PDA

View Full Version : Post your House Rules

Juggernaut246
20-01-2009, 23:43
We all have them in some form or another. Why not share them with the rest of warseer.

At my group we dont change much. However when we play a apocalypse game we generally use 4th edition scoring rules... and thats about it :P.

TheOneWithNoName
20-01-2009, 23:44
CSM can take Dreadnoughts and Daemons from 3.5 codex, they are fearless but use old summoning rules (ie, no charge).

ZOMGBBQ
21-01-2009, 00:10
I have a house rule stating that we play by the rules!

RichBlake
21-01-2009, 00:15
We only have one:

Vehicles, including walkers, cannot go above the ground level.

It never says in the rulebook vehicles can't drive up to the top level of the building but it's daft that they can.

Also if your opponent makes a mistake and/or breaks the rules it's up to the opponent to decide what their punishment is (within the confines of the game obviously, not talking 40 lashes here or anything). Whether that's accidently pre-measureing meaning they have started their shooting phase or someone rolling too many dice and the opponent choosing whether to accept the result or re-roll all the dice the wronged player gets to choose.

Oh yeah, and don't be an **** hole. That's the other rule.

studderigdave
21-01-2009, 00:22
just a bunch of APOC stuff:

flank march gets your 6 "points" of units to flank with. troops are 1 point, HQ. elites and FA are 2 points, heavies are 3 points. super heavies and garg creatures cannot flank march

distruption beacon works on a 5+

maelstorm of gore affects running as well

only one datasheet that involves a named character per side, no triple eldrad seer councils.

callidus "word in an ear" cannot affect super heavies

you cannot spin super heavies with eldritch storm

all catastrophic damage rolls are at +2

no "stealing the initiative" in our apoc games

if you cannot dedicate the ENTIRE day to the game, you deploy up front, and play agressive.

objectives mean nothing, we play to the last model.

TheDarkDuke
21-01-2009, 00:24
-Play by the rules given and paid for.
-Mistakes happen, and if neither of us caught it at the time, to bad, so sad.
-Don't be a douche! lol.

Lexington
21-01-2009, 00:27
We don't use the ridiculous, anemic mission system of 5th Ed, and use 4th's instead, including the way one accounts for victory points. Troops are still the only scoring unit, however.

Khornies & milk
21-01-2009, 00:30
A lot of our group play tank heavy lists so we turfed the str 4 defensive weapons nerf.

Other than that...play fair and play hard, and by the rules.

Hicks
21-01-2009, 00:52
Well we have one that most players in my gaming group are very, very happy to use... we use VPs instead of KPs.

Pooky
21-01-2009, 01:55
Not really a house rule but my freind and I are pretty casual about measureing things like shooting and charge ranges. For example if my assault marines are 6.5" away then they are close enough to charge. I know it probably seems like a small thing, but we find it dampens the game if we end up being rules nazi's about small things like being 1/2" away.

Oh, that and we need to have beer and pizza after we play ;)

NovaScotius
21-01-2009, 02:12
1. He who is not hosting the game shall provide the snacks.
2. Touching the models of another player without consent shall invite the wrath of the 'thrown rulebook' - A must unpleasant punishment.
3. Play the theme of your army, don't try to power game.
4. No cheese - Unless it is the kind of cheese that afore-mentioned snacks can be dipped in.
5. Don't be a prat.

cleansingfury
21-01-2009, 05:16
If the Imperial Guard player gets paired with the chaos player for a doubles league/torunament then the guard HQ's can summon demons.

Flamers of all type inflict continued damage roles. I think this spawned from an old rule but unsure. It means if a model is hit but not killed the model counts as being flamed every turn for another 2 turns as if it were on fire, unless it goes to ground.

willydstyle
21-01-2009, 05:24
My big problem with "house rules" is that while the basic rules are not perfect, any time you change them it invariably benefits one army over another. Also, house rules can discourage new players. When they try to do something that is correct by the book, and one of the vets goes "we don't do it that way 'round these parts," it can feel like you're getting cheated, and we LIKE new players.

AlmightyNocturnus
21-01-2009, 06:03
(back up to StudderingDave) "objectives mean nothing, we play to the last model"

That rules! I used to play Man`O`War that way with my gaming group back in the day. I now live in a different country and my gaming group is so "by the book" - they never play house rules and they never play till the last model. I`d love to play Apocalypse Last Model Standing! After all, how can you have survivors in a game called "Apocalypse"?

Almighty Nocturnus

ParadoX_83
21-01-2009, 08:16
Going to have to go the way of Robuite Gulliman here and say deviations from the codex will be veiwed as heresy and not be tolerated.

But if I play under someone elses roof, ill respect there rules as long as they are reasonable.

IJW
21-01-2009, 09:02
We only have one:

Vehicles, including walkers, cannot go above the ground level.

It never says in the rulebook vehicles can't drive up to the top level of the building but it's daft that they can.
Nah, that was 4th ed./CoD. 5th ed. lists exactly which unit types can go up in ruins, and vehicles aren't in the list. p83.

Oh yeah, and don't be an **** hole. That's the other rule.
I thought that was covered in the most important rule? ;)

We don't really have any house rules, but then there are quite a few players in the club who go to the GT, plus occasional members who wouldn't know the house rules in the first place...

