PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a very annoying Dark Elves army!!!

Jerak
21-01-2009, 00:41
Hey there guys!
Right iv been playing fantasy for about 10 years now( not that it shows in my skill level :( ) and the only army i have ever used is Vampire Counts so i figured it was time for a change! I have always loved the dark elves but never actually got round to playing with them untill now.
So this army is completly different to any kind iv used in the past and would really appreciate any critisism you can throw at me ( and if you like any praise as well). Im hoping that the army will be quite competative but not overly so. i just wanted a change of tactics.

So here we go-

Supreme Sorceress
Level 4
Pegasus
Black Staff
Pendant of Khaeleth 400 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Darkstar Cloak 210 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Tomke of Furion 200 pts

5 Dark Riders
Musician
Repeater Crossbows 117 pts

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

7 Shades
Great Weapons 126 pts

Total-1996 pts

Ok so the maine plan is to manouver and harry flanks and rear of the enemy and shoot lots and hopefully take a few guys down. I think i will be using the Lore of Fire on my Sorceresses so i have lots of magic missiles. So there we go let the ripping begin!

Jerak

Lord Dan
21-01-2009, 00:48
What do you do against monsters?
What do you do against heavy cavalry?
What do you do against gunlines?

You have a lot of annoying things, but no real hitting power.

Jerak
21-01-2009, 00:58
Ok against Gunlines i probably will die!

Against heavy cavelry i will avoid whilst shooting and hopeully whittle it down till its not really a threat anymore and if im playing aginst bretts ill take lore of metal!

Against monsters im actually not too sure! anything that isnt a dragon i can shoot it untill it falls over (hopefully) but against dragons im really hoping to work that out after i play a few of them!

Jerak

Autobot HQ
21-01-2009, 09:17
Hey there guys!

Hey.

Right I've been playing fantasy for about 10 years now (not that it shows in my skill level :( ) and the only army I have ever used is Vampire Counts so I figured it was time for a change! I have always loved the dark Elves but never actually got round to playing with them untill now.
So this army is completely different to any kind I've used in the past and I'd really appreciate any critisism you can throw at me (and if you like any praise as well). Im hoping that the army will be quite competative but not overly so. I just wanted a change of tactics.

So here we go -

So many grammer corrections :p hehe!

Supreme Sorceress
Level 4
Pegasus
Black Staff

Nice, but why a Pegasus? The PoK doesn't protect her mount, so the first unit she gets in range of WILL kill her mount and leave her foot-slogging it across the table, with no units to join apart from shades. If you're going to mount her, I'd suggest a Dark Steed, if you want something flying I'd say at least a Manticore, maybe even a Dragon.

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Darkstar Cloak 210 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Tome of Furion 200 pts

Not as bad as the lvl4 as they're only support casters, but I'd probably want them on Dark Steeds as they'll be alot safter. However, if you did grab your Supreme Sorceress a big mount, them flying in tagent with her could provide alot of targets, and hopefully save them from an untimely death.

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

I'd personally have 3x6 rather than 4x5, but that's more a matter of opinion. There's nothing ever wrong with taking Dark Riders. Ever.

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts
- With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts
- With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

To very powerful units, Shade-Deathstars are popular builds right now for a good reason, and again with these units hopefully you'll provide alot of support for your flying circus.

7 Shades
Great Weapons 126 pts

Overkill. A third unit isn't needed in my opinion, and by scrapping them you'll have freed up almost enough points for a big monster for your S.S

Total-1996 pts

Ok so the maine plan is to manouver and harry flanks and rear of the enemy and shoot lots and hopefully take a few guys down. I think i will be using the Lore of Fire on my Sorceresses so i have lots of magic missiles. So there we go let the ripping begin!

Jerak

I'd Suggest 3x6 Dark Riders, and scrap the third shade unit, and grab a Manticore for the S.S. I'd also give her a focus familiar instead of the Black Staff, as this will allow you to charge in and use the familiar to cast out of combat so she doesn't lose spellcasting potential whilst Manti' is eating your opponents face. It will also allow you to fly around and use cover much more effectively to screen the Manti' whilst not hindering your view of the battlefield.

A-HQ

Draconian77
21-01-2009, 09:58
You actually don't need to worry about your opponent shooting you at all, some Chillwinds and Word of Pains will sort that problem out!

I wouldn't mount your High Sorceress on a Manticore/Dragon at all.

You may want to look at taking 4 Lv2 casters rather than a Lv4 and 2 Lv2's, you lose the Black Staff but gain another Chillwind. (I can't stress how important this spell will be if your trying to run this list)

You may want to add a Seal of Ghrond to one Sorceress, a Lifetaker to another and Dispel scrolls on the ones with the Tomb of Furion and the Darkstar Cloak.

To make the points for this just cut the extra Shade unit?

EndlessBug
21-01-2009, 12:47
I agree with Draconian77, 4 lvl 2's will do better than 1 lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2s for you. I'd also drop the 4th unit of dark riders and get 2 units of 5 harpies instead.

