PDA

View Full Version : Most effective lord combos

EndlessBug
21-01-2009, 09:15
So, I have my opinion on Dark Elves and Lizards (although this will prob be different when the new book comes out). But what are the best combos for all racees of lords? Both defensive and offensive, combat and magic. Please try to consider cost, i.e. don't just take a slann with all the powers. I'm talking general gameplay, someone you would use in a game, so when i say offensive I don't mean disregard defence and visa versa, just make them as offensive as you can while still being happy to play with them. No special characters.

I'll try to edit this post with the most common favorite.

Dark Elves:
Combat
Defensive
Dreadlord - Pendant of Khaeleth, Armour of Servitude, Crimson Death, Cold one, SDC (EndlessBug)
Offensive
Dreadlord - Executioners blade, blood armour, SDC (EndlessBug)
Magic
High Sorceress - Black staff, Pendant (EndlessBug)

Lizardmen
Combat
Defensive

Offensive

Magic
Slaan - BSB, War Banner, +1 dice to cast a spell, knows entire lore, 2x power stones, 2x dispel scroll (W0lf, Condottiere, Bac5665 and EndlessBug)

High Elves
Combat
Defensive
Prince Vembraces of Defence, Armor of Caledor, Talishman of Loec /Star dragon (AramilSairSianontel)
Offensive
Prince - Talisman of Loec, Guardian Phoenix, White sword, armour of caledor (EndlessBug)
Magic
Archmage - book of hoeth (EndlessBug)

Wood Elves
Combat
Defensive
Treeman Ancient - Cluster of Radiance and Annoyance of Nettlings (The Red Scourge)

Offensive

Magic
Spellweaver - Calaingors Staff + 3 Scrolls (The Red Scourge)

Warriors of Chaos
Combat
Defensive
Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Chaos Runeshield, Crown of Eternal Conquest, Juggernaut (kardar233)

Offensive
Chaos Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Sword of Striking, Armour of Damnation, Collar of Khorne, Shield, Barded Chaos Steed or Disc of Tzeentch (kardar233)

Magic

Demons of Chaos
Combat
Defensive
Great Unclean One - Lv4, trapping of nurgle, nurgles rot and noxious vapours (Drakcore Bloodtear)
Offensive
Bloodthirster - firestorm axe, soul hunger, obsidian armour (EndlessBug)
Magic
Lord of Change - Level 4, Tzeentches Will, Power Vortex (Lazarus15)

Dwarfs
Combat
Defensive
Dwarf Lord with shieldbearers, rune of stone, master rune of spite, rune of resistance and great weapon (Hospitaler)
Offensive
Dwarf Lord with shieldbearers, rune of stone, master rune of spite, and great weapon (Hospitaler)

Vampire Counts
Combat
Defensive

Offensive
Vampire Lord - red fury, master of the black arts, dreadlance, crown of the damned, helsteed. (rosja)

Magic

Tomb Kings
Combat
Defensive

Offensive
TK in a chariot (in a chariot army) and use the Golden Ankhra and Blade of Setep (Lazarus15)
Magic

Ogre Kingdoms
Combat
Defensive

Offensive

Magic

Bretonians
Combat
Defensive

Offensive

Magic

Beasts of Chaos
Combat
Defensive

Offensive

Magic

Orcs and Goblins
Combat
Defensive

Offensive
(black) orc warboss - Shaga's Screamin' Sword,Armour of Gork, boar, shield (Braad)

Magic

Empire
Combat
Defensive
Arch Lector, VHS, Shield of the Gorgon, Sword of might - War Altar (loveless)
Offensive
Arch Lector, VHS, Shield of the Gorgon, Sword of might - War Altar
(loveless)
Magic

Skaven
Combat defensive
Warlord - Bands of Power, Warpstone Amulet, Warpstone Armour, Shield, Great Weapon (moose)

Combat offensive
Warlord - Fellblade, Heavy Armour, Shield, Warplock Pistol, Talisman of Protection (moose)

Magic

Dogs of War
Combat
Defensive

Offensive
Enchanted shield/Sword of Might/Talisman of Protection (Condottiere)

Magic
Lord Wizard: 3 Dispel Scrolls/1 Power Stone (Condottiere)

p.s. credit for each character goes to the first poster of the combo or to the group who come up with it.

