PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky times in Fantasy.

White_13oy
19-01-2009, 20:00
I searched, but didn't find anything like this.

I just finished a tournament, I had one of my unluckiest games ever. I wasn't mad just because I was actually amusing that it happened. Well, First turn my Heirophant is hiding behind terrain. My dwarven opponent shoots his cannon at my bone giant. He guesses short, then rolls a 10 on the misfire dice, It goes over the bone giant, over the terrain, and lands dab smack on top of my Heirophants's head. I fail my ward save. Ok, bad start but 2/3 chance he'll live/ He rolls oa 6 on his D3 wounds. Crumble, Crumble, Crumble.

So my question is what is the unluckiest times that have happened to any of you.

Malorian
19-01-2009, 20:22
My worst game was actually just a couple of weeks ago.

I was dwarfs and up against vampires, but it didn't matter who he was anyway. First turn both organ guns misfires, the cannon missfires, and the bolt thrower misses (not actually that unlucky but it was just one more thing). On his next turn his black knights charge my thunderers, I flee and get caught, this causes my block with my general and BSB to panic and run towards his lines. He then uses Vanhels to charge them, this means they have to flee, they run over the other block and panic it. Both of the blocks are now gone because they fled into units of raised zombies. Then just to really cap it off my anvil explodes on turn two...

There was no time to blink as in a couple of seconds most of my army was just... gone...

Zarryiosiad
19-01-2009, 20:30
At Gen Con several years ago, I took my 5th Edition Dark Elves to the GW tournament. My army was led by a level 4 Sorceress, with a level 2 providing backup. In three, six-turn games, I managed to miscast with my first spell on each of my turns 17 out of 18 times. In fact, the only spell I actually managed to cast in three straight games was Black Horror, and my opponent used a dispel scroll on it.

A few years ago I attended a tournament in Texas where I played against a guy that had even worse luck than I did. I was playing a knight-heavy Bretonnian army, and he was playing Orcs and Goblins. The scenario was a "defend the objective in the center of the field" type of game, and in my first turn I sent my Pegasus Knights to squat on it. The objective was considered difficult terrain, so to keep his fanatics from being wasted, my opponent held his forces back and used shooting/magic to try and destroy my pegasus knights. After the smoke cleared, out of a unit of five knights only three knights remained. In my turn I declared a charge against the only thing I had a shot at killing: a lone shaman standing all alone right in the middle of his army. As the knights swooped in, fanatics started popping out like anti-aircraft artillery, and when the last fanatic had finally taken his shot, the sole surviving knight managed to kill the shaman. The resulting panic check for the destroyed unit made almost 1700 points of his army run off the board.

Zarryiosiad

Pacha
19-01-2009, 20:35
Well, First turn my Heirophant is hiding behind terrain. My dwarven opponent shoots his cannon at my bone giant. He guesses short, then rolls a 10 on the misfire dice, It goes over the bone giant, over the terrain, and lands dab smack on top of my Heirophants's head. I fail my ward save. Ok, bad start but 2/3 chance he'll live/ He rolls oa 6 on his D3 wounds. Crumble, Crumble, Crumble.

So my question is what is the unluckiest times that have happened to any of you.

Yeah, that exact thing has happened to me in the past.

Hierophant behind a hill. Check.
Cannon aimed at something else, bounces onto his head. Check.
Fail ward save. Check.
Die horribly. Check...

I've also had both catapults misfire and explode in turn 1, bone giants fluffing every single attack all game long, scorpions bouncing off archers etc etc. Good times :/

Duke Georgal
19-01-2009, 20:58
In 5th edition a unit of Bretonnian Knights failed a terror test on turn one, causing a chain reaction of tests and failures. I had two arrowhead units of bowmen left when all was said and done.

I conceded the game next turn.

theunwantedbeing
19-01-2009, 21:17
Unluckiest was taking 2 necromancer lords to try and prove a point to my mate that magic is worth having and that he doesnt need to take vampires either in 6th edition.

Necromancer lord on dragon as the general.
Other necromancer lord on winged knightmare about 11" away from him.
The enemy goes first.
Comet lands between them, hits, rolls a 6 for distance, hits both of them.
Kills both of them.
Army starts to crumble.
My mate thinks mages suck and now refuses to use them even more.

In a more recent game I had my sorceress sniped by a warplightning cannon at prettymuch the absolute limit of its range on his turn 1 when he went first.
That's one of the few times she's ever been killed as well which made the blow that little bit bitter.