Apocalypse is another matter, but then you're specifically encouraged to make up your own house rules, not that anyone should need the encouragement.

Tehkonrad
21-01-2009, 09:24
Character voices when issuing challenges are mandatory, as is naming all characters/vehicles (not transports) and using appropriate insults
for example

Imperial Player: "Burn in hell, for thou are Xenos Horrificus"
Tau Player: "Eat Carbine, filthy uncooperative Gu'ela

Vote Kantor
21-01-2009, 11:05
NOBODY WINS BUT ME
nah im kiddin

I like rules such as,
survivor points (used in conjunction with kill points)
this means that in ahnialate you get a point for each squad alive at the end of the game as well, (we found this the only way to balance out sm and ig armies)

and of coarse
TAU FAIL ON A 1+

The Highlander
21-01-2009, 11:16
You can shoot into any combat that DOES NOT include ANY models from your or an allied army i.e. during a three way game.

heroc
21-01-2009, 11:24
We have one simple one for Necrons.
Remove any reference to the phrase "Of the same type" from the WBB rules.
It eliminates the same repetitive Necron lists over and over again.

ImhotepMagi
21-01-2009, 11:34
More for practical purposes than anything else but:

1)Thou shalt reroll any die that does not end its roll perpendicular to the tabletop

2)Thou shalt reroll any die that leaves the tabletop while rolling (i.e. rolling onto the floor-no hunting for sixes!)

3)Only UNSUCCESSFUL die rolls may be picked up until the action being rolled for is resolved.

Draconian77
21-01-2009, 12:50
A few, we play them on and off depending on who is playing what.

- Vp's instead of Kp's.

- Rules for terrain modified slightly, with most changes revolving around multi-story buildings.

- S6 Defensive Weapons.

- Bleed Out. For every wound a MC has at the start of its turn it must roll a D6. For every 1 that is rolled it takes another wound. (This one is normally just used when I play with my Zillas because otherwise they don't have a chance.)

- If a die is on the floor it's a failure and so are you!

- HULK SMASH!

I think thats the main ones covered...

Hunter245
21-01-2009, 15:57
We just started and we play that if we mistake a rule theres no going back in time. Our faults and that if you dont know if you moved fired with a unit you cannt do anything

Your Evil Twin
21-01-2009, 17:52
Most of our house rules tend to be about the fluff of your models (though it has to be on the model) my ork trucks look like aircraft, lof is measured from the base and it doesnt bother people, my bro used yo have chimera's with "assault doors" on the front very nicly modeled in, I charged him 10pionts per tank and let him use them as exit points and so on!

Also, we tend to move models slightly less than 6" and when there is something hard to place a base on e.g. city fight, we place the model behind it not in front! This totally stops accidental over movement!

Ajamax5
24-01-2009, 00:40
For city fight games, if you're shooting a unit behind another in a street, the hits are randomized. 4+ the target is hit. 3+ the unit in front is hit. Aside from that. We're working on some experimentle rules for allowing scouts to shoot their missile launchers after moving. We've always found it easy to picture a scout squad running from one piece of cover to another and the moment before the heavy weapon toting soldier gets there, he drops on one knee and fires and dives out of sight with his squad. Probably just give him a temporary BS 1 and raise the cost by 5.

CthulhuDalek
25-01-2009, 05:48

1)Thou shalt reroll any die that does not end its roll perpendicular to the tabletop

2)Thou shalt reroll any die that leaves the tabletop while rolling (i.e. rolling onto the floor-no hunting for sixes!)

3)Only UNSUCCESSFUL die rolls may be picked up until the action being rolled for is resolved.

Basically the same for me.

We sometimes make up house rules for cool scenarios. We also make up rules for certain types of terrain that are too tall, or look like they could be impassable from one angle but not from another, etc.

Also, if you roll too many die, we usually reroll the whole hand, or if you flub on how many die you pick up, the whole hand usually goes as well. Like, if I rolled ten die when it should have been 5, we just reroll with 5 more.

We usually forget leadership tests...but not on purpose. It's the most commonly skipped rule...

My usual stance is that if you *forget* to do something in your own phase you cannot go back and redo it. There are some exceptions that depend on who is playing and how bad the mistake was...

Inquisitor_Ra
16-02-2009, 01:09
1.) the dice rolling box is god, if you mniss the box with the dice when you roll, its a faliure, if they bounce out of the box because you threw to hard, there a faliure, if you loose a dice, your turn is skipped every time its your turn till you find it.

2.) all of the chaos daemons troops come in stead of half if you play under 750 pts.

3.) if you somehow get your 6+ armour save, you can reroll it 3 times if it wails. they deserve there 6+ save if they get it.

4.) if usuing proxy's, flying bases count as the really big bases if you run out of bases.

5.) make your own objective's in the campaigns and have other people agree with it (ex in a 750 pts game, my objective might be to kill 2 eldar squads for the lord of excess, eldar might be to active a web way, tyranids might be to get a certain unit under snyapases.)

Gazak Blacktoof
16-02-2009, 01:31

Yep, these apply to any game we play and help avoid common arguments.