W0lf
21-01-2009, 11:11
For warriors the answer is by far sorc lord or none.

For new lizards i think;

Slaan BSB
+1 dice to cast a spell, 2x dispe scroll

is amazingly good value at 350 pts

Condottiere
21-01-2009, 11:21
For DoW characters, the generic ones can't compare with the Special ones.

Magic:
Lord Wizard: 3 Dispel Scrolls/1 Power Stone

Offensive: Enchanted shield/Sword of Might/Talisman of Protection

The Red Scourge
21-01-2009, 11:23
I'm a fan of the WoC Daemon Prince of Tzeentch w. Tendrils of Tzeentch, Fury of the Blood God and Homonculus.

My Wood Elves will always prefer a:
Spellweaver w. Calaingors Staff + 3 Scrolls – as Wood Elves are wuite allergic to magic.
-
Or in rare instances a Treeman Ancient w. Cluster of Radiance and Annoyance of Nettlings – 90 points for a lord choice is a decent price (basically just a monster upgrade).

Braad
21-01-2009, 12:25
I sometimes just slap Shaga's Screamin' Sword and the Armour of Gork on a (black) orc warboss. Two expensive items, but T6 on a US1 infantry model makes it quite hard to kill. Combine this with a shield and maybe a boar... Try to target locations with as many enemy characters, and it should be fine.

EndlessBug
21-01-2009, 12:32
For warriors the answer is by far sorc lord or none.

For new lizards i think;

Slaan BSB
+1 dice to cast a spell, 2x dispe scroll

is amazingly good value at 350 pts

So you're not a fan of the knows alll spells in the lore for 50 points? Personally I'd take him at 400 with this power.

W0lf
21-01-2009, 13:12
Personally my slaan is;

BSB, warbanner
+1 dice, knows full lore
5 power stones.

^^

rosja
21-01-2009, 14:34
In my Vampire army i'm using Vampire Lord (how obvious :P ) with red fury and master of the black arts, and dreadlance + crown of the damned, riding on helsteed. I love this hard hitting power, and a bit of thrill when it comes to rolling for stupidity and saving :P it's my option for offensive category

Also my wight lord with accursed armor and sword of the kings (riding on barded skeletal steed, hiding in grave guard unit with banner of the barrows), with a support from magic oriented vampire with helm of commandment makes me proud :) hmm i just mentioned about those 2 guys because i like this combo a lot :)

cheers

Godswildcard
21-01-2009, 16:24
High Elves combat: Prince w/ Dragon Armor, Star Lance riding on a star dragon

Tomb Kings: Tomb Kings w/ Destroyer of Eternities, Cloak of the dunes

Nightsword
21-01-2009, 16:42
@ Endless Bug: Both defensive and offensive are spelt with s's.

TiechoNortheal
21-01-2009, 16:42
For VC, I'm really fond of my troop shredding Lord -

Vampire Lord w/ Extra Level, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Lord of the Dead, Sword of Might, Crown of the Damned, (forget the name, but Lt. Armor that makes people attacking her strike last), and Black Pierapt.

Not a casting tank, but decent enough in the magic phase with Lv. 3, the Pierapt, and Lord of the Dead. Combat? Made to cut down troops and generate CR. High Str with re-rolls to hit, kills turning into extra attacks, plus a nice Ward Save. Also, thanks to her armor, she has little to fear from what seems like the half of the game that Always Strikes First, as she'll be able to get her attacks in before they do.