Surgency
19-01-2009, 22:45
I had my dwarves with general flee from a side charge of elf spearmen (yeah, i know, but I had better plans for them than being caught in combat with spears). I figured, their dwarves, average run will be 6 inches. I rolled 2 6's. Brought me into contact with another unit of dwarves that had just come on the table. rules state you put them on the other side, right? That took one of my ranks off the board edge, unit gone. Well, now I had to test for panic, since I fled through my own unit. They ran to. 2 big blocks of solid dwarf infantry, including my general on SB, fled off the board, without doing anything.

I almost cried.

Fanfan
20-01-2009, 01:57
It happened to my opponent this weekend in a 250 pts Warband game:

He plays Ogres, I play Empire. On his second turn, he shoots his two Leadbelchers at my knights. Two misfires, 11 hits, 4 wounds (the remaining ogre was killed in combat next turn). The next turn, he charges the flank of my 9 swordsmen with Warrior-Priest and the front of my three flagellants at the same time with 3 Bulls including champion. 12 attacks, 1 wound, saved. I kill half of his unit and he flees for the next two turns... out of the table!

I won the game.

Krusty
20-01-2009, 02:12
I won the game.

really?
thats a shocker...

cant think of anything tooo terrible except one of my first times playing...

O&G vs my friends dwarves...
first turn, he goes first...
1. gyrocopter moves close enough to my line to release fanatics, but none of them hit or wound it...
2. panic from shooting causes 2 units of goblins, a spear chukka, and a unit of spider riders to flee
3. needless to say, through all the shooting and animosity, by the time i got the him my 2 small units of orcs wasnt nearly enough to deal with dwarven ranks and armor...

not the worst that could happen, but still pretty bad

jpf1982
20-01-2009, 02:44
I have to add mine. :)

O&G Vs. High Elves
Turn 1 my lvl 2 Shaman throws 3 dice at a spell and miscasts gaining stupidity for the rest of the game. Turns 2-5 I fail the stupidity checks. Turn 6 I am finally smart enough; roll 3 dice and miscast again killing himself. Yup....

Dwarfs Vs. Wood Elves
Somehow my Thane and his unit of 20 warriors fail a terror test and with a hop skip and a jump run off the table which left my longbeards open to get flanked by the evil tree. Oh look I lost that combat and got ran down too. :p

Dooks Dizzo
20-01-2009, 03:00
Mentioned this in another thread.

Power of Darkness on 1 dice.
Roll a 1
Sacrifice a dude.
Roll another 1.
Roll two one's for miscast.

Sorceress anhilates half the spearmen she's with, panics them and off the board. Turn 1.

Other than that nothing too terrible. But missing a charge or an over run by 1/4" can swing a game wildly out of your favor some times.

guillaume
20-01-2009, 03:04
Lizardmen Vs DE (I think)

was a while back.
I had my scarvet with the jaguar charm and a great weapon. on turn 1, the DE player brought his chariot right in the middle of the field.

On my turn I charged it, and destroyed it. Unfortunately he charged me back...No problem I say...try to catch me on 3D6, so off I flee, through a unit of kroxigor, which fail a cold blooded panic check of 7.

On my turn 2, my Scar vet refuses to rally and flees off the board, moving through a unit of 20 saurus, panicking them. At the same time, the kroxigor fail to rally and continue to flee.

On my turn 3, the kroxigors nor the sauruses manage to rally, and both fled off the board.
--------

With my ogres, two weeks ago. I get first turn: I have 3 ogre butcher: I kid you not: first spell: miscast, roll 1 on my table. The butcher goes up in smoke, and each of my butcher take D3 wounds: roll 3 for both of them.

At the end of the magic phase, i was left with 2 butcher with 1 wound each...Yet amazingly I managed to score a major victory...well pleased with myself there.

szlachcic
20-01-2009, 03:22
Mentioned this in another thread.

Power of Darkness on 1 dice.
Roll a 1
Sacrifice a dude.
Roll another 1.
Roll two one's for miscast.

Sorceress anhilates half the spearmen she's with, panics them and off the board. Turn 1.

Other than that nothing too terrible. But missing a charge or an over run by 1/4" can swing a game wildly out of your favor some times.

I have done this same thing, but didn't have the horrible miscast result, I believe the phase just ended. From that day on I have never sacrificed a model for an extra die when a 1 was rolled as I just don't trust myself.

Foegnasher
20-01-2009, 04:33
my apocolyptic games always involve a grey seer or a screaming bell.
one game, first roll of the bell, trip ones. Boosh.
another game, first spell, miscast, 12. i got a unit of deathfrenzied clanrats, and a -435 point swing in the game.

ugh. the winds of magic are a-fickle.