Also drop the last unit of shades.

Setup could be:
Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel scroll 235 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Focus familiar
Dispel scroll 235 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Lifetaker
Tome of Furion 230 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Dispel scroll 210 pts

37 points remaining means you can drop 1 shade from 1 of the units and grab another unit of 5 harpies.

so it would be

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel scroll

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Focus familiar
Dispel scroll

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Lifetaker
Tome of Furion

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Dispel scroll

5 Dark Riders
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5 Dark Riders
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5 Dark Riders
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

7 Shades
Great Weapons

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars

8 Shades
Great Weapons

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars

TOTAL: 2000 points

Mannfred
21-01-2009, 12:48
Annoying defiently but theres a problem...u've got heaps of gud movement and lots of shooting and magic...but close combat ur sorta lacking...against enemy flyers u'll suffer and other high movement armies like Wood Elves or High Elves....against undead armies u might suffer as u have no game winner units that can break units...like u can shoot and move but sooner or later u'll be out manveured due to magic...

Gunlines won't be a problem...as such but if someone play's hill tactics or just hugs cover...u might need to just work around it.....

P.s - All annoying Dark Elf Armies have Shadowblade....if not it's not that annoying...

Draconian77
21-01-2009, 12:59
I wouldn't be too worried about those problems myself.

Due to the frontage system of fantasy even a highly mobile army like HE won't be able to charge you. You can't *really* corner a flyer.

The only enemy flyers that should worry you are those with 360 degree LoS, so just make them your priority for your first turn of shooting and magic.

Against Undead you'll just want to kill off a unit at a time, mmight indeed be a struggle but I don't see you being outmanuevered. They will have to cast Invocation or risk losing casters and it you do have very good magic defense.

I have tried similar lists and whilst very effective, you may find the game a bit boring.

Autobot HQ
21-01-2009, 13:07
You actually don't need to worry about your opponent shooting you at all, some Chillwinds and Word of Pains will sort that problem out!

I agree, It was just he mentioned using lore of fire, not the dark arts.

Fenix_
21-01-2009, 14:31
this army will be far better i think with 4x 5 harpies

Jerak
21-01-2009, 15:00
hey guys
thanx for all the advice. I think i will use the dark Arts now, as it makes a lot more sense than fire when i think about it. I'm also considering the 4 Lv 2 idea i just love the amount of power dice that a lv 4 with the black staff can generate.

Autobot HQ- i think your probably right about the 3rd shades beimg overkill and i might change them for harpys but i might mis the extra few shots from them.

When i first thought of the list i didnt realise that pegasai had 3 wounds (why would they do that??) so im considering changing them to dark steeds. Thanx again i will try and get a revised list written up later on.

Jerak

Frankly
21-01-2009, 16:05
Supreme Sorceress
Level 4
Pegasus
Black Staff

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Darkstar Cloak 210 pts

Sorceress
Level 2
Pegasus
Tomke of Furion 200 pts

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

5 Dark Riders
Musician

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

8 Shades
Great Weapons 144 pts

With Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane
Rending Stars 151 pts

7 Shades
Great Weapons 126 pts

Total-1996 pts

Nice list.

Try to get lifetaker in there somewhere to help with shooting support and a dispel scroll to help with those big spells that can trash a light army like this.

Think about putting GWs on all your shades, reason being is that its ******* awesome! It gives your list a bit more hitting power that it needs. Also your DRs are there for to deal damage to light toughness enemy units, so it leaves your shades to help deal with higher toughness/armour units.

Rune of khaine should be on your assassins, your going to need to get your assassins + shades 'with GWs' into combat and supporting your magic phase, because a magic + shooting list like this won't win you games alone.

GET HARPIES is my biggest advice, you need control units that get march block, block LOS, bait and flee or your list is dead in the water against shooty, magic, fast list. Harpies are the best buy in the list for armylists like this.

Lord Dan
21-01-2009, 19:10
Draconian, your font just threw me off. I couldn't tell if it was a pinkish-white color or if I was going blind.

Draconian77
21-01-2009, 23:51
My apologies.

Dark Pegasii having 3 wounds isn't as bad as many people make out. Oh sure the steed can die but it means cannons have a 66% chance of missing the model they were aimed at.

Besides, if the steed dies after one turn of movement(it should never really die before getting s chance to move, that would just be bad deployment) you end up with a M5 skirmisher running around your opponents units. Most armies won't be able to catch it and if it looks like they might, well, thats what Harpies are for!

Lord Dan
22-01-2009, 00:06
There's the Draconian font we know and love.

Jerak
28-01-2009, 15:28
Ok im wondering what the general thought is on having 4 lv 2 mages rather that the 2 lv 2s and the lv 4.
im thinking if i drop the third shade unit and buy a little unit of harpys, say 7 ish then i should have enough points to kit out the 4 lv 2s properly but what do u guys think?

Jerak