AramilSairSianontel
21-01-2009, 17:37
Well my lord is pretty effective (HE prince Star dragon Vembraces of Defence, Armor of Caledor, Talishman of Loec) but the dark elf lord with 1+ AS and the reverse ward is...well unkillable

moose
21-01-2009, 19:19
Skaven

Combat defensive:
Warlord - Bands of Power, Warpstone Amulet, Warpstone Armour, Shield, Great Weapon

Combat offensive:
Warlord - Fellblade, Heavy Armour, Shield, Warplock Pistol, Talisman of Protection

Lazarus15
21-01-2009, 20:40
For the Tomb Kings: I use a TK in a chariot (in a chariot army) and use the Golden Ankhra and Blade of Setep.

He has a 4+ AS, 4+ Ward, WS 6, S5, Ignores armor saves, and the first HIT, destroys magical armor. He has an ok armor save, a good ward save, and against other lords, especially OldBloods, and Dwarf Lords, Vampires, ETC, he ignores their retardedly good armor saves. If you do decide to add in the Icon of the sacred eye into the unit he is with, on the first round, in addition to his impact hits if charging, he has a +1 to hit.

kardar233
22-01-2009, 02:59
As no one has brought in any Chaos Lord combos, I'll post a couple of my favorites.

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Chaos Runeshield, Crown of Eternal Conquest, Juggernaut

This guy is a beast that can soak up punishment like tomorrow is very, very far away. With a -1+ save in combat and ignoring the enemy's magical weapons it's very difficult to get around his save and even if you do, you've got a Regeneration save to deal with. It's pretty much guaranteed that he'll survive as much punishment as you could ever want short of Shadowblade or a Star Dragon. Most likely several. Plus, he'll deal reasonable damage with 5 WS8 S5 attacks.

Chaos Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Sword of Striking, Armour of Damnation, Collar of Khorne, Shield, Barded Chaos Steed or Disc of Tzeentch

This is a very balanced Lord combo, good on the offensive as with WS8 plus the Sword of Striking allows him to hit most opponents on 2+ and wound on 2s or 3s with strength 5, and if he gets hit back he will have a 1+/2+ save depending on his mount, causing enemies to reroll successful hit rolls plus a 5+ ward save and Magic Resistance 2.

Those are my favourites; of course, nothing can compare with Archaeon.

EndlessBug
22-01-2009, 07:20
all edited in, still pleanty of clots open for opinion guys.

Bac5665
22-01-2009, 15:45
My Slaan is:
BSB w/ Warbanner
+1 Dice, Knows full lore, screw enemy wizards
Cupped Hands of the old ones.

He's more expensive than some of the other builds here, but he has good offense and defense, and will really mess with VC and DoC, which I like.

loveless
22-01-2009, 16:16
Well, a defensive/offensive Empire Lord would probably be an Arch Lector, VHS, Shield of the Gorgon, Weapon of Choice - War Altar to taste.

If I'm remembering my Shield right, this guy should knock his opponent down to one attack in a challenge. Put in the Sword of +1 attack and you have a stupidly hitty priest in challenges.

The Armour of "pass a strength test to hit me" could possibly be swapped for the Shield to make him more defensive.

Lazarus15
22-01-2009, 16:37
For Magic in Daemons--Lord of Change, Level IV, Tzeentches Will (re-rolls one dice per player turn, which can prevent miscast, and cause irresistable force if the ability is used in the magic phase), with either Power Vortex (gives additional dice to pool), or DARK MAGISTER (ignores the first miscast)

The other build is to use Twin Heads (+2 to cast) and DARK MAGISTER (IGNORES FIRST MISCAST)

Hospitaler
22-01-2009, 19:48
For a very hard combat lord:

Dwarf Lord with shieldbearers, rune of stone, master rune of spite, and great weapon
1+ save, 4+ ward T5 and 4 S6 attacks with 2 S4 attacks, all for 226 pts - more please :P

Or go even more defensive with either rune of steel, or resistance, or even adamant - but then you are getting too expensive for something with M3!

