)

-Magic

With the Dark Elf magic eliminated and the Arch mage in combat the Magic phase is skipped.

-Shooting

The Bolt thrower once again takes aim at the Carnisaur ready to finish it off THIS time!...but rolls a 1 to hit! (hahaha)
The Hydra however, is a lot luckier. It manages to breath fire and take the last wound off the Carnisaur. Forcing the Oldblood one his feet.

-Combat

The Executioners slam into the Flank of the Saurus and kill 10 while the Death Hag adds another 2 kills. The Saurus break and the Executioners pursue and wipe them out and end up in the flank of the Saurus right next to them.

The Phoenix Guard and the Dwarfs continue there combat of inadequacy…neither side able to hurt the other. The Dwarfs however are outnumbered and break due to fear…and get away again! Much to the annoyance of the High Elf player.

The Dragon Princes manage to kill 1 Skink! The Skinks fail to harm the Princes, the High Elf Battle standard Bearer unfurls the Battle Banner and the win the combat easily. The Skinks break but the Princes fail to catch them.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00121.jpg

Turn 5 Dwarf + Liz

-Movement

The Oldblood Charges the Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, whose crew decide to flee rather then defend there useless machine!

The Dwarf Warriors rally along with the blue skinks.

The Kroxigors turn around and move closer to the Dragon Princes while the Saurus BSB moves into combat against the Executioners.

-Magic

The Skink Priest tries one more time to cast Lightning once more on the Dragon Princes but it is dispelled yet again.

-Shooting

The Green Skinks fire into the Dragon Princes and manage to kill one, but they pass there panic test.

Able to use the Anvil again the Runelord gambles and strikes the anvil with ancient power…and succeeds with the rune of Wrath and Ruin and strikes 3 units. The Phoenix Guard lose 2, the Hydra takes another wound while the Dragon Princes manage to save there wounds.

-Combat

The Saurus BSB calls out a Challenge, hoping the Death Hag will accept, but the Unit Champion steps forward and wounds the BSB. He strikes back and causes 3 wounds slaying the champion. The Death Hag once more has 9 attacks and kills 4 Saurus while the rest of the Executioners kill 3 more. Without any attack back the Saurus fail there break test and are run down by the Executioners. The Skink unit next to them decides to flee instead of facing the wrath of the Executioners (who so far have kill off 3 units by themselves and are now holding 4 banners! 1 for each unit and the BSBs banner)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00122.jpg

Turn 6 DE + HE

-Movement

The Executioners Charge the Kroxigor who aren’t interested in a fight with them and decide its best to flee. The Phoenix Guard Charge the Dwarfs, who fail there fear test but now outnumber them due to the timely intervention of the Anvil so will be hitting on 6’s.

-Magic

-Skipped

-Shooting

The Hydra breathes fire on the Oldblood but fails to wound.

-Combat

The Dwarfs and Phoenix Guards struggle continues…and neither side harms the other! (Again!) The end up in a tie.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/irontorque/More%20Warhammer%20stuff/DSC00123.jpg

Turn 6 Dwarfs + Liz

-Movement

Bravely, the Oldblood charges the Hydra hoping for Glory!
The Kroxigor and the Skinks rally

-Magic

None

-Shooting

The two remaining Skink units each take aim at the Executioners and unload 42 shot upon them and manage to kill 6 of them. The Dwarf Bolt Thrower fires upon the Executioners killing 3 more…and finally the Anvil strikes the Rune of Wrath and Ruin and kills 2 more leaving only the Death Hag BSB alone clutching her 4 precious banners and cackling gleefully!

-Combat

The Dwarfs and the Phoenix Guard continue to trade blows…and fail to wound again! The combat is a tie and both sides stare at each other in amazement

Meanwhile the Oldblood manages to cause a wound on the Hydra. The Hydra managed 2 wounds right back! Fortunately the Old Blood was Immune to Psychology and wouldn’t autobreak…but still…the dice are rolled and success! The Oldblood holds.

Game Ends in a Tie!

It was looking like a Massacre for the combined Dwarf/Liz team until the Executioners went on there “March of Death” across the board. Those units and banners are what pulled it from a Massacre to a draw.

I noticed a few rule mistakes after the fact now, but overall everyone had fun and reminding players of the mistakes would ruin the spirit of this particular game.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this Battle report!

-Commodus

Malorian
19-01-2009, 15:54
That was a big game...

Here's some notes:

-DE and HE on the same team?!?!? ;)
-Was a little hard to follow without knowing the lists to compare to the pictures.
-Warmachines don't take panic tests for losing crew as per the BRB, so that organ gun shouldn't have paniced on turn 1.
-Those elves need to work on their LD tests
-Miners running down drak riders? hehe... (Man, those are fast dwarfs...)
-"leaving only the Death Hag BSB alone clutching her 4 precious banners and cackling gleefully!" hehe...

Looks like it was a fun game :)

Nuada
19-01-2009, 18:27
Nice report, lots of detail.

