PDA

View Full Version : 2250 O&G Horde

Fredmans
20-01-2009, 17:21
Inspired by the ongoing army design debate (minimalism), I wonder if this army would work or not. My own success as an O&G Warboss has been earned by reducing the number of units and making them more offensive, ie better at gaining CR, but they also tend to cost more. By reducing the cost of units, I get more units, but is that necessarily a good thing?

Black Orc Warboss
Boar, HA, Ulag's, Enchanted shield, Um's At, Kickin Boots

As hard as they get. Also expensive, but the Warboss has two purposes, survive in order to grant the army that vital Ld and also to be the most capable fighter in the army.

Black Orc Bigboss
BSB, Boar, HA, Mork's Totem

Magic protection, BSB and quell animosity in one package

Black Orc Bigboss
Boar Chariot, HA

No items, just trying to take advantage of the Waaagh move

Savage Orc Bigboss
GW, Boar Chariot

Scary when it works. If the chariot crashes, you still have a good hero who can dive into one of the many units around.

2x23 Boyz
choppa, shield, LA, musician, standard

The warboss goes in one unit, the BSB in the other.

24 Boyz
choppa, shield, LA, musician, standard

I had 10 spare points, so I buffed this unit.

2x10 Savage Orc Boyz
x choppa, musician

Support elements, potent enough to not be ignored, cheap enough to be wasted without concern.

2 x 5 Wolf Riders
shortbow, LA, musician

I seldom charge with my wolf riders, so the short bows are there to give the impression of offensive meaning.

5 Spider Riders
spear, shortbow, shield, musician

The same goes for Spider Riders, but I need them to protect terrain pieces.

21 Night Goblins
Netters, musician

21 for panic protection. No upgrades. This is a pure support unit. If charged, it will flee, if something else is charged, it will support to reduce S.

21 Night Goblins
shortbow, fanatic

Pure flank protection.

2 x Boar Chariot

With 4 chariots in all, some should make it to the enemy.

4 x Spear Chukka

The most worthwile 140 points spent in the army. I would take more if I was not worried about all my units running in the way of clean shots.

2 x 1 Troll

Mini-chariots, fear-causing, non-panicking tactical reserves. I have some doubts about taking two, since one almost certainly will fail its Stupidity chek and fall behind as the Warboss moves up the field, but they are cheap and also take one slot each in the deployment phase.

Total: 2246 points

I do not know, what say you? There are essentially 15 arguable points spent on shortbows, but otherwise it feels quite minimal. 5 infantry blocks. 2 support infantry units, 4 war machines, 4 chariots, 3 fast cavalry and 2 trolls.
Since O&G cannot rely on fancy 2-line or checker block formations, I will probably cover the entire deployment zone.

I am thinking of replacing the Savage Orc Big Boss on a chariot to a Goblin Shaman with 2 Dispel Scrolls, but also on a chariot. That would cost me 10 points more, so I would have to ditch 6 points.

/Fredmans

Stuffburger
21-01-2009, 03:28
I can't add that much, besides to say this is one of the better O&G lists I've seen. The mass of chariots seems like a great way to add punch. My only suggestion would be to throw away one of the savage orc supporting blocks and buff up the main orc blocks a few more guys. Clinging on to the full +3 rank bonus for an extra turn can never hurt, though that is just my opinion and I tend to face a lot of shooting.

barbadark
23-01-2009, 06:25
A really hard O&G list and I think this could achieve great results in uppcomming tournaments.

In a tournament senario I would try to go for the shaman aswell to give some more magical defense.

Would be tough playing you if you use the ETC rules whick meens that you can get additional 250 p because they graded O&G a one of the weakest armies.

Kirth
23-01-2009, 06:57
Every unit with the exception of trolls are pure value. I've come to the same realization that you had. With O&G, you have to get value out of your units and have a great variety.

Frenzied chariots are just so fierce, it may be worth it to change the BlOrc on Chariot to Savage. There is just so much hitting power for such a value.

I feel you've nearly got the right mix of units, but maybe make use of squig hoppers or maybe even some savage orc boar boys. These are both threatening units, but in different ways. The squig hoppers can dominate terrain so easily, blindly charging units hiding in forests and really making a mess of them. The boar boys suffer from different pitfalls compared to chariots, so I've found that having a mix is best. Your opponent has to use more of his tools to combat the variety of your tools.

Fredmans
25-01-2009, 10:06
I can't add that much, besides to say this is one of the better O&G lists I've seen. The mass of chariots seems like a great way to add punch. My only suggestion would be to throw away one of the savage orc supporting blocks and buff up the main orc blocks a few more guys. Clinging on to the full +3 rank bonus for an extra turn can never hurt, though that is just my opinion and I tend to face a lot of shooting.

Thank you. The reason not going for bigger blocks is that with mobile characters, I can move them between any of the three units. If I go for bigger blocks, I know that I want to keep my warboss in the bigger block, which might restrict my game play. With the warboss and the BSB in the same unit, it will boost my block to 27 for rank purposes. Then again, I might find some points to bring them up to 25.

A really hard O&G list and I think this could achieve great results in uppcomming tournaments.

In a tournament senario I would try to go for the shaman aswell to give some more magical defense.

Would be tough playing you if you use the ETC rules whick meens that you can get additional 250 p because they graded O&G a one of the weakest armies.

In a tournament I would definitely go for the chariot shaman. If I had another 250 points I would mostly enhance or expand units rather than bringing more units to the table. The only units I would consider adding are more fast cavalry.

Every unit with the exception of trolls are pure value. I've come to the same realization that you had. With O&G, you have to get value out of your units and have a great variety.

Frenzied chariots are just so fierce, it may be worth it to change the BlOrc on Chariot to Savage. There is just so much hitting power for such a value.

I feel you've nearly got the right mix of units, but maybe make use of squig hoppers or maybe even some savage orc boar boys. These are both threatening units, but in different ways. The squig hoppers can dominate terrain so easily, blindly charging units hiding in forests and really making a mess of them. The boar boys suffer from different pitfalls compared to chariots, so I've found that having a mix is best. Your opponent has to use more of his tools to combat the variety of your tools.

I find the BO:s extra D6" a real tactical asset, and I would rather drop the savage chariot, since I find frenzy a liability that you have to babysit. I find squig hoppers of value in roughly a third of the games I play, the other two thirds they always disappoint me. A little too random for me. Sometimes you want to sneak them up the flank and roll 18", giving your opponent a free overrun. Other times, you think you are up for a charge and roll 6", failing by 1", again presenting an overrun. If I knew I was facing Wood Elves I would take them, other than that, I am not so sure. I love SOBUBBs, and field them regularly, but mostly against VC where I can dictate where to hit them. Against other races, I find them a little too expensive for being so vulnerable. With the latest armies I also find more and more uses for chariots. Black Guards, send 2 chariots into them, Sword masters, ditto, VC and daemons, check. Also, these armies often lack the S7 auto-kill capabilities like Empire and Dwarves. A year ago, I never fielded chariots since I found them to be target practice for artillery. Now, I see less and less artillery and more and more hard-hitting, yet relatively vulnerable infantry.

My biggest concern is terrain, and being outperformed by elite tarpits (regenerating Grave Guards, Nurgle plaguebearers etc).