Drakcore Bloodtear
22-01-2009, 21:00
GUO, Lv4, trapping of nurgle, nurgles rot and noxious vapours=670pt thats offensive, defensive and magic

EndlessBug
22-01-2009, 21:05
That's great guys thanks, still loads to fill in! Bac 5665, took the war banner idea, 25 points for the combat res is good, but I think the power stones/scrolls are more important than defence. Though the misscast item is a good idea, how many points was it?

kardar233
22-01-2009, 23:55
And once again, more lord combos:

Chaos Sorcerer Lord: Mark of Tzeentch OR Nurgle, Power Familiar OR Spell Familiar, Book of Secrets, Chaos Runeshield, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Conjoined Homunculus, Extra Level, Chaos Dragon

While I'd only take this guy in 3000+ point games, he is truly a beast. Generating 5/6 power dice a turn, this wizard knows 4/5 Mark spells plus one from Death, Fire or Shadow. He's no slouch in combat either, as he is riding a Dragon, and a very protected one at that, as the few attacks with enough strength to reasonably wound a Dragon are generally nullified due to the fact that he ignores magical weapons. I always loved the idea of a Sorcerer flying into the enemy ranks, causing Terror tests all around, and those that stand their ground will take D6 SD6 hits that ignore armour saves from a casting of Rot, Glorious Rot.

Vampire Lord: Hunter in the Dark, Red Fury OR Aura of Dark Majesty, Supernatural Horror, Sword of Striking, Flayed Hauberk OR Armour of Night, Crown of the Damned, Black Periapt, Talisman of the Lycni

For those in favour of the first turn charge, I present the patented KillYaEveryTimeEvenWhenYaRunAway Vampire Lord. This beast takes Terror-bombing to a whole new level as he appears 10" away from your opponent's lines and can charge immediately with a 9" move. The unfortunate unit that is targeted by this monster will often run and be run down as he pursues 3D6", bringing him into the core of the enemy's lines causing everybody to take Terror tests, and you can make them take the tests at -1 if you choose to sacrifice some mashy-enemy-units-into-pulp ability. Assuming you don't, you then have a S5 T5 3-wound 9" move monstrosity with a 2+ save and a 4+ ward that will hit EVERYTHING (except Elf, Chaos and Dwarf Lords) on 2+, wounding probably on a 2+ and every unsaved wound allows you to make another attack.

Major_Blackhart
23-01-2009, 01:11
WoC Lord
Another option one has, and I've seen alot of it, the same outfitting of the Defensive Lord of Chaos using a Jugger, Runeshield, and Crown of Conquest. However, I was thinking about just giving him a touch of offensive capabilities as well, so a Flail would be good I think. Giving him +2 strength in the first round of combat no matter what is pretty nasty if you dont mind not using the shield during that turn.

For a pretty vicious attackaty lord, my idea is this:
Runesword, Bronze Armor, Necrotic Phylactery, MoK, Pendant of Slaanesh, Shield, Juggernaut.
If he's brought down to one wound, he has 8 attacks at S6, not counting the frenzy status for MoK (if he's still got it by then). He's purely offensive tho, and other than the Armor, has real no protection against anything else.

Captain Plowman
23-01-2009, 02:00
Empire Offence: General w/ full plate armour, shield, pistol, Runefang, riding a Griffon. very fast and zippy, causes terror, can comfortably break a unit single handed in combat, can maul characters, even other monsters, although he is a little pricey at 404pts. not too bad in my books. the only downside is no ward save, but that can be fixed with a timely Armour of Contempt spell

Empire Combat: Templar Grand Master w/ full plate armour, shield, lance, barded warhorse, Laurels of Victory and Holy Relic. Packs a mighty punch. Str 6, wounds are doubled for combat res, he can potentially score 9 points of combat res single handed. 1+ armour save, 4+ ward save ensures he sticks around, and he and his retinue are immune to psycology, which is icing on the cake. a steal at only 245pts. my personal favourite.

