PDA

View Full Version : Combined unit strength for flanking?

Nuada
20-01-2009, 13:58
Do you combine the unit strength of all your units when you flank attack an enemy? It doesn't happen very often, but I've always assumed you do add up all your unit strength. Reading the BRB it suggests you don't.

In the BRB page 38 it says.... "This bonus (the rank bonus) is lost if the unit is fighting to its flank or rear against an enemy unit with a unit strength of 5 or more."

Because it says an enemy unit ,it implies a single unit that has to be US5 or higher.If you look at the Outnumber Enemy section that says "if the combined unit strength of all your units in the combat....."

So, for example if i charge 2 chariots (both of them are unit strength 4) into the flank of a unit with a rank bonus of 3 do i cancel his rank bonus?

semersonp
20-01-2009, 14:10
Do you combine the unit strength of all your units when you flank attack an enemy?

when determining rank breaking ability: nope
when determining outnumber for combat: yep

In the BRB page 38 it says.... "This bonus (the rank bonus) is lost if the unit is fighting to its flank or rear against an enemy unit with a unit strength of 5 or more."

Because it says an enemy unit ,it implies a single unit that has to be US5 or higher.

that's right!

If you look at the Outnumber Enemy section that says "if the combined unit strength of all your units in the combat....."

that's also right!... for determining outnumbering...

So, for example if i charge 2 chariots (both of them are unit strength 4) into the flank of a unit with a rank bonus of 3 do i cancel his rank bonus?

nope.

good gaming! :)

Necromancy Black
20-01-2009, 20:56
Different rules for outnumbering and flanking. Outnumbering is the combined US of every model in close combat, flanking is only the US of each individual unit. So in your case, each chariot is a individual unit, and neither of them have US >4 so the don't get any flanking bonus's.