That Death Hag BSB is amazing, i didn't know Dark Elf BSB's could have gifts of Khaine as well. Impressive

Commodus Leitdorf
20-01-2009, 00:54
-DE and HE on the same team?!?!? ;)
Well as for teams we just rolled dice, the two highest went together and the two lowest went together so it was kinda random, but cool to see High and Dark elves side by side.

-Was a little hard to follow without knowing the lists to compare to the pictures.
Yeah sorry, I should have worked alittle photoshop magic on the first pic to show were everything was...plus I used my Camera phone to take the pictures...oh well I'll do better next time :)

-Warmachines don't take panic tests for losing crew as per the BRB, so that organ gun shouldn't have paniced on turn 1.

The Warmachine rule was one of the things I missed, I was refing but I was also keeping notes. Added to that was the fact that in order to speed up the game everyone was doing as much as they could at the same time. The fact I was able to get all the detail in my notes is a testament to the Note taking abilities I learned in University :D

-Those elves need to work on their LD tests

Tell me about it! The player in question plays Dwarfs and High Elves and he cant make a fear/Terror/Panic test to save his life EVER!

-Miners running down drak riders? hehe... (Man, those are fast dwarfs...)

And we laughed and laughed....:D

-"leaving only the Death Hag BSB alone clutching her 4 precious banners and cackling gleefully!" hehe...

Yeah, it was looking to be a rout for the Liz/Dwarf team until that happened. I already feared the Death Hag BSB as I had experienced that combo with my Empire a few times....now everyone else in my group fears it too!

Solonor
27-01-2009, 08:50
It seems when teaming up Dark Elves and High Elves always end up together eheh, i fought a 4500 pts 3 team and it was High elves/Dark Elves/Empire vs Brettonia/Lizardmen/Dwarves (the Highlight of the game was the DE Hydra that managed to terrorize lizards, brettonian and dwarves of the board wtihout causing a single wound or entering combat). and it his the second time my High elves ally with Dark elves,(the other was a against Dwarves) and i tell you that High/dark elves alliances are great combinations.

Great battle Rep.

PS: what a waste of battle banner and Dragon princes, only a couple of skins ;) what happened?

Commodus Leitdorf
29-01-2009, 10:39
PS: what a waste of battle banner and Dragon princes, only a couple of skins ;) what happened?

Failed fear test is what happened. He tried to charge the Kroxigor early on, but due to this players particular skill at failing fear tests, it wasn't happening! :)

Dalrik
30-01-2009, 10:03
Are you guys new to the game? There were quite a few strategic, "What's the point of that?", moments that had me scratching my head. :eyebrows:

I do love slaughtering elves however. Nothing brings a Dwarf player more satisfaction.

The High Elf Battle Banner.... completely wasted.

Did the Ironbreakers have a magical banner? Think about using an ancestor rune or a Rune of Determination. Dwarfs have amazing staying power. Stubborness is amazingly powerful if used correctly.

I used to think that my gyrocopter was a waste of money... I was very wrong. To your enemy (when employed correctly) a gyrocopter can be the most annoying thing ever. Carefully move your Gyro around enemy units to deny them the right to march while harrasing them with S3, -1 to sv fire (which is more powerful than people give credit).

Commodus Leitdorf
30-01-2009, 12:24
Nah, we've all been playing for quite awhile and been to a few tournaments together. If there were some WTF moments well there can be some explanation for that. The Dwarf player wasn't playing his army, those Dwarfs actually belong to the High Elf player. The player in question suffers from sever "I dont know which army I want to play!!!" syndrome. He has gone through Empire/Dogs of War/Orcs/Chaos/Brettonia/Tomb Kings/Back to Brettonia so if he wasn't playing Dwarfs in an efficient way its only cause he wasn't playing "his" army....and none of us are really sure what that is to begin with!

As for the Dwarfs, naw they had nothing on them. Though in his defense, I'm the only person in the whole group who has lots of experience fighting Dark Elves (both old and new) so I was well aware of the hurt they can throw down...and really the players thought they had the Elves on the ropes and were kinda in cruise control...then that happened and well....you know the rest!

ryszard
30-01-2009, 19:32
Hey, nice report thanks for posting. Now get painting those minis.

selone
30-01-2009, 20:37
Thanks for the battle rep :) How long did it take btw, I've always wondered about big games taking a long time.

Thor Trommstrong
31-01-2009, 09:34
Good game, and good battle report with nice pictures, I love reading battle reports with armies that I play which is Dwarfs and DE

HE and DE a funny combination..

TT

Commodus Leitdorf
31-01-2009, 12:21
Hey, nice report thanks for posting. Now get painting those minis.

I'll be sure to tell the High Elf player to get to it! (we have a tournament coming up so hes well aware)

Thanks for the battle rep :) How long did it take btw, I've always wondered about big games taking a long time.

This game, Jeezz....about 4 hours I would imagine. We had to step it up towards the end as it was getting late and we all had places to be Generally were good though. We practice to try and keep our basic 2000pt games below 2 hours.

Good game, and good battle report with nice pictures, I love reading battle reports with armies that I play which is Dwarfs and DE

HE and DE a funny combination..

TT

Thanks! Maybe I'll post a few more reports...though I always find it hard to keep notes of whats happening and play.