Empire Magic: Wizard Lord (Lvl 4) w/ Armour of Tarnus, Pegasus, Grey Wand, Power Stone, Biting Blade. the Armour of Tarnue grants 5+ armour save and still allows him to use magic, the pegasus means he can be where he needs to be or can get out of trouble quickly. The grey wand is invaluable, granting +1 to cast. The Power Stone is keen. wait until you have no casting dice left, so your opponent will use all his remaining dice on your ''last'' spell. then pull out the power stone. you have 2 dice, he has none. zap something. again, no ward save, but again, Armour of Contempt can fix that. Biting Blade gives him a little extra kick in CC, and I had 5 points to spare :p he weighs in at 360pts

Captain Plowman
23-01-2009, 02:34
Ogre Offensive/Combat: Tyrant w/ brace of handguns, 2 sword gnoblars, luck gnoblar, heavy armour, Seigebreaker, Daemon Killer Scars/Bullgut, Giantbreaker bigname, Wyrdstone Necklace. brace of handguns is cool, sword gnoblars give 2 extra str 2 attacks, luck gnoblar allows him to re-roll 1 failed armour or ward save. Seigebreaker and Giantbreaker make him Str 9 :eek: daemon killer scars makes him cause terror, bullgut makes his impact hits armour piercing and unit str 6, meaning he and his retinue will often outnumber opponents, 5+ armour save, 5+ ward save. Very nasty. 343/338 pts.

Ogre Magic: Slaughtermaster w/ 2 tooth gnoblars, luck gnoblar, Bangstick, Grut's Sickle, Wydstone Necklace, Power Stone. Tooth gnblars are one use only and give him +1 to cast. Grut's sickle allows him to cause a wound on his unit and gain an extra casting dice. Bangstick is D6 str 4 hits bound spell. Power stone use is same as Empire wizard (see above), except it can be combined with the sickle to gain 3 dice. keen. This guy can unleash a terrifying barrage of magic. he knows all 6 spells from the gut magic list. he can make friendly units better, he can decimate enemies and heal himself and friendly characters. he is truely terrifying in the magic phase, and is no slouch in combat either. 320pts

GuyLeCheval
23-01-2009, 13:36
Skaven:

Magic: Grey seer on screaming bell w. Warpstone amulet and 3 powerstones/dispel scrolls. (What fits your playing stile most.)

moose
23-01-2009, 13:50
Skaven:

Magic: Grey seer on screaming bell w. Warpstone amulet and 3 powerstones/dispel scrolls. (What fits your playing stile most.)

I took that build the last time I played, however. I like warpstone amulet plus 7 warpstone tokens :skull: .... and yes my grey seers face nearly always melts off.

vodrake
23-01-2009, 15:02
Although not actually a lord, im going to put a vampire hero down here anyway becuase he is astounding.

Vampire, BSB, Walking Death, Eternal Hatred, Sword of Might, Talisman of Lycni, Flayed Hauberk - 225

He is fantastic in so many ways, first up he has a static combat res of 2 and ignores an extra crumble for the BSB. Next he has 3 str 6 attacks re-rolling missed hits every turn. Combine that with his 18" charge and 2+ armour save mean that he can take down fast cav, fliers, war machines and units of knights. He can also hold up ranked infantry providing there aren't any counter charges. And he's also a level 1 wizard, so if he does take a wound, he can heal himself.

siphon101
23-01-2009, 15:07
Although not actually a lord, im going to put a vampire hero down here anyway becuase he is astounding.

Vampire, BSB, Walking Death, Eternal Hatred, Sword of Might, Talisman of Lycni, Flayed Hauberk - 225

He is fantastic in so many ways, first up he has a static combat res of 2 and ignores an extra crumble for the BSB. Next he has 3 str 6 attacks re-rolling missed hits every turn. Combine that with his 18" charge and 2+ armour save mean that he can take down fast cav, fliers, war machines and units of knights. He can also hold up ranked infantry providing there aren't any counter charges. And he's also a level 1 wizard, so if he does take a wound, he can heal himself.

combine that with ghoulkin and you have one heck of a jack in the box. 26" charge on the first turn!

Bac5665
23-01-2009, 15:22
That's great guys thanks, still loads to fill in! Bac 5665, took the war banner idea, 25 points for the combat res is good, but I think the power stones/scrolls are more important than defence. Though the misscast item is a good idea, how many points was it?