Rioghan Murchadha
20-01-2009, 04:43
Lizardmen Vs DE (I think)

was a while back.
I had my scarvet with the jaguar charm and a great weapon. on turn 1, the DE player brought his chariot right in the middle of the field.

On my turn I charged it, and destroyed it. Unfortunately he charged me back...No problem I say...try to catch me on 3D6, so off I flee, through a unit of kroxigor, which fail a cold blooded panic check of 7.

On my turn 2, my Scar vet refuses to rally and flees off the board, moving through a unit of 20 saurus, panicking them. At the same time, the kroxigor fail to rally and continue to flee.

On my turn 3, the kroxigors nor the sauruses manage to rally, and both fled off the board.
--------

The worst part about this is that IIRC you ripped yourself off. The scar vet wouldn't panic the saurus. To cause panic by fleeing through a friendly unit you have to be US5 or higher. A scar vet is US1 by himself.

GreenDracoBob
20-01-2009, 06:34
I had a Blood Knight Kastellan charge a unit of Dark Elf Warriors. I figure, hey, even though he is on his own, there is a Vampire right nearby to help raise, plus he can handle himself if nothing works out there. My magic phase is horrible, rolling ones and twos all over the place, especially with the Vampire trying to raise these Blood Knights. Comes down to it and there's still only one.

No problem, I thought. I declare my required challenge, making my job even easier I think. Four attacks roll to hit, two make it. I need to roll anything but snake-eyes, only to fail again. The nightmare rolls his attacks, without getting past the armor and shield of the Lordling. Finally, he makes his two attacks, hitting and wounding with both. Once again, just need to not roll a one, but there it is, an 85-point Blood Knight Kastellan lost a challenge to a 13-point Dark Elf Lordling. Of course, it would have helped to have the rest of the unit which died to the shooting and magic of a defensive Dark Elf force.

Kettu
20-01-2009, 08:17
Charged my treeman into the central unit of chaos warriors, next turn he is gang-banged by every foot unit he has (30+ warriors, 40+ marauders and ten chosen)
I mean, really... He presented every units flank ready for my wild riders, war dancers, glade guard, dryads and the other treeman.

I lost the first treeman but really, all that just to kill one treeman? He was only there to tie up the main unit for a turn.

IJW
20-01-2009, 09:28
I've learned the hard way with my Ratling Gun to never EVER roll more dice if the first one was a five. :(

Sixes are fine, but fives? Nope. Always blows up on the second roll.

Braad
20-01-2009, 09:40
Somewhere during 6th... Maybe also a bit due to my tactical qualities back then.
My first game against VC ever. I march forward with my orcs. And then my orcs start marching backwards even faster! Nearly everything off the board somewhere turn 3. IIRC only my warboss on wyvern and black orcs (back then, that was 1 unit max) made it to combat, killing maybe 2 or 3 skellies.
I had nothing, zero, zip left. He finished with plenty more models then he started with.

One I'll never forget, and maybe posted a bit too often here... In the time the orcs still had an item that allowed to re-roll all dice of a cast, even to prevent miscast. So I roll three times 1 with my shaman. Dreaded... Decide for a re-roll, and again roll three times 1... On misfire chart: 1. KABOOM!

And a nice one on my regular opponents side. First time he uses his Slann (fifth generation, the one that can miscast) in a huge unit of temple guard. Left the flank of that unit open, so I charged my Warboss on wyvern with shaga's screaming sword into that flank, and he had 3 characters (including the slann) in range. That should be fun. Ofcourse he survives, since that whole temple guard thing is stubborn, cold blooded and a BSB in it...
Then he attempts to do some magic, miscasts, and roll's the result that everything in BtB explodes, taking down half the unit of temple guard. My wyvern had an easy job after that.

The Red Scourge
20-01-2009, 09:59
I had one this weekend. It was WoC vs. the evil empire.

I was rushing his flanks to get at his two cannons (they thought duck season was in, and that my disc rider and daemon prince were huge ducks) with warhounds and marauder horsemen. The hounds and horsemen should just run a 5 man unit of huntsmen down each, and they'd put an end to those troublesome cannonballs.

In the center a steam tank had taken the bait, squashed a unit of warhounds and set up to take a beating from 3 dragon ogres w. great weapons.

Hounds charged failed to hit anything and was cut down to two (from six) – the brave pooches left at least held their ground at least. On the other flank 4 horsemen charged, botched up everything, lost the fight and was run down by 5 huntsmen – they later claimed a table edge too :'(

And in the center the dragon ogres failed their fear test and ran from the stank (yes, we had a bit of a rules mixup).

