PDA

View Full Version : Daemonhunters/Witch Hunters how does new Marines and Guard effect you?

Kelpi
20-01-2009, 07:34
This is a question for all those Daemonhunters and Witch Hunter players out there. I've always liked the style of them but have been disappointed by the aging codexes. DH seems to have it the worst of the two. WH seems decent but could still use a couple of updates.

Ideally Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters need an updated codex but failing that does the new Marines and impending Guard soften the blow at all? Would new & improved inducted guard help the DH/WH players out there or not really?

How about the new marines? Seems like inducted tactical squads or scout squads aren't terribly different from the older incarnations but it does give you access to the cheaper transports, drop-pods and Sergeant Telion (not sure on that). Is any of this something you can use or not really too useful?

carldooley
20-01-2009, 07:43
the ability to divide into combat squads is probably going to impact the inquisition armies more than anything, considering that you are limited to the options in the codex. that, and the ability to take drop pods and the drop pod assault rule will likely work wonders.

Looking into the future - I see both trying to make room for 3 drop pods in their forces, two full tacticals to combat squad, and a dreadnought, at the least.

also, you are going to have to wait for the next FAQ as to the limitations for Land Speeders, considering that you could have a wonderful unit of anti tank\MEQ in taking a full squadron of typhoons. which could be a game breaker when combined with Exorcists.

**edit**
Besides, I would be FAR more eager for them to make a combined codex for all 3 ordos, considering that we have yet to see one for the ordo Xenos. However, considering that it has been 3+ years since I mentioned this possibility on the GW boards, I'm not holding my breath.

Cherubael
20-01-2009, 11:18
the ability to divide into combat squads is probably going to impact the inquisition armies more than anything, considering that you are limited to the options in the codex. that, and the ability to take drop pods and the drop pod assault rule will likely work wonders.

Looking into the future - I see both trying to make room for 3 drop pods in their forces, two full tacticals to combat squad, and a dreadnought, at the least.

also, you are going to have to wait for the next FAQ as to the limitations for Land Speeders, considering that you could have a wonderful unit of anti tank\MEQ in taking a full squadron of typhoons. which could be a game breaker when combined with Exorcists.

Slight problem with that idea. If you take any Soritas units in a Witchhunter army, or Grey Knights in a Daemonhunters army you cannot take Allied Space Marine units. So really unless the WH or DH player is willing to do without sisters or grey knights, the new marine codex really has no impact at all on their armies.
The Imperial Guard codex should have a bigger impact since they can be combined with Sisters and Grey Knights and i may grab a couple of squads to add to my Grey Knight force.