I don't have the book, but I believe its 45. Someone is more than welcome to correct me.

GuyLeCheval
23-01-2009, 16:07
and yes my grey seers face nearly always melts off.

That's why I'm suggesting this. For those who are not so keen on risks...;)

Warboss Antoni
23-01-2009, 20:40
For Orcs+Goblins, you need to run a real cheap warboss. You have no chance to outfight anyone these days, so make him cheap and hope he lives long enough to give use of his bubble.
Black Orc Warboss
Heavy Armour, Best Boss At, Enchanted sheild. Best Basha Optional.

Daniel Skaven Blight
24-01-2009, 21:33
For Skaven the best combos I have found are

Blade of Delirium
Cautious Shield
Heavy Armour
Warpstone Amulet
This makes your Lord reasonable in challenges, especially against the empire

Weeping Blade
Cautious Shield
Heavy Armour
Warpstone Amulet
Is good against ogres,

I feel warpstone armour is a little over rated

Zak19b7
25-01-2009, 02:56
I'll just do the two armies I play
Vampires:
Offensive/Defensive (I think it's both)-
Vampire Lord
Red Fury
Walking Death
Dreadlance
Nightshroud
Wristbands of Black Gold

When this monster gets into combat, you're pretty much guarenteed 10 wounds, and with the Nightshroud, they will never hit you back unless you're fighting against a Great Unclean One with 10 wounds. The Wristbands of Black Gold keep you safe until you hit enemy lines, where it isn't so much that you're defensive as much as you're killing them before they have a chance to kill you.

Magic-
Vampire Lord
Level 3 Upgrade
Dark Acolyte (Level 4 Upgrade)
Master of the Black Arts
Flayed Hauberk
Wristbands of Black Gold
Helm of Commandment

I love this combo, it just oozes cheeze. Stick him behind a unit of Grave Guard while he gives them his WS 7 and casts a ridiculous amount of powerful spells. It's great. If you don't want to run him with the WS hat, you can switch out the Armor, Wristbands, and Helm for a Bound Spell and Skull Staff, which also makes a very powerful but slightly less cheesy combo.

Warriors of Chaos-
Defensive-
Lord of Chaos
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut
Helm of Everlasting Conquest
Chaos Runesword / Shield(if you want some punch) OR
Enchanted Shield / Collar of Khorne (if you want MORE defense)

This lord is ridiculously awesome IMHO, and I prefer him with the Chaos Runesword, as a 0+ AS is hard enough to get through, and Regen just makes it worse, but with the shield and the collar you have a -1+AS 6+ ward and Regen, along with Magic Res (2).

Lazarus15
27-01-2009, 16:58
Another build which might be a little scarier for the High Elf Prince is:

Prince: Halberd, Shield, Dragon Armor, Star Dragon, Star Lance, Vembrances of Defense

This guy on the charge has four WS7, S7 attacks that ignores armor saves, with the 7 attacks at WS7 S7 from the dragon. In addition if he is charged he has 4, S5 attacks, with the dragon attacks too. He has a 4+, re-rollable armor save, with a 4+ ward when using the lance, and a 5+, re-rollable, 4+ ward with the halberd. Not alot will usually touch this guy.

Lord Dan
27-01-2009, 17:10
Bretonnia:

Combat: Bretonnian Lord, Barded Warhorse, Lance or Artois, Armor of Agilulf, Virtue of Confidence, Gauntlet of the Duel
(Enemies cannot refuse challenges, re-roll to hit and wound in challenges, WS10, killing blow)

Defense (they're not too good at this): Bretonnian Lord, Shield, Questing Vow, Barded Warhorse, Armor of the Midsummer sun, Insignia of the Quest
(-1 to hit in combat, -1 to shoot him, 3+ ward save if reduced to 1 wound)

sneb
27-01-2009, 17:21
my all time favorite lord
vampire lord blood drinker book of arkhan flayed hauberk red fury infinite hatred and walking dead

put him a a GG unit with a drakenhoff banner BSB....very dangerous!