- Oh, and just to add salt to the wound, my general had fallen from a snake eyes on an armor save the round before.

Luckily bad luck was all around, his arch lectors war alter didn't make a single ward save, and was taken out by a throwing axe from marauder horsemen. And when the cannons hit the DP, they rolled 1's to wound or was saved on the ward save.

I scraped out a minor victory, but it was a blood bath. Out of two armies with a US120 each, only 14 remained of the WoC and 19 of the empire.

akgaroth
20-01-2009, 18:45
Well, if it were for me, the whole probabilitity theory would crumble. I didn't have any particular outrageous unlucky moment, but I roll too many 1 and 2 in close combat (about half the dices I roll). And playing with WoC that's pretty annoying.

Quetzl
20-01-2009, 18:47
I personally don't think that I've ever had any really unlucky games. I've had the odd stupid turn but then the turn after has all the rolls you could ever want :D

But I'd like to state that I'm just generally pretty naf at the whole concept of Warhammer and my ability to avoid uber bad luck isn't that much of a bonus.

Emissary
20-01-2009, 19:05
Worst bit of luck in warhammer I've had was in my last rogue trader tourney. It was a few years ago right when the Storm of Chaos book came out. I was using a sylvanian armylist and played a nurgle daemon army in the first round. Vampire Lord with great weapon and block fo 24 drakenhoff guard charge block of plaguebearers. 1 hit total and no wounds. Next turn 2 black coaches charge a block of plaguebearers to help out. Double 1s for impact hits, killing nothing, plus the attacks from the steeds and crew do nothing. Over the course of around 6 rounds of combat I missed every attack with the guard and coaches and my lord only managed 2 hits (out of 30) resulting in 1 wound which was saved.

Later in the tourney some jungle swarms charged my lord and his unit, managed to get three poisoned attacks wounds against the lord and he managed to fail all three of his 4+ ward save rolls. Then he proceeded to blow his head off on a miscast when I only rolled 2 dice to cast a spell. Him dying turned a solid victory into a narror defeat. Over the course of the tourney the lord failed ~10 4+ inv saves and never passed one. The only thing that item did for me was make my lord have to pass stupidity checks. Somehow though I managed to come in 2nd out of 48 people (Gogo painting, comp and sportsmanship scores.)

My luck with the dice sucks overall just to be an equal opportunity bad roller. I've changed dice multiple times and it never ends. I once lost 3 deathwing terminators to 8 grot shots. In one warmachine/hordes tourney I rolled 11 1s in a row and 15 out of 16 in that span. (me and my opponent were shouting it out after I rolled my 6th 1 in a row). We did the odds of it happening and I'm convinced I used my one out of the world luck event in my life on that rather then something good like the lottery...

vampires are cool!
20-01-2009, 19:20
If i was a religious man, i would think that i had done something truely terrible to the Lords on High because i cannot remembre a game where i've had a smooth run for even a phase. I could resite a list of woes and troubles but my all time biggest failure came a few weeks ago (a day before i went into hospital as it happens, so go figure).

Playing ogres with my VC, i start.
Vampire Lord casts Summon Undead Hord. Miscasts. Dies. Takes six grave guard with him. Necromancer, tries to resurrect the GG (i need to make the casting value so i use two dice). Miscast. Kills himself. Vampire tries the same spell, two dice. Ends the magic phase.

Second turn, remaining necromancer and vampire both manage to hold the arm together - just. Minor damage from ogre missiles, nothing much.

Third turn. Knock out miscast from the vampire, sending him insane and gibbering. Necrmancer shovels bricks into his mouth and cant be bothered to cast magic. Ogres wipe out ALL units in combat, yes, thats right, all!

Ten minuites later i'm reaching for my emergancy burbon and fighting the urge to strangle my over smug opponant.

Caine Mangakahia
20-01-2009, 20:04
6th Edition Vampire Lord against a Mounted Chaos Lord. VC had 1+ armour save and a 5+ ward save. Takes the Chaos Lords attacks and survives with one wound. Gets his head kicked in by the horse.

Foegnasher
20-01-2009, 20:32
I've learned the hard way with my Ratling Gun to never EVER roll more dice if the first one was a five. :(

Sixes are fine, but fives? Nope. Always blows up on the second roll.

me too. this evariably happens to me. to the point that I will not roll again if a five comes up.

Lord Malorne
20-01-2009, 20:35
Fanatics released last turn, moved shaman so he wouldn't get hit....like a magnet the fanatic went straight for him :p.